Are religions that use military power instead of moral authority and persuasion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:36:24 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Are religions that use military power instead of moral authority and persuasion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Are religions that use military power instead of moral authority and persuasion  (Read 2192 times)
Greatest I am
Canada
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2017, 04:43:14 PM »

What you call "Gnostic Christianity" is just your very own theological views and I don't think the reflect the views of many self-called Gnostic Christians

You have canvased us Gnostic Christians have you?

Link me up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJ1PDxeUynA

We all create our own view of God. That is what Jesus taught us to do. Write his laws in our hearts. Gnostic Christians just do not idol worship their God nor let him subvert our freedom to think. Unlike sheeple.

Tell me where in the bible Jesus teaches Christians to be homophobic and misogynous the way Christianity has ended up being?

Regards
DL
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -1.65

« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2017, 06:29:33 PM »

Shouldn't Gnostics be just as disgusted by homosexuality as they are by heterosexuality?
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2017, 07:13:52 PM »

Yes. They've all been dead for well over a thousand years.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2017, 07:20:25 PM »

Shouldn't Gnostics be just as disgusted by homosexuality as they are by heterosexuality?

What a strange thing to say.

What ever gave you the idea that we were disgusted by heterosexuals?

Most of us are just as most in the rank and file are. Why would our own natures disgust us?

We are also not disgusted by gays as they are following their natures just as heterosexuals are.

Regards
DL

Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2017, 07:25:24 PM »

Not so. I think you should refine your research methods. Or at least get some.

We are not mainstream but a good 25% of the world are free thinkers and that is what we are and the numbers are growing daily.

Regards
DL
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2017, 07:47:32 PM »

Most of us are just as most in the rank and file are. Why would our own natures disgust us?

We are also not disgusted by gays as they are following their natures just as heterosexuals are.

Regards
DL

If you don't look down on sexuality, then you aren't a real Gnostic.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2017, 09:12:10 PM »

We are not mainstream but a good 25% of the world are free thinkers and that is what we are and the numbers are growing daily.

Regards
DL

I don't understand the relation between freethinkers and gnostics
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2017, 01:38:30 PM »

I do: there is none. And the Gnostics would have been opposed, of course.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2017, 01:46:11 PM »

My research method is the following: there was once a branch of Christianity that held certain views and this branch is conventionally referred to by historians as Gnostic Christianity. This particular branch of Christianity - about which we know relatively little and of which what we know at all it is by chance (i.e. the discovery of the Nag Hammadi library) - appears to have died out by the 5th Century at the latest. Of course there has been substantial interest in Gnosticism in certain circles since the 19th century but there's no connection between this and the actual (long dead) religion.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2017, 03:25:09 PM »

Regards
DL

I don't know where you are getting such weird ideas.

Link me up.

We embrace our sexuality as that is what keeps the human race from going extinct.

I don't know your drug of choice but switch quickly before you lose all your reasoning ability.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2017, 03:33:30 PM »

Regards
DL

Gnostic Christians are perpetual seekers after God. God as described as the ancients did, which is basically the best rules and laws to live life by.

One of my favorite scholar explains that well.

http://bigthink.com/videos/what-is-god-2-2

Even after apotheosis and finding our inner part of God through Gnosis, we are to set what we learn aside, raise the bar of expectations, and seek anew.

That is what being esoteric ecumenist is all about.

To not do so would, in our view, might mean missing something better and end the evolution of our moral thinking the way that thinking has died in Christianity and Islam and has made them idol worshipers.

All sages that I have read rail against becoming idol worshipers. As you can see from history, that idol worship has contributed quite a bit to our 5,000 year history of war.

Regards
DL
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2017, 03:41:51 PM »

My research method is the following: there was once a branch of Christianity that held certain views and this branch is conventionally referred to by historians as Gnostic Christianity. This particular branch of Christianity - about which we know relatively little and of which what we know at all it is by chance (i.e. the discovery of the Nag Hammadi library) - appears to have died out by the 5th Century at the latest. Of course there has been substantial interest in Gnosticism in certain circles since the 19th century but there's no connection between this and the actual (long dead) religion.

Died out is a strange way to say that the Christians tried and failed to annihilate us.

We are a small group, but never died out as there are still Gnostic Churches in Europe and France.

Regards
DL
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2017, 06:25:54 PM »

Died out is a strange way to say that the Christians tried and failed to annihilate us.

We are a small group, but never died out as there are still Gnostic Churches in Europe and France.

Regards
DL

And the continuity for the past 1500 years? Or is that part of the secret knowledge?; where your believers were for over a millennium.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2017, 10:22:58 PM »

Regards
DL

And the continuity for the past 1500 years? Or is that part of the secret knowledge?; where your believers were for over a millennium.

Check the literature. We have popped up all over the place at all times and never left France and other more Eastern countries.

Regards
DL
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2017, 10:33:22 PM »
« Edited: February 23, 2017, 10:43:27 PM by Alex »

Regards
DL

Check the literature. We have popped up all over the place at all times and never left France and other more Eastern countries.

Regards
DL
What literature? The DA Vinci Code isn't a valid source, and neither is The Holy Blood and the Holy Grail or the Dossiers
The Cathars were a revivalist movement and we know very little about their theology, and we know for certain that as a religious denomination it disappeared by the late early 14th C.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2017, 10:40:50 PM »

Start here and follow your bliss.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnostic_church

Regards
DL

Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2017, 10:54:16 PM »

Ecclesia Gnostica, revivalist. It's even spelled out in the article
Johannite Church, revivalist. It's even spelled out in the article
Ecclesia Gnostica Catholica, revivalist. It's even spelled out in the article

They were all founded by people who claimed to receive a new revelation from God or a very very very weak link to some extinct movement. There are thousands, if not tenths of thousands of these "prophets" with non-gnostic Christianity and in every other religion, why are these three more important or more believable than any other?
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2017, 08:09:35 AM »

Ecclesia Gnostica, revivalist. It's even spelled out in the article
Johannite Church, revivalist. It's even spelled out in the article
Ecclesia Gnostica Catholica, revivalist. It's even spelled out in the article

They were all founded by people who claimed to receive a new revelation from God or a very very very weak link to some extinct movement. There are thousands, if not tenths of thousands of these "prophets" with non-gnostic Christianity and in every other religion, why are these three more important or more believable than any other?

Because they free the mind instead of trying to slave it to a religion.

That is partly why Christianity tried to decimate us.

Churches and governments want sheeple, not people who can think for themselves.

Regards
DL
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2017, 08:22:52 AM »

What? Nothing you say makes any sense at all
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2017, 11:34:18 AM »

Regards
DL

Link me up.

We embrace our sexuality as that is what keeps the human race from going extinct.

I don't know your drug of choice but switch quickly before you lose all your reasoning ability.

Regards
DL

Real Gnostics look down on sexuality, as a base desire that distracts from transcending the material world.

Perhaps your soul has already moved on to the eternal realm, where Gnosticism means something different from what it means here on Earth.
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2017, 01:38:51 PM »

Regards
DL

Link me up.

Regards
DL

Real Gnostics look down on sexuality, as a base desire that distracts from transcending the material world.

Perhaps your soul has already moved on to the eternal realm, where Gnosticism means something different from what it means here on Earth.

I see that you have been reading the lie that Gnostic Christians think the physical world to be shunned.

Does this sound that way to you.

Gnostic Christian Jesus said, "If those who attract you say, 'See, the Kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you.
If they say to you, 'It is under the earth,' then the fish of the sea will precede you.
Rather, the Kingdom of God is inside of you, and it is outside of you.
[Those who] become acquainted with [themselves] will find it; [and when you] become acquainted with yourselves, [you will understand that] it is you who are the sons of the living Father.
But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty."

As you can see from that quote, if we see God's kingdom all around us and inside of us, we cannot think that the world is anything but evolving perfection. Most just don't see it and live in poverty. Let me try to make you see the world the way I do.

Here is a mind exercise. Tell me what you see when you look around. The bestthat can possibly be or an ugly and imperfect world?

Candide.
"It is demonstrable that things cannot be otherwise than as they are; for as all things have been created for some end, they must necessarily be created for the best end.”

That means that we live in the best of all possible worlds, given all the conditions at hand. That is an irrefutable statement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOGEyBeoBGM&feature=player_embedded

Regards
DL
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2017, 01:40:53 PM »

What? Nothing you say makes any sense at all

I think the problem is at your end.

What is it about slaved to a religion as compared to free thinking that you do not understand?

Regards
DL
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2017, 02:03:14 PM »

So I see that you are literally resorting to overt pseudohistory. I would probably give more credence to some fruitloop drivelling on about the Knights Templar...
Mopsus
MOPolitico
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2017, 02:27:58 PM »

Regards
DL

Link me up.

Regards
DL

I see that you have been reading the lie that Gnostic Christians think the physical world to be shunned.

Does this sound that way to you.

Gnostic Christian Jesus said, "If those who attract you say, 'See, the Kingdom is in the sky,' then the birds of the sky will precede you.
If they say to you, 'It is under the earth,' then the fish of the sea will precede you.
Rather, the Kingdom of God is inside of you, and it is outside of you.
[Those who] become acquainted with [themselves] will find it; [and when you] become acquainted with yourselves, [you will understand that] it is you who are the sons of the living Father.
But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty."

As you can see from that quote, if we see God's kingdom all around us and inside of us, we cannot think that the world is anything but evolving perfection. Most just don't see it and live in poverty. Let me try to make you see the world the way I do.

Here is a mind exercise. Tell me what you see when you look around. The bestthat can possibly be or an ugly and imperfect world?

Candide.
"It is demonstrable that things cannot be otherwise than as they are; for as all things have been created for some end, they must necessarily be created for the best end.”

That means that we live in the best of all possible worlds, given all the conditions at hand. That is an irrefutable statement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOGEyBeoBGM&feature=player_embedded

Regards
DL

That's not the point of Gnosticism, and that's not the point of Candide.

Nice song btw
Greatest I am
Canada
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2017, 04:57:08 PM »

[

That's not the point of Gnosticism, and that's not the point of Candide.

Nice song btw

Denial is hardly a worthy argument on an irrefutable quote.

Regards
DL
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies