TX-SEN: True to Form
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 04:43:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  TX-SEN: True to Form
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 68
Author Topic: TX-SEN: True to Form  (Read 160076 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1500 on: October 30, 2018, 12:23:03 AM »

Reapportionment/redistricting is going to be really, really tough for the GOP in 2020. A lot of Congressmen are going to be wailing for Trump 2016/2020 and Cruz 2018 districts, but there's only so many votes to go around in a TX the GOP wins by 5-10 rather than 15-20 as it was at the last redistricting. People will have to be triaged, and new Dem sinks constructed.

State House will be insane. 150 districts with the current population growth patterns is going to lead to a bunch of seats sucked out of rural Texas and into suburban/urban areas.
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1501 on: October 30, 2018, 01:01:08 AM »

Reapportionment/redistricting is going to be really, really tough for the GOP in 2020. A lot of Congressmen are going to be wailing for Trump 2016/2020 and Cruz 2018 districts, but there's only so many votes to go around in a TX the GOP wins by 5-10 rather than 15-20 as it was at the last redistricting. People will have to be triaged, and new Dem sinks constructed.

State House will be insane. 150 districts with the current population growth patterns is going to lead to a bunch of seats sucked out of rural Texas and into suburban/urban areas.

mmmmm it depends. For Congress and State Senate, there are a lot of inefficiencies in the current gerrymanders that, if they want to and are willing to draw ugly lines, can be reduced and taken advantage of. Yeah, they will probably want to concede a proper full Congressional District in Austin, but  I am skeptical that they really need to do anything beyond that if they don't want to. It is all a matter of willpower, of how much they want to gerrymander it up.

Also, at least when the current gerrymander was originally drawn, they still had at least a bit more reason to fear the occasional possibility of some rural Dem resurgence. But not any more.

However, state House is indeed more difficult, simply because it is not possible to combine rural/suburban areas in so many districts in quite the same way. For example, how many State House seats do they really want to try to squeeze out of Dallas and Harris counties, and e.g. do they want to concede 1 in Collin/Williamson, or risk losing more later?

And in any case, at this point Cruz is (IMO) more likely to win by more than 5 than less.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #1502 on: October 30, 2018, 01:04:38 AM »

mmmmm it depends. For Congress and State Senate, there are a lot of inefficiencies in the current gerrymanders that, if they want to and are willing to draw ugly lines, can be reduced and taken advantage of. Yeah, they will probably want to concede a proper full Congressional District in Austin, but  I am skeptical that they really need to do anything beyond that if they don't want to. It is all a matter of willpower, of how much they want to gerrymander it up.

Also, at least when the current gerrymander was originally drawn, they still had at least a bit more reason to fear the occasional possibility of some rural Dem resurgence. But not any more.

However, state House is indeed more difficult, simply because it is not possible to combine rural/suburban areas in so many districts in quite the same way. For example, how many State House seats do they really want to try to squeeze out of Dallas and Harris counties, and e.g. do they want to concede 1 in Collin/Williamson, or risk losing more later?

And in any case, at this point Cruz is (IMO) more likely to win by more than 5 than less.

Bold prediction from INCUMBENT Cruz Will Win Wink
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1503 on: October 30, 2018, 05:58:50 AM »

I follow Beto on socials, and he is doing literally multiple on multiple events everyday. Meeting voters at like 5-10 Early voting sites a day, pop up rallies. I mean, you have to give him credit. He is GRINDING. The Question is, is Ted doing anything like this? I'm genuinely curious. It would seem to me that Beto is out there working, while Ted is kind of coasting, assuming the Rs will come out and vote for him regardless (which is definitely possible). Beto is doing all of these events, but it feels like you hear nothing from Ted?
Very Legal & Very Cool
RFA09

« Reply #1504 on: October 30, 2018, 09:36:40 PM »

This is amazing!

YOUNG IN FLAME HE IN VOTING MODE
It's November 6th I pull up to the booth
She said, "How you votin'?" I said, "Not Cruz"
All we really wanted, was just the truth
But Ted you Lyin', you gonna lose

Shorty FaceTime me out the blue

Brett Kavanaugh brought the beer and the boof

icemanj
Rookie
United States

« Reply #1505 on: October 30, 2018, 10:11:33 PM »

I follow Beto on socials, and he is doing literally multiple on multiple events everyday. Meeting voters at like 5-10 Early voting sites a day, pop up rallies. I mean, you have to give him credit. He is GRINDING. The Question is, is Ted doing anything like this? I'm genuinely curious. It would seem to me that Beto is out there working, while Ted is kind of coasting, assuming the Rs will come out and vote for him regardless (which is definitely possible). Beto is doing all of these events, but it feels like you hear nothing from Ted?

If you look at Cruz's Facebook and website etc., yes, he is out there campaigning too, but he didn't really start to until Labor day, while Beto has been going at it like this for the better part of 2 years.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #1506 on: October 30, 2018, 11:59:37 PM »

If you look at Cruz's Facebook and website etc., yes, he is out there campaigning too, but he didn't really start to until Labor day, while Beto has been going at it like this for the better part of 2 years.

And it has been a vain effort, as the polls have shown throughout the year. Texas is not yet ready to flip to the Democrats, though O'Rourke will probably post one of the best performances for them here since 1994.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #1507 on: October 31, 2018, 12:49:05 AM »

And it has been a vain effort, as the polls have shown throughout the year. Texas is not yet ready to flip to the Democrats, though O'Rourke will probably post one of the best performances for them here since 1994.

I would not recommend going that far yet buddy. He probably won't win himself, but there is a good chance that he will provide the coattails to flip 1-3 federal house seats in the state from the gop to the dems, which is also still a good victory, or at least not an effort in vain.
Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1508 on: October 31, 2018, 11:38:42 AM »

Seems like a good article

The Race Is More Normal Than You Think

You must be logged in to read this quote.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1509 on: October 31, 2018, 11:51:45 AM »

Honestly, Dems need to GIVE UP on this race and work to rescue McCaskill and Donnelly!
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #1510 on: October 31, 2018, 11:54:11 AM »

Honestly, Dems need to GIVE UP on this race and work to rescue McCaskill and Donnelly!

No, Dems dont need to give up on ANY race, because they dont need to. All of their incumbents, from Warren to Heitkamp, are well stocked, and throwing more money wont do anything. Besides, its better to keep a wide playing field, just in case.
SCNCmod

« Reply #1511 on: November 02, 2018, 06:25:11 AM »

Is Beto's almost complete lack of a TV ads strategy... other than his 2 or 3 poor shot & poor edited ads...

1) A good strategy given the type of campaign Beto is running.
or
2) A huge mistake, by an otherwise brilliantly run campaign.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1512 on: November 02, 2018, 06:31:20 AM »

David Byler's piece is the worst of punditry though, because it's when the pundits assume they are right. They don't offer a "hey, we could be totally wrong though" approach. They assume that what they're saying is all correct and there's no way it could go a different way.
GM Team Member and Deputy PPT WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1513 on: November 02, 2018, 06:35:17 AM »

Is Beto's almost complete lack of a TV ads strategy... other than his 2 or 3 poor shot & poor edited ads...

1) A good strategy given the type of campaign Beto is running.
or
2) A huge mistake, by an otherwise brilliantly run campaign.

I say 1. His main focus is the ground game, not flooding the airwaves. His ground game campaigning has probably given him just as much media attention as a few good ads would, maybe even more.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1514 on: November 02, 2018, 11:42:01 AM »

I still think that Cruz wins, but something spooked him today:

junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #1515 on: November 02, 2018, 02:49:16 PM »

I still think that Cruz wins, but something spooked him today:

Yank2133
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1516 on: November 02, 2018, 03:02:48 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Yeah. Cruz has done this before during the cycle, in which acts like a candidate down 3-4 points, then a guy who is ahead.

It doesn't mean Beto is secretly ahead or anything, but it shows how crappy of a politician he is.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #1517 on: November 02, 2018, 06:21:17 PM »

Cruz would not be posting that if he was 8-9 pts ahead. Even 5.
GeorgiaModerate
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1518 on: November 02, 2018, 06:26:35 PM »

Why is O'Keefe not in jail yet?
Aurelio21
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #1519 on: November 02, 2018, 06:34:43 PM »
« Edited: November 02, 2018, 06:38:23 PM by Aurelio21 »

Why is O'Keefe not in jail yet?

Three (edited) things should be clear:
A)  O'Keefe, Jacon A Wohl and Pundit Gateway play in the same C-classed-league for promotion into the B-classed-league with Alex Jones.
B) In a role-reversed model, Beto would now lose his 5-% advantage in a blue state and likely the election, too.
C) Sadly, he will not go negative on this Cruz-gaffe and paint him as "Alex-Jones-Contributor" and scare moderate and center-right independents away (asymmetrical warfare, as practized here by now soon-not-anymore chancellor Angela Merkel.

Florida Man for Crime
The Impartial Spectator
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1520 on: November 03, 2018, 12:34:19 PM »

junior chįmp
Mondale_was_an_insidejob
Junior Chimp
Croatia
« Reply #1521 on: November 03, 2018, 10:07:19 PM »

Sweat Ted....sweat!

Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1522 on: November 03, 2018, 10:15:07 PM »

Sweat Ted....sweat!

Feels like expectation setting
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1523 on: November 03, 2018, 10:26:38 PM »

Sweat Ted....sweat!

Agreed, but usually that happens much earlier than the weekend before.
ON Progressive
OntarioProgressive
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -8.70

« Reply #1524 on: November 03, 2018, 11:09:06 PM »

Sweat Ted....sweat!

That's almost certainly what it is. The GOP did this in every congressional special this cycle.
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 68  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies