To my fellow Democrats/liberals: Stop saying Republican voters are stupid.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:51:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  To my fellow Democrats/liberals: Stop saying Republican voters are stupid.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: To my fellow Democrats/liberals: Stop saying Republican voters are stupid.  (Read 8548 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: March 10, 2017, 03:11:17 PM »

Typical Democrat tactic, pathetically attempting to paint the Republican Party and Trump supporters with the same brush as a few kooks.

May I remind you that 99.99% of the people who voted for Trump are everyday Americans, honest, hard working, tax paying people, who want jobs, and are sick of the establishment calling the shots.

It is not 99.99% when 40% of republicans believe Obama is a Muslim, when the number of hate groups tripled under Obama, an the new republican president ran on building a wall across the Mexican border, banning Muslims, and is openly beloved by skinheads then it is not a small fringe

Your assertion that the kooks referred to in the article you quoted and your inference that this somehow represents Republicans and Trump supporters, and your statement this article proves that Trump voters are stupid and deplorable is utter nonsense.

Trump received almost 63,000,000 votes, the vast, vast majority of which come from honest, hard working, tax paying Americans.

A miniscule number of these votes came from kooks.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #76 on: March 10, 2017, 03:20:59 PM »

Too late.

The Democrats are so incompetent, morally bankrupt, and lacking of vision that we are becoming a one-party state ruled by the Republicans as the Democrats keep losing record numbers of seats.

wanna bet that "trend" will be kind of...eh.... stopped 2018, outside of the senate?

I hope.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #77 on: March 10, 2017, 03:24:15 PM »

I've never met an intelligent racist.

there are MAAAAAAAAAAANY.....they are just normally not very decent persons.

Indeed, there are some very intelligent and well-spoken people who are virulently racist. Conflating intelligence with holding decent political opinions is a terrible trend that promotes misunderstanding of politics and ideology.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2017, 03:32:28 PM »

elcorazon

« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2017, 03:47:13 PM »

there are lots of them. Frankly, we are all racists, it's mostly about degree.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2017, 03:47:55 PM »

You don't hang out with suburban upper-middle class white Democrats?
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2017, 03:53:17 PM »

It's certainly true that Democrats come across as condescending and holier-than-thou to a lot of people, and should find a way to push back against this perception. That's not to say that Republicans don't have contempt for Democratic voters, though.

This.

The urban voters are condescending towards rural voters AND the rural voters are condescending towards urban voters.

The urban-rural divide is a two edged sword.

You can accept that the Democrats are not the most sympathetic towards rural WWC voters while also realizing that the rural WWC voters have not been the shining beacon of tolerance towards urban voters who are just trying to make a living.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2017, 04:01:05 PM »

Too late.

The Democrats are so incompetent, morally bankrupt, and lacking of vision that we are becoming a one-party state ruled by the Republicans as the Democrats keep losing record numbers of seats.

wanna bet that "trend" will be kind of...eh.... stopped 2018, outside of the senate?

I hope so as well, but I fear the pendulum has swung so far its stuck in the wall, and won't be moving until the whole building collapses. (I.e. I expect lots of blatant and effective GOP voter suppression, met by tepid whining from the Democrats.)
elcorazon

« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2017, 04:35:47 PM »

Too late.

I hope so as well, but I fear the pendulum has swung so far its stuck in the wall, and won't be moving until the whole building collapses. (I.e. I expect lots of blatant and effective GOP voter suppression, met by tepid whining from the Democrats.)
this is my fear.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2017, 04:38:25 PM »

the pendulum swinging against the wall and getting stuck is as inevitable as demopgrahic democratic domination determination. Tongue

the US isn't eastern europe, voters change stuff.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #85 on: March 10, 2017, 04:47:59 PM »

538 did an exhaustive study that showed that voter suppression ID laws really didnt do as much damage as previously thought.

yes, less than thought...is still way too much.

since the GOP caucus is fractured and freedom caucusers are usually in the most partisan districts, the difference between 40 seats and 20 seats would be everything sometimes.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #86 on: March 10, 2017, 05:25:16 PM »

Too late.

538 did an exhaustive study that showed that voter suppression ID laws really didnt do as much damage as previously thought. It all comes down to enthusiasm and the Dems have none
Have or had? Cause it seems like their is a lot of liberal enthusiasm against Trump
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #87 on: March 10, 2017, 06:09:12 PM »

Too late.

538 did an exhaustive study that showed that voter suppression ID laws really didnt do as much damage as previously thought. It all comes down to enthusiasm and the Dems have none
Have or had? Cause it seems like their is a lot of liberal enthusiasm against Trump

Against Trump and against the Dem establishment

The liberal/progressive left hated Clinton just as much as they hated Trump
I know that but I was confused by the statement. Are you saying because of Perez that the dems will make no gains in the midterms because of some third party protest? Cause if not I don't see how you can say dems don't have momentum?
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2017, 06:31:27 PM »

Your assertion that the kooks referred to in the article you quoted and your inference that this somehow represents Republicans and Trump supporters, and your statement this article proves that Trump voters are stupid and deplorable is utter nonsense.

Trump received almost 63,000,000 votes, the vast, vast majority of which come from honest, hard working, tax paying Americans.

A miniscule number of these votes came from kooks.

This is all just fluff as it seems to imply that the 66 million who voted for Clinton are not honest, hard working, tax paying Americans. Republicans seem to think that they are the authority on who qualifies as honest, hard working, tax paying Americans and the rest of us have to follow their guidelines to see if we qualify.

Republicans do this with patriotism also. Only they and they alone can decide who's patriotic and surely no leftist, komucha drinking, big city, computer graphics designer just cant be patriotic. Only small town dairy farmers or steel workers, etc...

Your words, not mine.
longtimelurker

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 2.43

« Reply #89 on: March 10, 2017, 07:00:36 PM »
« Edited: March 10, 2017, 07:03:01 PM by longtimelurker »

Why do people call Trump supporters stupid and deplorable?  Because they are.  http://www.rawstory.com/2017/03/trump-supporters-call-for-liberal-genocide-and-deportation-of-jews-at-arizona-rally/

Typical Democrat tactic, pathetically attempting to paint the Republican Party and Trump supporters with the same brush as a few kooks.

May I remind you that 99.99% of the people who voted for Trump are everyday Americans, honest, hard working, tax paying people, who want jobs, and are sick of the establishment calling the shots.

One of the reactions I expected.  Instead of first condemning the racism in their own party (note that was an event at which a GOP congressman spoke), they blame the Democrats for pointing it out.  

The Democrats purged the racist segregationists from the party years ago.  Bill Clinton had his "Sister Souljah" moment when he condemned the racists within the African American community.  Who have the Republicans purged?  Environmentalists, apparently.

Yes, it may cost the Democrats some votes when pointing out the "The Emperor's Clothes" are a White Sheet and a hood.  That's a metaphor, BTW.  But as that famous conservative Barry Goldwater said, "I'd rather be right than President."  I expect the Republicans to go on being in power for a while.  And I expect the Democrats to be more right than wrong for the same duration.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #90 on: March 10, 2017, 08:18:37 PM »

Too late.

I know that but I was confused by the statement. Are you saying because of Perez that the dems will make no gains in the midterms because of some third party protest? Cause if not I don't see how you can say dems don't have momentum?

The Dems are banking on Trump being so bad that it will drive turnout so they're yet again running with nothing but empty platitudes/rhetoric with candidates who will most likely be stiffs straight out of DNC central casting. The Dems need a progressive "Contract with America," nobody even knows what the Dems are for or what their policy proposals are. If running on Trump=bad man didn't work in 2016, it wont work in 2018
Dude it's two months in contract with America happen like the month before the midterm shouldn't we wait until the summer of 2018 until we start saying "the dems have no strategy"?
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #91 on: March 10, 2017, 09:20:48 PM »

Too late.

Some, maybe. Not all of us, by any means. Many of us saw Trump for the dangerous, power-hungry madman and reprehensible incompetent he is.

Clinton was and is an establishment technocrat with a left lean on some issues, much like Obama. That made her problematic, but infinitely preferable to a egotistical man-baby in love with fraud, flattery and himself.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #92 on: March 11, 2017, 01:16:24 PM »

Fairly common:

A conservative in downstate Illinois who rallies against Chicago
A conservative in upstate New York who hates NYC
A conservative in eastern Washington who wishes Seattle wasn't in the same state as him.

Bojack Horseman
Wolverine22
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #93 on: March 11, 2017, 09:50:47 PM »

You don't hang out with suburban upper-middle class white Democrats?

The one uncle I have who thinks our country would be a nirvana if-and I quote- "we started with 100,000 of those baboons at the bottom of the ocean." He's an enthusiastic Trump supporter and sharer of "Obongo is an ape" memes on Facebook.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #94 on: March 11, 2017, 10:17:29 PM »

I will say this, though: Democrats are right that voters in red states are usually much more stupid than voters in blue states. A state like Vermont would never elect Phil Scott to the Senate, whereas people in North Dakota, West Virginia, etc. vote based on personality and not on issues. It's the reason why there are so many Democrats from red states in the Senate and basically no Republicans from blue states.

Well there was Scott Brown. But he was kind of a fluke.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #95 on: March 11, 2017, 10:21:24 PM »

I will say this, though: Democrats are right that voters in red states are usually much more stupid than voters in blue states. A state like Vermont would never elect Phil Scott to the Senate, whereas people in North Dakota, West Virginia, etc. vote based on personality and not on issues. It's the reason why there are so many Democrats from red states in the Senate and basically no Republicans from blue states.
Nah, they're just not as angry.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #96 on: March 11, 2017, 10:22:34 PM »

Too late.

The Dems are banking on Trump being so bad that it will drive turnout so they're yet again running with nothing but empty platitudes/rhetoric with candidates who will most likely be stiffs straight out of DNC central casting. The Dems need a progressive "Contract with America," nobody even knows what the Dems are for or what their policy proposals are. If running on Trump=bad man didn't work in 2016, it wont work in 2018

This is actually what I have been saying for a while now. It's pretty clear that going hard anti-Trump isn't the surefire winner that Dems thought it would be before the election. A stronger message would require reflecting on the flaws that drove historically Democratic voters in the Midwest to vote Republican and addressing them. That's a tough step to take, though.
Hindsight was 2020
Hindsight is 2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #97 on: March 11, 2017, 11:49:20 PM »

Too late.

This is actually what I have been saying for a while now. It's pretty clear that going hard anti-Trump isn't the surefire winner that Dems thought it would be before the election. A stronger message would require reflecting on the flaws that drove historically Democratic voters in the Midwest to vote Republican and addressing them. That's a tough step to take, though.

The Dems blew it with Hillary and they seem to be doubling down on their failed strategy. I don't know if Bernie would of won but at the very least, Bernie would of redefined what it meant to be a Democrat in the way William Jennings Bryan and Al Smith had to lose in order to build up the proper coalition that FDR would claim as his own. Trump may lose in 2020 but for now he's solidified the Republicans as the party of the working class.

My prediction is the Dems will unperformed in 2018 and that's when the Bernie wing will really start pushing out the stiffs at the DNC. This "ideas" or "listening"' tour the Dems are going on now to try to give us the impression that their unified is all a farce since the DNC rejected every Bernie recommended platform plank when they voted to elect that stiff Perez for chairman. People just arent falling for it anymore.
Again it's two months in people. "Contract with America" didn't happen until a month before the midterm so can we wait until next year before we say "dems have no strategy/relying on just anti-Trump"?! Seriously what are the dems suppose to shot out "single payer" right now when it will be forgotten by 2018 or wait until around the summer of 2018 when either Trumpcare died in congress or passed by is unpopular?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2017, 12:34:14 AM »

Most of the comments here seep to be either "but they are stupid!" or "both sides do it!". This is what's wrong with the modern left.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2017, 08:43:05 AM »

Most of the comments here seep to be either "but they are stupid!" or "both sides do it!". This is what's wrong with the modern left.

I refuse to say "but they are stupid!", but - "both sides do it!"))))
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies