Gabbard's recent Syria trip/ meeting w/ Assad... Help or hurt her in 2020?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:47:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Gabbard's recent Syria trip/ meeting w/ Assad... Help or hurt her in 2020?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Gabbard's recent Syria trip/ meeting w/ Assad... Help or hurt her in 2020?  (Read 2349 times)
SCNCmod

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 25, 2017, 05:15:47 PM »

Gabbard's recent Syria trip/ meeting w/ Assad/ not notifying Pelosi of the Trip or any info/ etc...

Will this  help or hurt her in 2020?  And does it make her looking a bit self-indulgent?
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 05:25:30 PM »

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say meeting with war criminals at the behest of an unknown benefactor, without telling anyone you're doing so, is a definite "minus" going into 2020
andrew_c
Canada

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2017, 02:24:43 AM »

It's going to hurt her, and possibly kill her presidential ambitions.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 04:04:33 AM »

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say meeting with war criminals at the behest of an unknown benefactor, without telling anyone you're doing so, is a definite "minus" going into 2020

The US government has been just as big a war criminal as Assad.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 05:38:52 AM »

No. It's really not.

As someone who spend a good year or so on the whole 'US Empire' bend I know it's factually untrue to claim that the US is a war criminal on Assads leave. The US hasn't used chemical weapons on it's own people multiple times, or caused half the country to flee, or bomb hospitals and schools with barrel bombs
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 10:43:10 AM »

It's going to hurt her, and possibly kill her presidential ambitions.

This. But I have doubts that she is actually going to run.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2017, 11:33:45 AM »

Rjjr77
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2017, 01:54:24 PM »

I mean she never had 2020 prayer anyway. Backbench unknown congressman without a fundraising apparatus don't win the presidency
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2017, 02:02:47 PM »

Considering the anti-Russian frenzy the Democratic primary electorate is going to be in in 2020, this will hurt her, possibly fatally.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2017, 02:22:54 PM »

I mean she never had 2020 prayer anyway. Backbench unknown congressman without a fundraising apparatus don't win the presidency

I wouldn't count Gabbard out at all. She is a populist who is young and styled almost like Bernie Sanders in some respects. All she needs is that one spark to ignite that campaign and it shouldn't be difficult at all.

People are too willing to dismiss a candidate's flaws just because they fit a certain mold. It's like when the press kept asserting Rubio was going to be the winner because HE'S REPUBLICAN OBAMA.
(Still) muted by Kalwejt until March 31
Eharding

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2017, 05:51:11 PM »

Gabbard would seriously be one of the worst candidates the Democrats have ever had. She has no commitment to progressive principles, is influenced by Breitbart benefactors, and has little to no experience governing. Aside from all of this, she's associated with right wing groups in various foreign countries.

I wouldn't be surprised if she lost 40 states to Trump. This Democrat Party is a mess.

-Nonsense. Gabbard would have been a much stronger candidate than HRC, and would almost certainly have become the first woman president had she been the nominee in 2016.
Eharding

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2017, 06:03:55 PM »

I wouldn't count Gabbard out at all. She is a populist who is young and styled almost like Bernie Sanders in some respects. All she needs is that one spark to ignite that campaign and it shouldn't be difficult at all.

People are too willing to dismiss a candidate's flaws just because they fit a certain mold. It's like when the press kept asserting Rubio was going to be the winner because HE'S REPUBLICAN OBAMA.

-Rubio was obviously the Republican Romney, but more boyish and less functional.

In a sense, he was also the Republican Obama, because he did very well among college-educated elitist hacks in the primary and lost the White vote in the primary overwhelmingly to a well-known individual perceived as a champion of the working class.

And the press is the entity hating on Gabbard, not promoting her.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2017, 07:03:57 PM »

Gabbard would seriously be one of the worst candidates the Democrats have ever had. She has no commitment to progressive principles, is influenced by Breitbart benefactors, and has little to no experience governing. Aside from all of this, she's associated with right wing groups in various foreign countries.

I wouldn't be surprised if she lost 40 states to Trump. This Democrat Party is a mess.

Tulsi Gabbard is actually the type of Democrat that appeals to real-life people.  The Atlas demographic is irrelevant.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2017, 07:10:27 PM »

No. It's really not.

As someone who spend a good year or so on the whole 'US Empire' bend I know it's factually untrue to claim that the US is a war criminal on Assads leave. The US hasn't used chemical weapons on it's own people multiple times, or caused half the country to flee, or bomb hospitals and schools with barrel bombs

The jihadists we've armed have done plenty of bad things in Syria.
Eharding

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2017, 08:45:22 PM »
« Edited: January 26, 2017, 08:55:52 PM by Eharding »

Tulsi Gabbard is actually the type of Democrat that appeals to real-life people.  The Atlas demographic is irrelevant.
The best response I can give is that most of the people on this forum who support Tulsi Gabbard are Republicans. That alone should make you curious about her prospects in a Democratic primary, and her actual political views. I never heard Republicans talking up Obama, and yet he was extremely good at appealing to "real-life people" (as opposed to the fake people who use the Internet, which is in 95% of homes in this country).

-It's called the median voter theorem. Gabbard is to the right of the average Democrat; ergo, she would get more crossover votes than Crooked Hillary did. Of course, Gabbard is not a serious presidential contender.

I don't "support Tulsi Gabbard", but she is better than the standard-issue Democrat.
Eharding

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2017, 08:56:31 PM »

Tulsi Gabbard is actually the type of Democrat that appeals to real-life people.  The Atlas demographic is irrelevant.
The best response I can give is that most of the people on this forum who support Tulsi Gabbard are Republicans. That alone should make you curious about her prospects in a Democratic primary, and her actual political views. I never heard Republicans talking up Obama, and yet he was extremely good at appealing to "real-life people" (as opposed to the fake people who use the Internet, which is in 95% of homes in this country).

-It's called the median voter theorem. Gabbard is to the right of the average Republican; ergo, she would get more crossover votes than Crooked Hillary did. Of course, Gabbard is not a serious presidential contender.

I don't "support Tulsi Gabbard", but she is better than the standard-issue Democrat.
Yes, I know.

-I meant Democrat, clearly. She's a tad to the Left of Kaine.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2017, 09:08:42 PM »

These sort of things never help a candidate.  They are seen as undermining foreign policy, even now.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2017, 11:31:43 PM »

Everyone uses the internet.  But most people don't go onto political forums to talk about how X candidate underperformed in Y county.  For most people, politics on the internet is limited to reading articles and occasionally arguing on Facebook.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2017, 12:43:44 AM »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shiv_Sena

This sounds EXACTLY like the sort of group that Democratic primary voters are going to love. They'll definitely get behind a candidate with ties to them!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2017, 01:46:18 AM »

Tulsi Gabbard is actually the type of Democrat that appeals to real-life people.  The Atlas demographic is irrelevant.

-It's called the median voter theorem. Gabbard is to the right of the average Democrat; ergo, she would get more crossover votes than Crooked Hillary did. Of course, Gabbard is not a serious presidential contender.

So Bernie must have been a pretty conservative Democrat to do so much better with non Democrats than Hillary?
Eharding

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2017, 02:19:00 AM »

So Bernie must have been a pretty conservative Democrat to do so much better with non Democrats than Hillary?

-It depends. In highly Cruzlim Republican places like Ottawa County, MI and Utah County, Utah, Bernie performed really well. But in Trump Republican bastions like rural White Tennessee, Georgia, Mississippi, and Alabama, Bernie performed rather poorly. Both of these matter.

Overall, Bernie did better with non-Democrats than Hillary because Hillary was seen as uniquely crooked. So Bernie would have won Wisconsin, MI, and PA (Lancaster). But he was almost certainly too far Left for much of the South (especially Greater Appalachia). He would have exacerbated the great North-South divide had he been the nominee.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2017, 02:45:35 AM »

This sounds EXACTLY like the sort of group that Democratic primary voters are going to love. They'll definitely get behind a candidate with ties to them!

Well they got behind one who was friends with Saudi oil barons
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2017, 04:08:37 AM »
« Edited: January 27, 2017, 04:12:46 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

-It depends. In highly Cruzlim Republican places like Ottawa County, MI and Utah County, Utah, Bernie performed really well. But in Trump Republican bastions like rural White Tennessee, Georgia, Mississippi, and Alabama, Bernie performed rather poorly. Both of these matter.

Overall, Bernie did better with non-Democrats than Hillary because Hillary was seen as uniquely crooked. So Bernie would have won Wisconsin, MI, and PA (Lancaster). But he was almost certainly too far Left for much of the South (especially Greater Appalachia). He would have exacerbated the great North-South divide had he been the nominee.

Obviously he did poorly in the south, but outside of the south the worst he did any any open primary or caucus was a 2 point loss in Illinois. Ohio was the only state that he had a double digit loss in that wasn't at least one of closed or in the south.
Orthogonian Society Treasurer
CommanderClash
YaBB God
Bermuda

Political Matrix
E: 0.32, S: 4.78

P
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2017, 04:56:17 AM »

Should help, will hurt.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2017, 06:15:05 AM »

Well they got behind one who was friends with Saudi oil barons

Hillary was a Wahabiist Muslim?

Seriously the way you Tulsibots handwave EVERYTHING on a candidate with more baggage than a cargo plane is pretty amazing. Isn't it just possible the Democrats might just nominate someone else other than a backbencher Congresswoman not even from the continental US who has no fundraising apparatus, refused to initially endorse her party's nominee at first, has a ton of dodgy and hasn't even expressed interest in running anyway?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies