Iowa is Rubio Country
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:35:15 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Iowa is Rubio Country
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 62
Author Topic: Iowa is Rubio Country  (Read 204712 times)
UWS
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1300 on: March 07, 2019, 10:40:49 PM »

Just wondering when will the coverage of the 2022 midterms start .

Lol you have hyped me up too

Either this weekend or early next week. I'm a little busy with university work.
BigVic
Australia

« Reply #1301 on: March 08, 2019, 07:55:09 AM »

Very detailed bit by bit. An incredible TL. Will you have an epilogue at the end of the Rubio Administration
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1302 on: March 08, 2019, 07:58:26 AM »
« Edited: March 15, 2019, 04:57:19 PM by UWS »

AC 360 SPECIAL EDITION
“The Midterm Countdown“
9 PM HOUR

Anderson Cooper, Host "AC 360"

We welcome back our Viewers from the US & around the world for the 2nd Hour of our Anderson Cooper 360 Special Edition "The MidTerm Countdown", I am Anderson Cooper.
During this Hour we will take a closer look at some of the hotly contested Governor Races around the Country. Still accompanying me is Jake Tapper, Host of "CNN's State of the Union". Over to you Jake!

Jake Tapper, Host CNN "State of the Union"

Thank You Anderson! Some of these Races are indeed very crucial as we look forward to the Presidential Race in two years. But before we sweep around the Country and connect to our Reporters covering these closely contested Governor Races I want to bring back our Political Director David Chalian who will update CNN's Governor Battleground Map one Final Time. David, take it away!

CNN GOVERNOR BATTLEGROUND MAP (November 2022)

SOLID REPUBLICAN (12 Seats)
LEAN REPUBLICAN (6 Seats)
TOSS UP (7 Seats)
LEAN DEMOCRAT (4 Seats)
SOLID DEMOCRAT (7 Seats)

David Chalian, CNN Political Director

Thanks Jake. We shifted a whole bunch of Races in Governor Map. That being said the big ones like Ohio, Pennsylvania, Michigan and Minnsota in the Midwest/Rustbelt as well as Colorado & New Mexico in the West stayed all in the Toss Up Category and are in fact "TOO CLOSE TO CALL". Let's look at a Summary first and then I'll dig deeper into some of these Races. Some of them got impacted by the Senate Race in that State.

Shifted from TOSS UP to LEAN REPUBLICAN

Iowa
Arizona

Shifted from LEAN REPUBLICAN to TOSS UP

Georgia

Shifted from TOSS UP to LEAN DEMOCRAT

Maine
Connecticut
Nevada

Shifted from LEAN DEMOCRAT to SOLID DEMOCRAT

Maryland
Massachusetts

We shifted Arizona because of Late Polling & other metrics like "Ballots" already returned, etc. The same Polls that have Senator McSally opening up a lead have the Republican Nominee for Governor Lea Márquez Peterson ahead by 7 Percentage over former AZ Attorney General Grant Woods. Republicans are also very happy with their GOTV Operation. Arizona is definitly a bright spot for Republicans in the west.

In Iowa the local Governor Race between Lt. Governor Kim Reynolds and Businessman Fred Hubbell is being heavily impacted by the Senate Race. A new Des Moines Register/Iowa Poll showing Reynolds opening up a bigger lead riding presumably on the coattails of State Senator Pat Grassley's apparent strong showing in the Senate Race. Reynolds should be considered the slight Favourite to win this Race at this Point.

In Georgia the reason we shifted the Race to Toss Up is because we don't know if Governor Brian Kemp who is running against former Congressman John Barrow will clear the 50% Rule that's required by Georgia Law. The latest Numbers suggest he might not. This Race also got impacted by State Senator Stacey Abrams strong showing in Metro Atlanta & the Suburbs particuarly from African Americans which could bring Barrow's Numbers up and Kemp's down.

The 3 Races we shifted from Toss Up to Lean Democrat (Maine, Connecticut and Nevada) are clearly impacted by the National Political Environment. The weakest region for Republicans in the Country is the northeast. The latest Polling is also suggesting that Governor Janet Mills (Maine) has opened up a more solid lead as well as Congressman Jim Himes who is running for Governor in Connecticut.

In Nevada there are two reasons we shifted this Race. Former Nevada Secretary of State Ross Miller is a much stronger Candidate compared to Steve Sisolak in 2018. Also, Governor Laxalt rode on the National Political Environment being a Republican MidTerm. The other reason are the EV Totals. Democrats have managed to rebuilt their "Clark County Firewall". Rougly 70% of the Vote will come from that County on Tuesday. Democrats also have a 36,000 EV lead Statewide.

In Maryland & Massachusetts barring a Major surprise Rep. John Sarbanes and Massachusetts Attorney General Maura Healey will be elected Governor therefore these two Races move to Solid Democrat Takeover.

Although Minnesota & Michigan are staying as Toss Ups Republicans are very much at risk losing them because of the underwater approval ratings of Governors Johnson & Schuette.

One bright spot in the west for Republicans is New Mexico where Governor John Sanchez is still very much alive despite the National Environment and that's because Democrats didn't get their preferred Candidate Michelle Lujan-Grisham who took a pass on the Race. Should Democrats lose that Race it could be classified as lost Opportunity.

I expect the big battle will be in Pennsylvania & Ohio. The Party that wins both Races will have some bragging rights. The expectation though is that this will be a split Decision. Back to you Jake!

Thanks David! We'll take another short break! When we come back we will go to our Reporters in Pennsylvania, Michigan, Minnesota and Colorado. Stay with us!

CNN COMMERCIAL BREAK

And we're back from our Commercial. Let's go straight to our CNN Reporter Sara Snider who is in King of Prussia which is in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania covering the hotly contested Governor Race there. Sara, take it from here!

PENNSYLVANIA GOVERNOR RACE

CNN Correspondent Sara Snider reporting from King of Prussia, Pennsylvania

Good Evening from King of Prussia, Pennsylvania. I'm in Montgomery County. Generally speaking close Elections in the Keystone State are increasingly decided in the four suburban Counties around Philadelphia. That's Bucks, Chester, Delaware and Montgomery Counties. President Rubio crushed Bernie Sanders in those during the 2020 Presidential Race. Pennsylvania also put President Rubio over the 270 Electoral Vote hurdle in 2020. These four Counties though have become more Democratic over the past two decades much like Northern Virginia for example. This Race between Rep. Conor Lamb, the Democrat and former Rep. Charlie Dent, the Republican has been very tight during the General Election Campaign once both Candidates cleared the Primaries. Democrats hoping that their Nominee can ride the coattails of popular Governor Tom Wolf who is all but certain to win the Senate Race to put them over the Finish Line while Republicans are hoping that Mr. Dent can siphon enough (Democratic) Voters away here in those suburban Counties to put them over the Line. The late Polls have this Race very much a statistical DEAD HEAT ranging from 2-Point lead for Mr. Lamb to a 1-Point lead for Mr. Dent so it's still very much "All To Play For" here. Unlike in Nevada, Colorado or Ohio Pennsylvania doesn't have Early Voting and Republicans telling me that this will play to their Advantage. Democrats on the other hand banking on the huge Voter Registration they have. About 2.2 Million more Democrats live in the State. We'll see who is right come Tuesday? Back to you in the Studio.

Thank You Sara! From Pennsylvania we go to Warren, Michigan where our CNN Reporter Jessica Schneider is standing by to give us an update of the hotly contested Governor Race there. Jessica, it's all yours!

MICHIGAN GOVERNOR RACE

CNN Correspondent Jessica Schneider reporting from Warren, Michigan

Good Evening! I am in Warren, Michigan. It's located in Macomb County. President Rubio won here overwhelmigly twice and even Governor Schuette carried this County in 2018. It's home of the legendary "Reagan Democrats" but more commonly known as "Rubio Democrats" in 2016 & 2020. The latest Poll from the Detroit Free Press has Whitmer up by 3 Percentage Points (48-45) fulled by Independent Suburban Voters who are backing her 53% to 47%. In 2018 Governor Schuettle carried those crucial Independents 52-48. The Race will likely come down to Macomb, Wayne and Oakland Counties. In Western Michigan the Governor will do very well but Republicans are uneasy what happens here and around suburban Detroit as well as Lansing and Flint. Like in PA (we just heard from Sara Snider) there is also no Early Voting. Democrats however telling me that they have already banked in about 30,000 Absentee Ballots. With that I'm tossing it over to my collegue Suzanne Malveaux who is in St. Paul, Minnesota covering the tight Governor Race there.

MINNESOTA GOVERNOR RACE

CNN Correspondent Suzanne Malveaux reporting from St. Paul, Minnesota

Good Evening from St. Paul, Minnesota. In 2018 the State produced one of the biggest Upsets on Election Night as Jeff Johnson defeated 1-Term Senator & 2-Term Governor Mark Dayton 52-48 despite Senators Klobuchar & Smith overwhelmingly winning Reelection. One of the Reasons was Johnson overperforming in the area of the Twin Cities where I am which is usually pretty Democratic. It's not a coincidence that the Democratic Candidate for Governor, Congressman Tim Walz held several Campaign Rallys over the past few Days to drive up the D-Turnout. South of Minneapolis & St. Paul Republicans do well as do they in the "Iron Range" which changed quite a bit over the last decade or so. The lastest Poll in the State on behalf of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune done by Mason-Dixon Polling & Research released this morning gives Walz a slight 49-47 lead over Governor Johnson. It's though well within the Polls MOE of 4 Percentage Points. Given the National Political Climate Political Handicappers in the State have Walz a very slight Favourite to win on Tuesday. With that I'm throwing it over to Jim Sciutto who is in Green Bay, Wisconsin.

WISCONSIN GOVERNOR RACE

CNN Correspondent Jim Sciutto reporting from Green Bay, Wisconsin

Good Evening from Green Bay, Wisconsin. Reince Priebus, President Rubio's former White House Chief of Staff & Republican Candidate for Governor wrapped up a Campaign Event an Hour ago thanking Supporters. He campaigned on being a different type of Governor, bringing Jobs back to Wisconsin and credited his bipartisan credentials during his tenure in the Rubio Administration. Final Polls in the State have him with a mid to high single digit lead over his Democratic Opponent Tony Evers. He is very well liked across the board and Republicans very much expecting him to win this Race. Wisconsin is in a very unusual place this year where they like their Candidate who is running for Governor more than their current Governor. Ted Rowlands who is covering the Senate mentioned Ticket Splitting when he gave his Report from Madison. We felt that here in Green Bay as well. I talked to several Voters after the Event and they told me that they are willing to sent a Democrat to the Senate while at the same time voting for their favourite son in the Governors Race. With that I'm throwing it to Kyung Lah out west who is in Littleton, Colorado covering the tight Governor Race there.

COLORADO GOVERNOR RACE

CNN Correspondent Kyung Lah reporting from Littleton, Colorado

Thank You Jim. Yes, I am here in Littleton Colorado. It's just outside of the Denver Metropolean Area and borders Jefferson, Douglass and Arapahoe Counties. Particularly Jefferson & Arapahoe have become critical in recent Statewide Elections dating back all the way back to 2010. It's here where former Senator Michael Bennet, a Democrat pulled of the Election over Tea Party Favourite Ken Buck and former President Obama beat Mitt Romney. It's also in these suburban locations where now Senate Majority Leader Cory Gardner won his Election in 2014 and so did then Candidate Marco Rubio in 2016 & 2020. Also, current Govenor Walker Stapleton fought Democrat Cary Kennedy to a draw in these Counties enabling him to be elected Governor of Colorado in 2018. Since 2014 Colorado has become an "All Mail-In" State. Although the Race between Stapleton and his Democratic Opponent, Congressman Jared Polis is very tight there is serious concern among Republicans pulling these Races off and here is why: Usually as E-Day approaches Republicans trend to be leading or being tied in Ballots that have already being returned. This year though Democrats according to the newest Numbers from the Secretary of State's Office are ahead by a fair amount. Why is that critical: Democrats trend to hold their Ballots much longer before they drop them off at the "Drop-off Sites" meaning that the late arriving Ballots will be more Democratic. I spoke to both State Party Chairman and the Democratic Side is feeling much more optimistic than the Republican Side. With that I'm tossing it back in the Studio to Jake Tapper.

Thank You Jessica, Suzanne, Jim and Kyung for your reporting. That will wrap up the 2nd Hour of our AC 360 Special Edition. Please be sure to join on Tuesday November 8th at 5pm ET for our "Election Night in America" Coverage which Anderson Cooper and myself will be anchoring with the release of the Exit Polling. Good Night from Washington. CNN's "Tonight" with Don Lemon starts right now.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1303 on: March 10, 2019, 11:47:16 PM »
« Edited: September 26, 2019, 10:28:46 AM by UWS »

ELECTION NIGHT IN AMERICA

Anderson Cooper, Anchor „AC 360“ & Jake Tapper, Anchor „CNN State of the Union“

It's 5pm ET Tuesday November 8th 2022 and we welcome our viewers in the US and around the world for our Special Coverage. Approximately 120 Million Americans will be voting today. That's higher than the 2000 Presidential Election. I'm Anderson Cooper in the CNN Election Center. In a few moments we will be releasing the first Exit Poll of Election 2022 so stand by for that. With me every step of the way is our Lead Anchor of CNN's State of the Union, Jake Tapper.

Thank You Anderson. What an exciting Night we've in store including several potential Cliffhangers in Battleground States. We also have our entire CNN Correspondents in all the Major Campaign Headquarters & throughout the Night:

• CNN's Chief White House Correspondent Michelle Kosinski is reporting from the WH North Lawn
  • CNN's Senior Congressional Correspondent Manu Raju is at Democratic HQ in Washington
  • CNN Correspondent Kyra Phillips is at the Isakson HQ in Athens, Georgia
  • CNN Correspondent Nick Valencia is at the Abrams HQ in Atlanta, Georgia
  • CNN Correspondent Athena Jones is at the Cooper HQ in Raleigh, North Carolina
  • CNN National Correspondent René Marsh is at the Obama HQ in Chicago, Illinois
  • CNN Correspondent Rebecca Berg is at the Blunt HQ in Springfield, Missouri
  • CNN "OutFront" Host Erin Burnett is in Columbus, Ohio
  • CNN Correspondent Sara Snider is in King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
  • CNN Correspondent Ted Rowlands is at the Democratic Candidates HQ in Madison, Wisconsin
  • CNN Correspondent Jim Sciutto is at the Republican HQ in Waukesha, Wisconsin
  • CNN Correspondent Jessica Schneider is in Warren, Michigan
  • CNN Correspondent Suzanne Malveaux is in St. Paul, Minnesota
  • CNN Correspondent Poppy Harlow is at the Democratic Candidates HQ in Des Moines, Iowa
  • CNN Correspondent Pamela Brown is at the Republican Candidates HQ in Des Moines, Iowa
  • CNN Newsroom "Weekends" Host Ana Cabrera is at the Republican Candidates HQ in Tuscon, Arizona
  • CNN Correspondent Kyung Lah is in Littleton, Colorado
  • CNN Correspondent Ed Lavandera is in Las Vegas, Nevada
and
  • CNN Correspondent Jeff Zeleny is at the Harris Campaign HQ in Oakland, California

Before we go to our Political Director David Chalian to give us some early clues how this Night might pan out through our Exit Polling I quickly want to go to our Chief White House Correspondent Michelle Kosinski to gauge how the White House feels going into this Night.

Michelle Kosinski, CNN Chief White House Correspondent

Good Evening Jake! The White House is bracing for a very challenging Night ahead. The 2nd MidTerm of a Presidency is always very problematic. They're looking for some bright spots. Get this: The States where the President & his aides spent the most time during the entire Midterm Campaign are Ohio, Iowa, Wisconsin and Arizona so if they win both Races in Iowa and Ohio, the Governor Race in Wisconsin and both Races in Arizona they will feel a lot better. One Presidential Adviser telling me quote "We absolutely need to get Mary Taylor reelected in Ohio. If we lose there it would be a huge Roadblock for the Republican Nominee in 2024". At the same time they're very aware & a bit discouraged what they're seeing happening in the suburbs through Polling and other metrics. There is a Race just across Town in the Northern Virginia Suburbs between Congresswoman Barbara Comstock and State Senator Jennifer Wexton that could be indicative how this Night might go. Polls showing Comstock losing by double digits as her Democratic Opponent Wexton labelled her very successfully as "partisan hack" saying she votes with the President 99 % of the time. If Republicans lose that Seat as expected that could foreshadow very tight Races at the Congressional Level as well as at the State Level east of the Mississippi River like Georgia (Atlanta Suburbs), North Carolina (Raleigh Research Triangle), Pennsylvania (Suburban Counties around Philly) as well as in other places like Michigan, Minnesota, Colorado & Nevada. The White House despite all these challenges though expects that Republicans keep Control of Congress. Back to you Jake!

Thank You Michelle! Let's go to our Political Director David Chalian. David, what do you see in the Exit Polls?

EXIT POLLS

David Chalian, CNN Political Director

Well Jake, the Voters still seem to like their President but they have very strong feelings about the Republican Congressional Leadership. By a slight margin they also think the Country is just a little bit off the wrong track.
NATIONAL HOUSE EXIT POLL
Female = 52 %

Vote by Age
18 - 29 = 15 %
30 - 44 = 13 %
45 - 64 = 34 %
65 and older = 24 %

Vote by Race
White = 69 %
Black = 12 %
Latino = 13 %
Asian = 4 %
Other = 2 %

Vote by Income
Under 50K = 40 %
50K - 100K = 29 %
100K or more = 31 %

Vote by Party ID
Democrats = 38 %
Republicans = 31 %
Independents = 31 %

Ideology
Liberal = 30 %
Moderate = 42 %
Conservative = 28 %

Opinion of Marco Rubio as President
Approve = 56 %
Disapprove = 44 %

Recent USA/North Korea & USA/Iran Summits were
Successful = 59 %
A Failure = 41 %

Was one of the reason for your vote for House of Representatives today
Support Rubio = 36 %
Oppose Rubio = 27 %
Rubio not a factor = 37 %

Opinion of the Republican Party
Favorable = 47 %
Unfavorable = 53 %

Opinion of the Democratic Party
Favorable = 53 %
Unfavorable = 47 %

Who is most Trustworthy
President Rubio = 55 %
Republicans in Congress = 18 %
Democrats in Congress = 27 %

The Direction of the Country is...
Right Direction = 54 %
Wrong Track = 42 %
Unsure = 6 %

Most important Issue facing the Country
Taxes & Wages = 38 %
Gun Policy = 25 %
Economy = 17 %
Immigration = 10 %
Health Care = 10 %

National Economic Conditions are...
Good = 63 %
Poor = 37 %

Opinion of the Federal Health Care Law passed by Congress in 2017?
Support = 55 %
Oppose = 45 %

Opinion of the Opportunity Act known as Immigration Reform Bill passed by Congress in 2018?
Support = 63 %
Oppose = 37 %

Opinion of the Balanced Budget Amendment passed by Congress in 2021?
Support = 48 %
Oppose = 52 %

Vote by Area
Urban Area = 32 %
Suburban Area = 53 %
Rural Area = 15 %

These are only the National Exit Poll Numbers Jake! We're going to dig into some of the individual States a bit later in the evening.

Thank You David! We're going to take a very brief Commercial Break. When we come back Anderson Cooper will talk to our Panel of CNN Contributors. Stay tuned and don't go away!

CNN COMMERCIAL BREAK

And we're back from our Commercial! Let's throw it to Anderson Cooper to discuss with our CNN Panel!

Anderson Cooper, Host "AC 360" & Election Night Anchor

Joining me here now to discuss are our CNN Contributors S. E. Cupp, Host of "S. E. Cupp Unfiltered & Republican Strategist, former Pennsylvania Senator Rick Santorum who is also a Republican Strategist, David Axelrod who was a Senior Adviser to former President Obama and Jennifer Granholm, a Democratic Strategist & former Michigan Governor. First Question to you S. E.: What do you make of these Numbers?

S. E. Cupp, Republican Strategist & Host S. E. Cupp Unfiltered

I think Republicans are in for a very rough Night here. Voters want "Balance" and they are expressing that right now with their Vote. President Rubio's JA was 65% during Election Night 2018 & 2020 and now it's split. It's still better though than Republicans in Congress and the Favorability of the Republican Party overall. That Supermajority in the Senate didn't do us anything good I think. It further alienated Moderate Republican Senators from their States and moved them too far to the right. That being said some of the Senate losses we might be able to have to take tonight were self-inflicted. I wasn't very thrilled when I heard Senators Isakson & Blunt running for Reelection. Both have been in Washington for quite some time & have become very unpopular back at home. Any other Republican in the Georgia GOP Congressional Delegation would have held that Seat with ease. In Missouri we have a very young, charismatic & energetic Attorney General in Josh Hawley who would have won easily. Democrats during this Election Cycle clearly did a better Job recruiting Candidates for House, Senate and Governor Races. There might a few bright spots though with Reince Priebus in Wisconsin, Pat Grassley & Kim Reynolds in Iowa and Mrs Márquez Peterson retaining the AZ Governorship along with Senator McSally winning Reelection.

Rick Santorum, Republican Strategist & Former Pennsylvania Senator

First of all these Numbers do not look good for Republicans except for the President. The fact that he is at 58 % and the Overall Number for the Party is a 47 % suggest that Candidates will have a very tough time tonight but with his Campaign Efforts he will safe some Seats/Races. The Balanced Budget being underwater is not a huge surprise for me. The release of the depth burden hasn't reached the Average Voter yet. Also, it passed with only 6 Democrats voting for it in the Senate (75-25). Voters trusting the President & Democrats in Congress more than Republicans also suggests a very rough Night ahead. More Democrats & Liberals voting than Republicans & Conservatives looks like Democrats potentially having a big Night. I'm of course very interested in my Home State of Pennsylvania. We haven't seen any Exits there but if this National Exit Poll is any indication Republicans Toomey & Dent will have a very tough Night especially in the suburban Counties around Philly which I won in 1994 and lost in 2006. I am keenly interested in Ohio as well. There could be two Cliffhangers in the making as Polls were suggesting.

David, what are you seeing in these Numbers and how excited are you potentially seeing Michelle Obama getting elected to the Senate?

David Axelrod, Democratic Strategist & Former Senior Adviser to President Obama

The Demographic Numbers are very interesting Anderson. We were seeing this already in Presidential Years with the White Vote declining and the Country becoming more diverse. Candidate & President Rubio was able to counter that being able to be the 1st Hispanic Candidate & then President by reaching out to the Hispanic Community but he isn't on the Ballot anymore. This uptick in the Hispanic Vote tells you that the "Rubio coalition" isn't neccessarily a Republican coalition, it's an American coalition. If these Numbers hold up in individual States like Nevada, Colorado and New Mexico it would suggest Democrats having a very good Night there. It would also help Roy Cooper in North Carolina (Hispanic Population is growing there) as well as Georgia for Stacey Abrams. Given the Unpopularity of Republicans in Congress I think the Missouri Senate Race between Senator Roy Blunt and State Auditor Nicole Galloway is still very much in play for Democrats. I also think that the Senate Race down in Florida will be closer than expected despite being it the President's Home State. Reprensentative Darren Soto is the 1st Puerto Rican running for Statewide Office. Sentor Cantera is still favoured to win but it will be within 10 Points I think.
We're very excited seeing Michelle Obama getting elected to the Senate. She ran a flawless Campaign against Senator Mark Kirk who move too far to the right for Illinois' Maindtream Voters.
One Final Note: SE is right. Candidates do matter and Democrats have done a better job this year.

Governor, how do you see the Governor Race in your Home State of Michigan unfolding?

Jennifer Granholm, Democratic Strategist & Former Michigan Governor

I think Gretchen Whitmer will be the next Governor of Michigan. It will be close but I think she will prevail this time. Voter Enthusiasm in my Home State among Democrats is much higher this year compared to 2018 when we all were kind of shellshocked how well Republicans did in the Midwest. Not only did they win the Michigan Governorship but they also won the Senate Race  there as well. They also picked up a Governor Seat in Minnesota and a Senate Seat in Wisconsin. With the Excemption of the Wisconsin Governor Race where President Rubio's former Chief of Staff Reince Priebus seems to have a modest lead the TREND will be reversed tonight. In addition to Michigan we will win in Minnesota as well due to Governor Johnson's Unpopularity. The same goes for Wisconsin where I think Rep. Ron Kind has a very good chance picking of the Seat of Senator Ron Johnson who is retiring. Republicans do seem to have some sort of edge in Iowa. We'll see what happens there.

Thank You Ladies and Gentlemen. Back to you Jake!

In just a few minutes we will be getting the first Votes from Kentucky & Indiana. Here is how we cover this Night. David Chalian will keep us up-to-date with the Exit Polling, Chief Political Correspondent Dana Bash will cover the Senate Races and Nia-Malika Henderson will cover the Governor Races.
Anderson & myself will be at the Main Anchor Desk with "KEY RACE ALERTS"

Covering the Senate Races

Covering the Governor Races

Stay tuned for continueing Coverage of „Election Night in America 2022“ in Moments....
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1304 on: March 14, 2019, 12:26:58 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2019, 06:07:55 PM by UWS »

Election Night 2022, Part 1

CNN's America's Choice theme : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uvpd4myQXs

Anderson Cooper : Good evening ladies and gentlemen and welcome to CNN's coverage of the 2022 midterm elections. I'm Anderson Cooper and my team and I are now covering a crucial night that will determine the balance of power for the second half of President Rubio's second term. Will the Democrats be able to balance the Senate or will the Republicans be able to keep their supermajority?

It's 7 pm and CNN can now make our first projections in the states of Vermont, Indiana and Kentucky.

7:00 pm

Anderson Cooper : CNN can project that Christine Hallquist, Governor Phil Scott's 2018 Democratic challenger, will be elected to represent Vermont in the U.S. Senate and succeed to retiring Senator Patrick Leahy. Meanwhile, Kentucky Senator Rand Paul is easily re-elected for a third term in the Senate over Democrat Ben Chandler. In Indiana, Senator Todd Young will be re-elected for a second term, defeating his Democratic opponent Indianapolis Mayor Bart Peterson.

Vermont Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
Christine Hallquist : 60 %
Bruce Lisman : 36 %

Kentucky Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
Rand Paul : 59 %
Ben Chandler : 38 %

Indiana Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
Todd Young : 57 %
Bart Peterson : 40 %

7:30 pm

Anderson Cooper : Right now, it is 7:30 pm and we can project that in South Carolina, the home state of Vice-President Haley, Senator Tim Scott will be re-elected for a second full term, crushing his Democratic challenger Vic Rawl. Both the Senate and gubernatorial races in Georgia are too close to call between Johnny Isakson at the senate level and between Brian Kemp and John Barrow. In Ohio, the senate race is too close to call, but incumbent Senator Rob Portman is in the lead, the same for Governor Mary Taylor in the gubernatorial race. In New Hampshire, Democrat Ann-McLane Kuster is narrowly ahead of Senator Kelly Ayotte but Governor Chris Sununu seems to be cruising to victory with a 8 percentage point lead.

South Carolina Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
Tim Scott : 62 %
Vic Rawl : 36 %

Georgia Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
Johnny Isakson : 48 %
Bill Nelson : 43 %

Georgia Governor - 1 % of the vote reported
Brian Kemp : 47 %
John Barrow : 41 %

Ohio Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
Rob Portman : 49 %
Richard Cordray : 45 %

Ohio Governor - 1 % of the vote reported
Mary Taylor : 47 %
Michael B. Coleman : 44 %

New Hampshire Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
Ann-McLane Kuster : 51 %
Kelly Ayotte : 49 %

New Hampshire Governor - 1 % of the vote reported
Chris Sununu : 48 %
Joyce Craig : 40 %

8:00 pm

Anderson Cooper : Now we can reveal the 8 pm projections. In President Rubio's home state of Florida, the Republicans have the edge. Senator Carlos Lopez-Cantera is ahead by single digits over Representative Darren Soto and Governor Putnam has a 9 percentage point lead over Miami Beach Mayor Philip Levine. They seem to be benefiting from the fact that Florida is President Rubio's home state. In Pennsylvania, Governor Tom Wolf is leading Pat Toomey by 4 points. Meanwhile, the race for Governor is too close to call between Congressmen Charlie Dent and Connor Lamb. In North Carolina, it's a dead heat between Pat McCrory and Roy Cooper. In Alabama, Republican Luther Strange unsurprisingly wins Richard Shelby's senate seat.

Florida Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
Carlos Lopez-Cantera : 49 %
Darren Soto : 41 %

Florida Governor - 1 % of the vote reported
Adam Putnam : 47 %
Philip Levine : 40 %

Pennsylvania Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
Tom Wolf : 52 %
Pat Toomey : 48 %

Pennsylvania Governor - 1 % of the vote reported
Charlie Dent : 46 %
Connor Lamb : 46 %

Alabama Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
Luther Strange : 60 %
Artur Davis : 38 %

8:30 pm

Anderson Cooper : Now is 8:30 pm. In Illinois, we can project that former First Lady Michelle Obama is leading by double digits over Mark Kirk. Illinois Governor Chris Kennedy is re-elected thanks to a 17 percentage point lead. In Missouri, Roy Blunt is enjoying a strong lead over Democrat State Auditor Nicole Galloway thanks to his strong performance in the Springfield area. Arkansas Senator John Boozman won re-election, as expected, beating former Lieutenant Governor Bill Halter.

Illinois Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
Michelle Obama : 52 %
Mark Kirk : 43 %

Illinois Governor - 1 % of the vote reported
Chris Kennedy : 57 %
Adam Andrzejewski : 40 %

Missouri Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
Roy Blunt : 49 %
Nicole Galloway : 40 %

Arkansas Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
John Boozman : 60 %

9:00 pm

Anderson Cooper : At 9 pm, we have a wave of projections. In Illinois, Michelle Obama is elected to the U.S. Senate, marking the first Democratic gain of the night. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer is unsurprisingly re-elected for a 5th term in the state of New York. In Massachusetts, Attorney General Maura Healey is reported to be elected as the state's next Governor. Senator Richard Blumenthal will be re-elected over David M. Walker. In the state of New Jersey, Sheila Oliver will be re-elected in the special election necessitated by Cory Booker's resignation due to allegations of agression on a gay man. In Maryland, we can project that Rep. John Sarbanes is elected Governor while Chris Van Hollen will be re-elected in the Senate. We can also project that Senator Johnny Isakson will defeat Stacey Abrams and win re-election for a 4th term. In Florida, we can report that both Senator Cantera-Lopez and Governor Putnam will be re-elected. Louisiana Senator John Kennedy easily wins re-election, the same for Texas Governor Gregg Abott. Senators James Lankford and Jerry Moran will easily win their senate races in their respective states of Oklahoma and Kansas. For both senatorial and gubernatorial races in the state of Wisconsin, it is too close to call.

Illinois Senate - 25 % of the vote reported
Michelle Obama : 55 %

New York Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
Chuck Schumer : 67 %
Richard L. Hanna : 31 %

New Jersey Senate Special - 1 % of the vote reported
Sheila Oliver : 55 %
Jack Ciattarelli : 42 %

Massachusetts Governor - 1 % of the vote reported
Maura Healey : 58 %
Karyn Polito : 39 %

Connecticut Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
Richard Blumenthal : 60 %
David M. Walker : 36 %

Maryland Governor - 1 % of the vote reported
John Sarbanes : 56 %
David R. Craig : 44 %

Maryland Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
Chris Van Hollen : 60 %
Bob Ehrlich : 40 %

Georgia Senate - 75 % of the vote reported
Johnny Isakson : 53 %
Stacey Abrams : 46 %

Florida Senate - 75 % of the vote reported
Carlos Lopez-Cantera : 52 %
Darren Soto : 45 %

Florida Governor - 75 % of the vote reported
Adam Putnam : 51 %
Philip Levine : 44 %

Louisiana Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
John Kennedy : 60 %
Darren Soto : 37 %

Texas Governor - 1 % of the vote reported
Gregg Abott : 56 %
Andrew White : 43 %

Wisconsin Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
Ron Kind : 49 %[/color]
Scott Walker : 41 %

Wisconsin Governor - 1 % of the vote reported
Reince Priebus : 48 %
Tony Evers : 42 %[/color]

Anderson Cooper : Now we can project, as expected, that the Republicans will keep control of the Senate as they now have won 53 seats thus far. This was expected due to their supermajority. But the question is will they be able to maintain this position in the senate.

REPUBLICANS TO HOLD MAJORITY IN THE U.S. SENATE

Republicans : 53 seats
Democrats : 28 seats

9:30 pm

Steve King : Now is 9:30 pm and we can project that Ann-McLane Kuster will win the senate race in New Hampshire while Chris Sununu wins a fourth term as Governor of New Hampshire. Gretchen Whitmer will win the governorship in Michigan. In the state of Ohio, we can project that Rob Portman will be re-elected for a third term and Mary Taylor wins re-election for a second term as Governor. Unsurprisingly, in the Dakotas, both John Hoeven and John Thune will win re-election by overwhelming margins.

New Hampshire Senate - 100 % of the vote reported
Ann-McLane Kuster : 52 %
Kelly Ayotte : 47 %

New Hampshire Governor - 100 % of the vote reported
Chris Sununu : 53 %
Joyce Craig : 44 %

Michigan Governor - 75 % of the vote reported
Gretchen Whitmer : 54 %
Bill Schuette : 45 %

Ohio Senate - 100 % of the vote reported
Rob Portman : 52 %
Richard Cordray : 46 %

Ohio Governor - 100 % of the vote reported
Mary Taylor : 51 %
Michael B. Coleman : 46 %

10:00 pm
Anderson Cooper : Now is 10 pm and we can Tim Walz wins the gubernatorial race in Minnesota. In North Carolina, Roy Cooper defeats Pat McCrory in the senate race. Ron Kind will win the senate race in Wisconsin against Scott Walker, though Reince Priebus wins the gubernatorial race to succeed Walker by double digits. Tom Wolf is elected to the U.S. Senate in Pennsylvania while Charlie Dent is elected Governor of Pennsylvania. In Connecticut, Governor Tony Hwang narrowly wins re-election thanks to his ability to appeal among independents and to his moderate stance on issues like environment and abortion. In Iowa, we can see that Pat Grassley is in good shape to succeed his grandfather Chuck Grassley in the Senate in this state that considerably shifted to the right in the last few years.

Minnesota Governor - 50 % of the vote reported
Tim Walz : 58 %
Jeff Johnson : 39 %

North Carolina Senate - 100 % of the vote reported
Roy Cooper : 50 %
Pat McCrory : 48 %

Wisconsin Senate - 50 % of the vote reported
Ron Kind : 52 %
Scott Walker : 45%

Wisconsin Governor - 100 % of the vote reported
Reince Priebus : 53 %
Tony Evers : 46 %

Pennsylvania Senate - 50 % of the vote reported
Pat Toomey : 46 %

Pennsylvania Governor - 100 % of the vote reported
Charlie Dent : 53 %
Connor Lamb : 47 %

Connecticut Governor - 100 % of the vote reported
Tony Hwang : 50 %
Jim Himes : 49 %

Iowa Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
Pat Grassley : 50 %
Dave Loebsack : 41 %

Anderson Cooper : Stay tuned, ladies and gentlemen, we'll be back to the coverage of the 2022 midterm elections after the commercial break.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1305 on: March 14, 2019, 01:00:27 PM »

How are the results of the Housing Shaping up

My Guess is

Republicans: 210-232
Democrats: 203-225

Also one nitpick: The % of precincts  seem way too high this early in the night
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1306 on: March 14, 2019, 01:06:59 PM »

How are the results of the Housing Shaping up

My Guess is

Republicans: 210-232
Democrats: 203-225

Also one nitpick: The % of precincts  seem way too high this early in the night

I'll show it in the next post.
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1307 on: March 14, 2019, 01:53:47 PM »
« Edited: March 14, 2019, 02:50:07 PM by 2016 »

Surprise of the Night: Whitmer beating Schuette by nearly 20 Points. This also suggests Republicans really got clobbered in the upper Midwest. Hwang beating Himes is also a surprise.

With Patrick Leahy & Chuck Grassley retiring the both Parties will have new Judiciary Chairman.

Democrats picked off 5 Senate Seats in Illinois (Michelle Obama), New Hampshire (Anne-McLane Kuster), Pennsylvania (Tom Wolf), Wisconsin (Ron Kind) and North Carolina (Roy Cooper). They were all expected. They haven't won a close one yet. Missouri is still open and St. Louis & Kansas City comes in late.

With Michelle Obama & Sheila Oliver winning there will be at least 3 African-American Women in the Senate and Harris will likely make it four in California. That is a Record I think for the Senate.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1308 on: March 14, 2019, 06:09:07 PM »

Surprise of the Night: Whitmer beating Schuette by nearly 20 Points. This also suggests Republicans really got clobbered in the upper Midwest. Hwang beating Himes is also a surprise.

With Patrick Leahy & Chuck Grassley retiring the both Parties will have new Judiciary Chairman.

Democrats picked off 5 Senate Seats in Illinois (Michelle Obama), New Hampshire (Anne-McLane Kuster), Pennsylvania (Tom Wolf), Wisconsin (Ron Kind) and North Carolina (Roy Cooper). They were all expected. They haven't won a close one yet. Missouri is still open and St. Louis & Kansas City comes in late.

With Michelle Obama & Sheila Oliver winning there will be at least 3 African-American Women in the Senate and Harris will likely make it four in California. That is a Record I think for the Senate.

I meant 10 points. I fixed it.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1309 on: March 15, 2019, 02:45:51 AM »
« Edited: March 15, 2019, 03:05:48 AM by UWS »

Election Night 2022, Part 2

Anderson Cooper : Welcome back to the coverage of Election Night 2022. Now is 10 : 30 pm and we can project that Jared Polis is elected Governor of Colorado. Meanwhile, Utah Senator Mia Love, who was appointed Senator to fulfill Mike Lee's senate seat after President Rubio nominated him at the Supreme Court of the United States in 2017, wins re-election for a full term. In the state of Arizona, the senate race is too close to call but Senator Martha McSally is leading by 4 percentage points over her Democratic challenger former Governor and former Secretary of Homeland Security Janet Napolitano. In the gubernatorial election, Lea Marquez-Peterson, the President of the Hispanic Chamber of Commerce of Tucson is in the lead by double digits over former Arizona Attorney General Grant Woods. Thanks to her connections in Tucson, in the Pima County, a county that usually votes Democrat, she reduced the gap in the Pima County. In the state of Iowa, Pat Grassley, the grandson of Chuck Grassley, is in good position to succeed his grandfather in the U.S. Senate due to his 8 percentage point lead over Dave Loebsack in a state that considerably shifted to the right in the last few years. Lieutenant Governor Kim Reynolds is in the lead in the gubernatorial race.

Colorado Governor - 50 % of the vote reported
Jared Polis : 54 %
Walker Stapleton: 46 %

Utah Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
Mia Love : 70 %
Jim Matheson : 26 %

Arizona Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
Martha McSally : 47 %
Janet Napolitano : 43 %

Arizona Governor - 1 % of the vote reported
Lea Márquez Peterson : 51 %
Grant Woods : 40 %

Pat Grassley : 49 %
Dave Loebseck : 41 %

Iowa Governor - 1 % of the vote reported
Kim Reynolds : 46 %
Fred Hubbel : 41 %

11:00 pm

Anderson Cooper : Now it is 11 pm and we can project that California Senator Kamala Harris wins re-election, which might put her in good position for a 2024 presidential bid. In Hawaii, we can project that Brian Schutz is re-elected, the same for Mike Crapo in Idaho.

California Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
Kamala Harris : 63 %
Carl DeMaio : 37 %

Hawaii Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
Brian Schatz : 76 %
Charles Djou : 24 %

Idaho Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
Mike Crapo : 69 %
William Bryk : 26 %

11:30 pm

Anderson Cooper : At 11 pm we can project that both Ron Wyden and Patty Murray won re-election in Oregon and Washington though the recruitment of Knute Buehler and Cathy McMorris Rodgers by the Republicans put the Democrats further on defense by giving them less time to focus on other battleground states by increasing focus on the defense of these 2 seats against 2 strong candidates. In Colorado, we can project that Senator Darryl Glenn will beat Ed Perlmutter. It seems that his co-sponsored Fissile Cut-Off Ratification Act of 2021 to advance the denuclearization of North Korea and Iran through the prohibition of use of fissile material to build nuclear weapons or WMDs helped him in his senate re-election campaign while he attacked Perlmutter on his lack of accomplishments in the House of Representatives.

Steve King : And in Iowa we can report that Pat Grassley will fulfill his grandfather Chuck Grassley's senate seat after defeating Dave Loebseck. In the state of Missouri, Roy Blunt won re-election in a competitive race against Nicole Galloway.

Oregon Senate - 25 % of the vote reported
Ron Wyden : 54 %
Knute Buehler : 46 %

Washington Senate - 25 % of the vote reported
Patty Murray : 55 %
Cathy McMorris Rodgers : 45 %

Iowa Senate - 50 % of the vote reported
Pat Grassley : 54 %
Dave Loebseck : 44 %

Iowa Governor - 50 % of the vote reported
Kim Reynolds : 51 %
Fred Hubbel : 44 %

Missouri Senate - 100 % of the vote reported
Roy Blunt : 50 %
Nicole Galloway : 46 %

12:00 am

Anderson Cooper : We are now at midnight and we can project that Senator Joe Heck and Governor Adam Laxalt will respectively win the senatorial and gubernatorial races in Nevada. By winning the Washoe County (home to Reno) they secured victories in Nevada. And in New Mexico, John Sanchez wins a second term as Governor thanks to the Hispanic vote. In the state of Arizona, we can project that Senator McSally will be re-elected for a full term in the U.S. Senate, defeating Janet Napolitano by a 7 percentage point margin. It seems that McSally's attacks on Napolitano's record as Secretary of Homeland Security that was marked by the Al Qaida bombing attempt on Northwest Airlines Flight 253 in December 2009 and the terrorist attack in the Boston Marathon in 2013 have worked. And we can project that Lea Marquez Peterson will be elected as the 24th Governor of Arizona.

Nevada Senate - 50 % of the vote reported
Joe Heck : 50 %
Dina Titus : 48 %

Nevada Governor - 50 % of the vote reported
Adam Laxalt : 51 %
Ross Miller : 48 %

New Mexico Governor - 100 % of the vote reported
John Sanchez : 51 %
Rick Miera : 48 %

Arizona Senate - 50 % of the vote reported
Martha McSally : 52 %
Janet Napolitano : 45 %

Arizona Governor - 50 % of the vote reported
Lea Márquez Peterson : 54 %
Grant Woods : 42 %

1:00 am

Anderson Cooper : Now is 1 am and Alaska Senator Lisa Murkowski will unsurprisingly be re-elected for a 4th term.

Alaska Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
Lisa Murkowski : 58 %
Edgar Blatchford : 36 %

Republicans : 64 seats
Democrats : 36 seats

Anderson Cooper : So here are the maps : the Democrats won 4 governorships tonight. Now the Senate will be 64-36 Republican and the House of Representatives will be 245-190 Republican. So though the Democrats gained 33 House seats and 5 senate seats, the Republicans managed to keep their majority in the House and their supermajority in the Senate, which is a victory for President Rubio who will keep the clear ability to pass his agenda.

Jake Tapper : This must be due to the strong economic prosperity that America is living, to the spreading of peace and security around the world due to the decisive success of the U.S. troops' mission in Afghanistan and to the diplomatic negotiations between the United States, North Korea and Iran and so voters went to the polls and decided to give President Rubio the mandate to accomplish this agenda.

Anderson Cooper : So good night ladies and gentlemen and we thank you for watching the coverage of the 2022 midterm elections.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #1310 on: March 15, 2019, 02:56:26 AM »

In some ways these elections results mirror 1966:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966_United_States_House_of_Representatives_elections

Democrats lost more in the house but they still had a pretty healthy 248-197 majority after these elections

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1966_United_States_Senate_elections

Democrats maintain their super majority
PRESIDENT STANTON
United States

« Reply #1311 on: March 15, 2019, 04:37:20 AM »

I thought there might’ve been more SCOTUS turnovers!  I can’t believe that Ruth Bader Ginsburg or Stephen Breyer are even still on the court! I thought that Rubio might’ve put more Justices besides Lee or Pryor on SC.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1312 on: March 15, 2019, 05:44:59 AM »

I thought there might’ve been more SCOTUS turnovers!  I can’t believe that Ruth Bader Ginsburg or Stephen Breyer are even still on the court! I thought that Rubio might’ve put more Justices besides Lee or Pryor on SC.

Ginsburg will be 90 in 2023, so she is likely to retire or die that year, which will be necessitating a SCOTUS nomination.
PRESIDENT STANTON
United States

« Reply #1313 on: March 15, 2019, 06:30:53 AM »

I guess Nikki Haley becomes the favorite to win the GOP presidential nomination in 2024, I can imagine if she gets the nomination she will could pick Josh Romney as her VP running mate, well she has a wealth of political talent.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1314 on: March 15, 2019, 01:02:47 PM »

Can we get a list of all the senators at this point?
BigVic
Australia

« Reply #1315 on: March 15, 2019, 08:36:20 PM »

RBG and Breyer are on the court alive ITTL In 2022. Another wonderful update.
OBD
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.26

« Reply #1316 on: March 15, 2019, 10:56:13 PM »

Ginsburg will be 90 in 2023, so she is likely to retire or die that year, which will be necessitating a SCOTUS nomination.
Dang looks like SCOTUS will be conservative at least for the next generation...
PRESIDENT STANTON
United States

« Reply #1317 on: March 16, 2019, 08:31:22 AM »

Will Rubio fall victim to lame duck status as 2023 progresses and attention turns to the 2024 presidential campaign ? or will his political influence transcend all political activities in both congress and on the campaign trail. I have a feeling that this will be the case.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1318 on: March 16, 2019, 12:03:19 PM »

Will Rubio fall victim to lame duck status as 2023 progresses and attention turns to the 2024 presidential campaign ? or will his political influence transcend all political activities in both congress and on the campaign trail. I have a feeling that this will be the case.

This option.
wxtransit
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: 2.43

« Reply #1319 on: March 16, 2019, 01:20:36 PM »

This is a beautiful timeline.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1320 on: March 16, 2019, 02:16:55 PM »

Thanks!
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1321 on: March 19, 2019, 12:18:13 AM »

CNN "NEW DAY"
POST-ELECTION COVERAGE
DEMOCRATS MAKE GAINS; REPUBLICANS KEEP CONGRESS
with Alisyn Camerota, John Berman & Christine Romans

John Berman, Anchor "CNN NEW DAY"

Good Morning. It's 3am in New York, 8am in London, 11am in Moscow on Wednesday November 8th 2022. Where ever you watching from around the world thanks for joining us. It's a "NEW DAY" in America.

Alisyn Camerota, Co-Anchor "CNN NEW DAY"

After a long and contentious Final few weeks Campaign 2022 is finally over. Although Democrats made a NET GAIN of 33 House Seats & 5 Senate Seats Republicans kept their Majorities in Congress. Most importantly they kept their Senate Supermajority. Democrats also won 5 Governor Races and in the process elected the 1st openly gay Governor in Governor-elect Jared Polis of Colorado. They also elected the 1st Female Governor of Massachusetts in State Attorney General Maura Healey. Republicans though won a big Governor Race in Pennsylvania where moderate former U. S. House Rep. Charlie Dent beat back a moderate Democrat in Rep. Conor Lamb. For a Rundown of all these Races we go our Chief Business Correspondent Christine Romans who is at the Big Board. Christine, take it away!

Christine Romans, "CNN Chief Business Correspondent"

Thank You Alisyn! Let's go to our "BIG BOARD" here:

HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
REPUBLICANS 245 SEATS
DEMOCRATS 190 SEATS

UNITED STATES SENATE
REPUBLICANS 64 SEATS
DEMOCRATS 36 SEATS

As you can see Republican maintained their grip on Congress. Let's look at some "KEY SENATE RACES" around the Country. When the Results started to come in at 7pm ET last Night CNN listened 13 KEY RACES, Democrats won five, Republicans won eight:

Democratic Pick Ups

New Hampshire: Rep. Ann-McLane Kuster def. Senator Kelly Ayotte 52-47
Pennsylvania: Governor Tom Wolf def. Senator Pat Toomey 52-46
North Carolina: Governor Roy Cooper def. former Governor Pat McCrory 50-48 (OPEN SEAT)
Illinois: Former First Lady Michelle Obama def. Senator Mark Kirk 55-43
Wisconsin: Rep. Ron Kind def. Governor Scott Walker 52-45 (OPEN SEAT)

Republican Holds

Georgia: Senator Johnny Isakson def. State Senator Stacey Abrams 53-46
Florida: Senator Carlos Lopez-Cantera def. Rep. Darren Soto 52-45
Ohio: Senator Rob Portman def. Former Ohio Attorney General Richard Cordray 52-46
Iowa: State Senator Pat Grassley def. Former Rep. Dave Loebsack 54-44 (OPEN SEAT)
Missouri: Senator Roy Blunt def. State Auditor Nicole Galloway 50-46
Colorado: Senator Darryl Glenn def. Rep. Ed Perlmutter
Nevada: Senator Joe Heck def. Rep. Dina Titus 50-48
Arizona: Senator Martha McSally def. Former Governor & Homeland Secretary Janet Napolitano 52-45

Also, with the Election of Michelle Obama, Sheila Oliver & Reelection of Kamala Harris, Darryl Glenn, Mia Love and Tim Scott we now have a Record Number of African Americans in the Senate.

African Americans in the next United States Senate

Senator Condoleeza Rice (R, California)
Senator Kamala Harris (D, California)
Senator Darryl Glenn (R, Colorado)
Senator-elect Michelle Obama (D, Illinois)
Senator John James (R, Michigan)
Senator Sheila Oliver (D, New Jersey)
Senator Tim Scott (R, South Carolina)
Senator Mia Love (R, Utah)

It should also be noted that Christine Hallquist who will replace Senator Patrick Leahy in Vermont will become the 1st openly Transgender Senator in the Country. That's a huge step forward for our Nation.

Let's look also at some Key Governorships that were decided last Night. Republicans did lose some but the Three biggest "Swing States" (Florida, Pennsylvania and Ohio) now have Republican Governors:

KEY GOVERNOR RACES AROUND THE COUNTRY

Connecticut: Governor Tony Hwang def. Rep. Jim Himes
Florida: Governor Adam Putnam def. Former Miami Mayor Philipp Levine
Georgia: Governor Brian Kemp def. Former Rep. John Barrow
Pennsylvania: Former Rep. Charlie Dent def. Rep. Conor Lamb
Ohio: Governor Mary Taylor def. Former Columbus Mayor Michael B. Coleman
Iowa: Lieutnant Governor Kim Reynolds def. Businessman Fred Hubbell
Wisconsin: Former RNC Chairman & WH CoS Reince Priebus def. WI Superintendent of Public Instruction Tony Evers
Michigan: Former MI Senate Minority Leader Gretchen Whitmer def. Governor Bill Schuette
Minnesota: Former Rep. Tim Walz def. Governor Jeff Johnson
Colorado: Rep. Jared Polis def. Governor Walker Stapleton
Nevada: Governor Adam Laxalt def. Former NV Secretary of State Ross Miller
Arizona: Tuscon Chamber of Commerce President Lea Márquez Peterson def. Former AZ Attorney General Grant Woods
New Mexico: Governor John Sanchez def. Rick Miera

It's a little bit off a mixed bag for both Parties in these Race. Republicans had hoped that they could retain Governorships in Michigan & Minnesota while Democrats certainly will be a bit disappointed not picking up either Nevada, Arizona or New Mexico.

What's interesting is that with the Elections of all these Female Governors about 20% of U. S. Governors are now held by a Women.

Female Governors in the United States

Governor Mary Taylor (Ohio)
Governor Diane Black (Tennessee)
Governor Kristi Noem (South Dakota)
Governor-elect Kim Reynolds (Iowa)
Governor-elect Lea Márquez Peterson (Arizona)

Governor-elect Tulsi Gabbard (Hawaii)
Governor-elect Maura Healey (Massachusetts)
Governor-elect Gretchen Whitmer (Michigan)
Outgoing Governor Kate Brown (Oregon)

Back to you John & Alisyn!

Thanks Christine! Let's get to some Reaction from the White House where our Correspondent Abby Phillip (who like we are is up all Night long) is standing by. Abby, how does the White House feel now that this Night is over?

Abby Phillip, "CNN White House Correspondent"

Good Morning John! White House Aides telling me that the President may have seen his party losing some Races but is also pleasantly surprised with some others. Certainly losing close allies like Senator Ayotte in New Hampshire or Senator Toomey, who was one of the first Endorsers after then Candidate Rubio won the Iowa Caucuses in 2016. However, the President is glad though that some Republican Senators & Governors staved off Democratic Challengers in the West particularly in New Mexico, Arizona & Nevada. Aides also telling me whoever said the Upper Midwest is permanently Republican after President Rubio won a resounding victory there in 2020 should think twice. Michigan, Minnesota will be tough Battleground States whoever the Republican Nominee will be in 2024. We expect President Rubio to give a Press Conference between 10.30am and 11am this Morning to talk about some of these Results. After that it's straight back to his Day Job as President. As far as the next two years are concerned Congressional Aides telling me that Senate Majority Leader Cory Gardner will take a more pragmatic approach and try not to pass Legislation sorely on partisan Party Lines although Republicans still would have the Numbers for that. There could be an Infrastructure Bill coming early next year, a Criminal Justice Reform Bill and a Bill to increase the Minimum Wage nationally which could easily get passed with 75 or 80 Votes. Also, some Committees in the Senate will be shaken up like the Judiciary upon Retirements of the Deans Senator Chuck Grassley and Pat Leahy.
Also, next Wednesday is the One-Year Countdown of getting Americans back to the Moon. NASA Administrator Eric Stallmer is expected to give an Update on Proceedings down in Florida and also brief the President about it. President Rubio is expected to announce Dina Powell as his new National Security Adviser. Powell would be the 1st Women since Condoleeza Rice occupying this Job who was the National Security Adviser in the 1st Term of the Bush Administration. Back to you John!

Thank You Abby! Let's get to some Democratic Reaction. Our own Phil Mattingly is standing by at the Democratic Party HQ in Washington. Phil, how have Democrats seen this Night?

Phil Mattingly, "CNN Congressional Correspondent"

Good Morning Alisyn! Athough Democrats probably didn't have that Political Earthquake Night they were hoping for they view & frame this Night as the resurgence of the Mainstream Democrats. Certainly if you look at the Elections of Senators-elect Kuster, Wolf and particuarly Cooper or Governors-elect Walz & Whitmer they are not from the ultra progressive Wing of the Party instead they're from the Mainstream. Democrats were pretty happy about their Candidate Recruitment this Cycle which shows in the 33 House Seats they've gained. They're also somewhat disappointed that they didn't do a bit better in the west. Losing Senate & Governor Elections in Nevada, New Mexico and Arizona, States where a large Hispanic Population they thought could help them out doesn't look good. Back to you!

Thanks Phil! From Washington we go to Oakland, California where our own Jeff Zeleny is standing by. California Senator Kamala Harris overwhelmingly won Reelection with 63% of the Vote last Night. Many Demiocrats are seeing Harris as a potentially Presidential Candidate running for the 2024 Democratic Presidential Nomination. So my Question to you Jeff is: "Did she say anything about 2024 in her Victory Speech last Night?"

Jeff Zeleny, "CNN Correspondent reporting from Oakland, California"

Good early Morning from Oakland, John. It's just after Midnight here in California. No, Senator Harris did not mention anything about 2024 in her Speech tonight. She touted her Bi-Partisanship though declaring that she was the only Senate Democrat to have voted for the 3 Major Legislations passed under President Rubio, the "RubioCare" Health Care Bill, the "Opportunity Act" which she co-sponsored with Arizona Senator Jeff Flake and the "Balanced Budget Amendment" which was sponsored by Senators Bill Haslam & Bob Casey ensuring she can work across the aisle. She also echoed what Phil Mattingly just said that this Night was about the Democratic Establishment. She called on National Democrats to reject the Progressive Agenda that dodged Democrats in 2018 and humilated them in 2020.
Many neutral Political Observers here in California and Nationally saying quote "Not running in 2020 when the Democratic Field was very crowed and when the incumbent President is strongly popular and is strongly favored to win re-election" will work to her benefit in 2024 should she choose to run as the 2024 Field is expected to be that big. The poll of potential Democratic Candidates running for President has pretty much narrowed since 2020. A CNN/ORC National Poll from awhile ago put her in 2nd Place behind now resigned Senator Cory Booker.
Aides close to her saying given that she campaigned for Iowa Democrats (early Caucus State), now Senator-elect Ann-McLane Kuster (New Hampshire is a early Primary State) and Senators-elect Wolf & Cooper (where very likely African Americans made the Difference in Philadelphia & Raleigh/Durham Area) might give some clues what she is thinking. They're also saying she is months away making a Decision. Back to you John!

Thank You Jeff! Allright. We invite you to stay with CNN throughout the Morning & Day for the latest Post-Election Analysis. We'll also be covering President Rubio's Press Conference this Morning.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #1322 on: March 19, 2019, 03:52:41 PM »

Glenn in Colorado is a complete crazy. There is no way he would ever win at a point where Democrats are not getting completely blownout through the nation.
UWS
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1323 on: March 20, 2019, 05:04:20 AM »

Glenn in Colorado is a complete crazy. There is no way he would ever win at a point where Democrats are not getting completely blownout through the nation.

Like I said, it is mostly due to his co-sponsored Fissile Material Cut-Off Material Act of 2021 to advance the denuclearization of North Korea and Iran through the prohibition of fissile material to build nuclear weapons or WMDs and make it official that the United States ratify the Fissile Material Cut-Off Treaty, which is quite a great accomplishment to help a Senator involved in the co-sponsorship of some law to be re-elected. That's why, and I forgot to show it, he won by just 2.
LoneStarDem
United States
« Reply #1324 on: March 20, 2019, 05:59:51 AM »

Election Night 2022, Part 1

Anderson Cooper : Good evening ladies and gentlemen and welcome to CNN's coverage of the 2022 midterm elections. I'm Anderson Cooper and my team and I are now covering a crucial night that will determine the balance of power for the second half of President Rubio's second term. Will the Democrats be able to balance the Senate or will the Republicans be able to keep their supermajority?

It's 7 pm and CNN can now make our first projections in the states of Vermont, Indiana and Kentucky.

7:00 pm

Anderson Cooper : CNN can project that Christine Hallquist, Governor Phil Scott's 2018 Democratic challenger, will be elected to represent Vermont in the U.S. Senate and succeed to retiring Senator Patrick Leahy. Meanwhile, Kentucky Senator Rand Paul is easily re-elected for a third term in the Senate over Democrat Ben Chandler. In Indiana, Senator Todd Young will be re-elected for a second term, defeating his Democratic opponent Indianapolis Mayor Bart Peterson.

Vermont Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
Christine Hallquist : 60 %
Bruce Lisman : 36 %

Kentucky Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
Rand Paul : 59 %
Ben Chandler : 38 %

Indiana Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
Todd Young : 57 %
Bart Peterson : 40 %

7:30 pm

Anderson Cooper : Right now, it is 7:30 pm and we can project that in South Carolina, the home state of Vice-President Haley, Senator Tim Scott will be re-elected for a second full term, crushing his Democratic challenger Vic Rawl. Both the Senate and gubernatorial races in Georgia are too close to call between Johnny Isakson at the senate level and between Brian Kemp and John Barrow. In Ohio, the senate race is too close to call, but incumbent Senator Rob Portman is in the lead, the same for Governor Mary Taylor in the gubernatorial race. In New Hampshire, Democrat Ann-McLane Kuster is narrowly ahead of Senator Kelly Ayotte but Governor Chris Sununu seems to be cruising to victory with a 8 percentage point lead.

South Carolina Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
Tim Scott : 62 %
Vic Rawl : 36 %

Georgia Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
Johnny Isakson : 48 %
Bill Nelson : 43 %

Georgia Governor - 1 % of the vote reported
Brian Kemp : 47 %
John Barrow : 41 %

Ohio Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
Rob Portman : 49 %
Richard Cordray : 45 %

Ohio Governor - 1 % of the vote reported
Mary Taylor : 47 %
Michael B. Coleman : 44 %

New Hampshire Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
Ann-McLane Kuster : 51 %
Kelly Ayotte : 49 %

New Hampshire Governor - 1 % of the vote reported
Chris Sununu : 48 %
Joyce Craig : 40 %

8:00 pm

Anderson Cooper : Now we can reveal the 8 pm projections. In President Rubio's home state of Florida, the Republicans have the edge. Senator Carlos Lopez-Cantera is ahead by single digits over Representative Darren Soto and Governor Putnam has a 9 percentage point lead over Miami Beach Mayor Philip Levine. They seem to be benefiting from the fact that Florida is President Rubio's home state. In Pennsylvania, Governor Tom Wolf is leading Pat Toomey by 4 points. Meanwhile, the race for Governor is too close to call between Congressmen Charlie Dent and Connor Lamb. In North Carolina, it's a dead heat between Pat McCrory and Roy Cooper. In Alabama, Republican Luther Strange unsurprisingly wins Richard Shelby's senate seat.

Florida Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
Carlos Lopez-Cantera : 49 %
Darren Soto : 41 %

Florida Governor - 1 % of the vote reported
Adam Putnam : 47 %
Philip Levine : 40 %

Pennsylvania Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
Pat Toomey : 48 %

Pennsylvania Governor - 1 % of the vote reported
Charlie Dent : 46 %
Connor Lamb : 46 %

Alabama Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
Luther Strange : 60 %

8:30 pm

Anderson Cooper : Now is 8:30 pm. In Illinois, we can project that former First Lady Michelle Obama is leading by double digits over Mark Kirk. Illinois Governor Chris Kennedy is re-elected thanks to a 17 percentage point lead. In Missouri, Roy Blunt is enjoying a strong lead over Democrat State Auditor Nicole Galloway thanks to his strong performance in the Springfield area. Arkansas Senator John Boozman won re-election, as expected, beating former Lieutenant Governor Bill Halter.

Illinois Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
Michelle Obama : 52 %

Illinois Governor - 1 % of the vote reported
Chris Kennedy : 57 %
Adam Andrzejewski : 40 %

Missouri Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
Roy Blunt : 49 %
Nicole Galloway : 40 %

Arkansas Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
John Boozman : 60 %

9:00 pm

Anderson Cooper : At 9 pm, we have a wave of projections. In Illinois, Michelle Obama is elected to the U.S. Senate, marking the first Democratic gain of the night. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer is unsurprisingly re-elected for a 5th term in the state of New York. In Massachusetts, Attorney General Maura Healey is reported to be elected as the state's next Governor. Senator Richard Blumenthal will be re-elected over David M. Walker. In the state of New Jersey, Sheila Oliver will be re-elected in the special election necessitated by Cory Booker's resignation due to allegations of agression on a gay man. In Maryland, we can project that Rep. John Sarbanes is elected Governor while Chris Van Hollen will be re-elected in the Senate. We can also project that Senator Johnny Isakson will defeat Stacey Abrams and win re-election for a 4th term. In Florida, we can report that both Senator Cantera-Lopez and Governor Putnam will be re-elected. Louisiana Senator John Kennedy easily wins re-election, the same for Texas Governor Gregg Abott. Senators James Lankford and Jerry Moran will easily win their senate races in their respective states of Oklahoma and Kansas. For both senatorial and gubernatorial races in the state of Wisconsin, it is too close to call.

Illinois Senate - 25 % of the vote reported
Michelle Obama : 55 %

New York Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
Chuck Schumer : 67 %
Richard L. Hanna : 31 %

New Jersey Senate Special - 1 % of the vote reported
Sheila Oliver : 55 %
Jack Ciattarelli : 42 %

Massachusetts Governor - 1 % of the vote reported
Maura Healey : 58 %
Karyn Polito : 39 %

Connecticut Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
Richard Blumenthal : 60 %
David M. Walker : 36 %

Maryland Governor - 1 % of the vote reported
John Sarbanes : 56 %
David R. Craig : 44 %

Maryland Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
Chris Van Hollen : 60 %
Bob Ehrlich : 40 %

Georgia Senate - 75 % of the vote reported
Johnny Isakson : 53 %
Stacey Abrams : 46 %

Florida Senate - 75 % of the vote reported
Carlos Lopez-Cantera : 52 %
Darren Soto : 45 %

Florida Governor - 75 % of the vote reported
Adam Putnam : 51 %
Philip Levine : 44 %

Louisiana Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
John Kennedy : 60 %
Darren Soto : 37 %

Texas Governor - 1 % of the vote reported
Gregg Abott : 56 %
Andrew White : 43 %

Wisconsin Senate - 1 % of the vote reported
Ron Kind : 49 %[/color]
Scott Walker : 41 %

Wisconsin Governor - 1 % of the vote reported
Reince Priebus : 48 %
Tony Evers : 42 %[/color]

Anderson Cooper : Now we can project, as expected, that the Republicans will keep control of the Senate as they now have won 53 seats thus far. This was expected due to their supermajority. But the question is will they be able to maintain this position in the senate.

REPUBLICANS TO HOLD MAJORITY IN THE U.S. SENATE

Republicans : 53 seats
Democrats : 28 seats

9:30 pm

Steve King : Now is 9:30 pm and we can project that Ann-McLane Kuster will win the senate race in New Hampshire while Chris Sununu wins a fourth term as Governor of New Hampshire. Gretchen Whitmer will win the governorship in Michigan. In the state of Ohio, we can project that Rob Portman will be re-elected for a third term and Mary Taylor wins re-election for a second term as Governor. Unsurprisingly, in the Dakotas, both John Hoeven and John Thune will win re-election by overwhelming margins.

New Hampshire Senate - 100 % of the vote reported
Ann-McLane Kuster : 52 %
Kelly Ayotte : 47 %

New Hampshire Governor - 100 % of the vote reported
Chris Sununu : 53 %
Joyce Craig : 44 %

Michigan Governor - 75 % of the vote reported
Gretchen Whitmer : 54 %
Bill Schuette : 45 %

Ohio Senate - 100 % of the vote reported
Rob Portman : 52 %
Richard Cordray : 46 %

Ohio Governor - 100 % of the vote reported
Mary Taylor : 51 %
Michael B. Coleman : 46 %

10:00 pm
Anderson Cooper : Now is 10 pm and we can Tim Walz wins the gubernatorial race in Minnesota. In North Carolina, Roy Cooper defeats Pat McCrory in the senate race. Ron Kind will win the senate race in Wisconsin against Scott Walker, though Reince Priebus wins the gubernatorial race to succeed Walker by double digits. Tom Wolf is elected to the U.S. Senate in Pennsylvania while Charlie Dent is elected Governor of Pennsylvania. In Connecticut, Governor Tony Hwang narrowly wins re-election thanks to his ability to appeal among independents and to his moderate stance on issues like environment and abortion. In Iowa, we can see that Pat Grassley is in good shape to succeed his grandfather Chuck Grassley in the Senate in this state that considerably shifted to the right in the last few years.

Minnesota Governor - 50 % of the vote reported
Tim Walz : 58 %
Jeff Johnson : 39 %

North Carolina Senate - 100 % of the vote reported
Roy Cooper : 50 %
Pat McCrory : 48 %

Wisconsin Senate - 50 % of the vote reported
Ron Kind : 52 %
Scott Walker : 45%

Wisconsin Governor - 100 % of the vote reported
Reince Priebus : 53 %
Tony Evers : 46 %

Pennsylvania Senate - 50 % of the vote reported
Pat Toomey : 46 %

Pennsylvania Governor - 100 % of the vote reported
Charlie Dent : 53 %
Connor Lamb : 47 %

Connecticut Governor - 100 % of the vote reported
Tony Hwang : 50 %
Jim Himes : 49 %

Pat Grassley : 50 %
Dave Loebsack : 41 %

Anderson Cooper : Stay tuned, ladies and gentlemen, we'll be back to the coverage of the 2022 midterm elections after the commercial break.
I'm assuming Abbott won 20% of the African American against White.
Pages: 1 ... 48 49 50 51 52 [53] 54 55 56 57 58 ... 62  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies