California Secession referendum in 2018?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 09:37:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  California Secession referendum in 2018?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: California Secession referendum in 2018?  (Read 8756 times)
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2017, 12:17:04 PM »

6 Californias had $5 million backing it, and didn't even qualify for the ballot.

But that was a terrible idea.

And this isn't? Wtf?

It is for the rest of us, but as I said, Californians are getting screwed when it comes to representation and appropriation of government funds.
You realize that the security that California has right now as a member of the Union is almost inexpressible in a dollar amount, right? It's not as a simple as how much money you get from Congress, there are certain appropriations that are more important than others. National defense is something an independent state of California would have to build from the ground up, and it would immediately have two significantly stronger countries right next to it. Not to mention the drought issue that occasionally pops up.

Not really.  It's not as if California has any foreign enemies.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2017, 12:20:56 PM »

California has literally never decided a national election.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2017, 01:24:56 PM »

And why should they?
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2017, 02:43:15 PM »

Won't make the ballot, next please
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2017, 03:11:47 PM »

1916? 1948? 1968?
Blackacre
Spenstar3D
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -7.22

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2017, 03:16:28 PM »

1916? 1948? 1968?

CA flipping would have changed the winner of 1916.
It would not have deprived Truman of the Presidency, however.
In the case of 1968, CA flipping would have sent the election to the House
JoshPA
Rookie
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2017, 03:35:41 PM »

6 Californias had $5 million backing it, and didn't even qualify for the ballot.

And this isn't? Wtf?

It is for the rest of us, but as I said, Californians are getting screwed when it comes to representation and appropriation of government funds.
gettting screw when it come to representation a the only californians getting screw on that is the republicans i think their primary system should be banned thought out of the country it its makeit possible for a one party system.
and b THEY HAVE 53 REPS IN THE HOUSE.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2017, 04:28:05 PM »
« Edited: January 30, 2017, 05:22:04 PM by watermelon »

And this isn't? Wtf?

gettting screw when it come to representation a the only californians getting screw on that is the republicans i think their primary system should be banned thought out of the country it its makeit possible for a one party system.

Sorry but I don't understand.  Can you elaborate?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2017, 07:16:51 PM »

1916? 1948? 1968?

CA flipping would have changed the winner of 1916.
It would not have deprived Truman of the Presidency, however.
In the case of 1968, CA flipping would have sent the election to the House

I meant if CA wasn't there, as opposed to flipping.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2017, 07:26:19 PM »

And this isn't? Wtf?

Ew, why would you want to share a country with these people? This is the best referendum idea they've ever had.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2017, 09:53:08 PM »

And why should they?

They pay taxes to the US government and are required to follow US laws; therefore each Californian should have their own say in US presidential elections.
ibagli
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2017, 03:29:54 AM »

If this gets on the ballot, I expect its main effect will be to increase support for reform of the initiative process.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2017, 03:32:17 AM »
« Edited: January 31, 2017, 03:35:58 AM by watermelon »

And this isn't? Wtf?

You realize that the security that California has right now as a member of the Union is almost inexpressible in a dollar amount, right? It's not as a simple as how much money you get from Congress, there are certain appropriations that are more important than others. National defense is something an independent state of California would have to build from the ground up, and it would immediately have two significantly stronger countries right next to it. Not to mention the drought issue that occasionally pops up.

Not really.  It's not as if California has any foreign enemies.
Um, it would immediately have at least one, the United States, and I'm sure Mexico and China would be interested as well.

No offense, but that's crazy talk.  Neither the U.S. nor Mexico would have any reason to be hostile to an independent California.  I won't even address your China comment.  Not even Alex Jones would say something so out there.
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2017, 11:08:31 AM »

And this isn't? Wtf?

Their representation in the House iss reasonable given their population.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2017, 11:16:32 AM »

OT: stop using China as the bogeyman for everything.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2017, 09:42:33 PM »

And this isn't? Wtf?

Not really.  It's not as if California has any foreign enemies.
Um, it would immediately have at least one, the United States, and I'm sure Mexico and China would be interested as well.

Mexico would be very interested: in Mexico-California-Washington-Oregon-Hawaii-Canada Free Trade Agreement and general economic and political union.
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #41 on: February 01, 2017, 05:37:35 PM »

And this isn't? Wtf?

Not really.  It's not as if California has any foreign enemies.

No offense, but that's crazy talk.  Neither the U.S. nor Mexico would have any reason to be hostile to an independent California.  I won't even address your China comment.  Not even Alex Jones would say something so out there.
Oh sorry, I forgot how the CSA became good friends with the Union after they declared secession.

You are the one that's talking crazy. The US would fight to the last man to keep California in the Union. If somehow they won their independence, there would soon be another war. Mexico would back up the US in this circumstance because they have no intention of wanting another potential adversary on their borders.

And what is so controversial with saying an independent California and weakened US would be a boon for China? Never mind the Alex Jones non sequiter.

Whatever.  I'm adding you to my ignore list.  Using an example from the 19th century to explain what would happen in the 21st century is nuts and makes me think you have no clue how the world works.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2017, 06:04:47 PM »
« Edited: February 01, 2017, 06:06:35 PM by Adam T »

I support this initiative if it comes to a vote and I suggest every coastal elite American state have their own initiative to get away from the idiot working class white Trump voters and leave Trump's United States of Faux Jesusland to collapse in its ignorance and stupidity.

Separate from the United States while the U.S is still at least a nominal democracy and you have the chance to do so.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #43 on: February 02, 2017, 12:30:56 AM »
« Edited: February 02, 2017, 12:35:50 AM by RINO Tom »

I support this initiative if it comes to a vote and I suggest every coastal elite American state have their own initiative to get away from the idiot working class white Trump voters and leave Trump's United States of Faux Jesusland to collapse in its ignorance and stupidity.

Separate from the United States while the U.S is still at least a nominal democracy and you have the chance to do so.

LMFAO.  The elite society of high unemployment, Bernie Bro(ke) college kids, cheap Starbucks coffee and safe zones.  How enviable.

If you actually wanted to separate from all Trump voters, you'd be closer to Atlas Shrugged than your delusional freak show liberal paradise.
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2017, 12:42:35 AM »

LMFAO.  The elite society of high unemployment, Bernie Bro(ke) college kids, cheap Starbucks coffee and safe zones.  How enviable.

If you actually wanted to separate from all Trump voters, you'd be closer to Atlas Shrugged than your delusional freak show liberal paradise.

I don't understand how people fail to comprehend that all rich people voted Trump.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2017, 01:01:23 AM »
« Edited: February 02, 2017, 01:04:27 AM by Adam T »

LMFAO.  The elite society of high unemployment, Bernie Bro(ke) college kids, cheap Starbucks coffee and safe zones.  How enviable.

Where? California?  

The economy of California is the largest in the United States. As of 2015, California's gross state product (GSP) is about $2.496 trillion. The state's GSP grew 4.1% in 2015.

In 2016, apparently the GSP grew at something like 2.7%  Neither the 2015 or the 2016 GSP figures fit your claim though.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2017, 03:58:08 AM »

Also, considering you literally believe that the state of California should secede from the United States, I think it is actually you that has no idea how the world works. Don't try me with this middle school style of debate. I don't give a damn whether you put me on your ignore list. You aren't even a speck in my life, so don't try and use these personal attacks.

1.Eritrea and East Timor successfully separated.

2.Why shouldn't California secede from the United States?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2017, 04:00:15 AM »

Also, considering you literally believe that the state of California should secede from the United States, I think it is actually you that has no idea how the world works. Don't try me with this middle school style of debate. I don't give a damn whether you put me on your ignore list. You aren't even a speck in my life, so don't try and use these personal attacks.

Eritrea, now there's a model for a good government.

/snark
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2017, 04:07:18 AM »

Eritrea, now there's a model for a good government.

/snark

I wasn't referring to the nature of the government that followed the separation.  If you think California is more like Eritrea than Donald Trump's America, you might be an idiot Trump supporter.
136or142
Adam T
Junior Chimp
« Reply #49 on: February 02, 2017, 04:11:50 AM »

East Timor was an independent state that was annexed by Indonesia. What an irrelevant example. Biafra is a much better comparison.

California shouldn't secede because Trump will not last forever. California has benefitted tremendously from joining the Union, and it shares a common tie to the United States that would be hard to break unless literal tyranny was inflicted upon its citizens. The people of California are able to elect their own government and send representatives to Congress. Also, the US is not a centralized unitary state, and the constituent states have strong and relatively unlimited powers compared to the federal government.

1.East Timor was independent for nine days.

2.The Economist Intelligence Unit stated that the United States is no longer a full democracy.  I don't think California or any of the other states of the 'coastal elite' should want any part of Trump's American quasi democracy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies