What would a Catholic version of BRTD be like?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 11:10:20 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What would a Catholic version of BRTD be like?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: What would a Catholic version of BRTD be like?  (Read 3962 times)
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 31, 2017, 09:14:32 PM »

discuss
White Trash
Southern Gothic
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017, 09:45:15 PM »
« Edited: January 31, 2017, 09:50:05 PM by White Trash »

He would REAAAALLLY like Pope Francis and be absolutely insufferable about it.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017, 10:00:30 PM »

"Would you live in a house built before Vatican 2? I wouldn't."

"My King is alive and he sits on his earthly throne in Rome."

"So I've been self-flagellating lately and I had this thought ... "
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 10:08:08 PM »

MY POPE IS ALIVE!!!
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017, 10:08:36 PM »

I highly doubt I'd quote "My King is alive!" since it's from a song by a Christian hardcore band that is like basically all Christian hardcore bands, very Protestant.

(Ironically my absolute favorite one is the only one I've ever found with any type of Catholic influence at all, making some references to saints and in one song mentioning a rosary. The members however are all not Catholic.)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2017, 10:56:21 PM »
« Edited: January 31, 2017, 11:03:39 PM by Crumpets »

During Falklands War:

"Should British programs be banned from US Television? I was triggered on behalf of my Argentinian friends when I saw a Monty Python's Flying Circus rerun on TV yesterday."
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2017, 12:17:35 AM »

Even worse.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2017, 04:59:12 AM »

You can see BRTD being constantly triggered by this for like 12 years.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2017, 06:19:27 AM »

Of course all this assumes that BRTD would indeed be an ALATT Hipster Catholic, which isn't necessarily true at all.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2017, 06:48:52 AM »

very little of his personality is actually based or inspired on "hipster Christianity",
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2017, 08:19:35 AM »

Mass Attendant #654
BCTD     
YaBB God

★★★★★

Re: Opinion of Martin Luther
« on: January 31, 1522 at 12:43:59 am »

F[inks]ing subhuman garbage!

I was triggered on behalf of my German Catholic friends when I saw a Württembergian sausage at the market place yesterday.

Always will be the Holy Father to me:

BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2017, 09:14:07 AM »
« Edited: February 01, 2017, 09:20:03 AM by Voter #652 »

Of course all this assumes that BRTD would indeed be an ALATT Hipster Catholic, which isn't necessarily true at all.

Seeing as how hipster Catholics don't exist and you can't be Catholic and ALATT...
Thunderbird is the word
Zen Lunatic

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 03:33:49 PM »

His name is Rod Dreher, he writes for the American Conservative, and he had a book coming out soon. (I know that Dreher is Orthodox, not Catholic, but a Catholic BRTD would convert to Orthodox Christianity too.)

only if he met a cute Greek-American hipster girl that he wanted to be dommed by.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 03:34:40 PM »

No, real trads would never like a modernist Jesuit like Francis. Death to the dubia!
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 08:30:28 PM »

Seeing as how hipster Catholics don't exist and you can't be Catholic and ALATT...

Dunno what you mean by "hipster", but there are certainly "muh refugees" style young liberal Catholics with "alternative" fashion and lifestyle choices (died hair counts as both) who are so happy to have this new liberal/inclusive Pope. Learn a little about the world around you, Zachary.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 09:19:06 PM »

Probably super into Stubenville conferences and JPII, honestly. He's the right age and those were the hip-ish Catholic things of the era. Pope Francis is more of an "it's complicated" Pope than a super-duper inspiring Pope, for virtually anyone paying attention.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2017, 11:39:36 PM »

Pope Francis is more of an "it's complicated" Pope than a super-duper inspiring Pope, for virtually anyone paying attention.

Oh come on. Whether you like him or not, you can't deny that his supporters are very passionate.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2017, 11:43:07 PM »

Pope Francis is more of an "it's complicated" Pope than a super-duper inspiring Pope, for virtually anyone paying attention.

Oh come on. Whether you like him or not, you can't deny that his supporters are very passionate.

I've encountered far more Catholics vehemently against Pope Francis than vehemently in favor of him.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2017, 12:05:09 AM »

I've encountered far more Catholics vehemently against Pope Francis than vehemently in favor of him.

I'm not saying it is so, but have you considered the possibility that the kind of Catholics you (and TJ) usually encounter are not representative of all Catholics?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2017, 12:14:04 AM »

I'm not saying it is so, but have you considered the possibility that the kind of Catholics you (and TJ) usually encounter are not representative of all Catholics?

I have little doubt that most Catholics have a generally favorable opinion of the Pope (as I do), but if there are large numbers of vehement Pope Francis supporters, I haven't encountered them. On the other hand, I've found plenty who really don't like him in places I wouldn't have expected.

I have heard some conjecture that the vehement anti-Francis mentality is primarily an American phenomenon, though.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2017, 02:10:01 AM »
« Edited: February 02, 2017, 02:14:34 AM by realisticidealist »

I have little doubt that most Catholics have a generally favorable opinion of the Pope (as I do), but if there are large numbers of vehement Pope Francis supporters, I haven't encountered them. On the other hand, I've found plenty who really don't like him in places I wouldn't have expected.

I have heard some conjecture that the vehement anti-Francis mentality is primarily an American phenomenon, though.
Would you support a Communist, yet socially conservative Pope?

You'd have to really get into the weeds about what you mean by "Communist." Communism as an overarching ideology/worldview which makes claims about material reality/historical progression/materialist utopianism/etc. is incompatible with Catholicism, but many of its political tenets are not. If you're just asking whether I'd support a Pope who supports (what are in a secular context) very left-wing economic proposals, then yes, of course.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2017, 02:20:35 AM »

Would you support a Communist, yet socially conservative Pope?

You'd have to really get into the weeds about what you mean by "Communist." Communism as an overarching ideology/worldview which makes claims about material reality/historical progression/materialist utopianism/etc. is incompatible with Catholicism, but many of its political tenets are not. If you're just asking whether I'd support a Pope who supports (what are in a secular context) very left-wing economic proposals, then yes, of course.
What are your thoughts on the theory that the early Christians were basically utopian cultists? I think this theory became popular in the 1970s.

If anything, the case for them being apocalyptic cultists is far stronger, since many interpreted Matthew 24:34 literally and thought the Second Coming was imminent.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2017, 02:56:24 AM »

There's always been a strain of utopian communalism in Christianity, but I'd strongly hesitate on using it as an overarching explanation. It is indeed related to the apocalyptic nature of Christianity; since the end is always viewed as potentially near, being attached to material possessions is pointless, potentially even dangerous (though one must resist the temptation to tip over into Gnosticism and hate the material world outright).

The Didache states:
You must be logged in to read this quote.

There's a clear emphasis in early Christianity on the essential nature of giving and sharing which has waned a bit in emphasis over time. Indeed, two of the most difficult precepts of Christianity to maintain in the modern world are "If any man take thy coat, give him thy shirt also" and "If any man smite thee on the right cheek, turn to him the other cheek also." Christian utopian communalism requires a near complete abnegation of the self, but then again it's hard to read Jesus as calling for much less. This is not to say communalism is a prerequisite, but it's certainly a perfectly valid manifestation of Christian thought.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2017, 03:38:23 AM »

He would find a way to insert Bernie Sanders name into the Chaplet of Divine Mercy.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2017, 09:55:27 AM »

I wonder what music I would listen to.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »