Southern Chamber of Delegates Thread-Introduce Legislation Here
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:36:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Southern Chamber of Delegates Thread-Introduce Legislation Here
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10
Author Topic: Southern Chamber of Delegates Thread-Introduce Legislation Here  (Read 10475 times)
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.16, S: -6.78

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: March 30, 2017, 09:40:01 PM »

I move that the legislative queue be suspended, and that "Rules and Procedure of the Southern Legislature," sponsored by the Governor, be considered by the Chamber as S1 before any other Act or Resolution of the Chamber.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #101 on: March 30, 2017, 10:42:33 PM »

JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #102 on: March 30, 2017, 10:44:35 PM »

Look, I appreciate these memes, they are great memes, but they make me understand what's going on even less than I already do.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #103 on: March 30, 2017, 10:54:39 PM »

I'd like to actually work towards getting things done, rather than play a game of "whose d*ck is bigger" on either side of the aisle.

The more time we waste bickering about things like this, the less likely we are to accomplish anything before it comes time for elections again. And it doesn't look good on those of us currently sitting who have to explain to all registered voters why we did nothing (this goes for ALL of us, not just those who are within our own party).

I don't personally like all of the pieces of legislation that have been introduced (there are things I like and don't like for both sides), but we should still respect the process and avoid looking like partisan hacks, regardless of whether or not those were the intentions of Ben Kenobi when he introduced them or not.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #104 on: March 30, 2017, 11:08:14 PM »

I disagree with cuber's motion here to suspend the rules.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #105 on: March 30, 2017, 11:27:15 PM »

I just thought I would pop in to say a couple things about the rules that might help.  One is that the part about resolutions on procedure being one of the purposes of this thread was intended to mean that they could happen here at any time.  And another thing is that the Speaker is given pretty wide discretion on how to organize the functions of the legislature, which would include prioritizing emergency legislation, etc.  At least that's how it was intended.  Apparently they weren't nearly as good as I hoped.  Tongue
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #106 on: March 30, 2017, 11:38:07 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

When I was speaker the first time I had much more latitude. Your rules changes tightened things up quite a bit.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #107 on: March 30, 2017, 11:45:44 PM »

Siren's right, sometimes the speaker needs more discretion. The other delegates need to keep the speaker in check though.
Anna Komnene
Siren

« Reply #108 on: March 30, 2017, 11:53:08 PM »

When I was speaker the first time I had much more latitude. Your rules changes tightened things up quite a bit.

You can't make changes to what doesn't exist.  Smiley

And:

3. The Speaker of the Legislature shall be the sole member of the body authorized to organize the functions of the Legislature, including opening and closing votes, allowing for debate and amendments, and other functions as deemed necessary by the Speaker.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #109 on: March 31, 2017, 12:01:15 AM »

Like I said, there was a lot more latitude before Wink

Y'all wanted a weaker speaker which is fine. Doing the votes in order stops all kinds of shenanigans. 
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #110 on: April 01, 2017, 04:41:08 PM »

Okay, so I completely understand the rationale of the Speaker, but currently our rules are entirely and throughly unclear in many key aspects of how we function as a legislature. Many of the "bills" proposed by Mr. Kenobi are silly and detract from the reason we were all elected here.

I ask that we either consider the motion proposed by Mr. Cuber, after it is clarified to be established as the next bill in the list, or I will be forced to liken myself to Fmr. President Yankee and manually open an emergency slot for this legislation.

I am not an impatient person, but when we have stalled on one bill for days, and are in extreme danger od a rules crisis daily. Yet, we are not even talking about bills that will even touch any Atlasians lives directly, the minimum wage, income security, and the like. These are the problems that millions are facing and I will not idly by and do nothing as people are left destitute because we must pass through bills establishing milk, as the region drink, or naming airports, or telling y'all to take your hats off.

I mean no disrespect to the Speaker, as these are systemic problems that have been ignored, but now is the time to fix them.

I will be issuing a EO or slotting tomorrow, if we can't get this on the floor tonight.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #111 on: April 01, 2017, 06:09:49 PM »

I completely understand what you are saying, and I definitely don't think you are wrong on this. But until there is a rules change that makes it clear, I'd rather continue doing business as usual and play by the "rules" in hopes of quickly getting to bills that matter, rather than spending every moment until May arguing about what exactly is allowed and isn't  allowed. And as it stands now, trying to go out of order is just going to have folks like Mr. Kenobi arguing this until elections, where he can easily turn that around on us.  I don't doubt that his legislation spamming was intended to keep the newly in control party from doing things,  but I just don't want to break rules to bypass that. (If that makes any sense).

Sorry, Atlas-ing on my phone isn't easy lol
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #112 on: April 01, 2017, 07:08:20 PM »

If we want to do it fhtagn's way, I don't think we should do full 48 hour votes. I more agree with the Governor on this though.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #113 on: April 01, 2017, 07:15:49 PM »

I'm all on board with clarifying the rules and giving more freedom to the Speaker, just bear in mind that the Speaker may not always be someone within our own party (as much as we all would like it to be). I don't agree with doing this now if there is any intent to change it when another party is in power.
diptheriadan

« Reply #114 on: April 01, 2017, 07:26:08 PM »

Are we going to go back to putting multiple bills on the floor at the same time?
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #115 on: April 01, 2017, 07:32:00 PM »

I'm glad to hear that the governor is trying to quash bills that he doesn't like.

Again, the rules are the rules. We should take up the legislation in order.

Given that the speaker hasn't even introduced the bills, the problem isn't on the part of myself or the other delegates for 'stalling'.

We should be debating the bills in turn.

Again, this is not the power of the governor to usurp the power of the delegates. If you wanted to be a delegate, you should have stayed there.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #116 on: April 01, 2017, 07:39:10 PM »

In response to Governor NeverAgain's request - I've decided to sponsor the legislation.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #117 on: April 01, 2017, 07:41:22 PM »

Ben Kenobi's Southern Chamber Rules bill Part 1

Rules and Procedure of the Southern Legislature:

Definitions:
1.) Legislation is defined as any Bill, Amendment, or Resolution to a current Act, Procedural Resolution, or Constitutional Amendment.
2.) In all past, present and future instances of the terms, a Bill is defined as a piece of legislation that is awaiting or is presently in debate on the Chamber floor. An Act is defined as a Bill that has achieved passage into Law.
3.) The Dean of the Chamber is defined as the serving Delegate, who is not the Speaker, with the longest continuous service in the Delegate in his or her present stint of service. For the purposes of this clause, continuous service begins at the moment of swearing-in in the first term of the stint of service. The Chamber may, by a two-thirds majority vote on an ordinary resolution, pass the title, powers and responsibilities of the Dean of the Chamber, to the next longest serving Delegate (not having been removed from the position by the Chamber previously), for any reason whatsoever.
4.) A quorum is defined as the minimum number of members of the Chamber that must be present at any of its meetings to make the proceedings of that meeting valid, which is defined as a majority of the sitting Chamber.
5.) The Southern Legislature is defined as the ‘Chamber of Delegates’.

Section I: Officers of the Chamber of Delegates
1.) The Chamber shall entrust the position of enforcing these rules with a Speaker who shall defend and protect both our constitution and these rules to the best of his or her ability. Any citizen of the Southern Region shall be eligible to serve as Speaker.
2.) On the Monday before the Friday after a legislative election, the Dean of the Chamber shall start a 24-hour nominating period for Speaker and Deputy Speaker, followed by a 48-hour vote on these positions. In the event of a tie, the Governor shall appoint an Acting Speaker to serve until the tie is resolved, or until a new Chamber is elected.
3.) The Speaker shall be tasked with upholding Chamber procedures, organizing the functions of the Chamber, including opening and closing votes, allowing for debate and amendments, and other functions as deemed necessary by the Speaker, all solely given the parameters and requirements provided in Section IV, V, VI, and VII.
4.) All sitting members of the Chamber of Delegates shall be eligible to vote in elections for the Speakership. There shall be no rule mandating the discounting of ballots cast before the end of the voting period on account of post-facto edits to those ballots, invalid preferences, or other trivial irregularities; but no ballot cast in a script other than the Latin alphabet shall be counted as valid.
5.) The Speaker’s term shall end upon the Friday after the election. Until the next Speaker shall swear in, the Dean of the Chamber shall act as Speaker.

Section II: The Southern Legislation Introduction Thread and Chamber Noticeboard
1. The "Southern Chamber Introduction” thread shall be used for the following purposes:
a. The introduction of bills, resolutions, and constitutional amendments.
b. The posting of any updates to the schedule, calendar, recesses, or other procedural details of the Legislature.
c. Any motions involving the procedure or hierarchy of the Legislature, including a motion for Speaker of the Legislature as well as votes on such a motion.
d. General discussion among members that is pertinent to the Southern Legislature but not related to debate on a bill, resolution, or constitutional amendment.
E. The Speaker of the Chamber, or a person of his or her choosing shall be the manager of this thread
2. The Chamber Noticeboard will be a thread managed by the Governor, or a person of his or her choosing, to update this board with recent events on the Southern Chamber’s legislation, and amendments, along with Rejected and Passed Legislation.

Section III: Legislative Threads
1. The Speaker of the Legislature shall create a new thread for each piece of legislation introduced; however, such a thread shall only be created when the Legislature is debating said legislation, "legislation" means any bill, resolution, or constitutional amendment introduced in the Southern Legislature Thread, with the exception of resolutions on the procedure or hierarchy of the Legislature.
2. The following shall be performed in the legislation thread:
a. All debate on the piece of legislation.
b. The introduction of any amendments to the piece legislation.
c. Any votes on the piece of legislation, including amendments to it.
3. Included in the thread title should be the current state of the piece of legislation followed by the title in parenthesis:
a. "Debating" - the piece of legislation is actively being debated by the Legislature.
b. "Voting on Amendment" - the Legislature is in the process of voting on an amendment to the proposed legislation.
c. "Final vote" - the Legislature is in the process of taking a final vote.
d. "Passed" - the Legislature voted in favor of the piece of legislation; however, the Governor has not yet signed it.
e. "Failed" - the Legislature voted against the the piece of legislation.
f. "Statute" - the Legislature voted in favor of the piece of legislation, and the Governor signed it into law.
g. "Vetoed" - the Legislature voted in favor of the piece of legislation; however, the Governor vetoed the legislation.
h. "Vote to Override" - the Legislature voted in favor of the piece of legislation; however, the Governor vetoed the legislation, and the Legislature is in a vote to override the veto.
i. "Tabled" - the Legislature voted to table the piece of legislation until a further time.

Section IV: Introducing and Managing Legislation
1.) If the Speaker determines that a piece of legislation is functionally impractical, frivolous, or is directly unconstitutional, they may, in a public post on the Legislation Introduction thread, remove said legislation from the Chamber queue. The sponsoring Delegates of the legislation shall have seventy-two (72) hours to challenge this action in a public post, and with the concurrence of a majority (3/5) of office-holding Delegates in the affirmative (excluding the Speaker), may override the actions of the Speaker.
2.) 6 threads about legislation may be open for voting and debate simultaneously.
a) The first 4 open threads shall be open to all legislations initially regarding bills, resolutions or constitutional amendments. If the sponsor already has two or more pieces legislation on the Chamber floor, legislation from Delegates who do not shall take priority until all such other legislation is completed. The Speaker shall be the president officer for these open threads.
b) The fifth open thread shall be reserved for bills submitted by civilians in the Public Consultation and Legislation Submission thread. The Speaker shall be the president officer for this open thread.
c) The sixth open thread shall be reserved for legislation related to regional emergencies declared by the Governor of the South. The Speaker shall introduce legislation to this thread as directed by the Governor, but only when the Governor has declared a state of regional emergency.
3.) A piece of legislation is no longer on the Chamber Floor when it has been withdrawn, tabled, rejected, or passed by the members of the Chamber of Delegates.
4.) If at any time the original sponsor vacates their office as Delegate, all legislation introduced in the Legislation Introduction Thread shall, within a week of the next session, be declared withdrawn by the Speaker by public post, if no Delegate sponsors the legislation. If a piece of legislation has been introduced on the Chamber floor, any office-holding Delegate may assume sponsorship.
5.) Co-sponsors of legislation under consideration shall have no power to withdraw legislation nor contest withdrawal of legislation by the original sponsor. Any office-holding Delegates may assume sponsorship of the legislation within 72 hours after the original sponsor has motioned to withdraw. Once a motion to assume sponsorship has been filed by a Delegates, Delegates shall have 24 hours to object to this motion. If any Delegate objects, the Speaker shall open a vote on the motion lasting until a majority has voted for or against the motion, but not more than 72 hours. If the motion is rejected, the bill shall be removed from the floor.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #118 on: April 01, 2017, 07:41:43 PM »

Section V: Debate
1.) After a piece of legislation is introduced to the Chamber of Delegates floor, debate shall begin immediately. Debate on the legislation shall last for no less than 48 hours. The Chamber of Delegates may waive the 48-hour requirement on any legislation by passing cloture by unanimous consent. To waive the 48-hour requirement, the presiding officer must request unanimous consent to waive the minimum debate time requirement and provide 24 hours for a Delegate to object to this request. If the 48-hour requirement is waived, the presiding officer shall immediately open a final vote.
2.) The sponsor of a piece of legislation may at any time withdraw his or her sponsorship. In addition, when the sponsor is no longer a Delegate, his or her sponsorship shall be revoked automatically. If no member of the Chamber of Delegates moves to assume sponsorship of the legislation within 48 hours, the legislation shall be tabled automatically.
3.) At any time during debate on a piece of legislation, a Delegate may propose an amendment to that legislation. The presiding officer may ignore amendments that he or she deems frivolous, functionally impractical, or unconstitutional at his or her discretion, but the Chamber may compel the presiding officer to consider the amendment by majority consent.
4.) The presiding officer shall allow 24 hours for objections to an amendment following its introduction. If no objections are filed, the amendment shall pass. If any objections are filed, a vote shall be held. This vote shall last until a majority of sitting Delegates have voted to either approve or reject the amendment or until 3 days, i.e. 72 hours, have elapsed. No Delegate may change his or her vote once the voting period has concluded.
5.) Any Delegate may file a motion to table a piece of legislation during debate. The presiding officer shall open a vote on the motion to table when at least two other Delegates have seconded the motion. A two thirds majority is required for the approval of the motion to table.
6.) When debate on legislation has halted for longer than 24 hours and the legislation has been on the floor for more than 72 hours, any Delegates may call for a vote on said legislation. The presiding officer shall open a vote if no other member of the Chamber of Delegates objects within 24 hours of the call for a vote. When debate on legislation has halted for longer than 24 hours and the legislation has been on the floor for more than 72 hours but no more than 336 hours, any Delegates may motion for cloture. Upon the concurrence of two-thirds of the Chamber of Delegates, the Chamber of Delegates shall end debate. If the legislation has been on the floor for more than 336 hours, a simple majority is needed in order to end the debates. The presiding officer shall then open a final vote.
7.) If a bill has been vetoed, a Delegate has 24 hours to motion for a veto override. A two-thirds majority of the members of the Chamber of Delegates is needed in order to override a veto.

Section VI: Amendments
1.) During the course of debate on legislation, any sitting Delegate may offer amendments to the legislation. The Speaker may remove amendments from consideration that are functionally impractical, frivolous, directly unconstitutional, or lack clear intent regarding the changes to be made. The amendment sponsor shall have 24 hours to object to the decision and may overturn the action with the concurrence of 1/3rd of his or her fellow Delegates. Unless stated otherwise in the amendment, components of the underlying legislation not referenced in an amendment will remain unchanged.
2.) The legislation's primary sponsor shall judge the amendment(s) in relation to their intent with the legislation. If judged friendly by the sponsor, the Speaker shall give twenty four hours for objections to the amendment, after which, with no objections having been entered the amendment shall be considered as passed.
3.) If judged hostile by the sponsor, or if a Delegate has objected, a vote shall be started by the Speaker once the amendment has been on the floor twenty four hours. The vote shall last for three days or until a majority has voted in favor or against the amendment, at which point Delegates who have voted shall be prohibited from changing their votes and the vote shall be declared final.
4.) The Speaker shall number and track all amendments offered during the course of each Chamber session. These shall be tracked in the “Chamber Noticeboard” thread.

Section VII: Voting
1.) Votes on legislation shall last for a maximum of 3 days (i.e. 72 hours).
2.) When a piece of legislation has enough votes to pass or fail, the office in control of the legislative slot shall announce that he or she will close the vote in 24 hours and that any Delegate who wishes to change his or her vote must do so during that interval.
3.) If a piece of legislation is vetoed by the Governor, the bill's sponsor may request an override of the veto within 3 days, i.e. 72 hours, of the veto taking place. The Speaker may extend this period if the bill's sponsor is on a publicly-declared leave of absence.
4.) For the purposes of overriding vetoes, any Delegate who abstains from voting shall be counted as a vote against overriding the veto.

Article VIII: Rules Disputes
1.) The Southern Legislature may elect to suspend any section of these rules at any time with the consent of two-thirds of sitting Delegates.
2.) The presiding officer may unilaterally suspend any section of these rules at any time, unless another Delegate objects. If two Delegates object, suspending the rules shall require the consent of a majority of sitting Delegates.
3.) If the Chamber of Delegates cannot resolve a rules dispute, within 168 hours of the start of the dispute, the Supreme Court of The South may issue a binding decision dictating the proper interpretation of these rules, bound by the Constitution.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #119 on: April 01, 2017, 07:46:33 PM »

Bill's now introduced on the order paper and we can take Governor Neveragain's bill in it's proper order.
NeverAgain
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #120 on: April 01, 2017, 11:14:53 PM »

Again, this is not the power of the governor to usurp the power of the delegates. If you wanted to be a delegate, you should have stayed there.

Entirely true, that's why I was elected overwhelmingly by the people of this region to govern and to administer the law. If your obvious spamming of legislation to impede Legislature progress is not resolved within my earlier time-limit, I will be force to pursue executive action to pass clear and established rules for this legislature.

I respect the Speaker, in her wish to abide by the status-quo, but too much of everyone's time has been wasted, and I will not let this continue to occur. I don't want another stupid Supreme Court case, but this is getting ridiculous, and if it requires one to get things moving, then I am all for it.

Mr. Kenobi, you have 24 hours to move your pieces of frivolous legislation, which currently hinder the progress of this legislature, putting them back at the end of the queue or deleting them all together.

I ask the Speaker to open more slots for legislation so we can get the ball rolling there, also.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #121 on: April 01, 2017, 11:43:38 PM »

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=261766.0

I have now moved NeverAgain's proposal to an emergency slot, given the issues we are currently facing within the Chamber, in an attempt to restore order. Messages have been sent to all voting delegates, as well as Governor NeverAgain.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #122 on: April 02, 2017, 12:57:54 AM »

But you were not elected as a delegate. That is my point. You were elected to be Governor.

There are restrictions as to what you can and cannot do, particularly within the Chamber of Delegates.

You were not elected to the Chamber of Delegates. I, however was.

Great. Then you'll be sued again for violating the rules.

I realize you don't like the legislation that's there on the order paper. However, that's not your job to bypass legislation that you don't like.

The let the legislative process work, nev.

I will do no such thing.

If you tamper with the order paper, you will be sued, and the order paper will be restored.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #123 on: April 07, 2017, 10:44:37 PM »

From what I can see, most people are preoccupied with exams.

I motion for a week's recess in the chamber of delegates so that our busy students can focus on studying.
JustinTimeCuber
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: April 07, 2017, 10:57:58 PM »

Lol you think we don't see through your garbage plot? Keep wasting our time, and boom, it's May. Besides, the Chamber already had a de facto recess this week, and we've only got 5 weeks left.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies