1968: Humphrey v. Wallace (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:24:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs?
  Past Election What-ifs (US) (Moderator: Dereich)
  1968: Humphrey v. Wallace (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who would you vote for?
Hubert Humphrey (D)

George Wallace (R)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 34

Author Topic: 1968: Humphrey v. Wallace  (Read 3573 times)
Snefix
Rookie

« on: August 11, 2005, 10:07:57 PM »

After crunching this scenario multiple times in President Elect, I have come to the conclusion that Wallace wins it in an electorally close, but popularly decent sized margin of victory.  Even when Humphrey won, Wallace still typically ended up with 51%.  I'd say this makes a fair degree of sense, since Wallace's anti-hippie, law-and-order platform was fairly compatable with Nixon's Republican platform.

Let's call it...

Wallace(R): 281, 53%
Humphrey(D): 257, 47%

Snefix
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2005, 11:42:06 PM »

They would if he was a Republican in 1968 and there was no Nixon around. :-)
Snefix
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2005, 05:01:37 PM »

Stacy Keibler, a lady from WWE.

Anyhow, by 1968 Wallace had greatly removed himself from his former segregationist stances and you can be certain that he wouldn't be using that as the basis of a national candidacy.  If the world was turned upside down and he was the Republican ticket, he would have access to a boatload of support that he didn't have access to previously.  And he was pretty darn popular in states outside of the south as well.  He won the Michigan Democratic Primary in 1972 which helped lead to the current caucus system they have today.

You cobble together a law and order platform of Nixon's with a pro-state's rights position, be anti-hippie, downplay segregation, and up play 'peace with honor', give it a nice Republican label.. bada bing bada boom, you have yourself an electoral winning coalition.  And there's no doubt in my mind, and anyone that has studied history and doesn't swallow the Democrat re-written history,  that Wallace couldn't do all of the above.

I would suggest you check out the following maps as well.  Just for a little information:
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/wallace/maps/map_1972.html
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/wallace/maps/map_1968.html
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/wallace/maps/map_1964.html

And if you've got a problem with the results the program spits out, take it up with the guy that wrote the code for President Elect.
Snefix
Rookie

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2005, 01:59:06 AM »

Wallace was already a viable candidate.  He postings in 64, 68, and 72 show he could piece together a national campaign.  The nomination of one of the two big parties gives him the credibility necessary to win and also enhances his viablity at the same time.
Snefix
Rookie

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2005, 04:01:25 PM »

I've been having it be any schmoe from California for the scenario computational purposes.  I think Gen. LeMay was from there, who was his running mate in 1968.  I don't see any particular reason why he couldn't use him.  Although I suppose you could pick anyone from the Byrd clan (there have been several, in the VA and WV region).  Perhaps Strom Thurmond.

I personally would've recommended Nelson Rockefeller for his VP in such a scenario, to attempt to soothe the concerns of the northeast establishment Republicans.  He probably would've accepted. Or Governor Romney might not be bad either, I think he would've taken the VP nomination if we're assuming he still made his "brainwashed" comment and was thus politically dead.
Snefix
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2005, 05:02:30 PM »

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies