Opinion of billionaires
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:56:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of billionaires
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Poll
Question: ?
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 78

Author Topic: Opinion of billionaires  (Read 5390 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2017, 03:56:00 PM »

I assume if I started a poll saying "opinion of serial killers" you cowards would furiously that it is "unfair" to characterise the serial killing proportion of the populace as HP's?

what about fictional serial killer Dexter Morgan from the Dexter series? Nice guy, FF!
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2017, 04:01:14 PM »

I assume if I started a poll saying "opinion of serial killers" you cowards would furiously that it is "unfair" to characterise the serial killing proportion of the populace as HP's?

what about fictional serial killer Dexter Morgan from the Dexter series? Nice guy, FF!

#NotAllSerialKillers
Since I'm the mad scientist proclaimed by myself
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2017, 04:07:48 PM »

People who hoard billions of dollars - regardless of whether they "earned" their money or not - while the rest of the world starve are undoubtedly horrible people in the literal sense of the term. And no, billionaires do not "provide" jobs. Refer to Comrade Lincoln:

Quote from: Restricted
You must be logged in to read this quote.

Being a billionaire means you hold more then a billion dollars worth of assets and investments. If you liquidate all of your assets to give to charity,

A. in the long run, less money(and therefore help) is able to be donated because the billionaire can't make any more,

B. Yes, billionaires often do create jobs by investing. Stocks, for example, are when businesses sell a "part" of them for the capital they need to expand and hire more people, creating more jobs. Even putting money in a bank gives the bank access to more capital to be able to make more loans; loans that go to things like helping businesses get started or expand(creating jobs)

C. Here are the top 3 income brackets for charitable givings according to this.

Top 3(out of Cool
1. Under $25,000 12.3%
2. $25,000 - $50,000 6.8%
3. Over 2,000,000 5.6%

Billionaires are beaten in average charitable deduction(and thus average charitable giving) by the poorest, who beat out everyone by a huge margin, and people making 25-50 thousand by a narrower amount.

The ranking (with the inference that people making 30,000 are donating 6-10% and the people making 45,000 are donating 3-5%)
1. The poor and struggling
2. The very rich
3. The middle class
4. The kind-of rich
5. The upper middle class

D. The vast majority of people in America give way less then they should. Most of you who voted HP are just as guilty of not giving enough as the people you declare evil.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2017, 04:14:02 PM »

False equivalence, much?  Roll Eyes
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2017, 04:24:07 PM »

False equivalence, much?  Roll Eyes

No, much of the left considers these equal crimes.
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2017, 04:28:24 PM »

HP because any over concentration of power and wealth is bad, and the fact we can let such absurd inequalities exist is indicative of a society that is sick.

Because over rewarding luck (and luck is a major factor in anyone becoming a billionaire), or ruthelessness, or selifishness is harmful to the economy, and yet, because they have so much power, they have managed to peddle this lie about job creation. Jobs get created with or without billionaires, they get created because we need things to get done' and the existence of billionaires merely points that the division of reward between capital and labour is distorted.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2017, 04:31:03 PM »

I refuse to characterize any group as good or bad solely based on their wealth.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2017, 04:36:12 PM »

The group of people who are capable of becoming a billionaire and the group of people who can be reasonably classified as FFs do not overlap.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2017, 04:44:20 PM »

Having lots of money is not remotely comparable to f**king murder. The hatred of "the 1%" on the left is honestly getting kind of scary. Even ignoring the very real risk of this mentality leading to a left-populist doing something designed to screw over rich people that ends up nuking the economy, the ability to casually dehumanize an entire group of people because of a a trait that they have unrelated to who they are as people is disturbing. You're all supposed to be better then this. The left is supposed to be about fighting prejudice, not promoting it.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2017, 04:49:48 PM »

Even ignoring the very real risk of this mentality leading to a left-populist doing something designed to screw over rich people that ends up nuking the economy, the ability to casually dehumanize an entire group of people because of a a trait that they have unrelated to who they are as people is disturbing.

I mean, the first thing you describe is unlikely to mess up the economy so I'd likely support almost all those measures, and the way the leftist thinks to your second point is that being a billionaire is incredibly indicative of who they are, which is where I begin to agree with you.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2017, 04:57:11 PM »

🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2017, 05:12:35 PM »

People who hoard billions of dollars - regardless of whether they "earned" their money or not - while the rest of the world starve are undoubtedly horrible people in the literal sense of the term. And no, billionaires do not "provide" jobs. Refer to Comrade Lincoln:

It's kind of a ridiculous quote, honestly. 
If labor is truly independent of capital, the poor should be able to just work and produce as much wealth as they need, regardless of whether they have any capital to work with.
RaphaelDLG
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2017, 05:15:18 PM »
« Edited: February 07, 2017, 05:17:46 PM by RaphaelDLG »

There's nothing wrong with being successful and working hard and coming with great ideas - in fact, that is a great thing that makes you a great, helpful person, and those people SHOULD get to be rich!

However,

1) rich people should not be able to write investment/taxation/competition/monopoly/prosecutorial laws to hoard/consolidate wealth/evade punishment/make it impossible for other talented, hardworking, entrepreneurial/intelligent poor people to rise up.  We need a country of hard work, competition, innovation, and mobility - not a country where rich skull and bones types continually get richer without doing much but gaming the system/resting on their laurels.

2) people having more money than they could spend in a thousand lifetimes and using it to buy like 80 $20 million dollar yachts or plain hoarding it is SPIRITUALLY PROFANE.

So billionaires as people are not "satanic" - most of the people on this board would behave in similar ways placed in the same situation.  But I think it is fair to generalize that this group of people (even the saintly ones like I said on the first page) are having a net "bad" effect on society.

edit:  grammar
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2017, 05:28:49 PM »

I have no reason to dislike them.  I should note that, while I don't think I know any billionaires, almost everyone I know comes from a very well-off family (not the kind that fly in private jets, but the kind that don't worry about spending $75 per person at a nice dinner every now and then).
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2017, 05:39:24 PM »

Having lots of money is not remotely comparable to f**king murder. The hatred of "the 1%" on the left is honestly getting kind of scary. Even ignoring the very real risk of this mentality leading to a left-populist doing something designed to screw over rich people that ends up nuking the economy, the ability to casually dehumanize an entire group of people because of a a trait that they have unrelated to who they are as people is disturbing. You're all supposed to be better then this. The left is supposed to be about fighting prejudice, not promoting it.

Sorry, I suppose I'm displaying my "not a billionaire privilege".
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2017, 05:49:00 PM »

I have no reason to dislike them.  I should note that, while I don't think I know any billionaires, almost everyone I know comes from a very well-off family (not the kind that fly in private jets, but the kind that don't worry about spending $75 per person at a nice dinner every now and then).

Spending $75/person out of pocket. Geez. Like those places exist for companies to pay for it. Geez...that sounds like something I'd do once a decade.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2017, 05:49:35 PM »

I have no reason to dislike them.  I should note that, while I don't think I know any billionaires, almost everyone I know comes from a very well-off family (not the kind that fly in private jets, but the kind that don't worry about spending $75 per person at a nice dinner every now and then).

Spending $75/person out of pocket. Geez. Like those places exist for companies to pay for it. Geez...that sounds like something I'd do once a decade.
I've eaten at Alinea twice. Cheesy
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2017, 06:05:21 PM »

parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2017, 06:12:36 PM »

75 dollars is considered expensive?

Lol. You foreigners are all so poor.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2017, 06:13:26 PM »

I have no reason to dislike them.  I should note that, while I don't think I know any billionaires, almost everyone I know comes from a very well-off family (not the kind that fly in private jets, but the kind that don't worry about spending $75 per person at a nice dinner every now and then).

I've eaten at Alinea twice. Cheesy

My family will eat reasonably often at places like Ruth's Chris, Flemings, and The Capital Grille (or local steakhouses).  We usually prefer nice steakhouses to gourmet restaurants.  Actually, I wonder if the steakhouse-gourmet restaurant divide is the conservative-liberal divide among people with high earnings.
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2017, 06:26:50 PM »

Sorry, I suppose I'm displaying my "not a billionaire privilege".

Are you serious?! You're justifying the active dehumanization of a group of people with "they're privileged"!? How the f**k does that justify anything. Its not okay to advocate killing all men just because they tend to have privilege.
SATW
SunriseAroundTheWorld
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2017, 06:32:27 PM »

Being a billionaire means you hold more then a billion dollars worth of assets and investments. If you liquidate all of your assets to give to charity,

A. in the long run, less money(and therefore help) is able to be donated because the billionaire can't make any more,

B. Yes, billionaires often do create jobs by investing. Stocks, for example, are when businesses sell a "part" of them for the capital they need to expand and hire more people, creating more jobs. Even putting money in a bank gives the bank access to more capital to be able to make more loans; loans that go to things like helping businesses get started or expand(creating jobs)

Top 3(out of Cool
1. Under $25,000 12.3%
3. Over 2,000,000 5.6%

Billionaires are beaten in average charitable deduction(and thus average charitable giving) by the poorest, who beat out everyone by a huge margin, and people making 25-50 thousand by a narrower amount.

The ranking (with the inference that people making 30,000 are donating 6-10% and the people making 45,000 are donating 3-5%)
2. The very rich
3. The middle class
4. The kind-of rich

D. The vast majority of people in America give way less then they should. Most of you who voted HP are just as guilty of not giving enough as the people you declare evil.

Pretty solid post, Omega Smiley
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2017, 06:51:01 PM »

This poll is stupid
omegascarlet
Junior Chimp

« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2017, 07:12:07 PM »

Top 3(out of Cool
1. Under $25,000 12.3%
3. Over 2,000,000 5.6%

2. The very rich
3. The middle class
4. The kind-of rich

Pretty solid post, Omega Smiley

Thanks Azn
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2017, 08:04:51 PM »

I don't care why you have it but ffs Scarlet change your avatar to something more fitting to your disgusting plutocrat-shilling tendencies (yellow works very well).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies