TX-SEN: True to Form
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 12:25:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  TX-SEN: True to Form
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 68
Author Topic: TX-SEN: True to Form  (Read 160022 times)
Chief Justice Keef
etr906
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #800 on: September 03, 2018, 05:34:39 PM »

A lighthearted reminder: a Labor Day picnic is a great place to see Ted Cruz's father. A Dallas motorcade? Not so much.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #801 on: September 03, 2018, 06:05:20 PM »

Lol.

Guys is it just me or is Ted Cruz not good at this politics thing
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #802 on: September 03, 2018, 06:48:48 PM »

Again, I must ask why does anyone (other than Republicans, of course) hate this guy!?
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #803 on: September 03, 2018, 08:51:11 PM »

Hogg is profane and not the best spokesperson for his cause. He also comes off as arrogant and petulant.
Lognog
United States

« Reply #804 on: September 03, 2018, 09:09:34 PM »

Lol.

"If you want a guy to grab a beer with, I may not be that guy."
-Ted Cruz
new_patomic

« Reply #805 on: September 03, 2018, 11:28:15 PM »

Lol.

These are the kind of ads I expect to HELP Beto. He's not some phony politician who is afraid to express his frustration.

Nothing says "Tough like Texas" like whining about someone's profanity and sucking up to the guy who insulted your wife.

Those are just texas values. Deal with it.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #806 on: September 03, 2018, 11:35:37 PM »

Lol.

These are the kind of ads I expect to HELP Beto. He's not some phony politician who is afraid to express his frustration.

Nothing says "Tough like Texas" like whining about someone's profanity and sucking up to the guy who insulted your wife.

Those are just texas values. Deal with it.

They just keep making him look cooler.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #807 on: September 04, 2018, 02:21:23 AM »

Things will get awkward when these people find out that Lyin' Ted was born in Canada.

Ronnie
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #808 on: September 04, 2018, 03:21:49 AM »

I don't hate him, but:

https://twitter.com/davidhogg111/status/1009040997995687936?lang=en
https://twitter.com/davidhogg111/status/998779372717912064?lang=en

He's quite young, so he has time to change, but right now he generally strikes me as a hashtag resistance liberal.  I am to the left of that, and so are millions of other young people. 

Anyway, his billboard campaign is cheeky, but I don't think it'll change anyone's vote.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #809 on: September 04, 2018, 04:28:19 AM »

Hogg is profane and not the best spokesperson for his cause. He also comes off as arrogant and petulant.

Have you ever met an 18 year old before?

If you think swearing is the biggest problem with politics right now you’re living a sheltered life
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #810 on: September 04, 2018, 07:48:25 AM »

Lol.

He couldn't defeat Trump in the Republican primary even with the RNC rigging it in his favor even more than the Dems did for Hillary. In retrospect, that should have been a huge warning sign for his political future.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #811 on: September 04, 2018, 08:43:46 AM »

Dems lead the GCB in an ABC poll by a 14% margin.  I assume some of that 14% trickles down to Texas.  Maybe we'll even see a Beto lead in some polls soon.
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #812 on: September 04, 2018, 08:48:23 AM »

Dems lead the GCB in an ABC poll by a 14% margin.  I assume some of that 14% trickles down to Texas.  Maybe we'll even see a Beto lead in some polls soon.

With how things are going on the GCB and in the Beto trend in polls, we may have Beto leading by election day. Thats wishful thinking though.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #813 on: September 04, 2018, 08:55:24 AM »

With how things are going on the GCB and in the Beto trend in polls, we may have Beto leading by election day. Thats wishful thinking though.
Yes.  I'm still bullish on my prediction that Cruz wins by 3-5% based on current polling.  The national environment may be nasty for Republicans, but I still don't think it's bad news to be a Republican in Texas...yet.
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #814 on: September 04, 2018, 10:25:39 AM »

Yes.  I'm still bullish on my prediction that Cruz wins by 3-5% based on current polling.  The national environment may be nasty for Republicans, but I still don't think it's bad news to be a Republican in Texas...yet.

Sounds about right.
cp
United Kingdom

« Reply #815 on: September 04, 2018, 10:41:02 AM »

Fair, but it's equally valid to say that if Cruz was going to lose, what has happened so far is pretty much what you would expect to see at this stage. Give it another few weeks. If Cruz continues to deteriorate, or there's a major event that works in Beto's favour, that'll be the next step.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #816 on: September 04, 2018, 12:57:11 PM »

Have you ever met an 18 year old before?

If you think swearing is the biggest problem with politics right now you’re living a sheltered life

I am 20 (as you would know if you looked at my profile), and I'm very well aware of the kind of language and behavior engaged in by peers my age. That doesn't mean that I have to condone it. You would also know, from my prior comments on this board, that I have long held this position on such issues. I don't condone Hogg's profanity any more than I condone that of Trump himself.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #817 on: September 04, 2018, 01:13:23 PM »

https://www.alternet.org/beto-orourke-rise-anti-cruz-billboards-featuring-trump-could-arrive-right-time
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #818 on: September 04, 2018, 01:18:15 PM »

Lol.

It's just you, he did after all take down the Lt. Governor and win a senate seat.

That being said Beto is much better at it.
MAINEiac4434
Junior Chimp
France

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -8.78

« Reply #819 on: September 04, 2018, 01:40:04 PM »

Lol.

It's just you, he did after all take down the Lt. Governor and win a senate seat.

Being a right-winger and winning a Republican primary in Texas is not a sign of political skill.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #820 on: September 04, 2018, 02:28:08 PM »

Lol.

Being a right-winger and winning a Republican primary in Texas is not a sign of political skill.

Winning a primary against a well established statewide officeholder in TX is much more difficult than I think you realize.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #821 on: September 04, 2018, 02:31:56 PM »

Lol.

Winning a primary against a well established statewide officeholder in TX is much more difficult than I think you realize.

Under the election law of most other states, Cruz would have lost since he only won in the run-off. The first round of voting went to Dewhurst.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #822 on: September 04, 2018, 02:33:45 PM »

Lol.

Under the election law of most other states, Cruz would have lost since he only won in the run-off. The first round of voting went to Dewhurst.

Exactly, that is what makes it more impressive. He finished well behind in the 1st round.
junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #823 on: September 04, 2018, 03:55:25 PM »

Good lord....Lying Ted is losing it:

Ted Cruz Says 'That's Great' to Supporter Who Suggests Sending Beto O'Rourke 'Back to Ireland'
IceAgeComing
United Kingdom

« Reply #824 on: September 04, 2018, 04:05:46 PM »

I am 20 (as you would know if you looked at my profile), and I'm very well aware of the kind of language and behavior engaged in by peers my age. That doesn't mean that I have to condone it. You would also know, from my prior comments on this board, that I have long held this position on such issues. I don't condone Hogg's profanity any more than I condone that of Trump himself.

I'm sorry; but this post is the best example of... Lib-Dem-ery (don't quite know if that term translates very well) that I have ever read.  The worst sort of snowflakery that only the finest Liberal Democrats manage to portray; a lot of virtue signalling to show that they are *respectable* while tone policing the survivors of a school shooting.

There's also the fundamental fact that there is a clear difference between an elected politician like Trump being a vulgar person and an activist using vulgar words to stress a point; and to compare the two indicates a lack of understanding of the way that the world works.  Hogg is someone who survived a school shooting; saw many of his friends shot and murdered and who was incredibly lucky to survive.  He's also seen the government do exactly nothing to prevent situations like that from happening again.    I'd say that he has a lot to be angry about and sometimes you have to let that anger out: internalising feelings like that is a good way of causing yourself harm.  Meanwhile Trump is a vulgar person: his utterances indicate his character flaws and weren't about demonstrates righteous anger.  However to someone like you who seems to have no firm principles bar being 'centrist' (which is a term that means very little; since the centre has a habit of drifting around in the breeze like a bin bag at a little used railway station) you seem to perceive the two as being the same; apparently unable to see the difference between someone who uses vulgar words to demonstrate the intensity of their views and someone who's just a vulgar person.

There's also the fact that there's a clear difference between an elected politician and a political activist.  Trump is meant to represent America on the international stage and to act as the leader of the country and clearly his vulgarity makes him very inappropriate for that job.  Its the same for all political figures; I get irrationally annoyed when you see politicians (mainly from the left although probably from all over) who use rude words as a way of looking cool and down with it - not to demonstrate intensity of feeling or many of the other reasons why a person swears but merely as another form of political messaging.  Hogg is a political activist; he's the face of a movement sure but hardly the key leadership figure that Trump his: and he's quite clearly an authentic person and his language demonstrates that really.  There's also the fact that there is something incredibly, incredibly dumb about comparing an old man who's elected to the highest office in the land and a young person who's been forced into the political world because of a very sad, sad thing that happened to him.

On a more on-topic subject: the incompetence of the way that Cruz is campaigning is rather astounding to me: and while I think that he's the favourite (and it'd take like every poll showing Beto ten points in front for me not to think that) it is possible that the Democrats pick this one up which I never thought would happen.  Does require a significant amount of work still though - and part of me wonders whether that might be what kills the Republicans in places like this: complacency can be what loses unexpectedly close elections.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 ... 68  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies