Belgian Politics & Elections: Federal, regional & EP elections on June 9, 2024
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:07:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Belgian Politics & Elections: Federal, regional & EP elections on June 9, 2024
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 47
Poll
Question: Do you think Chez Nous will get seats?
No, they won't get even 2,5% in Wallonia and Brussels  (what would happen accoding to recent polls)

No, but they will get votes in the 2,5%-4,99% rango in Wallonia and/or Brussels

No. They will pass the 5% threshold in Wallonia and/or Brussels, but somehow they won't get seats.

Yes, they will get 1-2 seats

Yes, they will get more than 2 seats

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 16

Author Topic: Belgian Politics & Elections: Federal, regional & EP elections on June 9, 2024  (Read 137102 times)
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #600 on: March 16, 2020, 07:46:01 AM »

Last night all the democratic parties decide to afford the government of current affairs full emergency powers for 6 months.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #601 on: April 29, 2020, 04:06:46 AM »

Looks like the PS is already reconsidering its options going into the end of the emergency government's term in june, with rumours that Magnette will explode the majority in place. Already several other parties had distanced themselves, but it means a resouring of relations between Magnette and the MR. Magnette is under considerable pressure from the big trade unions to play hard ball. 
GlobeSoc
The walrus

« Reply #602 on: May 11, 2020, 08:58:58 PM »

Why is there a cordon sanitaire on the PTB?
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #603 on: May 11, 2020, 09:56:45 PM »

It’s a real party of the working class in that it is free from the influences of those holding the most capital.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #604 on: May 12, 2020, 12:55:44 AM »
« Edited: May 12, 2020, 04:10:05 AM by Zinneke »

There is none officially.

It’s a real party of the working class in that it is free from the influences of those holding the most capital.

Its a front for a particular brand of Marxist anti-imp cultists who grand stand about their actions helping the working class but who actually have very sinister views behind them. Have they disowned Ludo Martens and his Stalinism yet? Or their brief foray into islamist circles in early 2000s? Make no mistake they have the same blinkered cold war self-destructive views but have learnt to hide them more effectively behind the charsima of Raoul Hedebouw and the workerism of Peter Mertens, as well as their social programs which inadvertently do help the working class, yes.

The demand for an anti-capitalist party after 2008 was there, and PTB's high church met it.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #605 on: May 12, 2020, 03:06:01 AM »

Its a front for a particular brand of cultists who grand stand about their actions helping the working class but who actually have very sinister views behind them. Have they disowned Ludo Martens and his Stalinism yet? Or their brief foray into islamist circles in early 2000s? Make no mistake they have the same blinkered cold war self-destructive views but have learnt to hide them more effectively behind the charsima of Raoul Hedebouw and the workerism of Peter Martens, as well as their social programs which inadvertently do help the working class, yes.

The demand for an anti-capitalist party after 2008 was there, and PTB's high church met it.
Can you please stay a bit objective, thanks. Those are all lies. Ludo Martens is the past.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #606 on: May 12, 2020, 04:02:31 AM »

Its a front for a particular brand of cultists who grand stand about their actions helping the working class but who actually have very sinister views behind them. Have they disowned Ludo Martens and his Stalinism yet? Or their brief foray into islamist circles in early 2000s? Make no mistake they have the same blinkered cold war self-destructive views but have learnt to hide them more effectively behind the charsima of Raoul Hedebouw and the workerism of Peter Martens, as well as their social programs which inadvertently do help the working class, yes.

Can you please stay a bit objective, thanks. Those are all lies. Ludo Martens is the past.

He may be the past and never talked about anymore but the fact remains the PTB have never actively tried to have a proper debate about their past. They entirely focus on enacting Chantalle Mouffe's idea of building working class consciousness through a conveyor belt of activities outside of party politics such as the people's hospitals with the goal of achieving a dédiabolisation effect on their brand. Its the equivalent of those "voluntary border patrols" that French neo-fascists are organising in the Alps to build their image or Schild & Vrienden's "community spirit" bs activities. Its right out of the playbook of weird American religious cults.

This is why party politics and the rest of civil society mixing is not necessarily the most intelligent thing to do...but then the traditional parties are no better with their unions, mutualities and what not...Magnette litterally on the front cover of every francophone newspaper with the FGTB and Solidaris Presidents being a case in point.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #607 on: May 12, 2020, 10:32:03 AM »

He may be the past and never talked about anymore but the fact remains the PTB have never actively tried to have a proper debate about their past. They entirely focus on enacting Chantalle Mouffe's idea of building working class consciousness through a conveyor belt of activities outside of party politics such as the people's hospitals with the goal of achieving a dédiabolisation effect on their brand. Its the equivalent of those "voluntary border patrols" that French neo-fascists are organising in the Alps to build their image or Schild & Vrienden's "community spirit" bs activities. Its right out of the playbook of weird American religious cults.

This is why party politics and the rest of civil society mixing is not necessarily the most intelligent thing to do...but then the traditional parties are no better with their unions, mutualities and what not...Magnette litterally on the front cover of every francophone newspaper with the FGTB and Solidaris Presidents being a case in point.
Every party has it's dark side, and yes PTB-PVDA have a very dark side, but they seem to have moved away from it. I don't see what is wrong with people's hospitals. If anything, they have been of great help during this COVID-19 crisis, being of great help. That's far from the equivalent from fascist neo-nazi groups like S&V and in defence of N-VA and Vlaams Belang, they have nothing to do with it. It's a group of radicalized youth who think they're more important than they really are, and ashamed N-VA and even VB for a moment, until they saw on social media many people defending S&V. The cult around DVL and S&V is disgusting and neo-fascist charasteric number one.

Ludo Martens is the past, and that they don't talk about their past is good, because PVDA-PTB should be very ashamed of it. They shouldn't be proud of it. Some of it's members are still radical stalinists although that's a small minority. I've recently seen a post where someone congratulated Stalin on his victory against Nazi-Germany on 8 may, but he got criticized for it by both me & others. Stalinism is not done for me. And is as worse as fascism, period.

Personally, i wouldn't call myself a communist, or maybe i am. But i'm pragmatist, and don't believe in a revolution or in overthrowing the system but in gradual evolution and gradual transition to a better system. We don't have to abandon capitalism. We have to fight the greedy multinationals however and evolve towards a fairer and more equal society, with respect to individual rights, freedom and differences. There's something very wrong in this society, and that made me politically active. I have a lot of respect for PS and Ecolo as well, less however for the Flemish greens and s.pa whose leader i can not stand. The Greens are right now my second choice. Open VLD is my third choice. s.pa is my fourth choice, but after PVDA, i would likely vote for irrelevant parties like Pirate Party or the animal rights party or European Spring movement on European level.
Grand Wizard Lizard of the Klan
kataak
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 5.39

« Reply #608 on: May 12, 2020, 11:00:44 AM »

By the way: in Poland often political adversaries say that Tusk "fled" to Brussels with him accepting post in the EU structures. Do Belgian politicians use such narratives against Van Rompuy or Michel? How Belgian public opinion views such "promotions"?
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #609 on: May 12, 2020, 12:43:25 PM »

By the way: in Poland often political adversaries say that Tusk "fled" to Brussels with him accepting post in the EU structures. Do Belgian politicians use such narratives against Van Rompuy or Michel? How Belgian public opinion views such "promotions"?

People here treat Europe as just another part of government most of the time so its not seen as a betrayal in the slightest. It can be seen as careerist though. Van Rompuy left during a crisis (Leterme to OCDE too). Michel was labelled as a Macron puppet by the Walloon Left. But it was not seen as a betrayal of patriotic values in the slightest.

In terms of actual poll ratings it has no direct effect.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #610 on: May 12, 2020, 01:49:07 PM »

People here treat Europe as just another part of government most of the time so its not seen as a betrayal in the slightest. It can be seen as careerist though. Van Rompuy left during a crisis (Leterme to OCDE too). Michel was labelled as a Macron puppet by the Walloon Left. But it was not seen as a betrayal of patriotic values in the slightest.

In case of Kris Peeters or Annemie Turtelboom, it was the case, so i would say yes, but it's more something about individuals. Michel was however actually quite popular.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #611 on: May 13, 2020, 03:29:26 AM »

In case of Kris Peeters or Annemie Turtelboom, it was the case, so i would say yes, but it's more something about individuals. Michel was however actually quite popular.

He was popular in Flanders, yes.

It's just general anti-political sentiment that motivates cases like Peeters, Turtelboom, etc. Because we have so many political mandates in this country people like them who flop in one electoral arena are usually parachuted into another level of government. But the fact that they ended up in Europe is not the issue in itself. For example, Dominique Fourny received a lot of criticism for going from losing her mayorality in Ixelles to being 4th of the MR list at the Region, which is another classic example of falling upwards in this Kafkaesque state.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #612 on: May 13, 2020, 08:47:04 AM »

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/11/slow-streets-can-coronavirus-cure-brussels-of-addiction-driving?CMP=share_btn_tw

Speaking of local Brussels politics, the new cycle lanes are making massive waves as the entire political Right start crapping themselves at the thought of allowing cyclists to not have to share the pavement with pedestrians. Oh the horror.

I particularly like this from Francken :

Francken seized on the plans as a means to further his goal of breaking up the multilingual kingdom, tweeting that Greens and the left were “determined to give Brussels back to the people of Brussels, [which is] their right. We should let that happen with teleworking and further decentralisation. Bye bye Belgium.”

...his party's Brussels wing are literally in favour of the cycle lanes...
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #613 on: May 13, 2020, 03:47:33 PM »

One thing I don’t understand is why the German community is still part of Belgium - surely it would make much more sense for them to rejoin Germany, at this point. Or is there something I’m missing?
Astatine

Political Matrix
E: -0.72, S: -5.90

« Reply #614 on: May 13, 2020, 05:10:49 PM »

One thing I don’t understand is why the German community is still part of Belgium - surely it would make much more sense for them to rejoin Germany, at this point. Or is there something I’m missing?
I saw a poll where the majority of Germans in Belgium would prefer to remain independent/part of Wallonia or join Luxembourg in case Belgium is dissolved. Seems like there's no political majority for the idea of joining Germany.
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #615 on: May 14, 2020, 02:43:47 AM »

They would just become another Landkreis of North-Rhine-Westphalia. No fun in that when you have your own MEP and community government that can veto EU ratification campaigns all on its own (but never does obviously)
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #616 on: May 22, 2020, 09:37:12 AM »

Open VLD has a new chairman Egbert Lachaert who represents the right-wing of Open VLD. VLD will likely get a name change.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #617 on: May 22, 2020, 10:39:15 AM »

https://www.facebook.com/DHaeseJ/videos/2357345864563068 LOL

"The danger comes from the left. The commies have as many seats as Flemish liberals.... Well well well."
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #618 on: May 22, 2020, 12:46:13 PM »

Open VLD has a new chairman Egbert Lachaert who represents the right-wing of Open VLD. VLD will likely get a name change.

What do you think changes with the party's new leader? And what do you think the party's name will change to?
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #619 on: May 22, 2020, 01:30:24 PM »

What do you think changes with the party's new leader? And what do you think the party's name will change to?
Not much. But it's another sharp turn to the right. VB talked about the defeat of the left-liberal establishment. Greens might become the new liberal.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #620 on: May 22, 2020, 01:37:22 PM »

If i could RCV with Walloon parties included, it would be something like this

1. PVDA
2. PS
3. Ecolo
4. Groen
5. MR
6. cdH
7. s.pa
8. CD&V
9. Open VLD
10. VB
11. N-VA
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

« Reply #621 on: May 22, 2020, 01:46:59 PM »

Not much. But it's another sharp turn to the right. VB talked about the defeat of the left-liberal establishment. Greens might become the new liberal.

There is already talk of a left-liberal party being formed with the likes of Gatz, Somers and the other old Spirit regionalists that went to sp.a and groen. Open VLD's Brussels wing actively disobeyed its party HQ so there's that.

But given Somers did also pretty well despite backing the wrong horse I think the social liberals are not dead in the party yet. I mean without them VLD would not have Gent and Mechelen as "strongholds".
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #622 on: May 22, 2020, 06:07:20 PM »

If Open VLD goes right, that seems counterproductive as doesn't Flemish region already vote heavily right so why would it need another right wing party?  Also how come Flanders votes so heavily to right and Wallonia to left?  Any reason for that sharp divide.  Comparing to North America its almost like Flanders is akin to Alberta in Canada and Wallonia akin to Quebec while for US, Flanders would be like Wyoming and Wallonia like Vermont in terms of which way the tilt and one sided dominance.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #623 on: May 23, 2020, 03:25:36 AM »

If Open VLD goes right, that seems counterproductive as doesn't Flemish region already vote heavily right so why would it need another right wing party?  Also how come Flanders votes so heavily to right and Wallonia to left?  Any reason for that sharp divide.  Comparing to North America its almost like Flanders is akin to Alberta in Canada and Wallonia akin to Quebec while for US, Flanders would be like Wyoming and Wallonia like Vermont in terms of which way the tilt and one sided dominance.
Because Flanders is just very right-wing and has many right-wing voters, there's more to gain on the right than on the left for VLD, except for in the cities. VLD has lately become more & more a rural & suburban party (some sort of farmer's and small business owners party) than an urban party and this trend will continue, although they do have strongholds in several cities (Ghent, Mechelen, Oudenaarde). The problem is that outside those cities there are few social liberal voters left over. Social liberal parties have left in the past, and now choose between mainly between three parties federally: Open VLD, s.pa and a majority for the s.pa. There just aren't that many in our country.

I would also argue that you have two categories of right-wing voters, economically right-wing voters (mainly N-VA and Open VLD), while the other category (VB and N-VA) are socially conservative (although still relatively liberal compared to other parts of the world), and economically populist, like VB campaigns on: "First OUR people, than other people", and they draw this line to every aspect of their policy proposals, like social security for other people, yes certainly, but first for us. Many people are also one-issue voters, like immigration for example, and people tend to be right-wing on that. Someone can be left-wing but not believe in mass immigration and vote for VB because they want to stop mass immigration. I think that's the case for many people. Flanders really isn't that economically right-wing or homophobic, we vote for right-wing parties for other reasons. It doesn't help either that the left, aside of us, doesn't have strong recognizable persons / figures in politics, and are nitpicking on almost every little thing. They're perceived as elitist (but VLD and CD&V are that as well). N-VA still profits from still being an "outsider", sometimes being VB lite, and saying stupid things that will encourage people who are on the brink of jumping ships to stay with N-VA.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #624 on: May 23, 2020, 03:34:26 AM »
« Edited: May 23, 2020, 03:38:37 AM by Laki »

New polling. No "corona boost" for centrist parties, extremes keep gaining.

CD&V -3.5
Groen +1
N-VA -4.5
Open VLD -1.5
PVDA +2.9
s.pa +0.6
VB +6

PVDA goes from 4 seats to 9 seats virtually in Flanders, which is a result i would immediately sign for.

The marxist Peter Mertens is also in the 5 most popular politicians of Flanders, which is a first i think for Flanders.

Most people DISAPPROVE the handling of COVID-19 of the government. 76% say they would support a corona tax for the super rich (you say Flanders is right-wing, well here's your counterargument).

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 47  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies