Serious Q for Republicans (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:52:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Serious Q for Republicans (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Serious Q for Republicans  (Read 6703 times)
blacknwhiterose
Rookie

« on: February 08, 2017, 07:23:16 PM »

As Hispanics assimilate (just like the Irish, Italians, and Jews did), they will become part of the white mainstream (at least the majority of Hispanics who have white skin), so America will never truly be majority-minority (or anywhere close to it).

Yeah but most of those groups assimilated during Plessy v. Ferguson which define race by white and black. Those days are long over. If your talking about Cubans and Puerto Ricans assimilating then your right but they were always white there is not much difference between them and peninsular hispanics. What the op meant was Mestizos who are genetically similar to what we call Native Americans. I doubt they will assimilate because 1 Mexico is right there and 2 most want to retain their Mexican/Mesoamerican identity. They will likely if not already go the way of African Americans were they do not assimilate with American culture but American culture assimilate with them. For example American culture has taken so much from African Americans in fashion, music, cuisine, and vernacular especially for a minority group. So much that they complain about cultural appropriation. That is the future of Hispanics Americans. If your are saying that Hispanics climbing up the economical ladder is somehow equivalent to the assimilation of white people that is not only idiotic but insulting.

I don't know about you, but where I've lived (Wisconsin, Northern Illinois, and Southern California), white-mexican dating/marriage is not uncommon.  Many of their children will dabble in Mexican culture, but many more probably won't even learn Spanish and may just identify as "white" with the census out of convenience.  Some Mexican Americans live on the East Side of L.A., some live in a small town in Iowa, some in the hills of Colorado.  They're already a lot more geographically dispersed than the African-American community has ever been, and consequently have different lifestyles, jobs, and economic interests.  They don't have the memory of slavery/jim crow and a subsequent Civil Rights Bill to put 90% of them on the same side of the political spectrum.  For these reasons, the hispanic vote, even the Mexican-Am vote in particular, is fundamentally different than the black vote, and as a result not monolithic.       
blacknwhiterose
Rookie

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 11:08:20 PM »

A note about Millennials: as one poster (I believe EHarding) pointed out, a lot of white millennials were repelled from the GOP during the Bush years and Iraq.  This generation is in their 30s now, many probably still hold an animosity towards the GOP, though I personally know a few older millennials who've mellowed out and become moderate or even conservative.  My cousin was a This-is-all-Bushes-fault! college lefty in 2004, now she's married with a kid in the burbs and voted for Trump.

Today's Younger 20s Millennials are more racially diverse and some are very passionate leftists (SJWs), some are loud-and-proud conservative nationalists (Alt-Right).  I think social media and the internet radicalized a lot of people.  You have some left-leaning trends since the 2000s and the unpopularity of Bush, but also an overreach of leftism that helped create the Trump phenomenon.  Take for instance the rise of BLM, Milo Yiannapoulos, the Trans-bathrooms debate, all popular/hot (and controversial) topics especially amongst the younger Gen-Yers.  Diversity and political correctness was more of a cool concept to Gen-Xers and older Millennials, now it's a reality to the younger ones, not to mention the emerging Generation Z.

As a whole, I think Millennials have been a more Democratic-friendly generation, although noticeably more and more polarized, with many white millennials becoming more conservative like their parents did as they get older.  Romney's and Trump's performance gap between white millennials and non-white millennials is startling.
blacknwhiterose
Rookie

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 01:13:27 AM »

In any case, I repeat my question: which Republican candidates on a statewide level have actually won the Hispanic vote without winning the liberal elitist vote?

John McCain has won as much as 65% of the hispanic vote in his Arizona Senate campaigns. Not exactly sure if there are that many liberal elitists in Arizona, much less how they feel about Sen. McCain, but the Trumpie populists and the Alt-Right crowd sure do despise him.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies