(Democrats) obstructionism and hypocrisy
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 03:15:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  (Democrats) obstructionism and hypocrisy
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: (Democrats) obstructionism and hypocrisy  (Read 2681 times)
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2017, 02:08:04 PM »

There is a big difference between retaliation and hypocrisy.

This, and if the Democrats are hypocrites, so are the Republicans who whine about obstructionism.

Yes. Thats the point. Democrats spent 8 years saying Republicans were bad for doing X. Now Democrats are doing X. That means either X is ok and Democrats were just being hacks for 8 years or that X really is bad and Democrats are just as bad as the thing they have been criticizing and hating all these years. "Muh but Republicans did it" just makes you Republicans. And this isn't a degree argument this is a process argument. For 8 years it hasn't been "why obstruct this policy. This policy is good and here's why its foolish to obstruct it." So many Dems instead resorted to "obstructionism is bad generally. Not passing laws is not doing their job. Dem Senate + Dem Prez + GOP house means Republicans aren't allowed to shutdown over Obamacare. Its neglecting their job to not vote on Garland. Call a vote. Treasonous Republicans wont hold hearings. Republicans are outrageous for doing this"

Either blind obstructionism is an acceptable policy and Democrats are hypocrites for lying about it for 8 years or blind obstructionism is not an acceptable policy and the Democrats are now the Teabagger terrorists they used to bitch about. But since this is Atlas so you may now rationalize how this is different because "muh right reasons because I personally agree and my buhliefs are objectively right. Im on the Right side of history which makes people who disagree hitler".
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2017, 02:14:53 PM »

Since Klartext89 is German I am going to post a quote from Berholt Brecht in German orginal:

Wenn Unrecht zu Recht wird, wird Widerstand zur Pflicht!
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2017, 02:23:31 PM »

Well of course, there's going to be loads of hypocrosy every time the presidency switches political parties. Democrats will obstruct while Republicans will whine about it, the opposite of just a few years ago.
rainbowsama
United States

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -3.83

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2017, 02:35:31 PM »

Welcome to politics.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2017, 02:42:55 PM »

Democrats are in a pickle, but I think the choice is clear. Obstruct.

Who cares if we look like hypocrites. Republicans set this disgusting precedent, and now they'll have to live with it until both Democrats and Republicans can come together and start compromising again.

Things are going to get really f-ing ugly before they start to get better.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2017, 05:41:55 PM »

Who cares if we look like hypocrites. Republicans set this disgusting precedent, and now they'll have to live with it until both Democrats and Republicans can come together and start compromising again.

I agree. Frankly, the Republicans do not have any right to talk here about the Dems obstructing anything. They already set the example so suck it in, Reps.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2017, 05:46:42 PM »

I agree. Frankly, the Republicans do not have any right to talk here about the Dems obstructing anything. They already set the example so suck it in, Reps.

Just remember this in 8 years when its back to GOP obstruction.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2017, 05:48:57 PM »

Do elaborate.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2017, 05:58:05 PM »

As it turns out, the Democrats have finally learned how the game is properly played.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2017, 06:11:47 PM »

Do elaborate.

The position of senate Democrats is that any nominee but Garland is illegitimate.

The position is senate Republicans is to block Democratic nominees no matter what. They were already releasing plans to block Clinton nominees, proving the election year excuse was a lie.

2 completely different principles they are operating on, so it is absurd to try and compare these actions.
Confused Democrat
reidmill
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2017, 06:35:02 PM »

We will.

It'll be a never-ending cycle until our situation becomes untenable.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2017, 07:33:59 PM »

Republicans have set the standard for how a minority party in the Senate should behave.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2017, 09:11:17 PM »

We will.

That'll be interesting. What happens at that point?
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2017, 09:53:10 PM »

We will.

We all lose.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2017, 10:46:06 PM »

We will.

We all lose.

I don't think we'll all lose. Hopefully at that point both sides will see the folly in being obstructionist -- probably with the help of the citizens of the country through some type of outrage -- and both sides will agree to agree more.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2017, 10:48:51 PM »

We will.

Maybe we all learn to live with each other? Nah, it's just easier to hate those who think differently, and believe that they're a threat to the country.
Vcrew192
Rookie
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2017, 10:53:55 PM »

We will.

We all lose.

I don't think we'll all lose. Hopefully at that point both sides will see the folly in being obstructionist -- probably with the help of the citizens of the country through some type of outrage -- and both sides will agree to agree more.

Wow the delusion in this thread. You guys sound like a heroin addict. "I'll quit after this one last high wears off."

No matter how our current polarization problem ends it will have to be with one side taking a loss. The democrats would have to say "we understand that the GOP robbed our supreme court appointment but in the name of good government we will allow their appointment." or something along those lines. It's gonna sting but that is how lawmakers and (more importantly) voters will have to start thinking. If we continue our current "eye-for-an-eye" policy then we're all going to go blind.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2017, 10:54:57 PM »

As the line goes "How dare they do to us what we did to them!?!"
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2017, 10:56:22 PM »

as some very intelligent people said during the last years, the senate is meant to deliberate and not doing a thing can be preferable to doing it.

Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2017, 11:01:19 PM »

No matter how our current polarization problem ends it will have to be with one side taking a loss. The democrats would have to say "we understand that the GOP robbed our supreme court appointment but in the name of good government we will allow their appointment." or something along those lines. It's gonna sting but that is how lawmakers and (more importantly) voters will have to start thinking. If we continue our current "eye-for-an-eye" policy then we're all going to go blind.

I agree, but when that happens is anyone's guess. You should forgive Democrats if they don't want to be the ones to go first after what Republicans put Obama through. I think it's about time the anti-government party starts showing a little respect for govt and its institutions, instead of making their identity about crushing government into a singularity and obtaining power by any means necessary.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2017, 11:02:34 PM »

I think with all the marches going on about various situations lately, Congress needs to be more careful about obstructing and fighting and playing petty games, and I mean both sides. We the people have been losing our patience with Washington for a long time now. If we can put a buffoon in office as President because we think he will "drain the pollywog pond" then think what we can do to Congress. 
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2017, 11:09:12 PM »

as some very intelligent people said during the last years, the senate is meant to deliberate and not doing a thing can be preferable to doing it.

Who were these 'very intelligent people'?
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2017, 11:11:35 PM »

well-meaning and high-ranking and even more highly educated republican politicans of course and we should follow their lead, since they seem to be close to the people and got praised for their stands.
OneJ
OneJ_
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2017, 11:28:34 PM »

I don't understand how this is hypocrisy. Democrats don't hold too much power in Congress already and Trump is 100% bound to do something crazy.

Under Obama, his main goal was to replace Scalia. That was it. Yet, Republicans decided to b*tch and moan about it and started to block all choices. They wouldn't allow the man to do his job because they couldn't grow a spine. Now they've gonna act all cowardly via not standing up to Trump and vote along with him even when it is bad.

It's best for Democrats to obstruct to show that they have a doggone spine fighting against the Annoying Orange and Company's BS. Especially when it's 100% terrible.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2017, 11:29:16 PM »

well-meaning and high-ranking and even more highly educated republican politicans of course and we should follow their lead, since they seem to be close to the people and got praised for their stands.

Absolutely right.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies