2017 St. Louis Mayoral Primary By Precinct
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:41:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  2017 St. Louis Mayoral Primary By Precinct
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2017 St. Louis Mayoral Primary By Precinct  (Read 1258 times)
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 01, 2017, 06:34:18 PM »
« edited: April 02, 2017, 09:39:44 PM by Ebsy »

Lots of work went into making this one. Tricky to figure out just how to map 4 candidates on the same precinct map.

Edit: changed source.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 06:41:56 PM »

I don't see a map.  Are you using imagur to host it?  If so, can you please try hosting the map in our gallery, instead?  Imagur=dead images for many of us.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2017, 07:39:09 PM »

I don't see a map.  Are you using imagur to host it?  If so, can you please try hosting the map in our gallery, instead?  Imagur=dead images for many of us.
Okay, I changed the image to a version hosted on atlas. I hope that helps.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2017, 08:37:20 PM »

It definitely does.  I can see your map now.

It looks like there was a real racial divide in the results, with white parts of south St. Louis going mainly for Krewson, and the more African-American northern parts of the city going for Jones and/or Reed, correct?  Did Jones and Reed split the black vote, letting Krewson win the primary?
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2017, 10:12:30 PM »

It definitely does.  I can see your map now.

It looks like there was a real racial divide in the results, with white parts of south St. Louis going mainly for Krewson, and the more African-American northern parts of the city going for Jones and/or Reed, correct?  Did Jones and Reed split the black vote, letting Krewson win the primary?
It's something like that, though not so clean. French, Reed and Jones all split the black vote, getting roughly equal shares, though French's was concentrated in his own ward. Where Jones seperated herself from the pack was crossover appeal to some more liberal white voters in South City, especially in the neighborhoods/wards surrounding Tower Grove Park. Jones' best performance was not in black neighborhoods on the North side or south of Midtown, but in these gentrifying neighborhoods. Krewson eked out a narrow win off of overwhelming margins in heavily catholic middle class Southwest City (areas like St. Louis Hills, Lindenwood Park, The Hill, Southhampton and Princeton Heights), while tying Jones in the diverse Central Corridor, stretching from Krewson's own 28th ward covering wealthy whites in the Central West End on the central edge of the city to downtown near the Mississippi River. Reed, despite having run for mayor four years ago and getting most of the black vote, did alright on the North Side, winning a lot of precincts by narrow margins, but this was not enough to beat Jones' added white voters in South City.
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2017, 09:41:31 PM »

2013 Results for comparison:

Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2017, 10:46:50 PM »

Can you tell me about the candidates?
Ebsy
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2017, 11:12:50 PM »

Yeah. Krewson is white and the other 3 are black.

Krewson: Longtime alderman from the 28th ward in the Central corridor, who ran for office after her husband was shot during a mugging in the 90s. Is solidly liberal but more conservative on crime and policing issues. Ran as the candidate of the South City white Democratic establishment (unions, Catholics, ethnics).

Jones: Was elected Treasurer of the City of St. Louis after a short stint in the state house of representatives. Her father was the City's Comptroller in the 80s and 90s before he was convicted of tax fraud. Ran as a racial justice candidate, combining some support from African Americans all over the City as well as some white progressives in the Tower Grove Park area. Endorsed by many progressive groups.

Reed: President of the Board of Aldermen, originally from the 6th ward (Lafayette Square). Ran for Mayor against the incumbent, Slay, in 2013, and lost decidedly in a fairly racially polarized election, though had the support of the firefighters. Had some crossover appeal to public workers and gentrifiers.

French: Alderman for the 21st ward. Catapulted to political fame during the Ferguson protests/ riots, where he was arrested while performing "citizen journalism" on twitter. Arguably had crossover appeal to white liberals that desired change in South St. Louis, but apparently most of them broke for Jones.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2017, 10:19:45 AM »

Yeah. Krewson is white and the other 3 are black.

Krewson: Longtime alderman from the 28th ward in the Central corridor, who ran for office after her husband was shot during a mugging in the 90s. Is solidly liberal but more conservative on crime and policing issues. Ran as the candidate of the South City white Democratic establishment (unions, Catholics, ethnics).

Jones: Was elected Treasurer of the City of St. Louis after a short stint in the state house of representatives. Her father was the City's Comptroller in the 80s and 90s before he was convicted of tax fraud. Ran as a racial justice candidate, combining some support from African Americans all over the City as well as some white progressives in the Tower Grove Park area. Endorsed by many progressive groups.

Reed: President of the Board of Aldermen, originally from the 6th ward (Lafayette Square). Ran for Mayor against the incumbent, Slay, in 2013, and lost decidedly in a fairly racially polarized election, though had the support of the firefighters. Had some crossover appeal to public workers and gentrifiers.

French: Alderman for the 21st ward. Catapulted to political fame during the Ferguson protests/ riots, where he was arrested while performing "citizen journalism" on twitter. Arguably had crossover appeal to white liberals that desired change in South St. Louis, but apparently most of them broke for Jones.

LYDA KREWSON 17253 32.04%
TISHAURA JONES 16374 30.40%
LEWIS REED 9856 18.30%
ANTONIO FRENCH 8530 15.84%

also ran:

JEFFREY BOYD 1439 2.67%
WILLIAM HAAS 257 0.48%
JIMMIE MATTHEWS 145 0.27%

It would be interesting to look at differences in turnout between the primary and the general election.

Turnout for the primaries was 55,614, with 53,854 voting in the Democratic Primary. Turnout for the general election was 59,134 with 39,375 voting for the Democratic candidate.

So did Democratic voters vote in the primary, but not in the general election, but were replaced by Republican voters in the general. Or did Democratic voters switch and vote for the Republican candidate.

It would be interesting whether Jones' first name tipped the primary result.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies