TX: Democrat Chris Bell announces run for governor
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:20:36 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  TX: Democrat Chris Bell announces run for governor
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: TX: Democrat Chris Bell announces run for governor  (Read 2547 times)
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 28, 2005, 12:49:45 PM »

With candidates like Chris Bell and Felix Alvarado, the Democrats will sure get far in the governor's race.

[/sarcasm]

Democrats are hoping that John Sharp will get into the race, but it appears like his political committee is donating money to Carole Keeton Strayhorn (not surprising).

In short, barring some surprise announcement, this looks like a two-person Republican primary battle for governor.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/3286291

Democrat Chris Bell announces bid for governor

Associated Press

AUSTIN — Former one-term Democratic Congressman Chris Bell announced his bid for Texas governor today in an e-mail to supporters.

Bell, a Houston lawyer, was elected to the U.S. House in 2002. He lost his seat to Democrat Al Green after his district was redrawn.

Bell is best known for accusing House Majority Leader Tom DeLay of ethical violations. DeLay, a Republican, was instrumental in the GOP-led Texas congressional redistricting effort that resulted in Bell's defeat.

Although DeLay was admonished by the House, Bell also was criticized for exaggerating misconduct allegations against the GOP leader.

Bell has been exploring a campaign for governor for months but has struggled so far to gain firm footing as a candidate who could win not only the Democratic nomination, but also win the Governor's Mansion in a state dominated by Republicans. The GOP has held every statewide office since the 1998 elections.

Bell reported raising about $153,000 in campaign contributions during the first six months of the year. Maverick independent candidate Kinky Friedman, a musician and author, raised $300,000 in the same period.

And Bell is well behind the millions raised by the top Republicans in the 2006 primary, Gov. Rick Perry and Comptroller Carole Keeton Strayhorn.

Democrats also are waiting to see if former state comptroller John Sharp will run for governor. Sharp lost races for lieutenant governor in 1998 and 2002. The political committee for Ryan & Company, an accounting firm where Sharp is a principal, gave $200,000 to Strayhorn's campaign.

Felix Alvarado, a middle school assistant principal from Fort Worth who ran for Congress in 2002 and 2004, has also said he'll run for governor as a Democrat.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 01:28:36 PM »
« Edited: July 28, 2005, 01:30:38 PM by Senator A.J.* King IV »

This 'Texas Democratic Party' is getting too much press for not being one of the major parties.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 04:19:39 PM »

This 'Texas Democratic Party' is getting too much press for not being one of the major parties.

In certain parts of Texas, the Texas Libertarian Party is more of a major party (runs more candidates, gets more votes) than the Texas Democrats.

Should tell you something about the state of the party.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 04:36:11 PM »

Kinky for Governer!
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2005, 11:38:05 AM »

He'd have my vote.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2005, 11:42:09 AM »

What a bunch of worthless right-wing propaganda. How the hell is it possible to exaggerate the scandals involving DeLay? He's involved in so many of them. Change your avatar already, Sam Spade. You are no Democrat.
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2005, 11:47:15 AM »

What's that have to do with the topic?

Saying Bell has "no chance" gives him more credit than he deserves... he is unworthy of attention.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2005, 11:49:04 AM »

What a bunch of worthless right-wing propaganda. How the hell is it possible to exaggerate the scandals involving DeLay? He's involved in so many of them. Change your avatar already, Sam Spade. You are no Democrat.

"I have worked with Democrats, I know Democrats, Democrats are friends of mine. Senator Spade, you are no Democrat."
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2005, 11:51:51 AM »

"I have worked with Democrats, I know Democrats, Democrats are friends of mine. Senator Spade, you are no Democrat."
He's not a Democrat nor a Republican. He's a Spade.

I believe in calling a spade a spade.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2005, 12:00:47 PM »

The Chronicle print version is headlined:

Ex-congressmn to run for governor

And begins:

"Chris Bell, the former one-term congressman best known for filing an ethics complaint ..."
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2005, 01:57:23 PM »

Uh, what does this have to do with the topic, fern?  I just posted the announcement article from the Houston Chronicle which was copied from the Associated Press.  I didn't know the Associated Press was right-wing propaganda.

My minor commentary above is quite accurate, but has nothing to do with Tom DeLay. 

It has to do with the fact that Chris Bell is a laughable candidate.

Reasons:  Historically, he is a white candidate who appeals to the already Democrat latte liberal classes in Houston, Dallas and Austin and has had zero ability to gain votes among the black and Hispanic communities, either when he ran for mayor in 2001 or when his district got gerrymandered against him in 2004.  I should know about 2001, I voted for him then.  He also has zero appeal in the suburbs of Texas or in the rural areas.  With that combination, he'll be lucky to reach 40% against any candidate in Texas and with Kinky Friedman in the race, the number could go much lower.

Compare this to the successful outreach of my former Congressman, Gene Green, a white man who won a race in a 65% Hispanic district and who has not been seriously challenged since.

Fern, honestly your blind hatred gets the best of you sometimes.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2005, 02:03:15 PM »

I didn't know the Associated Press was right-wing propaganda.

IIRC Bandit thinks it is. Make of that what you will...

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Even more than Kinky Smiley

Sounds exactly what the Texas Democrats need Wink

Sounds exactly what the Texas Democrats need Wink

Smiley

I like Green

Sometimes?
semissou
Rookie

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2005, 02:50:41 PM »

Based on what I read kinky would make a better governor than bell Smiley

He's...sentient.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2005, 04:09:47 PM »

Uh, what does this have to do with the topic, fern?  I just posted the announcement article from the Houston Chronicle which was copied from the Associated Press.  I didn't know the Associated Press was right-wing propaganda.

My minor commentary above is quite accurate, but has nothing to do with Tom DeLay. 

It has to do with the fact that Chris Bell is a laughable candidate.

Reasons:  Historically, he is a white candidate who appeals to the already Democrat latte liberal classes in Houston, Dallas and Austin and has had zero ability to gain votes among the black and Hispanic communities, either when he ran for mayor in 2001 or when his district got gerrymandered against him in 2004.  I should know about 2001, I voted for him then.  He also has zero appeal in the suburbs of Texas or in the rural areas.  With that combination, he'll be lucky to reach 40% against any candidate in Texas and with Kinky Friedman in the race, the number could go much lower.

Compare this to the successful outreach of my former Congressman, Gene Green, a white man who won a race in a 65% Hispanic district and who has not been seriously challenged since.

Fern, honestly your blind hatred gets the best of you sometimes.

My blind hatred? No, it's my willingness to criticize the worst adminstration ever. You are no Democrat. Change your avatar.
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2005, 11:01:34 AM »

My blind hatred? No, it's my willingness to criticize the worst adminstration ever. You are no Democrat. Change your avatar.

You are the best recruiting tool we Republicans have on this forum.

Sir, I salute you!
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2005, 11:07:51 AM »

Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2005, 04:19:39 PM »

In the local news broadcasts (Brazos County), and even the "metropolitan" Waco-Killeen area, Chris Bell is nowhere stated as a candidate for governor. It's entirely a Strayhorn/Perry contest.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies