The Northern Strategy Explained (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:34:28 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The Northern Strategy Explained (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Northern Strategy Explained  (Read 37645 times)
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« on: February 07, 2017, 08:29:12 PM »

CELTICEmpire, one of the reasons I disagree with you is that by all accounts, the GOP base is far more religious than the voter base of the Democrats.  And even young Republicans are overwhelmingly pro-life (yes, some of the alt-right ones on the Internet aren't, but most on the ground are) despite being more liberal on other social issues.  Furthermore, it's very hard to envision the GOP being the "defenders of secularism" against a Democratic Party that has lurched greatly leftward on social issues, from transgender rights to harsh restrictions on religious liberty (such as SB 1146 in California, of great concern to Evangelicals, especially for its precedent-setting effect).   Interestingly, the rapidly increasing diversity of the Democratic Party hasn't even slowed this progress down at all, despite the relatively higher religiosity of Latinos and blacks.   So while I agree the GOP will secularize, I could never see a plausible situation in which it becomes more hospital to voters who prioritize secularism over the Democratic Party.  Perhaps immigration will change matters, but the simple fact is that the Democratic Party has gotten far less white (and has more 1st-generation immigrants) over the past few decades, and it has gotten more pro-choice and secular, not less.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 12:10:33 AM »

Here's the link regarding young Republicans' beliefs on abortion.  They actually support legal abortion even less than older ones:
http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2014/03/11/young_republicans_are_even_more_likely_than_old_republicans_to_oppose_legal.html

Also, the Hispanic and black congresspeople in majority-minority districts vote almost identically on social issues to other whites.

Honestly, I agree with you that it is possible (though it would be very sad) that the GOP would drop its pro-life plank.  But I do not share your optimism that immigrants would have any potential of moving the country in a more socially conservative direction.  Unlike Evangelicals, who at the very least have their pro-life/religious liberty interests largely represented in both the GOP policy platform and in Congress, socially conservative minority Democrats have no such representation of those beliefs within their party. If the minority representatives of the GOP (both black and Hispanic) actually began to show some distance between the white party elites on abortion and religious freedom, then I suppose it's possible, but unfortunately it does not seem too likely.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies