The Green Thread: Marijuana in the states (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:25:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Green Thread: Marijuana in the states (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Green Thread: Marijuana in the states  (Read 90701 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: March 25, 2019, 12:21:16 PM »

NJ got cold feet, it seems.

Next year, perhaps?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2019, 09:20:44 AM »

So is anywhere going to have ballot referenda on weed in 2020?

Seems about time for Ohio to take another crack at this, right? I think enough time has passed that it could pass there.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 10:14:53 PM »

Given how much attitudes have shifted, I wouldn't sleep on any of those, even Arkansas. Arkansas has voted for things like Minimum Wage Increases while giving Republican landslides at the same time. Also, it's a state with desperate need to have SOMETHING going for it, and first in the South legalization status would attract some tourism for sure.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 10:21:58 PM »

Did the Ohio State Legislature just accidentally legalize marijuana?

Huffington Post:

"State contortions to legalize hemp in Ohio got so complicated that it now looks like misdemeanor marijuana charges won’t be prosecuted — in effect legalizing pot for the time being.

That’s pretty much the conclusion of legal experts and the state attorney general. Columbus officials have already declared they’re dropping prosecution of pot misdemeanors"

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ohio-marijuana-legal-accident-hemp_n_5d4e689de4b0fd2733f0b7df

Texas did the same thing, although here in Texas, it's up to individual DAs what to do about it. All five of the most populous counties in Texas (Harris Dallas Bexar Tarrant and Travis) have effectively temporarily decriminalized over this legal SNAFU.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2019, 10:01:23 AM »

Looks like we might see a major breakthrough coming through coming from the North-Eastern States (NY, NJ, PA, CT, and Huh)

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/11/10/marijuana-northeast-governors-legal-068229

RI was the other one.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2020, 12:01:53 PM »

Any updates or news here?
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 02:52:10 PM »

Legalization bills have passed committees in New Mexico and New Hampshire.

Hmm... do I need to update my statewide map?

The NM legalization bill passed the State House but died in the State Senate. NM's governor vows to try to pass legalization again in 2021.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 09:09:11 PM »

So recreational marijuana will only be on the ballot in NJ, SD, and AZ, while medicinal will only be there in SD again and MS.

That IS a disappointment. However, NJ and AZ should both be able to pass. If Yes could get 48.7% in AZ in 2016, it can surely break 50% in 2020.

SD I'd be pessimistic about given ND 2 years ago, but who knows?

NJ and SD are both decently sized states, and NJ fully legalizing will really give a kick in the pants to NY and CT.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2020, 01:04:59 PM »

I wonder what the last state to legalize it will be. Idaho?

I'd say Idaho, Iowa, Utah or Wisconsin based on how our state is being run right now.

Eh. I think with Illinois legalized, once Minnesota also legalizes (which shouldn't take too long), WI will be forced to or continue to bleed money from people crossing the border to buy stuff.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2020, 03:05:49 PM »

I hear Montana will officially vote as well.

Yeah, full legalization is gonna be on the ballot in NJ, SD, MT, and AZ.

In addition, Medical Marijuana will be on the ballot in MS and SD (again...SD has BOTH medicinal and recreational on the ballot).

In addition, Oregon has a referendum to legalize medicinal psilocybin and a separate referendum to decriminalize (not legalize) all drugs.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2020, 02:23:29 PM »

Given how close it came in NM last year, and how many of its biggest opponents in the Dem Party lost their primaries, I fully expect NM to legalize marijuana in 2021. Especially now that it has TWO neighbors, AZ and CO, which have legalized.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2021, 04:35:34 PM »

Some news from the Hill that I didn't want to post as its own thread, because the usual suspects will call leftists who disagree with Biden on pot white privileged or whatever:

Although the Biden administration has at least gestured towards reform, toning down the policy against staffers who answer honestly to past marijuana use.

But Biden still hasn't changed his stance, although Schumer is moving forward with the legalization bill anyway.

I have a very hard time seeing Biden actually veto a bill that should receive at least some Republican support. Five Republican senators come from states where pot is legal, plus a handful would vote to let the states regulate it anyway.

Two-thirds of Americans support legalization including 55% of Republicans. There is nothing for either party to gain by opposing it.

Biden wouldn't veto it, but it'll never make it to his desk.

That said, every state that legalizes does change the incentives for its officeholders and it becomes more and more pressure.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2023, 03:08:35 PM »

Signature gatherers fell just short in Ohio, however:
A proposal to legalize adult use of marijuana in Ohio narrowly fell short Tuesday of the signatures it needed to make the fall statewide ballot. Backers will have 10 days, or until Aug. 4, to gather more.

Republican Secretary of State Frank LaRose determined the Coalition to Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol was short by just 679 signatures of the 124,046 signatures required to put the question before voters on Nov. 7.

679 short. Wow. Unamused

A new poll indicates strong support too:
The USA TODAY Network/Suffolk University survey, published on Wednesday, found that about 59 percent of Ohioans support legalizing the possession and sale of cannabis for adults 21 and older. Just 35 percent are opposed.

Democrats were the most supportive of the policy change, at 77 percent, followed by independents, 63 percent of whom are on board. Among Republicans, however, just 40 percent back legalizing cannabis.

There was also majority support among voters in every age group, except for those over 65.

Wait, why are you Sad if they have until August 4th to gather more signatures? If so, that's easily getting to its goal.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2023, 10:41:06 PM »

HUGE NEWS!

HHS official suggests reclassifying marijuana as a Schedule III drug (effectively like any prescription drug) -- CURRENTLY FEDERALLY ILLEGAL AT Schedule I.

Rescheduling marijuana potentially would open up more avenues for research, allow cannabis businesses to bank more freely and openly, and have firms no longer subject to a 40-year-old tax code that disallows credits and deductions from income generated by sales of Schedule I and II substances.

https://www.cnn.com/2023/08/30/health/marijuana-schedule-hhs-dea/index.html

This is BIG on this issue. If this goes through it'll have huge ramifications for states with legal weed and bring the still rather dodgy legal weed industry more into the mainstream in terms of being an ordinary business.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies