Cuomo proposes putting abortion rights in NY state constitution
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 03:07:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Cuomo proposes putting abortion rights in NY state constitution
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Cuomo proposes putting abortion rights in NY state constitution  (Read 1542 times)
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2017, 05:28:51 PM »

Roe v. Wade was an invention of the Supreme Court, it did not come from the Constitution.

Do you understand what the Supreme Court is?
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2017, 08:50:10 PM »

Yes, I know, but didn't you see what I was responding to?

Anyway, this is great news. The U.S. Constitution already recognizes a right to an abortion with certain restrictions, so the state constitution should as well.

I wanted to make sure we get the nouns right.

I believe that the Constitution does not actually and always mean what the Supreme Court says it does. I have been suspicious of the Court since I was 16, 36 years ago, and I began intensely studying how the Court explains its decisions, and studying books by constitutional law scholars who clearly believe that the Court is not always right, half of my life ago, when I was 26. I believe in the philosophy of original intent. And to paraphrase Judge Robert Bork (from "The Tempting of America"),
There exists among some lawyers and judges a weary cynicism that frequently finds itself expressed in the quotation of words attributed to Chief Justice Charles Evans Hughes, "The Constitution is what the judges say it is." Hughes was hardly the first to have made the point. In 1717, Bishop Hoadly said "Whosoever hath an absolute right to interpret any written or spoken laws, it is he who is truly the lawgiver, to all intents and purposes, and not the one who first wrote or spoke them." These statements are sometimes taken to ratify cynicism. They should not be. Nobody familiar with Hughes' career would suppose he meant that power is all. It is essential to bear in mind the distinction between the reality of judicial power and the legitimacy or morality of the use of that power.
It is a truism, but it is not anything more than a truism, that for all practical purposes, at any given moment the Constitution is what the Justices says it is. Right or wrong, the statute you petitioned your legislature to enact has suddenly become void just because the Justices say it is. But behind that realism lies another fact just as real, and one with normative meaning: there is a historical Constitution that was understood by those who enacted it to have a meaning of its own. That intended meaning has an existence independent of anything judges may say. It is that meaning the Justices
ought to utter. If law is something more than mere naked power, it was that meaning the Justices had a moral duty to pronounce. Hoadly and Hughes, far from reconciling us to cynicism, emphasize the heavy responsibility judges bear. Power alone is not sufficient to produce legitimate authority.

I believe that the Court renders misinterpretations of the Due Process Clause and the Equal Protection Clause of Section 1 of the 14th Amendment more often than any other clauses in the Constitution.
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2017, 09:06:59 PM »

I always love how the governor who told conservatives like me that we have no place in New York preaches "tolerance" when convenient.  Of course, as is true with many "progressives", to Cuomo, "tolerance" is only for those with which he agrees.  

"Tolerance" isn't about ideological diversity. It's about religious, gender, sexual orientation, age, language and racial diversity. We don't give a fraction of a sh**t about tolerance for people who support policies that would endanger the already disadvantaged, we care about being open and welcoming to the disadvantaged.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2017, 09:14:12 PM »

I always love how the governor who told conservatives like me that we have no place in New York preaches "tolerance" when convenient.  Of course, as is true with many "progressives", to Cuomo, "tolerance" is only for those with which he agrees.  

"Tolerance" isn't about ideological diversity. It's about religious, gender, sexual orientation, age, language and racial diversity. We don't give a fraction of a sh**t about tolerance for people who support policies that would endanger the already disadvantaged, we care about being open and welcoming to the disadvantaged.

^Which is why we have President Trump. All political discourse then devolves into a bickering contest about who is the most disadvantaged instead of anything of substance and the totalitarian state is justified as long as it directs its benefits toward the desirables.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies