Sen. Santorum Will Not Run for President (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:39:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Sen. Santorum Will Not Run for President (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sen. Santorum Will Not Run for President  (Read 20390 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« on: July 25, 2005, 07:33:41 PM »

He wants to be President and everyone knows it. He might change his mind but if he plans to stick to this pledge, look for him to run in 2012 (if the Dems win in '08) or 2016.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2005, 07:42:53 PM »

Why are liberals rejoicing over him not running? I thought you wanted it so you could crush him?

While I am obviously very saddened by this news, it gives me more strength to work to see him re-elected to the Senate.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2005, 07:54:05 PM »

He wants to be President and everyone knows it. He might change his mind but if he plans to stick to this pledge, look for him to run in 2012 (if the Dems win in '08) or 2016.

...or more likely, santorum may be selling insurance in 2012 or 16.

If he wins in 2006, all the idiots on this forum that got on my case will never hear the end. He pulled off upsets before when the Dems thought they finished him off. He can do it again.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2005, 08:05:25 PM »

...or more likely, santorum may be selling insurance in 2012 or 16.

If he wins in 2006, all the idiots on this forum that got on my case will never hear the end. He pulled off upsets before when the Dems thought they finished him off. He can do it again.
Idiots? That's rather unneccessary and adds nothing to the debate.

And what you did added nothing to the debate either.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2005, 08:13:16 PM »

but i dont think he will ever be president.

Unfortunatley, that looks to be the case now.

The point about never letting people hear the end of a Santorum victory (if it happens) is because they have so much hate for the man and I despise seeing them act the way they do.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2005, 08:24:05 PM »

Then you really don't know the situation. He wants to be President. For people that follow this, it is more surprising than you think.

I'm sure we haven't heard the last from that "idiot."

I don't think we've heard the last from you either.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2005, 10:02:16 PM »

Then you really don't know the situation. He wants to be President. For people that follow this, it is more surprising than you think.

Not surprising for 2008. Once we learned he would face Casey, and thus a tough re-election battle, it would be unrealistic to expect him to jump to Presidential campaigning the day after he won, which he would have to do.

Wrong. He surivived a tough race in '92 (when Dems thought they finished him off) and ran for Senate two years later. He could have run in '08 and many expected him to.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2005, 12:27:39 AM »

If he beats Casey he still would have a shot at the Veep slot.

McCain/Santorum, for instance.

I was thinking VP, too, but I doubt he'll take it. At this point, I guess he's hoping to run in 2012 (if a Dem gets elected) or in 2016. Eleven years from now he'll only be 58 years old.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2005, 12:35:56 AM »

If he beats Casey he still would have a shot at the Veep slot.

McCain/Santorum, for instance.

I was thinking VP, too, but I doubt he'll take it. At this point, I guess he's hoping to run in 2012 (if a Dem gets elected) or in 2016. Eleven years from now he'll only be 58 years old.

If he loses his re-election bid (which is likely) then he willbasically be stuck

Shut up, hack. Like we haven't gone over that point already. You're so annoying.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2005, 12:42:39 AM »

Someone is being the brainless moron they always are...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2005, 12:51:14 AM »

Your just bitter than more than likley your hero's political career is most likely  over  in less than 16 months

I can have a regular conversation with others about this, Smash. I'm angry because you're an idiot who resorts to nothing but partisan stupidity all the time.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2005, 12:54:14 AM »

Your just bitter than more than likley your hero's political career is most likely  over  in less than 16 months

I can have a regular conversation with others about this, Smash. I'm angry because you're an idiot who resorts to nothing but partisan stupidity all the time.

You were talking about his future if he wins re-election.  Even you have admitted Casey is likely to win the election.  So if we can talk about any future he may have if he wins, why can't we talk about the future he has if he loses (which is more likley to happen than a win)??

Because we already discussed if he loses and you bring it up to throw more partisanship into this? Even after someone brings up the point, you still go after me.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2005, 01:01:23 AM »

You were talking about his future if he wins re-election.  Even you have admitted Casey is likely to win the election.  So if we can talk about any future he may have if he wins, why can't we talk about the future he has if he loses (which is more likley to happen than a win)??

Because we already discussed if he loses and you bring it up to throw more partisanship into this? Even after someone brings up the point, you still go after me.

So because we already discussed it, it has no merit??  Before this latest announcement how many times did we talk about a possible Presidential run if he won??    Anyway my post had nothing to do with you, I just quoted you because you were the last one to post on the subject, if you didn't post there I would have responded to AUH20 anyway

It has no merit when others brought it up the same way you did. We get the point, hack! You don't need to post the same exact thing again. You don't see someone post something about him running, then someone going against that point and then someone going against the point again.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2005, 01:09:59 AM »

Again I'll bring up the point, how often was a possible Presidential run talked about on this board.

But when we talk about that, we talk about the possible campaign. By saying, "Well he might lose so that ends it." we are discussing anything. We just bring it up and it's done. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.

And that has to do with him actually running! Saying he won't run can only mean one thing in a discussion: He's not running. That's it. Nothing to discuss. It was brought up before. Ok. We get it.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2005, 03:50:32 PM »

First of all, even if Santorum loses in 2006, there is an open Senate race (presumably) and an open Governor's race (presumably) in 2010.  Does anyone really think that a man with two victories in statewide races would be impossible to sell as a candidate for either?  His career is not necessarily over.

If Santorum loses next year and Rendell wins, Santorum will be the frontrunner for Governor in 2010. He could run for Senate again but if he's trying to set up for a Presidential run down the road, Governor would be his best bet. He'll have many options. Plus, we also have to remember that Bush might appoint him to some position.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2005, 03:54:26 PM »

Aren't you glad Santorum isn't running?

Funny...  Roll Eyes
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2005, 06:33:55 PM »

I'm halfway through the Hannity and Colmes interview with Santorum from last night (I recorded it) and I'm not convinced that he won't run. He says that a Presidential campaign is "not impossible." He just doesn't "intend to run."

If he wins next year, he's going to be thinking about it. Suddenly, he might "intend" to do something different.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2005, 09:37:36 AM »

No you were just trying to bait Phil into giving a response

Exactly. Those that seek trouble will find it.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2005, 01:37:42 AM »

I told you it's not dead yet...

From grassrootspa.com

Two days after saying he had no intention of running for president in 2008, Republican Sen. Rick Santorum said Wednesday there was a slight possibility he could run after all.

"There's a remote chance that that could change, but that's not my intention," Santorum told The Associated Press between television rounds to promote his new book, "It Takes a Family."

Separately, he said he wanted to "leave this little window open" because he didn't know what might happen between now and the election, according to a story posted on the Philadelphia Inquirer Web site.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2005, 03:11:55 PM »

Santorum will appear on Inside Politics in just a few minutes to discuss his book/possible Presidential run.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2005, 03:24:03 PM »

"The door is shut but not locked."  Basically the same old stuff - He's not doing it at this point (what everyone says) but it's still a possibility.

A few days ago, thinking it was over, George Allen moved up to the number 1 spot on my list for 2008. Santorum is back at the top.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2005, 04:11:26 PM »

Democrats better have a good rebuttal to Santorum's argument about running for the Senate whip (the Thune effect we possibly saw in SD last year).  They really need to talk up Casey (esp. as someone who'll have clout in the Senate), or this will be 2004 redux.

Yep. A Quinnipiac poll showed that 60% of Pennsylvania's feel Santorum's leadership position in the GOP is a good thing for PA. He'll use the point about running for whip to his advantage big time.

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies