The Green Thread: Marijuana in the states
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:31:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  The Green Thread: Marijuana in the states
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 24
Author Topic: The Green Thread: Marijuana in the states  (Read 90541 times)
Lourdes
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #225 on: December 16, 2019, 06:43:36 PM »

We're voting next year.
Babeuf

« Reply #226 on: December 16, 2019, 07:11:21 PM »

It's going to pass easily.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #227 on: December 17, 2019, 01:50:57 PM »

Should have been passed well over a year ago but at least it won't be punted and delayed anymore.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #228 on: December 17, 2019, 05:33:18 PM »

This is actually a smarter legalization decision for D's. Driving up turnout should help with holding all those districts.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #229 on: December 31, 2019, 04:58:12 PM »

Gov. Pritzker issued pardons for 11,000 marijuana convictions the day before cannabis will become legal in Illinois-

MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #230 on: January 06, 2020, 06:29:45 PM »

Don't have time to grab a link currently but marijuana on the ballot in South Dakota for this fall for medical and recreational. 
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #231 on: January 29, 2020, 12:01:53 PM »

Any updates or news here?
icemanj
Rookie
United States

« Reply #232 on: January 29, 2020, 10:42:44 PM »

Legalization bills have passed committees in New Mexico and New Hampshire.
Nova Green Locked Out
Rookie
« Reply #233 on: March 22, 2020, 11:16:29 PM »

Hmm... do I need to update my statewide map?

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #234 on: March 27, 2020, 02:52:10 PM »

Hmm... do I need to update my statewide map?

The NM legalization bill passed the State House but died in the State Senate. NM's governor vows to try to pass legalization again in 2021.
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #235 on: March 31, 2020, 03:10:48 PM »

I believe (and someone can fact check me on this), but I do believe that Anglos in California had the highest % support for Legalization in the State, compared to Black and Latino, and Asian-American voters in Cali....

Now, it could well be that Midwest and Rocky Mountain State Anglo retirees might have different perspectives on the subject....

Generally, based upon what little we know about MJ legalization initiatives in heavily Multi-Ethnic states (Basically data points from California, haven't really checked precinct results from NV), it does appear that for whatever reason Minority voters were less receptive to legalization than Anglos.
Yet people always say that marijuana was banned by racist whites.
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #236 on: May 06, 2020, 05:15:06 PM »

I believe (and someone can fact check me on this), but I do believe that Anglos in California had the highest % support for Legalization in the State, compared to Black and Latino, and Asian-American voters in Cali....

Now, it could well be that Midwest and Rocky Mountain State Anglo retirees might have different perspectives on the subject....

Generally, based upon what little we know about MJ legalization initiatives in heavily Multi-Ethnic states (Basically data points from California, haven't really checked precinct results from NV), it does appear that for whatever reason Minority voters were less receptive to legalization than Anglos.

Totally true and valid point....

Arguably the massive shift in public opinion on legalization has occurred in virtually all communities and regions of the country in recent years, so while on the one hand resistance to MJ legalization earlier on was more strongly opposed in many minority communities than in many Anglo Communities, despite much smaller rates of overall drug consumption than Anglos (including even MJ), this pattern way well have shifted as increasingly it is viewed more as a "criminal justice reform" issue, rather than I want to get high because of entertainment/recreation versus medicinal needs.

IDK.... we probably won't see that many MJ related votes on the ballot this November because of the difficulty collecting signatures in the COVID-19 era....
NOVA Green
Oregon Progressive
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #237 on: May 06, 2020, 05:17:32 PM »

Since I don't believe anybody has posted updates relating to the difficulties getting Marijuana reform initiatives in front of voters in November because of signatures for ballot initiatives in the COVID-19 era...

https://blog.norml.org/2020/04/23/state-of-the-states-2020-ballot-initiative-efforts/

There was an article that I read a few weeks back which talked about this as well, but forgot which news organization posted it.

The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #238 on: May 13, 2020, 09:09:11 PM »

So recreational marijuana will only be on the ballot in NJ, SD, and AZ, while medicinal will only be there in SD again and MS.

That IS a disappointment. However, NJ and AZ should both be able to pass. If Yes could get 48.7% in AZ in 2016, it can surely break 50% in 2020.

SD I'd be pessimistic about given ND 2 years ago, but who knows?

NJ and SD are both decently sized states, and NJ fully legalizing will really give a kick in the pants to NY and CT.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #239 on: May 13, 2020, 09:15:59 PM »

It certainly was. And the price increase from taxes and industrialization that shifts market opportunities from minorities certainly played a factor. Marijuana was de facto legal in California before the proposition passed.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #240 on: May 14, 2020, 06:48:52 AM »

So recreational marijuana will only be on the ballot in NJ, SD, and AZ, while medicinal will only be there in SD again and MS.

That IS a disappointment. However, NJ and AZ should both be able to pass. If Yes could get 48.7% in AZ in 2016, it can surely break 50% in 2020.

NJ and SD are both decently sized states, and NJ fully legalizing will really give a kick in the pants to NY and CT.

Would have been a lot more without the virus. Very hard to collect signatures when you can't meet in person.
icemanj
Rookie
United States

« Reply #241 on: May 15, 2020, 10:11:30 PM »

Montana and Nebraska are resuming signature gathering. I have no idea how feasible either of them are at this point.

https://www.marijuanamoment.net/nebraska-and-montana-marijuana-activists-resume-ballot-signature-gathering-amid-coronavirus/
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #242 on: May 16, 2020, 11:44:47 AM »

I thought it'd be a lot less than that. Felt like the pot movement was slowing to a crawl even before COVID-19
Balsanator03
Rookie

« Reply #243 on: May 29, 2020, 08:19:00 PM »

Marijuana should be kept either decriminalized (but not fully legal) or criminalized depending on the state.

Majority of legislation to decriminalize/legalize marijuana recreationally do not recognized the threat of "modified" marijuana (marijuana with extra substances intending to enhance effects). Put someone high on that behind the wheel and they become a threat.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #244 on: May 29, 2020, 10:44:30 PM »

Marijuana should be kept either decriminalized (but not fully legal) or criminalized depending on the state.

Majority of legislation to decriminalize/legalize marijuana recreationally do not recognized the threat of "modified" marijuana (marijuana with extra substances intending to enhance effects). Put someone high on that behind the wheel and they become a threat.

Totally inevitable of course, it's not like governments could have provided an an alternative alternative to dealers in exchange for regulations nipping their arms race in the bud in the first place.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #245 on: June 01, 2020, 09:05:29 AM »

So, the 21st amendment was a mistake?
Balsanator03
Rookie

« Reply #246 on: June 05, 2020, 07:45:56 PM »

That makes no sense, as it regards alcoholic beverages. Marijuana isn't alcohol.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #247 on: June 05, 2020, 08:35:03 PM »

That makes no sense, as it regards alcoholic beverages. Marijuana isn't alcohol.

Put someone drunk behund a wheel and they are also a threat.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #248 on: June 09, 2020, 07:50:03 AM »

Supposedly Montana is getting close to getting it on the ballot this year despite the COVID setback.
icemanj
Rookie
United States

« Reply #249 on: June 19, 2020, 07:17:43 PM »

Signatures submitted in Montana - https://www.marijuanamoment.net/montana-activists-submit-130000-signatures-for-marijuana-legalization-initiatives-despite-coronavirus-setbacks/
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 15 ... 24  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies