SB 2017-063: Amending the Federal Electoral Act Act (Failed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:24:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SB 2017-063: Amending the Federal Electoral Act Act (Failed)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: SB 2017-063: Amending the Federal Electoral Act Act (Failed)  (Read 1061 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2017, 12:00:12 AM »

I'd really rather we didn't throw four months' work on the Voting Rights Amendment out the window. That resolution, as passed by the House, provides the necessary constitutional support for regional residency requirements.

Beyond that, I must agree with Siren that separating regional citizenship from federal citizenship is a bad idea, and creates a number of practical and ethical problems (most obviously, that some individuals would be obligated to pay federal taxes and follow federal laws without being able to vote for president and Congress). I would much prefer that we continue to abide by the precedent established by the 14th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution; namely, that citizenship (and the rights associated therewith) is a matter of federal policy.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2017, 12:12:42 PM »

Okay, so the constitutional amendment part is not necessary. Question now is about separating regional citizenship (which is not a point I feel strongly about).
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2017, 01:25:43 PM »

I find the thoughts Siren raised interesting, and worthy of mulling over the merits and mechanics of this matter.

Would you like to rebut the arguments made by Siren and Truman here? As Truman pointed out to me the Constitutional Amendment part isn't needed at this point. I could amend the bill to revert it to its previous state, but if we don't know that we actually want to proceed with the bill itself then there is little point in doing so.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2017, 06:24:09 PM »

This one sort of sputtered out and the Senator who proposed it is no longer in the Senate. Senators have 72 hours to assume sponsorship if anyone wants to, but otherwise this will drop off of the Senate floor.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2017, 09:21:14 PM »

This bill is removed from the floor, lacking a sponsor.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies