What's your accent?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 05, 2024, 04:04:26 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What's your accent?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10
Author Topic: What's your accent?  (Read 14615 times)
Pouring Rain and Blairing Music
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: January 11, 2021, 01:51:21 AM »

Most similar: Fresno, Los Angeles and Glendale

Least Similar: New Orleans, Baton Rouge and Pittsburgh

It’s funny that yours has Pittsburgh. I was thinking that it had been one of my previous “least similar” cities, but I wasn’t positive.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #201 on: January 11, 2021, 09:06:42 AM »

JoeInator
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -4.00

« Reply #202 on: January 11, 2021, 11:39:11 AM »

My most similar cities Worcester, Providence, and Boston which, to be honest, makes a lot of sense considering I grew up/live in Rhode Island.

My least similar cities were Detroit, Toledo, and Columbus because I didn't know there was a name for the night before Halloween and I had never heard of a drive-through liquor store.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #203 on: January 11, 2021, 11:58:26 AM »

My least similar cities were Detroit, Toledo, and Columbus because I didn't know there was a name for the night before Halloween and I had never heard of a drive-through liquor store.

Even though it's apparently a North Jersey thing, as a Marylander with family roots in South Jersey I always heard the night before Halloween called "mischief night". I'd never heard of drive-thru liquor stores until I went to the Outer Banks, where the local chain is called "Brew Thru", and have never seen them since.
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -0.65, S: -1.57

P P P

« Reply #204 on: January 11, 2021, 12:01:09 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2021, 12:11:49 PM by UBI man good »

For me the closer you get to either of the coastlines (pacific or Atlantic) more similar my accent is
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #205 on: January 11, 2021, 01:01:34 PM »

The New York Times also has a quiz for British accents:

I guess those results are probably indicative of my generic middle class Southeastern accent - basically the “default” accent you hear on the TV, but not quite as posh as full-on Received Pronunciation.

Oh interesting, I always get Yonkers/New York on the US quiz because my English is much closer to British English. I figure I speak with basically a generic-but-not-really-placeable South of England accent/dialect when I speak English, but when I did the test I got:

Way off. Your answers didnt fit here at all.

[image]

Which is closest to... what, the South of the Midlands? I guess that's closest to generic Southern with the odd northern/Scottish or mid-atlantic influence.

So I'll go with the original answer. When I speak English, I sound as if I come from the South of England, but with a generic and untraceable accent; When I speak French, I have a mild Swiss, or specifically Geneva accent; and when I speak German, I have a pretty thick French accent. It's only the last one that is really obvious though.

Anecdotally, something I’ve noticed with younger French speakers living here who speak only lightly French-accented English is that they often have a hint of Cockney/‘Estuary English’.

The 'H' and 'Th' sounds in English are typically the hardest sounds for French speakers to reproduce. So I guess it kind of makes sense that it might be the case. If you start going "ff" instead of "th" and using a glottal stop instead of "h" then you sort of start to wind up with a vaguely cockney sounding accent.
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #206 on: January 11, 2021, 08:36:41 PM »

For me the closer you get to either of the coastlines (pacific or Atlantic) more similar my accent is

LOL @ florida
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #207 on: January 11, 2021, 08:58:19 PM »

LOL @ florida
Yk what imma retake this I do not sound like a person from Florida smthn isn’t right
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #208 on: January 11, 2021, 10:11:27 PM »

Took in yet another time:  Jackson, Montgomery & Birmingham

Least similar:  Worcester, Springfield and Minneapolis/St Paul
MR DARK BRANDON
Liam
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #209 on: January 12, 2021, 05:55:38 PM »

Retook it. Actually agree with the results this time

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/upshot/dialect-quiz-map.html?r=80200851040010200j00100200n00004200j21800102090008
vitoNova
United States

« Reply #210 on: January 12, 2021, 05:56:52 PM »

Hoch Englisch.  

Basically, boring "Midwestern" with no discernible accent.  
_.
Abdullah
United States
P P P
« Reply #211 on: January 20, 2021, 01:50:07 PM »

Closest - Pembroke Pines, Miami/Hialeah, Orlando

Farthest - Toledo, Buffalo, Detroit
Statilius the Epicurean
Thersites
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

« Reply #212 on: January 20, 2021, 02:39:07 PM »

UK one is eerily accurate

Technocracy Timmy
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #213 on: January 23, 2021, 06:01:31 PM »

I sound like these guys according to my coworkers from the south and the northeast.
Sopranos Republican
Matt from VT
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.03, S: -8.87

« Reply #214 on: January 23, 2021, 10:13:30 PM »
« Edited: January 23, 2021, 10:19:12 PM by Dark Liberal Out of State Money »

Most Similar: Boston, Worcester, Providence

Least Similar: Little Rock, AR; Lexington, KY; Akron, OH
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #215 on: May 01, 2021, 02:55:17 AM »
« Edited: May 01, 2021, 05:19:14 AM by Geoffrey Howe »

I speak with an RP accent. For the UK quiz (https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/02/15/upshot/british-irish-dialect-quiz.html) I got hotspots on Reading, Cambridge and Tunbridge Wells.

My American map was weird. I am relatively similar to much of New England, but my closest was Rhode Island. Also light yellow for the west coast and strangely Wisconsin. Like other Brits I was oddly similar to Hawaii.

Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #216 on: May 01, 2021, 04:59:27 AM »

I speak with an RP accent. For the UK quiz (https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/02/15/upshot/british-irish-dialect-quiz.html) I got hotspots on Oxford, Cambridge and Tunbridge Wells.

My American map was weird. I am relatively similar to much of New England, but my closest was Rhode Island. Also light yellow for the west coast and strangely Wisconsin. Like other Brits I was oddly similar to Hawaii.

Glad to see another RP-speaker.  Wouldn't want too many ghastly oiks amongst our Brit-posters.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #217 on: May 01, 2021, 05:15:17 AM »

I speak with an RP accent. For the UK quiz (https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/02/15/upshot/british-irish-dialect-quiz.html) I got hotspots on Oxford, Cambridge and Tunbridge Wells.

Glad to see another RP-speaker.  Wouldn't want too many ghastly oiks amongst our Brit-posters.

Who are they?
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #218 on: May 01, 2021, 05:20:36 AM »

Who are they?

Those without RP accents of course.
*Adjusts monocle*
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #219 on: May 01, 2021, 05:24:48 AM »

Who are they?

Those without RP accents of course.
*Adjusts monocle*

À la Jacob Rees-Mogg.

But who are the Brits here without RP accents?
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #220 on: May 01, 2021, 05:41:17 AM »

À la Jacob Rees-Mogg.

I once had a fairly typical English accent, but once you've lived in Fife, where everyone speaks like this for over a decade, it's mellowed into something generically Scottish.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #221 on: May 01, 2021, 05:50:38 AM »
« Edited: May 01, 2021, 05:55:47 AM by Geoffrey Howe »

À la Jacob Rees-Mogg.

I once had a fairly typical English accent, but once you've lived in Fife, where everyone speaks like this for over a decade, it's mellowed into something generically Scottish.

Well that's fair enough. That part of Scotland has quite a soft accent. I suspect Conservatopia was referring to English posters; which is somewhat ironic given his views on Ms Sturgeon. (Also I don't endorse Conservatopia calling people with a different accent 'oiks')
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #222 on: May 01, 2021, 09:28:19 AM »

À la Jacob Rees-Mogg.

Well that's fair enough. That part of Scotland has quite a soft accent. I suspect Conservatopia was referring to English posters; which is somewhat ironic given his views on Ms Sturgeon. (Also I don't endorse Conservatopia calling people with a different accent 'oiks')

Dude it's a joke - I hope nobody would endorse it.  "Ghastly oik" is the sort of thing a posho (RP) would stereotypically say.  Hence the monocle comment too.  I don't actually have any problem with people having different accents nor do I look down on people with provincial accents.

I seem to recall you making a facetious comment about the accent of Devon too (after I called it "pirate accent").  Outrageous and preposterous!! Wink

In fairness it is often difficult to detect sarcasm in text. Smiley
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #223 on: May 01, 2021, 09:38:45 AM »

À la Jacob Rees-Mogg.

Dude it's a joke - I hope nobody would endorse it.  "Ghastly oik" is the sort of thing a posho (RP) would stereotypically say.  Hence the monocle comment too.  I don't actually have any problem with people having different accents nor do I look down on people with provincial accents.

I seem to recall you making a facetious comment about the accent of Devon too (after I called it "pirate accent").  Outrageous and preposterous!! Wink

In fairness it is often difficult to detect sarcasm in text. Smiley

No no of course I don't seriously think you believe that. Just washing my hands of any blame...
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #224 on: May 01, 2021, 09:46:59 AM »

Standard upper middle class accent of course. In other words, I have no accent at all. Thank you.  Angel
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies