A long ways off into the future, but still...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:40:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  A long ways off into the future, but still...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you think our first LGBTQ President would be a liberal, a moderate, or a conservative?
Liberal

Moderate

Conservative

Democratic Party

Republican Party

Independent

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 57

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: A long ways off into the future, but still...  (Read 3587 times)
progressive85
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 21, 2017, 10:26:03 AM »

I think it could happen... in like 2080 or around that point.  By then, gay marriage would have been legal in every state for at least 65 years.  I imagine there'd be a lot less stigma, more acceptance, more openly LGBTQ politicians in the state legislatures, maybe a few governors... but if a lesbian, gay man, bisexual, or transgender person were to become POTUS, what would be their ideology and party?  (I'd say of course liberal Democrat, but who really knows?  It could be a "conservative", whatever "conservative" means in 2080.)
Jeppe
Bosse
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -4.00

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 10:31:12 AM »

Probably a liberal lesbian being elected in the 2030's or the 2040's, somebody like Tammy Baldwin or Kathleen Wynne from Canada.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2017, 11:48:07 AM »

After Obama, I doubt it will be an "only Nixon" style cross over candidate.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2017, 10:09:41 PM »

I'm going to go out on a limb and say moderate Republican during the Northern Strategy phase.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 09:22:47 PM »

Buttigieg is a Democrat, and he seems to lean liberal (though moderate on some issues).
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2017, 03:55:43 PM »

Moderate-to-liberal.  Elected in the 2040s.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2017, 02:52:51 PM »

I'm going to go out on a limb and say moderate Republican during the Northern Strategy phase.

This is by far the most likely scenario.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2017, 01:12:10 AM »

People in the 1980s probably thought America would never have a black president.

With regards to the question at hand, I'd say it would be no doubt be a liberal Dem.

The problem is, who will it be? Also can this person win in this country's environment?
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2017, 12:47:03 PM »

People in the 1980s probably thought America would never have a black president.

With regards to the question at hand, I'd say it would be no doubt be a liberal Dem.

The problem is, who will it be? Also can this person win in this country's environment?

Problem is, Black people make up about 14% of the total population. LGBT people make up at most 2%. So the odds are way lower. Also, there's likely not going to be a presidency 60+ years down the line.

You are unforunately right about that. Plus the qualified field for LGBT politicians is much low. The only one that could be qualified to run would be Kate Brown or Oregon. Annise Parker would've been up there had she decided to hold another political office after leaving the mayor's office in Houston.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2017, 06:59:50 PM »

Problem is, Black people make up about 14% of the total population. LGBT people make up at most 2%. So the odds are way lower. Also, there's likely not going to be a presidency 60+ years down the line.
5-10% of the population is gay/bisexual.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2017, 09:34:16 PM »

Problem is, Black people make up about 14% of the total population. LGBT people make up at most 2%. So the odds are way lower.

The problem is (this can go on forever ...) that nobody knows exactly how many people are LGBT since there are many people who will never admit that they are LGBT, even to themselves.

Williams Institute says that a little less than 4% of the U.S. population self-identify as LGBT, and less than 10% have said that they ever had a same-sex encounter or have felt any attraction to the same sex.

https://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/research/census-lgbt-demographics-studies/how-many-people-are-lesbian-gay-bisexual-and-transgender/
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2017, 09:11:10 AM »

It's less than 5 %. And there will not be one ever. End of story.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2017, 11:47:59 AM »

Why do you say that?
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2017, 08:02:29 PM »

It's less than 5 %. And there will not be one ever. End of story.
Yes there will.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 11:01:22 PM »

"Third Way" corporatist like HRC

Moderate Democrat.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2017, 11:34:34 AM »

Historically, an inordinate amount of famous people have been LGB if they are 2% of the population. As views change, people will be more open to the idea, so even this inordinate amount would increase.

To be clear: I am not saying you are right. I am simply saying if you are right.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2017, 12:54:35 AM »

Historically, an inordinate amount of famous people have been LGB if they are 2% of the population. As views change, people will be more open to the idea, so even this inordinate amount would increase.

To be clear: I am not saying you are right. I am simply saying if you are right.

Famous people being defined as?

Persons known about by many people.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2017, 08:44:28 PM »

Famous people being defined as?

A few I can think of are...

Neil Patrick Harris
Ellen DeGeneres
Jim Parsons
Ellen Page
Jason Collins
Anderson Cooper
Harvey Levin
Nate Silver
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »