The Green Thread: Marijuana in the states
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:37:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Green Thread: Marijuana in the states
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 23
Author Topic: The Green Thread: Marijuana in the states  (Read 89079 times)
Mr. Matt
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #350 on: February 22, 2021, 02:25:34 PM »

After all this time in NJ (including stupid fights within the legislature and between the legislature and governor):

hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #351 on: February 28, 2021, 10:51:41 AM »

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/02/27/virginia-le

Virginia is state #16 to legalize! Sales are due to start in 2024.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #352 on: February 28, 2021, 07:40:37 PM »
« Edited: February 28, 2021, 07:44:39 PM by Monstro Believed in a Blue Georgia (and a Blue Texas) »

^ For a second, I thought you typed NH instead of NM.

It's honestly amusing how much of a glacial pace the "Live Free or Die" state has been on cannabis, to where there's a good chance they'll last state in the northeast to legalize (Even including Pennsylvania & the Virginias)
hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #353 on: March 25, 2021, 08:53:37 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/25/us/new-york-recreational-marijuana-deal-trnd/index.html New York could be next! Lawmakers have reached a deal for legalization. It was even on the cover of the NY daily news today.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #354 on: March 30, 2021, 07:46:46 PM »

One chamber done. The Assembly is expected to pass the bill tonight.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #355 on: March 30, 2021, 08:43:46 PM »

What is going on in safe Democratic Hawaii? They are the only Pacific state not to legalize and are behind South Dakota of all states.

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #356 on: March 31, 2021, 07:42:35 AM »

Almost legal in NY, just waiting on Cuomo's signature!
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #357 on: March 31, 2021, 08:32:04 PM »

Cuomo signed the bill into law this morning

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/ny-marijuana-legalization-weed_n_606485abc5b6d5b7a694e453
hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #358 on: March 31, 2021, 08:55:42 PM »

I smoked at 4:20 to celebrate.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #359 on: March 31, 2021, 11:01:14 PM »

Seems like it was a much bigger deal when Virginia legalized vs New York. I'm seeing a lot more headlines about Cuomo's book deal than I have NY legalizing pot.

Not to be outdone, it looks like the Governor of New Mexico will be putting pen to paper very soon too.

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/new-mexico-marijuana-legalization-bill-heads-to-governors-desk/
No War, but the War on Christmas
iBizzBee
Junior Chimp

« Reply #360 on: April 07, 2021, 05:10:11 PM »

Virginia legislature speeds up pot legalization to this summer

From 2024, to before the end of this year.

Freedom State.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #361 on: April 07, 2021, 07:30:21 PM »

Seems like only possession and personal cultivation becomes legal this summer, whereas the actual business sales will still start in 2024. It's a freedom move by Northam and better than the previous language that had everything switch over in 2024, but it's still boneheaded and stupid if you ask me. Why exactly do they need nearly 3 years to let businesses start selling cannabis? I don't really get why Virginia lawmakers (re: Democrats) like long deadlines on new policy. They had same-day registration start after 2022, and that was enacted in early 2020. Other states have demonstrated the ability to get both these kinds of policy changes rolling in a year or less, so this is just, like, cautiousness bordering on foot-dragging.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #362 on: April 07, 2021, 07:48:22 PM »

And if I'm reading it right, another freedom move is making towns/counties do a public referendum if they want to prohibit dispensaries from operating in their area. If voters reject the ban, it can't be asked again. If they approve it, it can be repealed only 4 years (or more) later.

I've always loathed the amount of local control given in other legalization measures, especially when legalized via ballot initiative. You end up with counties / towns that vote to legalize but end up with their local governments banning sales of it anyway, because local politicians think their opinion matters more than the majority of their own constituents who voted for it.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #363 on: April 07, 2021, 08:15:06 PM »

So is this where we are now? Among the states where recreational pot has been approved:

I assume none of the referenda passed last year has gone fully into effect yet, or at least no pot shops are currently open.

60% shade = Recreationally legal
50% shade = On track to being recreationally legal
40% shade = Legally ambiguous/Other

Noem and the Atlas poster-turned-killer AG are fighting legalization in SD. VT allows personal ownership/growth but no legal infrastructure for businesses.

DC I wasn't too sure about. The voters legalized it there, but noted fascist non-DCer Andy Harris is blocking it from going into effect.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #364 on: April 08, 2021, 03:52:08 PM »

What is going on in safe Democratic Hawaii? They are the only Pacific state not to legalize and are behind South Dakota of all states.

A bill died in their House this year. Really not sure what's going on there.

At least we just need a sig in NM to make it legal, so not sure what the holdup is there as well.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #365 on: April 09, 2021, 01:13:29 AM »
« Edited: April 09, 2021, 01:20:21 AM by Teflon Joe. »

So is this where we are now? Among the states where recreational pot has been approved:

I assume none of the referenda passed last year has gone fully into effect yet, or at least no pot shops are currently open.

Noem and the Atlas poster-turned-killer AG are fighting legalization in SD. VT allows personal ownership/growth but no legal infrastructure for businesses.

DC I wasn't too sure about. The voters legalized it there, but noted fascist non-DCer Andy Harris is blocking it from going into effect.

A wave of freedom stretching from the Pacific to the heartland.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #366 on: April 09, 2021, 10:53:23 PM »

A bill died in their House this year. Really not sure what's going on there.

At least we just need a sig in NM to make it legal, so not sure what the holdup is there as well.

*ge is staunchly against legalisation. The bill would become law if he simply refused to sign the bill, and there are definitely enough votes to overturn a veto. I wonder whether the legislature just thinks it’s easier to wait until he’s out of office. If the next Governor runs with cannabis reform as a pillar of their election platform, it could end the issue.

Another reason to hate scumbag *ge. Also, please censor slurs on this site. Thank you.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #367 on: April 10, 2021, 01:37:02 PM »

Ige Ige Ige
Kahane's Grave Is A Gender-Neutral Bathroom
theflyingmongoose
Atlas Icon
Norway

Political Matrix
E: 3.41, S: -1.29

P
« Reply #368 on: April 11, 2021, 01:54:03 AM »

Jason Ravnsborg was a atlas user?
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #369 on: April 11, 2021, 02:07:46 AM »

Jason Ravnsborg was a atlas user?

Yup, many years ago. Around 2004-ish.
Lourdes
United States

« Reply #370 on: April 12, 2021, 03:52:58 PM »

icemanj
Rookie
United States

« Reply #371 on: April 13, 2021, 09:06:25 PM »

*Insert pun about the Wild Weed West*

It's legal in Nebraska's Second Congressional District?!
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #372 on: April 17, 2021, 11:58:18 AM »

Some news from the Hill that I didn't want to post as its own thread, because the usual suspects will call leftists who disagree with Biden on pot white privileged or whatever:

Although the Biden administration has at least gestured towards reform, toning down the policy against staffers who answer honestly to past marijuana use.

But Biden still hasn't changed his stance, although Schumer is moving forward with the legalization bill anyway.

I have a very hard time seeing Biden actually veto a bill that should receive at least some Republican support. Five Republican senators come from states where pot is legal, plus a handful would vote to let the states regulate it anyway.

Two-thirds of Americans support legalization including 55% of Republicans. There is nothing for either party to gain by opposing it.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #373 on: April 28, 2021, 04:35:34 PM »

Some news from the Hill that I didn't want to post as its own thread, because the usual suspects will call leftists who disagree with Biden on pot white privileged or whatever:

Although the Biden administration has at least gestured towards reform, toning down the policy against staffers who answer honestly to past marijuana use.

But Biden still hasn't changed his stance, although Schumer is moving forward with the legalization bill anyway.

I have a very hard time seeing Biden actually veto a bill that should receive at least some Republican support. Five Republican senators come from states where pot is legal, plus a handful would vote to let the states regulate it anyway.

Two-thirds of Americans support legalization including 55% of Republicans. There is nothing for either party to gain by opposing it.

Biden wouldn't veto it, but it'll never make it to his desk.

That said, every state that legalizes does change the incentives for its officeholders and it becomes more and more pressure.
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #374 on: April 28, 2021, 08:59:37 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2021, 06:02:55 PM by Monstro Doesn't Say Anything Interesting »

I don't mind waiting for a federal legalization bill. The genie is already out of the bottle and it's only a matter of time.

What should be the #1 priority is a federal banking bill for states that have legalized medicinally and/or recreationally. I find the cash-only aspect to be a more significant point of contention than anything regarding gateway drugs or reefer madness.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies