Trump announces 20% tariff on all Mexican imports to pay for wall
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:09:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump announces 20% tariff on all Mexican imports to pay for wall
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Trump announces 20% tariff on all Mexican imports to pay for wall  (Read 3727 times)
ssuperflash
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 26, 2017, 03:56:44 PM »
« edited: January 26, 2017, 03:59:46 PM by ssuperflash »

New York Times reporting

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This always works so well!
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2017, 03:58:40 PM »

As posted in another thread not too long ago:

Trump just announced he's going to have Americans pay for the wall with higher cost of goods sold in America due to a 20% tariff on goods imported from Mexico. I don't think he realizes that though.
DavidB.
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: 0.58, S: 4.26

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 04:03:24 PM »

This will hurt the Mexican people very badly and it's good for nothing. I don't support this and I hope it doesn't actually happen.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 04:05:09 PM »

It will be interesting to see the support and opposition to this by party.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 04:05:20 PM »

The president cant just set tariffs. Good luck getting it through congress.
JA
Jacobin American
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 04:08:42 PM »

As posted in another thread not too long ago:

Trump just announced he's going to have Americans pay for the wall with higher cost of goods sold in America due to a 20% tariff on goods imported from Mexico. I don't think he realizes that though.

Exactly. Tariffs punish the middle and lower classes of the country into which the goods are being imported. Mexican workers/producers and American consumers are the ones who'll be hurt by this. So good job, President Trump. Way to make idiots believe Mexico is paying for the wall while slapping taxes on Americans.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 04:09:06 PM »

20% tariff? Am I back in the 19th century? Huh
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 04:10:12 PM »

I'd almost support this (read: I don't currently) on China but not on Mexico.

The immigration problem is only going to stop if Mexico is allowed to develop economically.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 04:15:55 PM »

Republicans:

"Look it would be nice if everyone could have free healthcare but we just can't afford it"

Also Republicans:

"I'm willing to spend billions on building a useless wall because SYMBOLISM"
The Arizonan
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 04:25:43 PM »

I just want to see President Adolf try and build this wall because it will turn Latinos into a hardcore Democratic voting bloc and severely damage the Republican brand.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 04:34:20 PM »

So, In Trumps defense(Oh god), Spicer was referring to a border adjustment tax that congressional republicans have already gotten behind. It's not actually a 20% import tax.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 04:34:42 PM »

And when those workers suddenly can't afford something they didn't know came from Mexico they will... be happy they can take a second job as a berry farmer in California because the undocumented workers have all been deported?

hahaha good luck with that.  I was reading that article from politico Torie posted about rural Wisconsin, and according to the article, the only non-whites in that town were Mexicans who did manual labor.  As one of the residents of the town said "white boys won't do those jobs."
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 04:35:50 PM »

So, In Trumps defense(Oh god), Spicer was referring to a border adjustment tax that congressional republicans have already gotten behind. It's not actually a 20% import tax.

I was gonna say this. Still not a great idea but it's not punitive against just one country.
mencken
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 04:46:47 PM »

Stupid policy is stupid. Mexico exports more goods to third-party country, U.S. imports more of same good from third- or fourth-party country. No net effect on international trade, nobody ends up paying the tariff.

Thought experiment: A large number of illegal aliens are making money in the United States in order to send it back to Mexico for their families. Target whatever means of sending money back would enable Trump to claim that "Mexico is paying for the wall" and encourage domestic consumption.

Another thought experiment (partly inspired by my Trump timeline): Never back your opponent into a corner. It might be a good idea to impose a grace period for the first 3 months/6 months/1 year/whatever of his administration for those who voluntarily turn themselves in to ICE, allowing them to perform contract labor constructing the wall in exchange for deferred deportation and consideration of permanent residency (behind everyone legally in the queue of course) pending good behavior and payment of back taxes and heavy fines. Those caught subsequently on the other hand would be subject to expedited deportation to deep southern Mexico.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2017, 04:49:46 PM »

I'd almost support this (read: I don't currently) on China but not on Mexico.

The immigration problem is only going to stop if Mexico is allowed to develop economically.

Which of course would be made a lot eastier if the brain drain were stopped in the first place.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2017, 05:04:46 PM »

And when those workers suddenly can't afford something they didn't know came from Mexico they will... be happy they can take a second job as a berry farmer in California because the undocumented workers have all been deported?

hahaha good luck with that.  I was reading that article from politico Torie posted about rural Wisconsin, and according to the article, the only non-whites in that town were Mexicans who did manual labor.  As one of the residents of the town said "white boys won't do those jobs."

No but robots will be able to soon. What are we to do with tens of millions of illegal immigrants when that happens? Liberals have no strategy but to promise more government handouts.

Why would anyone be coming to the U.S. if there are no jobs?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2017, 05:15:58 PM »

I'm open to seeing how this border adjustment thing works. It's smarter than a straight tariff and the way our corp tax structure works now does legitimately encourage outsourcing.

This flap, though, is case in point why Trump's... "stylistic" choices are self defeating. He's endorsing a pretty uncontroversial move (border adjustment) but has to do it in the most petulant, vindictive and imprecise way. This is a terrible governing idea and policy communicating idea.
Fusionmunster

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2017, 05:24:16 PM »

I'm open to seeing how this border adjustment thing works. It's smarter than a straight tariff and the way our corp tax structure works now does legitimately encourage outsourcing.

This flap, though, is case in point why Trump's... "stylistic" choices are self defeating. He's endorsing a pretty uncontroversial move (border adjustment) but has to do it in the most petulant, vindictive and imprecise way. This is a terrible governing idea and policy communicating idea.

For a man whose entire career has revolved around selling himself, he's done a terrible job this past week. Most of the bad press could have been avoided if Trump and his team would learn to shut their mouths and show a slight bit of caution.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2017, 05:24:33 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2017, 05:26:51 PM by Sir Mohamed »

WOW, what a genius the Trumpster is. So, if goods from Mexico sold in the US become more expensive now, who is then paying for the wall? What a mastermind businessman.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2017, 05:25:34 PM »

This will hurt the Mexican people very badly and it's good for nothing. I don't support this and I hope it doesn't actually happen.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2017, 05:26:55 PM »

For a man whose entire career has revolved around selling himself, he's done a terrible job this past week. Most of the bad press could have been avoided if Trump and his team would learn to shut their mouths and show a slight bit of caution.

...and compassion.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2017, 05:40:41 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2017, 05:50:40 PM by Devout Centrist »

Bye Bye NAFTA!!!

Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2017, 05:47:18 PM »

Can't Mexico export to the US via other countries? For example, Mexico wants to export to the US, but to avoid the tax, it uses other countries like Guatemala, Colombia, Brazil to ship their exports.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2017, 05:53:41 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2017, 06:06:06 PM by Meclazine »

http://www.tradingeconomics.com/mexico/currency

Interesting to see when you click 5Y or ALL at the bottom of the graph.

Mexico is in trouble here. When Trump raises it to 30 and then 40% because it is not achieving the desired effect, then they will pay for the wall very quickly.

The real story is that he will do the same thing to China.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2017, 05:53:57 PM »

Good. Let's squeeze them dry.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to: