The Green Thread: Marijuana in the states
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 06:59:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Green Thread: Marijuana in the states
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 24
Author Topic: The Green Thread: Marijuana in the states  (Read 90039 times)
Lognog
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: June 19, 2020, 07:31:24 PM »

What are the odds this passes?
icemanj
Rookie
United States

« Reply #251 on: June 19, 2020, 08:58:59 PM »

If it makes it on the ballot I bet it passes. A recent poll showed 54-37 in favor, and Medical was voted on back in 2004 and it passed with almost 62%.
hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #252 on: July 06, 2020, 09:28:44 AM »

https://hightimes.com/news/cannabis-activists-in-arizona-and-nebraska-set-to-file-legalization-petitions/

It looks like Arizona will be voting again this fall for full legalization, joining New Jersey and Montana.  Also, Nebraska might vote for medical legalization, depending if they get enough signatures.
Lisa's voting Biden
LCameronAL
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.75, S: -3.83

« Reply #253 on: July 06, 2020, 11:00:19 AM »

I wonder what the last state to legalize it will be. Idaho?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #254 on: July 08, 2020, 12:43:08 PM »

I'd say Idaho, Iowa, Utah or Wisconsin based on how our state is being run right now.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #255 on: July 08, 2020, 01:04:59 PM »

I'd say Idaho, Iowa, Utah or Wisconsin based on how our state is being run right now.

Eh. I think with Illinois legalized, once Minnesota also legalizes (which shouldn't take too long), WI will be forced to or continue to bleed money from people crossing the border to buy stuff.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #256 on: July 08, 2020, 03:38:04 PM »

Eh. I think with Illinois legalized, once Minnesota also legalizes (which shouldn't take too long), WI will be forced to or continue to bleed money from people crossing the border to buy stuff.

I mean, the two men in charge of the legislature don't believe in medical personally so they have said they wont' bring it up. One of them, Robin Vos, will be running for Governor in 2022 for so as long as the current cast stays in power nothing will change.
icemanj
Rookie
United States

« Reply #257 on: July 11, 2020, 01:21:31 PM »

I bet it will be a very conservative state without voter-initiated referendums, like Tennessee, Alabama, or Indiana
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #258 on: July 11, 2020, 08:12:33 PM »
« Edited: July 21, 2020, 07:23:10 PM by Monstro »

I'd put money on Utah and Wyoming. Plus some southern state like Louisiana or Alabama
Panhandle Progressive
politicaljunkie
United States

« Reply #259 on: July 11, 2020, 08:25:54 PM »

Virginia recently decriminalized cannabis. Now, it appears there may be a push to attempt full legalization as early as next month (during an assembly special session). If it doesn't get passed during the special session, it appears likely to be pushed during the next session, early next year.

https://wtop.com/virginia/2020/07/va-lawmaker-looks-to-legalize-marijuana-in-special-session/
hurricanehink
United States

« Reply #260 on: July 14, 2020, 11:23:20 AM »

Virginia recently decriminalized cannabis. Now, it appears there may be a push to attempt full legalization as early as next month (during an assembly special session). If it doesn't get passed during the special session, it appears likely to be pushed during the next session, early next year.

https://wtop.com/virginia/2020/07/va-lawmaker-looks-to-legalize-marijuana-in-special-session/

Virginia, Maryland,  Delaware, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New York, Connecticut, and Rhode Island should all just legalize in the same year so their dispensaries all around the same time, instead of staggering by a few years,  which would likely create a huge amount of people crossing state lines to buy.
Lourdes
United States

« Reply #261 on: July 21, 2020, 12:17:31 PM »

As Arizona looks likely to have marijuana on the ballot in November, a new poll is out:

Interestingly, the poll shows that support is roughly the same regardless of whether the respondent is from an urban, suburban or rural area.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #262 on: July 24, 2020, 10:11:44 AM »

As Arizona looks likely to have marijuana on the ballot in November, a new poll is out:

Interestingly, the poll shows that support is roughly the same regardless of whether the respondent is from an urban, suburban or rural area.

It barely lost last time, almost a slam dunk this time.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #263 on: August 05, 2020, 06:06:36 PM »

It barely lost last time, almost a slam dunk this time.

Historically the no vote picks up a lot of strength in the months and weeks leading up to election day. If the yes vote isn't far ahead of the polls months ahead of time, it'll likely lose.

That said, I just don't see the no vote making up a 30 Point deficit, assuming this isn't some massive outlier.
Lourdes
United States

« Reply #264 on: August 11, 2020, 11:19:25 AM »

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #265 on: August 13, 2020, 02:43:25 PM »

I hear Montana will officially vote as well.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #266 on: August 13, 2020, 03:05:49 PM »

Yeah, full legalization is gonna be on the ballot in NJ, SD, MT, and AZ.

In addition, Medical Marijuana will be on the ballot in MS and SD (again...SD has BOTH medicinal and recreational on the ballot).

In addition, Oregon has a referendum to legalize medicinal psilocybin and a separate referendum to decriminalize (not legalize) all drugs.
Lourdes
United States

« Reply #267 on: August 13, 2020, 03:15:42 PM »
« Edited: August 13, 2020, 03:19:02 PM by Lourdes »

If both Montana and Arizona approve their ballot questions, that will leave Idaho, New Mexico, Hawaii, Wyoming and Utah as the last states in the Western US region without legal marijuana.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #268 on: August 15, 2020, 03:32:52 AM »

Yeah, full legalization is gonna be on the ballot in NJ, SD, MT, and AZ.

In addition, Medical Marijuana will be on the ballot in MS and SD (again...SD has BOTH medicinal and recreational on the ballot).

In addition, Oregon has a referendum to legalize medicinal psilocybin and a separate referendum to decriminalize (not legalize) all drugs.

MJ Legal Recreational should easily pass in NJ. MT, & AZ...

SD might well be another bag of Seedy Mexican Swag, where we get robbed short because just like first legalization initiatives in the '80s in the West, even "tokers" and "midnight smokers" might vote against to maintain illegal market share, combined with Gen Ex "Social Conservatives" who became "experienced" in the late '70s/ '80s and now that they got kids are worried about the "Gateway Drug"...

Regarding OR & Shrooms... this will likely pass by wide margins (Shrooms weren't illegal in OR until sometime in the late '80s)...

Wouldn't be shocked to see OR decriminalize all drugs, and quite frankly thought that LEA has been declining to prosecute many drug related charges for personal possession for some time....
Lognog
United States

« Reply #269 on: August 25, 2020, 02:54:28 PM »

probably not really going to go anywhere. But this is very interesting
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #270 on: August 27, 2020, 10:17:50 PM »

What are the partisan breakdowns of urban, suburban, and rural Arizona? I'd imagine it's not as polarized as some other states.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #271 on: September 17, 2020, 08:59:06 AM »

NE won't be voting on medical marijuana after the Republicans paid a corrupt sheriff to file a complaint as a regular citizen calling it logrolling and more than one issue (trying to legalize and set a market). Rural joke state.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #272 on: September 17, 2020, 10:56:03 AM »

The Monmouth poll in AZ tested the 2020 amendment.
September 11-15
420 registered voters Grin
MoE: 4.8%

"There is a measure on the ballot that would legalize the recreational use of marijuana for adults 21 years of age or older and allow residents to grow up to six marijuana plants for personal use. Marijuana use would be banned in public and a 16 percent tax would be placed
on marijuana sold by licensed establishments. Will you vote for or against this measure?"

For 51%
Against 41%
Will not vote 3%
Don't know 5%

For comparison, here's the other measure they polled:

"Another measure on the ballot would impose a 3.5% surcharge on income tax rates paddy single tax filers making over $250,000 and joint filers making over $500,000. The addition funds will be used to hire and increase salaries of teachers and other school personnel. Will you vote for or against this measure?"

For 66%
Against 21%
Will not vote 1%
Don't know 7%
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #273 on: September 18, 2020, 09:45:21 PM »

The Monmouth poll in AZ tested the 2020 amendment.
September 11-15
420 registered voters Grin
MoE: 4.8%

"There is a measure on the ballot that would legalize the recreational use of marijuana for adults 21 years of age or older and allow residents to grow up to six marijuana plants for personal use. Marijuana use would be banned in public and a 16 percent tax would be placed
on marijuana sold by licensed establishments. Will you vote for or against this measure?"

For 51%
Against 41%
Will not vote 3%
Don't know 5%

For comparison, here's the other measure they polled:

"Another measure on the ballot would impose a 3.5% surcharge on income tax rates paddy single tax filers making over $250,000 and joint filers making over $500,000. The addition funds will be used to hire and increase salaries of teachers and other school personnel. Will you vote for or against this measure?"

For 66%
Against 21%
Will not vote 1%
Don't know 7%

Places like CO and AZ had huge anti tax revolts in 90's. That last ballot measure is stunning.

The revolution lives on.
TiltsAreUnderrated
Junior Chimp

« Reply #274 on: September 21, 2020, 10:46:21 AM »

The D.C. Campaign to Decriminalise Nature has released two FM3 Research nternals on the magic mushroom decriminalisation initiative on the city's ballot this year, although not the full details of the first as it's just there for trends. The August 16-24 figures (polling 620 likely voters at a 4% margin of error) are:

Yes 60% (+9)
No 24% (-3)
Unsure 16% (-6)

The trends are with a "March/April" poll.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 24  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies