2016 Presidential election voter turnout report
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:58:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  2016 Presidential election voter turnout report
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: 2016 Presidential election voter turnout report  (Read 28636 times)
HarrisonL

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2018, 10:26:12 PM »

And Minnesota always has good turnout.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2018, 09:23:57 PM »

I guess the voter turnout among the 18-29 voting group age should reach at least between 55 % and 60 % in 2020 since all millenials will be eligible to vote, the same for the first post-millenials (Generation Z) born before the end of 2002.

Not really. I think you are grouping together voters that shouldn't be grouped together. The Millennials who will have higher turnout will be the older ones, who will fill most/all of the 30-39 age block. Those are the higher turnout ones. The younger ones will have lower turnout.

Also some non-Millennials will be in 18-29 group, and their turnout will likely be as bad as it has been historically. The 18-29 year olds should have turnout similar to past elections, although I suppose it could go higher if the election has really high turnout and maybe some 2008-like feel to it. But it's not going to go to 60% due to Millennials. The higher turnout due to aging will represent itself as it always does - with older people.

TL;DR nothing is going to change with 18-29 year olds, at least not in any way that hasn't affected past people who were 18-29 years old at some point.
SingingAnalyst
mathstatman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2018, 12:38:41 PM »

I guess the voter turnout among the 18-29 voting group age should reach at least between 55 % and 60 % in 2020 since all millenials will be eligible to vote, the same for the first post-millenials (Generation Z) born before the end of 2002.

Not really. I think you are grouping together voters that shouldn't be grouped together. The Millennials who will have higher turnout will be the older ones, who will fill most/all of the 30-39 age block. Those are the higher turnout ones. The younger ones will have lower turnout.

Also some non-Millennials will be in 18-29 group, and their turnout will likely be as bad as it has been historically. The 18-29 year olds should have turnout similar to past elections, although I suppose it could go higher if the election has really high turnout and maybe some 2008-like feel to it. But it's not going to go to 60% due to Millennials. The higher turnout due to aging will represent itself as it always does - with older people.

TL;DR nothing is going to change with 18-29 year olds, at least not in any way that hasn't affected past people who were 18-29 years old at some point.
I think 2020 will have a 2008-like feel.

Every generation is different, and is shaped by widely differing events. Reported turnout among 18-20 year olds dropped 10.3% from 1972 to 1976, even though overall reported turnout dropped only 3.8%: the Vietnam War and draft were no longer an issue.

My generation (early Gen-X) grew up in the cynical, politically apathetic 1970s. In addition to being the first generation in 30 years not to start out as liberals, we were also relatively politically apathetic. Tell most 21-year-olds in 1987 that political involvement was both personally satisfying and a way to a better future, and they probably would have laughed.

Today's Millennials and Gen-Z are different. They know much more than we did about how broken politics is, and they honestly believe (correctly, I think) they can make a difference. I think today's Americans younger than 30 will be much more involved in the process than we were in the late 1980s, and it will show.
VeniceItaly
Rookie
United States

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2019, 05:35:13 PM »

2016 was really bad/good turnout year depending on what state you were in. No in betweens. Hot take/Bold prediction but I think the 2020 presidential election should have a turnout in the low to mid 60% range 
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2019, 09:54:57 PM »

test
annecortez
Rookie
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2020, 10:50:06 PM »

We should really elect the right president!
8digitalpower
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2020, 05:20:46 AM »

Some things of my own want to tell you

1. California's ranking improved, but remains on the lower end due to its non-competitive status and somewhat less favorable voting laws. CA should be poised to rise even further in the ranks as by 2017-2018, automatic voter registration (AVR) and same-day voter registration (SDR) will be available.

Further,California is shifting to a Colorado-like voting system, where all registered voters will receive ballots in the mail. A pilot program involving limited number of counties (such as Orange) will go live in 2018, and by 2020 most counties will have shifted. Voters will still be able to vote in-person in "vote centers" anywhere in their county.

2. Texas actually slid down a rank this year compared to 2012, despite increases in Efforts in the legislature to remove straight ticket voting option will almost surely produce longer lines in 2018 and 2020, given the long ballots TX is prone to.
allenwfm9000
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2021, 03:28:14 PM »

Minnesota ain’t turning out as well then!
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies