The Green Thread: Marijuana in the states (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:26:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Green Thread: Marijuana in the states (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Green Thread: Marijuana in the states  (Read 90703 times)
Mr. Matt
United States

« on: March 26, 2019, 10:20:09 AM »

NJ got cold feet, it seems.

Next year, perhaps?

They can't seem to understand that voters are not going to punish them come election time for legalization. It's like decades of prohibition have left them with cannabis PTSD or something.

Also, shame on this moron for his 1980s-level thinking:

Opposition to the bill came from a number of fronts. Sen. Ron Rice (D-Essex) opposed it on the grounds legalization would unleash a wave of vice on inner city, predominantly minority communities. Madden, a former State Police superintendent, remained opposed over concerns relating to public safety and law enforcement, two legislative sources told POLITICO.

What Rice said there is relatively tame to what he's said other times about what pot would bring to the state:
https://www.nj.com/union/2018/07/sen_rice_concerned_about_legalizing_marijuana_due.html

I would agree that if they just voted yes, it wouldn't hurt them in their next elections (state senate isn't up until 2021 anyway). Hell, it might help get younger people to help GOTV for them next time and certainly help Murphy for the concurrent gubernatorial election. I know my senator was "undecided" (but definitely leaning towards no) so I'm certainly going to take that into account if I decide to not do my yearly canvassing as I've done in the past for her campaign (support the bill, not a partaker of the stuff).
Mr. Matt
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 12:23:53 AM »

NJ's cannabis vote currently at about 2/3 saying YES
https://elections.ap.org/dailykos/results/2020-11-03/state/NJ/race/I/raceid/31679
Mr. Matt
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 02:25:34 PM »

After all this time in NJ (including stupid fights within the legislature and between the legislature and governor):

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies