Marine Le Pen refuses to wear headscarf for meeting with Lebanon's Grand Mufti (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:04:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Marine Le Pen refuses to wear headscarf for meeting with Lebanon's Grand Mufti (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Marine Le Pen refuses to wear headscarf for meeting with Lebanon's Grand Mufti  (Read 1769 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« on: February 21, 2017, 02:39:35 PM »

what a cheap shot and she even got all the headlines she wanted.

would a saudi woman, who stand her ground and wore her - illegal - niqab in some western countries, get the same buzz?

If she wishes to do so then I would support her just as I support Le Pen's choice here, but I think it is worth noting that in some Muslim countries women don't actually have the right to appear in public without the appropriate covering. It's an important detail that many of the people trying to appropriate the hijab as a feminist symbol don't realize.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2017, 09:32:55 PM »

what a cheap shot and she even got all the headlines she wanted.

would a saudi woman, who stand her ground and wore her - illegal - niqab in some western countries, get the same buzz?

If she wishes to do so then I would support her just as I support Le Pen's choice here, but I think it is worth noting that in some Muslim countries women don't actually have the right to appear in public without the appropriate covering. It's an important detail that many of the people trying to appropriate the hijab as a feminist symbol don't realize.

It's also an important detail that the hijab was used as a symbol of solidarity between women during the Iranian Revolution. Everything has its own context.

Used by the supporters of the revolution? Given that it was a religious conservative movement, that actually doesn't surprise me at all. Indeed, context is critically important here.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies