The Green Thread: Marijuana in the states
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:34:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Green Thread: Marijuana in the states
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 23
Author Topic: The Green Thread: Marijuana in the states  (Read 89101 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: November 18, 2020, 11:02:13 PM »

Virginia governor pushes to legalize marijuana

RICHMOND, Va. (AP) — Gov. Ralph Northam is pushing to legalize marijuana for recreational use in Virginia, which could be the first Southern state to do so.

Northam announced his support for legalization Monday, saying he wants a responsible approach that promotes racial equity and preserves youth safety. The Democratic governor said he is going to propose legislation during next year’s legislative session, a process he said could take up to two years. But he added that he’s certain the drug will eventually be legal for personal use.

“Legalizing marijuana will happen in Virginia,” Northam said.

https://apnews.com/article/ralph-northam-legislation-marijuana-virginia-3369fd0d37a364ce1a79aa8fdc5d34a2

If I remember correctly, one of the differences between Northam and Perriello was whether marijuana should be legalized only medicinally or recreationally, with Northam taking the moderate hero position. A medical marijuana bill passed this year, but there are no dispensaries open and the ones they have planned are very sparse given the size of the state (I think only five or six were planned, and the nearest one in my neck of the woods was planned for the Richmond area.)

Glad to see Northam sees the light on this issue. More Democrats should follow. There's no point in not capitalizing on an issue that enjoys support from broad swaths of the electorate, including a majority of Republicans under 40.
icemanj
Rookie
United States

« Reply #326 on: November 20, 2020, 08:36:59 PM »

The legalization map is getting crazy. Utah is now 3/4 surrounded by legal recreational states. Idaho, where CBD is still illegal, borders 4 legal states. Wyoming borders 3 legal states. New Hampshire is completely surrounded by legal states.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #327 on: November 20, 2020, 08:43:54 PM »

NJ police have a long history of harassing black men at disproportionate levels due to pot possession. I am glad that is over. NY has a similar problem and it needs to act fast to legalize it too.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #328 on: November 22, 2020, 08:20:42 AM »

The legalization map is getting crazy. Utah is now 3/4 surrounded by legal recreational states. Idaho, where CBD is still illegal, borders 4 legal states. Wyoming borders 3 legal states. New Hampshire is completely surrounded by legal states.

They won't legalize for awhile, they'll bitch to the Feds instead because of "all the pot coming through".
icemanj
Rookie
United States

« Reply #329 on: November 22, 2020, 01:28:03 PM »

They won't legalize for awhile, they'll bitch to the Feds instead because of "all the pot coming through".

Oh, I know. Not saying they will.
Lourdes
United States

« Reply #330 on: November 29, 2020, 02:45:06 PM »

Connecticut might pull a New Jersey and just put legalization on the ballot in 2022 if the legislature doesn't pass it.

Connecticut Lawmakers Will Put Marijuana Legalization On The Ballot If Legislature Rejects Bill

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/connecticut-lawmakers-will-put-marijuana-legalization-on-the-ballot-if-legislature-rejects-bill/
hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #331 on: December 04, 2020, 03:16:12 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/04/business/cannabis-more-act-house-vote/index.html -  The house just voted to decriminalize marijuana.  Given how 2020 has been, I don’t have high hopes for it in the Senate. However, there are seven GOP senators from states where it is legal. Any senators interested in running in 2024 might vote strategically for it. So IDK.
The Houstonian
alexk2796
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -0.87

« Reply #332 on: December 08, 2020, 05:18:05 AM »

Just legalize already. Would drive prices down.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #333 on: January 16, 2021, 01:49:48 PM »

I don't have a personal stake in marijuana legalisation (beyond a desire to see incarcerations for frivolous offences decline), but I'm interested in where the legalisation movement goes next.

As far as legislature-based action, there are six Dem trifecta states which have not legalised recreational marijuana:
- New York
- New Mexico
- Delaware
- Rhode Island
- Connecticut
- Virginia

Is there any chance these states move forward with legislation in the 2021-22 session? Or will legislators (and Governors up for re-election in 2022) still view it as a damaging move for their re-election chances?

Or will it just be down to ballot measures again? I know that the scope for further ballot measures is getting smaller, given that many of those states with decent ballot measure laws have already held referenda on the subject.

I appreciate this is far from the priority right now, (given the ongoing health situation) but I was just interested if there has been any further talk. European data law prevents me reading most US newsmedia beyond the NYT and WaPo, so I'm starved of any regional news at the minute.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #334 on: January 16, 2021, 05:58:58 PM »
« Edited: January 18, 2021, 03:00:56 AM by Monstro Believed in a Blue Georgia (and a Blue Texas) »

In New York, Cuomo recently said he'll try to push legalization bills through this year. I'm not sure what the prospects are in the state legislature, but the pressure may have heightened a little due to now bordering 3 legalized states + Canada.

I feel Delaware, Rhode Island & Connecticut are the next states to legalize, but it may take a back seat for a bit due to COVID.

In Virginia, Northam has also recently made strong overtures towards passing legalization. I'm in wait-and-see mode with them until the results of the November elections.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #335 on: January 16, 2021, 06:44:44 PM »

In New York, Cuomo recently said he'll try to push legalization bills through this year. I'm not sure what the prospects are in the state legislature, but the pressure may have heightened a little due to now bordering 3 legalized states + Canada.

I feel Delaware, Rhode Island & Connecticut are the next states to legalize, but it may take a back seat for a bit due to COVID.

I'm also not sure about Virginia, though Northam has also recently made strong overtures towards passing legalization. I think it'll be dependent on how the November elections go.

Thanks!

I'll definitely keep an eye on NY in that case...
icemanj
Rookie
United States

« Reply #336 on: January 17, 2021, 01:52:17 PM »

I don't have a personal stake in marijuana legalisation (beyond a desire to see incarcerations for frivolous offences decline), but I'm interested in where the legalisation movement goes next.

As far as legislature-based action, there are six Dem trifecta states which have not legalised recreational marijuana:
- New York
- New Mexico
- Delaware
- Rhode Island
- Connecticut
- Virginia

Is there any chance these states move forward with legislation in the 2021-22 session? Or will legislators (and Governors up for re-election in 2022) still view it as a damaging move for their re-election chances?

Or will it just be down to ballot measures again? I know that the scope for further ballot measures is getting smaller, given that many of those states with decent ballot measure laws have already held referenda on the subject.

I appreciate this is far from the priority right now, (given the ongoing health situation) but I was just interested if there has been any further talk. European data law prevents me reading most US newsmedia beyond the NYT and WaPo, so I'm starved of any regional news at the minute.

I think NY and NM are the most likely possibilities this year, although I've heard the Governors/House speakers in all of the above states say it's a priority.

Here's a good article summarizing them: https://www.marijuanamoment.net/these-states-are-the-most-likely-to-legalize-marijuana-in-2021/
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #337 on: January 17, 2021, 02:23:58 PM »

- New York
- New Mexico
- Delaware
- Rhode Island
- Connecticut
- Virginia

I think NY and NM are the most likely possibilities this year, although I've heard the Governors/House speakers in all of the above states say it's a priority.

Here's a good article summarizing them: https://www.marijuanamoment.net/these-states-are-the-most-likely-to-legalize-marijuana-in-2021/

Thanks, that was an interesting read - maybe a little optimistic in places, but a really nice breakdown of the current landscape, and the current word from state officials on the matter.

NY and NM definitely make a lot of sense as the next two states to move ahead. Politically, a lot of State Reps/Senators in those states are likely to be bolstered, rather than hurt by action on legalisation, and their governors both seem keen to be able to run on their legalisation efforts in '22.

Also, both make a lot of sense geographically. Given the way things are moving out west, it feels like an inevitability in NM now, giving their increasingly being boxed in by states like AZ and CO that have legalised. And in NY, enforcement will presumably get much harder now, given legalisation in NJ and much of New England. On a similar note, once NY legalises recreational use, I imagine it will force the hand of CT and RI.
hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #338 on: January 19, 2021, 05:15:20 PM »

- New York
- New Mexico
- Delaware
- Rhode Island
- Connecticut
- Virginia

Thanks, that was an interesting read - maybe a little optimistic in places, but a really nice breakdown of the current landscape, and the current word from state officials on the matter.

NY and NM definitely make a lot of sense as the next two states to move ahead. Politically, a lot of State Reps/Senators in those states are likely to be bolstered, rather than hurt by action on legalisation, and their governors both seem keen to be able to run on their legalisation efforts in '22.

Also, both make a lot of sense geographically. Given the way things are moving out west, it feels like an inevitability in NM now, giving their increasingly being boxed in by states like AZ and CO that have legalised. And in NY, enforcement will presumably get much harder now, given legalisation in NJ and much of New England. On a similar note, once NY legalises recreational use, I imagine it will force the hand of CT and RI.

CT Gov Lamont wants legalization, and the new State House Speaker estimates that the chance of passage in 2021 are 50-50; if it doesn't pass, then it would be on the ballot in 2022. https://www.marijuanamoment.net/connecticut-governor-renews-pledge-to-pursue-marijuana-legalization-in-2021-state-of-the-state-speech/

Rhode Island probably won't be this year. If Raimondo gets confirmed to be Secretary of Commerce, her Lt. Governor McKee is against legalization. https://www.marijuanamoment.net/bidens-commerce-secretary-pick-wants-marijuana-sold-in-government-run-stores/
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #339 on: January 22, 2021, 01:00:03 AM »

- New York
- New Mexico
- Delaware
- Rhode Island
- Connecticut
- Virginia

IIRC, a lone ancient conservadem in the NM Senate who was the pivotal vote in holding up legalization (maybe in committee) was beat in a primary this year by a young progressive. Decent sign of hope.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #340 on: January 29, 2021, 06:30:38 AM »

Noem has launched a lawsuit, supported by executive action, to try and get the referendum on legalization overturned...

South Dakota Republican Gov. Kristi Noem issued an executive order that indicated she is behind the effort to overturn voter-approved recreational cannabis legalization and that she has the right to challenge legalization as part of her duty to defend the state’s constitution.

The two-page executive order issued Friday noted that she instructed South Dakota Highway Patrol Superintendent Col. Rick Miller to initiate the lawsuit in November.
https://mjbizdaily.com/south-dakota-governor-defends-suit-to-overturn-recreational-cannabis-legalization/

PIERRE – South Dakota voters created an unconstitutional super agency that would be a fourth branch of government when they voted to legalize small amounts of recreational marijuana, a lawyer challenging the vote argued Wednesday.

Amendment A conveyed broad powers to the South Dakota Department of Revenue to regulate and tax marijuana, lawyer Lisa Prostrollo told Circuit Court Judge Christina Klinger.

The amendment had so much power that it usurped powers delegated by the South Dakota Constitution to the Legislative, Judicial and Executive branches of government, Prostrollo said.

“This amendment will have a significant impact on our state, on our constitution and our system of government,” Prostrollo said. “That’s why we have initiated this lawsuit.”
https://eu.argusleader.com/story/news/2021/01/27/south-dakota-legal-marijuana-amendment-comes-under-fire-pierre-courtroom/4286599001/
icemanj
Rookie
United States

« Reply #341 on: February 03, 2021, 09:53:11 PM »

Virginia may actually beat NM and NY to the punch.

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/virginia-marijuana-legalization-bills-cleared-for-full-senate-and-house-votes-this-week/
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #342 on: February 05, 2021, 05:15:50 PM »
« Edited: February 05, 2021, 06:04:59 PM by Monstro Believed in a Blue Georgia (and a Blue Texas) »

It won't go into effect until 2023/2024. But this would make Virginia the 16th state to legalize recreational marijuana, the first Southern state to legalize & the third state to legalize via legislature (Along with Illinois & Vermont).

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/virginia-house-approves-marijuana-legalization-bill-with-senate-vote-coming-soon/
icemanj
Rookie
United States

« Reply #343 on: February 07, 2021, 04:33:07 PM »

Where does it say that?
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #344 on: February 07, 2021, 04:43:09 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2021, 03:26:26 AM by Monstro Believed in a Blue Georgia (and a Blue Texas) »

Sorry, the Marijuana Moment link doesn't include it. Here's from a Washington Post article:

He [Northam] proposed a two-year process that would see sales begin in 2023 under the supervision of the state’s Alcoholic Beverage Control Authority, with retail licenses distributed by a system that ensures participation by people of color. Revenue would be earmarked for education, substance abuse treatment and efforts to mitigate the negative effects of how drug laws have been enforced in communities of color.

The versions up for debate Friday in the House and Senate are slightly different from the legislation that lawmakers originally proposed under Northam’s guidance. Both call for creating a state agency to oversee the industry, and both build in an extra year to get that bureaucracy up and running. Retail sales would begin in 2024.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/virginia-marijuana-legalization/2021/02/04/8d6fc33e-6707-11eb-8c64-9595888caa15_story.html
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #345 on: February 13, 2021, 03:54:56 AM »

Has any state actually implemented legalization? If so, what’s it like living there?
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #346 on: February 13, 2021, 04:33:24 AM »
« Edited: February 13, 2021, 05:38:58 AM by Monstro Believed in a Blue Georgia (and a Blue Texas) »

Has any state actually implemented legalization? If so, what’s it like living there?

You mean among the recently legal states (AZ/IL/MI/MT/VT) or any state? Cause we've had legal sales for the last 3 years, CO & WA for the last 7 years.

At least for California, I feel we've bungled it quite a bit:

- No more than a third of municipalities allow legal sales; Some regions, such as the South San Jaoquin Valley, have become 'cannabis deserts' where you have to drive quite a ways to buy legal weed. According to WeedMaps, the nearest dispensary to Bakersfield is 70 miles way. Until last year, I had to drive 20 miles & a county over to buy legally (Even though my county & city voted for legal weed).

- High sales taxes which vary greatly by city and/or county. The state tacks on a 27% cannabis tax + 8% general sales tax + whatever the city/county taxes. What's listed as $25 can end up being $40 when taxes are included.

- Incredibly slow process of business licenses being approved; Leading to little social equity, chains who got in early (Such as MedMen) comprising a significant portion of the legal market & smaller landowners being in financial/legal limbo for the last 2-4 years.

All those problems have led to a black market that hasn't shrunk since Prop 64, county raids of illegal grows to "protect the medicinal recreational market" & lighter-than-expected tax revenue. Basically, little seems to have changed since legalization went into effect.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #347 on: February 13, 2021, 05:03:18 PM »

You mean among the recently legal states (AZ/IL/MI/MT/VT) or any state? Cause we've had legal sales for the last 3 years, CO & WA for the last 7 years.

At least for California, I feel we've bungled it quite a bit:

- No more than a third of municipalities allow legal sales; Some regions, such as the South San Jaoquin Valley, have become 'cannabis deserts' where you have to drive quite a ways to buy legal weed. According to WeedMaps, the nearest dispensary to Bakersfield is 70 miles way. Until last year, I had to drive 20 miles & a county over to buy legally (Even though my county & city voted for legal weed).

- High sales taxes which vary greatly by city and/or county. The state tacks on a 27% cannabis tax + 8% general sales tax + whatever the city/county taxes. What's listed as $25 can end up being $40 when taxes are included.

- Incredibly slow process of business licenses being approved; Leading to little social equity, chains who got in early (Such as MedMen) comprising a significant portion of the legal market & smaller landowners being in financial/legal limbo for the last 2-4 years.

All those problems have led to a black market that hasn't shrunk since Prop 64, county raids of illegal grows to "protect the medicinal recreational market" & lighter-than-expected tax revenue. Basically, little seems to have changed since legalization went into effect.
Are there any states that you think have handled it well?
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #348 on: February 14, 2021, 04:51:48 AM »

Are there any states that you think have handled it well?

Sadly, I'm not as well-informed as I used to be on the state-by-state implementation of legalization (Outside of my own). If NOVA Green stumbles upon this thread, I'd love to hear his thoughts on how the Pacific NW has handled legalization.

Colorado seems to have a decent amount of access statewide, though just as many cities have banned sales as California (Percentage-wise). Nevada seems to adapted quite well which probably shouldn't be a surprise. Though I'm not sure any state has handled the social equity aspect of pot businesses well at all (If anyone can share otherwise, please let me know).

Depending on the upcoming elections, I'm confident in Virginia's ability to improve on prior states' implementation. Comparatively speaking and from what I've been reading, I'm far less confident in New York whenever they decide to legalize.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #349 on: February 15, 2021, 07:36:47 AM »
« Edited: February 15, 2021, 07:40:57 AM by Torrain »

Interesting article from the British Medical Journal (one of the most reputable scientific journals, both here and in the international rankings), that lays out a link between cannabis legalisation and decreased opioid deaths in the US:

https://www.bmj.com/company/newsroom/legal-cannabis-stores-linked-to-fewer-opioid-deaths-in-the-united-states/

According to this estimate, an increase from one to two dispensaries in a county was associated with an estimated 17% reduction in all opioid related mortality rates.

This association held for both medical and recreational dispensaries and appeared particularly strong for deaths associated with synthetic opioids other than methadone, with an estimated 21% reduction in mortality rates associated with an increase from one to two dispensaries.  

An increase from two to three dispensaries was associated with a further 8.5% reduction in all opioid related mortality rates.

Also, here's a Politico article, laying out efforts to push medical marijuana through in Nebraska and Idaho, in addition to improving legislation in KS, SC, KY and AL to support the medical program. There's some interesting stuff about Gov. Kelly's work in Kansas in particular.

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/02/12/medical-marijuana-state-laws-468937
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies