The Green Thread: Marijuana in the states (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:12:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Green Thread: Marijuana in the states (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Green Thread: Marijuana in the states  (Read 90681 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« on: November 09, 2022, 02:57:36 PM »

I wish we could have a greener map, but I'm grateful for the victories we had last night.

Recreational marijuana is currently partially legal in Minnesota, and will probably be fully legal in the coming session.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2022, 03:31:30 PM »

I wish we could have a greener map, but I'm grateful for the victories we had last night.

Recreational marijuana is currently partially legal in Minnesota, and will probably be fully legal in the coming session.

"Partially legal" in the sense that possession but not sale is legal in Virginia and Vermont?

No, marijuana in plant form is still illegal to possess albeit decriminalized. However edibles are legal to both possess and sell if they meet certain restrictions, 5mg a serving cap, 50mg a package, has to be labeled not for children, can't resemble children's candy and can only be sold to 21+, but if those restrictions are met they can be sold literally anywhere. Record stores, sex shops, mall kiosks, grocery stores, gas stations, movie theaters and coffee shops all sell them and infused drinks.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2022, 03:51:00 PM »

"Partially legal" in the sense that possession but not sale is legal in Virginia and Vermont?

No, marijuana in plant form is still illegal to possess albeit decriminalized. However edibles are legal to both possess and sell if they meet certain restrictions, 5mg a serving cap, 50mg a package, has to be labeled not for children, can't resemble children's candy and can only be sold to 21+, but if those restrictions are met they can be sold literally anywhere. Record stores, sex shops, mall kiosks, grocery stores, gas stations, movie theaters and coffee shops all sell them and infused drinks.

Huh. Well, I made MN regular green since it's legal in all but name and almost certainly will be next year.
Yeah it's kind of funny, I was looking for a CBD drink yesterday (not THC as I don't use that anymore but I needed to calm my Election Day nerves) and the closest place I found one near the DFL campaign HQ was this coffee shop that just had some sitting for sale in a fridge along with cold teas and sparkling water like coffee shops sell...and THC drinks. Just sitting there side by side.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2023, 09:47:26 PM »

Paging BRTD, since in his own admissions over the past couple years, he only likes "Fake Weed".

Regardless like so many States in recent years which have "legalized weed", the question is naturally more a question of "supply and demand", since after all many Oregonians are getting a bit tired, even in "Weed Country" where illegal Grow Ops without permits are buy-passing the Law, contaminating our waterways, simply in order to export their product to many other States, including those which have already legalized Weed.

Grow your own, legally smoke your own, change laws regarding exporting weed to other States, but still not a big fan of illegal grow ops in Oregon, just so BRTD can get High on Legal Herb. :;

Looks like this bill bans synthetic THC analogues. But otherwise it's a pretty good bill.
Actually no, those are already illegal in Minnesota. The THC currently sold in Minnesota is not synthetic, and will still be legal under the bill. One concern is that breweries that sell THC drinks now could have trouble because under the current language they'd have to start a completely different production line for the drinks and their alcohol which would be pretty costly while right now they can use the same line, but that can be amended and fixed.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2023, 12:55:34 PM »

Minnesota is arguably closer to purple than yellow, although it'll be green in a couple weeks anyway.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2023, 02:56:07 PM »

Minnesota House passes bill 71-59: https://www.cbsnews.com/minnesota/news/minnesota-house-passes-recreational-marijuana-bill
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2023, 04:15:59 PM »

Minnesota Senate just passed the bill on a pure party-line vote.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2023, 01:23:39 PM »

Does it now go straight to Walz’s desk and he has made the appropriate assurances
Both bills have to go to a conference committee first to create a reconciled bill and be passed by both chambers again. Then that bill goes to Walz.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2023, 02:42:07 PM »

Does it now go straight to Walz’s desk and he has made the appropriate assurances
Both bills have to go to a conference committee first to create a reconciled bill and be passed by both chambers again. Then that bill goes to Walz.

Hopefully it gets done on time.
No reason it won't, they still got three weeks and there's no amendments or unlimited debate allowed on the next votes.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2023, 10:04:21 AM »

6? I heard 5.
Pat Garofalo (R-Farmington)
Shane Hudella (R-Hastings)
Patty Mueller (R-Austin)
Roger Skraba (R-Ely)
Nolan West (R-Blaine)

Who was the sixth?
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2023, 04:12:51 PM »

Skraba is interesting because he was the Republican State Rep with the narrowest margin of victory. He only won by 15 votes. However he represents a very ancestrally D Obama-Trump district.

So just goes to show that really opposition doesn't play well in any district aside from the most conservative districts.

Of course from his partner district Zeleznikar voted no, and she won by only 33 votes in a far more D seat, and one that's almost certainly a DFL pickup in 2024. Amusingly she possibly only won because the previous D incumbent (who was absolutely ancient, like closer to Diane Feinstein than Biden in age) voted against legalizing marijuana in 2021 and pissed off a lot of the Democrats who also saw her as out of touch with her age and everything. But she would've likely gotten those 33 votes had she voted for weed. Although maybe she's just going to vote like a super-conservative because she's doomed anyway.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2023, 11:45:43 PM »

I live in a state that doesn't even have medical flower (only oils) and sometimes I forget it's illegal. No one cares anymore.

Sadly many do, Wisconsin Republicans like to talk about stopping it coming in from IL but we’re basically surrounded now so nothing they can do.
LOL Rock County decriminalized it making it punishable only by a $1 fine and Dane County obviously doesn't do sh!t about it so you basically have a safe path right there where nothing is done. Kenosha and Racine counties aren't doing much either I hear so there's also a pretty obvious easy path into Milwaukee.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2023, 12:47:57 AM »

I live in a state that doesn't even have medical flower (only oils) and sometimes I forget it's illegal. No one cares anymore.

Sadly many do, Wisconsin Republicans like to talk about stopping it coming in from IL but we’re basically surrounded now so nothing they can do.
LOL Rock County decriminalized it making it punishable only by a $1 fine and Dane County obviously doesn't do sh!t about it so you basically have a safe path right there where nothing is done. Kenosha and Racine counties aren't doing much either I hear so there's also a pretty obvious easy path into Milwaukee.
Even the counties up north barely do anything beyond confiscate and fine. I barely saw any cops either heading in from green bay and heading out from ironwood this week. Perhaps they do random stings when they need to hit their end of the month quota but beyond that its just too many people.  I assume it will be the same when stores open next year in minnesota. Maybe st croix/polk county cops will harrass a few people but most other border counties will do token enforcement.
There's a legal store closer to Fargo and Grand Forks than most of the population in Minnesota (Red Lake Reservation) and by most accounts the police just gave up and aren't doing anything. North Dakota has so much violent crime now that the court system is so clogged up anyway they're pretty much ignoring everything else. Not sure if Wisconsin is the same though.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies