3 questions on public transportation?

(1/3) > >>

WalterMitty:
1. how good is the public transportation system in your area?
2.  which american city has the best system?
3.  which american city has the worst system?

Nation:
In DC, the public transportation system needs a lot of work.

IMO, the best transit system is either found on the Boston subway system, or Atlanta's MARTA system. Both seem incredibly reliable, and I had smooth trips every time I've been down and up there.

The worst? Easily Washington, DC and the Metro. They jacked up the rates higher than Mt. Everest, and they STILL won't be able to fix half the damn problems that plague that thing.

The bus system is a little better than Metro, though.

MODU:

1. how good is the public transportation system in your area? - DC's system isn't too bad, though I rarely use it (unless you consider the HOV lanes as a part of that system).  The metro is clean and easy to use, though you have to get those little paper fare cards before riding.  I've never used the bus system out here, but there are many that I work with that do.  Other than accidents and weather related delays, it's usually on time.  Come the end of this year, when I move further South, I'll be using the VRE (Virginia Railway Express).  For a private operation it runs quite well.  It will be my form of transportation when I commute to work.

2.  which american city has the best system? - My extended experience is limited to DC and NY.  Between the two, DC is better. (see above)

3.  which american city has the worst system?  In my experience, NY is worse than DC.  The Long Island rail road is probably the best part of their system, since it operates on a fairly reliable schedule (though some trains have way too many stops on the line).  The subway is old, dirty, and dark in many stations.  While that has some historic appeal, I really wish they would clean it up and brighten the place.  Personally, I don't like seeing the I-beams that hold up the ceiling above my head.  hahaha . . . the bus system is alright as well, but there are too few buses on some of the routes, making you wait over 45 minutes between pick-ups.

minionofmidas:
1. how good is the public transportation system in your area?
Very good. Not perfect - a far cry from that - but very good. User no.s have been rising for 15 years now. Quite varied, with buses, trams, subways, overground "subways" and local trains all tied into the same system. Although outside the city proper, the pricing system is weirdly complicated.
2.  which american city has the best system?
No idea.
3.  which american city has the worst system?
No idea.

Dave from Michigan:
1 What public transportation system (there really isn't one here)

2 I don't know I don't really leave Michigan that much

3 Detroit

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page