The ban just enacted includes legal US residents
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 02, 2024, 06:57:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  The ban just enacted includes legal US residents
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Author Topic: The ban just enacted includes legal US residents  (Read 4304 times)
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2017, 06:25:53 PM »

Protestors shouting "No Ban, No Registry, F*** White Supremacy" outside of JFK

That probably won't help anything.

What the *** does it hurt? If you want to tssk tssk protesters for using foul language to attack this legitimately bad policy, then you need a wake up call.

I've been critical of this policy pretty much all day. Not sure what your problem is.

It hurts in that the protestors are completely missing the point by injecting racial BS into this.
'What's the big deal? It's only 90 days' isn't critical.  It's excuse making.

Never once said it wasn't a big deal.

It definitely came across that way.

Also, Ben Sasse and Justin Amash have also put out statements opposing the ban. Sasse called it "too broad" and Amash said it was " not lawful"

If these guys aren't careful they're going to get primaried.

-Not sure about Sasse, but there's no way Amash is getting primaried. MI's third went for Lyin' Ted Cruz.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2017, 06:25:59 PM »

And the GOP refuses to disavow the Executive Order because they're too terrified to stand up to Trump. I hope they're all happy with their position in history after this. Banning Muslims from war torn areas is going to be a black stain on our country's soul.

But they sold their soul to Trump for pennies and now they're reaping the paltry rewards.  
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2017, 06:27:16 PM »

Protestors shouting "No Ban, No Registry, F*** White Supremacy" outside of JFK

That probably won't help anything.

What the *** does it hurt? If you want to tssk tssk protesters for using foul language to attack this legitimately bad policy, then you need a wake up call.

I've been critical of this policy pretty much all day. Not sure what your problem is.

It hurts in that the protestors are completely missing the point by injecting racial BS into this.
If that is what your worried about you really need to get a grip.

If you want to turn off potential allies for the sake of moral signalling, be my guest. Doesn't help anyone who can't get home.
I'll go with what MLK said on this subject.  The White Moderate is the one who most stands in the way of progress.  One who detests the use of tactics in fighting for equality is no help to the movement, only a deterrent.
So you are injecting racial bs into this then?

You have a white nationalist problem, at times, yes.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2017, 06:31:31 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2017, 06:34:15 PM by TD »

And the GOP refuses to disavow the Executive Order because they're too terrified to stand up to Trump. I hope they're all happy with their position in history after this. Banning Muslims from war torn areas is going to be a black stain on our country's soul.

But they sold their soul to Trump for pennies and now they're reaping the paltry rewards. 

-No; not impeaching Obama for creating ISIS is a black stain on our country's soul. Banning Muslims is common-sense.

I understand you are a "devoutly pro-Protestant European America," as evidenced by the other thread we were engaging in, where you started screaming about the brown people from Mexico, and have some racial and apparent tolerance issues, and you're deeply scared of the evil Muslims, but let's just be clear that your statement falls short of an IQ of a gerbil. I've explained herein why the Muslim ban is retarded beyond all measure and your belief that Obama created ISIS is a sterling example that you don't understand the concept of how Islamic insurgencies happen.

Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2017, 06:34:17 PM »

-No; not impeaching Obama for creating ISIS is a black stain on our country's soul. Banning Muslims is common-sense.

I understand you are a white nationalist, as evidenced by the other thread we were engaging in, where you started screaming about the brown people from Mexico, and have some racial and apparent tolerance issues, and you're deeply scared of the evil Muslims, but let's just be clear that your statement falls short of an IQ of a gerbil. I've explained herein why the Muslim ban is retarded beyond all measure and your belief that Obama created ISIS is a sterling example that you don't understand the concept of how Islamic insurgencies happen.

Face it, the GOP is dead and has been replaced by the Cult of Trump. When people like f**king Susan Collins won't stand against Trump, who the f**k will?
Eharding

« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2017, 06:56:01 PM »

I understand you are a "devoutly pro-Protestant European America," as evidenced by the other thread we were engaging in, where you started screaming about the brown people from Mexico, and have some racial and apparent tolerance issues, and you're deeply scared of the evil Muslims, but let's just be clear that your statement falls short of an IQ of a gerbil. I've explained herein why the Muslim ban is retarded beyond all measure and your belief that Obama created ISIS is a sterling example that you don't understand the concept of how Islamic insurgencies happen.

-I'm not even Protestant. Japan doesn't have all that many problems, so I'd consider open borders with Japan. I'm not "deeply scared of the evil Muslims", though I do think a Muslim ban is more than justified, one far more expansive than Trump's actual one.

Yes; Trump was right Obama created ISIS, and I know far more about its rise than you think.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2017, 07:21:33 PM »

What happened to anarchist terrorism when the 1924 immigration act was signed into law?

Replaced by acts like the 1927 Bath school bombing in Bath, Michigan?
Eharding

« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2017, 07:23:47 PM »

What happened to anarchist terrorism when the 1924 immigration act was signed into law?

Replaced by acts like the 1927 Bath school bombing in Bath, Michigan?

-Was that really terrorism, though? The guy didn't have much of a cause. More like standard-issue workplace violence.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2017, 07:24:40 PM »

-I'm not even Protestant. Japan doesn't have all that many problems, so I'd consider open borders with Japan. I'm not "deeply scared of the evil Muslims", though I do think a Muslim ban is more than justified, one far more expansive than Trump's actual one.

Yes; Trump was right Obama created ISIS, and I know far more about its rise than you think.

Given you do acknowledge that you want a European-American dominated country, we're not going to see eye to eye on this.

And no, you don't know more about its rise than I think. I know exactly how much you think you know and how much you actually know, and the average comes out to zero.
libertpaulian
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2017, 07:29:00 PM »

Someone posted this on Facebook:

"There is one thing that I'm fairly certain about regarding the Trump presidency: It's going to cure voter apathy for a LONG time."
Eharding

« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2017, 07:29:45 PM »

Given you do acknowledge that you want a European-American dominated country, we're not going to see eye to eye on this.

And no, you don't know more about its rise than I think. I know exactly how much you think you know and how much you actually know, and the average comes out to zero.

-Demonstrate.
The_Doctor
SilentCal1924

« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2017, 07:34:38 PM »

-Demonstrate.

Easy. You haven't denied being a racial nationalist despite me saying it about ten times in three threads and you confirmed it with your "Moving to Mexico" sentiment. That says to me everything about your worldview and how you regard the Muslims and people from other countries. Such a stark worldview is unable to grasp nuance.

Your postings indicate a black and white worldview, which is pretty much the opposite of what is considered essential to understand about winning the war on Radical Islam.

Of course you'll deny and hem and haw, so I don't expect an answer worth responding.
Mr. Reactionary
blackraisin
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.45, S: -3.35

« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2017, 08:01:46 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2017, 08:16:39 PM by Mr. Reactionary »

So, how many laws/ parts of the constitution have been violated through these actions?

Equal protection clause at minimum. This is discriminatory against us citizens on the basis of alienage (us-peruvian citizen vs. Us-iraqi citizen) which means strict scrutiny would apply. While national security is a compelling state interest, I would argue that the law isnt narrowly tailored because it would be easy to carve out our own freakin citizens from the order and that wouldn't undermine the overall scheme. Standing is self evident since us citizens cant enter their own country, conduct business or attend school, pay bills, and face other tangible economic harms. The real issue is red tape. Without an emergency order from a judge, the case would likely be moot by the time of trial due to the shortness of the travel ban. Still, the potential for future abusive travel bans of uncertain lengths would suggest that this issue could be one of those special issues which frequently evade review like abortion (b/c of the 9 month term).

Update: it also may violate 5th Amendment due process. The Supreme Court, in Kent v Dulles recognized that 5th amendment liberty includes the right to travel, including internationally, ("Freedom to travel is, indeed, an important aspect of the citizen's liberty"). From wiki:

"Historically, the cases of refusal of passports generally fell into two categories. First was the question pertinent to the citizenship of the applicant and his allegiance to the United States. Second was the question whether the applicant was participating in illegal conduct, trying to escape the toils of the law, promoting passport frauds, or otherwise engaging in conduct which would violate the laws of the United States. It considered wartime measures, citing Korematsu v. United States, 323 U.S. 214, for the proposition that the government could exclude citizens from their homes and restrict their freedom of movement only on a showing of "the gravest imminent danger to the public safety."
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2017, 08:16:17 PM »

As my ancestry is about 50% from what is now the UK and most of the rest is from either Germany or Switzerland, could I get British, German, or Swiss citizenship?
Fusionmunster

« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2017, 08:16:46 PM »

I don't even need to read it to know that's utter bullcrap.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2017, 08:23:20 PM »

Just wait until how he deals with OCare and the budget over the next few months.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #91 on: January 28, 2017, 08:25:41 PM »

As my ancestry is about 50% from what is now the UK and most of the rest is from either Germany or Switzerland, could I get British, German, or Swiss citizenship?

Take a breath, it really isnt that bad. This will get thrown out as unconstitutional.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #92 on: January 28, 2017, 08:27:10 PM »

Just wait until how he deals with OCare and the budget over the next few months.

Both of which require congressional approval. Trump is not a king. Most of his executive orders mean little.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #93 on: January 28, 2017, 08:28:35 PM »
« Edited: January 28, 2017, 08:36:57 PM by Blue3 »

Mo Farah -- resident of Portland, Oregon and Olympic gold medalist -- will now be banned from the country, as a dual-national (UK/Somalia). He's currently abroad.

Michael Flynn's son is celebrating this as a Muslim Ban.

And we just sent back a woman trying to visit her hospitalized mother.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/syrian-woman-sick-mother-muslim-ban_us_588cdcfce4b017637794a715?6udugqlnqmyujtt9&
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #94 on: January 28, 2017, 08:32:47 PM »

I do enjoy watching the usual suspects come squawking out of of the hen-house after the eight year presidency of Barack Obama, which was basically based around executed orders.

The protests at JFK sure seem annoying. So is the CNN field reporter who won't attempt to feign objectivity for her life. They're blocking traffic now, too. Time to bring out of the tear gas.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #95 on: January 28, 2017, 08:37:31 PM »

I do enjoy watching the usual suspects come squawking out of of the hen-house after the eight year presidency of Barack Obama, which was basically based around executed orders.

The protests at JFK sure seem annoying. So is the CNN field reporter who won't attempt to feign objectivity for her life. They're blocking traffic now, too. Time to bring out of the tear gas.
This isn't about it being an executive order. It's about what it IS.

And really? The airport is DETAINING PEOPLE! Of course it should be protested!
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #96 on: January 28, 2017, 08:42:38 PM »

OPEC is irrelevant in this day and age.

Also truly hilarious to see the the sort of people who once spouted platitudes like "those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither" falling behind this.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #97 on: January 28, 2017, 08:43:29 PM »

The Joint Chiefs should have the military marching on the White House.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #98 on: January 28, 2017, 08:46:30 PM »

Can you for a minute not be such a heartless wretch and see what this for what it is.  Try to not be some cold bastard for once in your life.
Boston Bread
New Canadaland
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -5.00, S: -5.00

« Reply #99 on: January 28, 2017, 08:48:57 PM »

OPEC is irrelevant in this day and age.

Also truly hilarious to see the the sort of people who once spouted platitudes like "those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither" falling behind this.
I think Saudi Arabia would be against this. If their economic links with the US are broken Trump will no longer treat them any differently.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies