Serious Q for Republicans
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:37:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Serious Q for Republicans
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: Serious Q for Republicans  (Read 6560 times)
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: February 08, 2017, 09:24:36 PM »

EHarding, you keep mentioning Williamson County, TN as an example of an upper-income place that voted against Trump in the primary and then refer to these types of places as places that will eventually be Democratic strongholds.  Do you really expect Williamson County- which The Daily Caller ranks as the most conservative place in America- to become Democratic territory?

It is certainly what he wants to happen, but it obviously won't.  WWC voters will become Democrats before Williamson County types, easily.

-WWC were always the swing vote. The last time they were more Dem than college-educated Whites was the 1996 presidential election. I think the education gap will only intensify in the coming two decades.
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #76 on: February 08, 2017, 09:25:01 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2017, 09:27:42 PM by ExtremeRepublican »

EHarding, you keep mentioning Williamson County, TN as an example of an upper-income place that voted against Trump in the primary and then refer to these types of places as places that will eventually be Democratic strongholds.  Do you really expect Williamson County- which The Daily Caller ranks as the most conservative place in America- to become Democratic territory?

It is certainly what he wants to happen, but it obviously won't.  WWC voters will become Democrats before Williamson County types, easily.

I agree but what are Williamson types? Genuinely curious.

Williamson County, Tennessee (a wealthy and conservative suburb of Nashville):

-The richest county in America, adjusted for cost of living (and richest in the South, even without an adjustment)
-The biggest homes in America
-Ranked by the Daily Caller as the most conservative county in America

It is the type of place where pure Heritage Foundation policies are extremely popular.  It is the base of Marsha Blackburn's (who is so conservative that she rejects the term "congresswoman" as a politically correct misnomer) support.
Eharding

« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2017, 09:25:48 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2017, 09:28:52 PM by Eharding »

-The richest county in America, adjusted for cost of living (and richest in the South, even without an adjustment)

-Also, most pro-Dole county in Tennessee in 1996, and the only county in TN that went for Rubio in the primary, as well as the one in TN that swung most against the GOP nominee in 2016. One of the few counties in TN to go for Obama over HRC in 2008 and to swing in the direction of Barack Obama in the general that same year.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2017, 09:30:34 PM »

It is the type of place where pure Heritage Foundation policies are extremely popular.  It is the base of Marsha Blackburn's (who is so conservative that she rejects the term "congresswoman" as a politically correct misnomer) support.

Makes sense to me. Yeah I see WWC going Dem before this county.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #79 on: February 08, 2017, 09:35:42 PM »

-WWC were always the swing vote. The last time they were more Dem than college-educated Whites was the 1996 presidential election. I think the education gap will only intensify in the coming two decades.

Because millennials are very Democratic and more have college degrees, not because of a long term shift in how affluent Whites vote.  Really pretty simple: as having a college degree has become less exclusive, that share of the electorate has gotten more Democratic (not to mention a heavily Democratic generation of New Deal folks, VERY few of which had a college degree, ceasing to be part of the electorate).

It is SO far from a sure thing that Trumpism defines the GOP going forward.  It's equally likely this is a fluke.
Eharding

« Reply #80 on: February 08, 2017, 10:04:09 PM »
« Edited: February 08, 2017, 10:05:57 PM by Eharding »

Because millennials are very Democratic and more have college degrees, not because of a long term shift in how affluent Whites vote.  Really pretty simple: as having a college degree has become less exclusive, that share of the electorate has gotten more Democratic (not to mention a heavily Democratic generation of New Deal folks, VERY few of which had a college degree, ceasing to be part of the electorate).

It is SO far from a sure thing that Trumpism defines the GOP going forward.  It's equally likely this is a fluke.

-That's clearly wrong, as the Democratic trend has been largest among postgraduates. Yes; there has been a clear shift in how affluent Whites vote; look at Denver and Chicago suburbs.

John McCain, Bob Dole, Gerald Ford, and Marco Rubio are the Republican Party's past. They are not its future.
Eharding

« Reply #81 on: February 08, 2017, 10:09:01 PM »

Makes sense to me. Yeah I see WWC going Dem before this county.

-You do realize Dana Rohrabacher represents a Clinton district, right?
Eharding

« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2017, 10:23:24 PM »

As Hispanics assimilate (just like the Irish, Italians, and Jews did), they will become part of the white mainstream (at least the majority of Hispanics who have white skin), so America will never truly be majority-minority (or anywhere close to it).

This might have happened... then Trump came alone.  See California over the last 20 years for more on this topic.

-Californian Hispanics are strongly Democrat because California's non-Hispanic Whites are strongly Democrat. California is filled with liberal elitists, including some of the first non-Jewish ones to switch to the Dems.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2017, 10:44:10 PM »

LIBRULLL ELEATS.
Eharding

« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2017, 10:45:33 PM »

As Hispanics assimilate (just like the Irish, Italians, and Jews did), they will become part of the white mainstream (at least the majority of Hispanics who have white skin), so America will never truly be majority-minority (or anywhere close to it).

This might have happened... then Trump came alone.  See California over the last 20 years for more on this topic.

-Californian Hispanics are strongly Democrat because California's non-Hispanic Whites are strongly Democrat. California is filled with liberal elitists, including some of the first non-Jewish ones to switch to the Dems.

Yes and this realization highlights one of the problems to the strategy I see being proferred here a lot... which is... Republicans will have an easier time picking off more white voters than minorities in the future... no... there will always be a solid 30%+ of white voters who will be the Democrats' most loyal constituency based on some ideological reason (abortion, gun control, gay marriage)... also there are certainly sub-groups of white voters (LGBTQ, Jewish, etc.) that will probably continue to staunchly support the Democratic party, ensuring Democrats a consistent share of the white vote.  Make no mistake, if Republicans don't improve with minorities they are going to have a problem going forward.  The fact that Trump won a bunch of swing states by tiny margins does not change that fact.

I hate to continually use Virginia as an example, but this is the future... Republicans maxed out the white vote... the minority population kept growing...  Republicans couldn't counter it and they couldn't improve further among whites in NOVA who are ideologically too liberal to swing over.

-No; the GOP didn't max out the White vote. VA's White vote in 2012 was only slightly more Republican than Indiana's, and far less so than Texas's, Georgia's, or even North Carolina's. The reason Trump lost Virginia was because a bunch of White liberal elitists moved in, attracted by filthy DC lucre. Washington, DC does not exist in every state in the country. In any case, it's still objectively easier for the GOP to win DC elitists (much as I despise them) than it is for them to win minorities. Look at Comstock.

Why do you suppose making gains among Dem minorities (a numerically smaller group nationwide than White Dems) would be any easier for the GOP than making massive gains among White Dems? Trump at least demonstrated one can do the latter, at least, among some types of White Dems. Meanwhile, not a single Republican candidate has ever won the Hispanic vote.
Eharding

« Reply #85 on: February 08, 2017, 10:46:10 PM »

-Yes; see the Kasich-voting towns in Massachusetts. They exist.
Eharding

« Reply #86 on: February 08, 2017, 10:57:07 PM »

The one place where it might be profitable for the GOP to make gains among Hispanics is southern California. This is simply judging from the manner Schwarzenegger won. New Mexico might be another case. There really aren't that many others.
Eharding

« Reply #87 on: February 08, 2017, 11:04:10 PM »

Yes and this realization highlights one of the problems to the strategy I see being proferred here a lot... which is... Republicans will have an easier time picking off more white voters than minorities in the future... no... there will always be a solid 30%+ of white voters who will be the Democrats' most loyal constituency based on some ideological reason (abortion, gun control, gay marriage)... also there are certainly sub-groups of white voters (LGBTQ, Jewish, etc.) that will probably continue to staunchly support the Democratic party, ensuring Democrats a consistent share of the white vote.  Make no mistake, if Republicans don't improve with minorities they are going to have a problem going forward.  The fact that Trump won a bunch of swing states by tiny margins does not change that fact.

I hate to continually use Virginia as an example, but this is the future... Republicans maxed out the white vote... the minority population kept growing...  Republicans couldn't counter it and they couldn't improve further among whites in NOVA who are ideologically too liberal to swing over.

-No; the GOP didn't max out the White vote. VA's White vote in 2012 was only slightly more Republican than Indiana's, and far less so than Texas's, Georgia's, or even North Carolina's. The reason Trump lost Virginia was because a bunch of White liberal elitists moved in, attracted by filthy DC lucre. Washington, DC does not exist in every state in the country. In any case, it's still objectively easier for the GOP to win DC elitists (much as I despise them) than it is for them to win minorities. Look at Comstock.

Why do you suppose making gains among Dem minorities (a numerically smaller group nationwide than White Dems) would be any easier for the GOP than making massive gains among White Dems? Trump at least demonstrated one can do the latter, at least, among some types of White Dems. Meanwhile, not a single Republican candidate has ever won the Hispanic vote.

Comstock's days are obviously numbered.  I'd be surprised if she wins in 2018.

It is not objectively easier for Republicans to win "DC elitists" (i.e., liberals)... they are the ideological base of the democratic party.  Did you see footage of the women's march on washington... it was 2/3 white people.  These are some of the most engaged and energized democratic voters.  The are more ideologically in line with the democratic party as a whole and they tend to be the most pissed off by Republican policies (again, see women's march).

-Which Republican candidates on a statewide level have actually won the Hispanic vote without winning the liberal elitist vote? The big one I can think of is Schwarzenegger 2003.
blacknwhiterose
Rookie

« Reply #88 on: February 08, 2017, 11:08:20 PM »

A note about Millennials: as one poster (I believe EHarding) pointed out, a lot of white millennials were repelled from the GOP during the Bush years and Iraq.  This generation is in their 30s now, many probably still hold an animosity towards the GOP, though I personally know a few older millennials who've mellowed out and become moderate or even conservative.  My cousin was a This-is-all-Bushes-fault! college lefty in 2004, now she's married with a kid in the burbs and voted for Trump.

Today's Younger 20s Millennials are more racially diverse and some are very passionate leftists (SJWs), some are loud-and-proud conservative nationalists (Alt-Right).  I think social media and the internet radicalized a lot of people.  You have some left-leaning trends since the 2000s and the unpopularity of Bush, but also an overreach of leftism that helped create the Trump phenomenon.  Take for instance the rise of BLM, Milo Yiannapoulos, the Trans-bathrooms debate, all popular/hot (and controversial) topics especially amongst the younger Gen-Yers.  Diversity and political correctness was more of a cool concept to Gen-Xers and older Millennials, now it's a reality to the younger ones, not to mention the emerging Generation Z.

As a whole, I think Millennials have been a more Democratic-friendly generation, although noticeably more and more polarized, with many white millennials becoming more conservative like their parents did as they get older.  Romney's and Trump's performance gap between white millennials and non-white millennials is startling.
Eharding

« Reply #89 on: February 08, 2017, 11:30:04 PM »

It is not objectively easier for Republicans to win "DC elitists" (i.e., liberals)... they are the ideological base of the democratic party.  Did you see footage of the women's march on washington... it was 2/3 white people.  These are some of the most engaged and energized democratic voters.  The are more ideologically in line with the democratic party as a whole and they tend to be the most pissed off by Republican policies (again, see women's march).

-Which Republican candidates on a statewide level have actually won the Hispanic vote without winning the liberal elitist vote? The big one I can think of is Schwarzenegger 2003.

WTF?  Do they now let you check off "liberal elitist white" on exit polls?

Barbara Comstock was able to hold on to some of this vote in NOVA but that's largely because she has huge name recognition in the district.  She has worked the district for years.

-OK; areas of a per capita income 50% or more above the national average in which Obama got over 60% of the non-Hispanic-White vote in 2012.
Eharding

« Reply #90 on: February 09, 2017, 12:25:51 AM »

WTF?  Do they now let you check off "liberal elitist white" on exit polls?

Barbara Comstock was able to hold on to some of this vote in NOVA but that's largely because she has huge name recognition in the district.  She has worked the district for years.

-OK; areas of a per capita income 50% or more above the national average in which Obama got over 60% of the non-Hispanic-White vote in 2012.

Ironic that you mention NOVA elitists... I doubt even Fairfax County falls in that category.  Fairfax is maybe 2-1 Democrat but when you factor out the very large minority population it's probably 50/50 among whites.  There are probably very few extremely rich counties where 60% of the white vote went for Obama in 2012.  Even in relatively dem strong counties those margins rely on a coalition with minorities.  For those kinds of numbers you would need to go into urban precincts like Dupont Circle DC.

-Fairfax County did not fall into this category in 2012 (maybe 2016?), but Arlington and Alexandria sure did.
Eharding

« Reply #91 on: February 09, 2017, 12:26:56 AM »

In any case, I repeat my question: which Republican candidates on a statewide level have actually won the Hispanic vote without winning the liberal elitist vote?
blacknwhiterose
Rookie

« Reply #92 on: February 09, 2017, 01:13:27 AM »

In any case, I repeat my question: which Republican candidates on a statewide level have actually won the Hispanic vote without winning the liberal elitist vote?

John McCain has won as much as 65% of the hispanic vote in his Arizona Senate campaigns. Not exactly sure if there are that many liberal elitists in Arizona, much less how they feel about Sen. McCain, but the Trumpie populists and the Alt-Right crowd sure do despise him.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: February 09, 2017, 11:11:31 AM »

The problem with this question is that only one of those demographics exists.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: February 09, 2017, 01:10:56 PM »

John McCain has won as much as 65% of the hispanic vote in his Arizona Senate campaigns. Not exactly sure if there are that many liberal elitists in Arizona, much less how they feel about Sen. McCain, but the Trumpie populists and the Alt-Right crowd sure do despise him. anywhere in the United States, at least not more than conservative elitists.

FTFY. Smiley
Eharding

« Reply #95 on: February 09, 2017, 04:13:00 PM »

I define "Liberal elitists" as "residents of an area with a per capita income 50% or more above the national average in which Obama got over 60% of the non-Hispanic-White vote in 2012".
Eharding

« Reply #96 on: February 09, 2017, 04:14:17 PM »

John McCain has won as much as 65% of the hispanic vote in his Arizona Senate campaigns. Not exactly sure if there are that many liberal elitists in Arizona, much less how they feel about Sen. McCain, but the Trumpie populists and the Alt-Right crowd sure do despise him.

-The closest thing to a "liberal elitist" area in AZ is Coconino County. Did he crack 60% there when he won Hispanics?
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #97 on: February 09, 2017, 04:33:21 PM »

I define "Liberal elitists" as "residents of an area with a per capita income 50% or more above the national average in which Obama got over 60% of the non-Hispanic-White vote in 2012".

Such a broad brush you have there.
Eharding

« Reply #98 on: February 09, 2017, 04:34:31 PM »

Such a broad brush you have there.

-Narrow, you mean. Does not include Fairfax County, as Non-Swing pointed out.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #99 on: February 09, 2017, 05:04:28 PM »

-Narrow, you mean. Does not include Fairfax County, as Non-Swing pointed out.

No, broad. You're just assuming those people in those areas are "liberal elites." You don't know them, so how would you know? What about the residents there that didn't vote for Obama?

If you're going to go trying to define "liberal elites" like that, at least come up with more detailed criteria.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies