Congress to make hyde permanent + disincentive insurance coverage of abortion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:27:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Congress to make hyde permanent + disincentive insurance coverage of abortion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Author Topic: Congress to make hyde permanent + disincentive insurance coverage of abortion  (Read 2034 times)
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 24, 2017, 10:00:15 PM »

America has been made great again.

Thank you Lord Jesus Christ for President Trump.
Nyvin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #51 on: January 24, 2017, 11:00:41 PM »

There are a lot of things that I find morally repulsive that get paid with my taxes, why should abortion be any different?

Hopefully whenever the Democrats get back control this will be one of the first things they repeal.

The filibuster for legislation will never be repealed, and trifectas with 60 senate seats basically never happen. And even then you would need dems to completely united against Hyde, which isn't even close to being true as of now

Hyde is here to stay. Deal with it.

Uhh....if you need 60 votes to repeal it...you need 60 votes to pass it.    What makes you think that will happen??

The 5 romney staters will do it if they want to keep up their reelection chances. Casey will vote for it. Not sure where the remaining 2 will come from though.

But even if this doesn't pass, it's not like Hyde will stop being attached to must-pass budget bills.

I don't really see the Republicans being fully unified here though,  Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski in particular.   Toomey might be against it too.   

I'd see it's chances of passing almost being nil, and if the Republicans are stupid enough to shut down the government over this again...let them have at it.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2017, 11:02:11 PM »

There are a lot of things that I find morally repulsive that get paid with my taxes, why should abortion be any different?

Hopefully whenever the Democrats get back control this will be one of the first things they repeal.

The filibuster for legislation will never be repealed, and trifectas with 60 senate seats basically never happen. And even then you would need dems to completely united against Hyde, which isn't even close to being true as of now

Nothing lasts forever.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2017, 11:05:14 PM »

Isn't the Hyde amendment usually slipped in budget bills? I assume as a standalone this won't get past the filibuster so its DOA.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2017, 11:10:16 PM »

Uhh....if you need 60 votes to repeal it...you need 60 votes to pass it.    What makes you think that will happen??

The 5 romney staters will do it if they want to keep up their reelection chances. Casey will vote for it. Not sure where the remaining 2 will come from though.

But even if this doesn't pass, it's not like Hyde will stop being attached to must-pass budget bills.

I don't really see the Republicans being fully unified here though,  Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski in particular.   Toomey might be against it too.   

I'd see it's chances of passing almost being nil, and if the Republicans are stupid enough to shut down the government over this again...let them have at it.

When has Toomey ever voted against the pro-life position?
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2017, 11:46:34 PM »

Isn't the Hyde amendment usually slipped in budget bills?

Yep, and that's how it'll be kept if this fails. But it would be nice to have it enshrined in permanent law.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2017, 12:22:53 AM »

Isn't the Hyde amendment usually slipped in budget bills? I assume as a standalone this won't get past the filibuster so its DOA.

Yeah, but someday it won't be included and it will be glorious.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2017, 12:24:25 AM »

I wish I could be so optimistic. It's going to take a Congresswoman with some guts to strip it away.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2017, 12:33:00 AM »

When has Toomey ever voted against the pro-life position?
In the Senate, I can see Tester the most likely of the 5 Romney Dems to vote against it (I don't expect him to TBH). McCaskill seems like she'd oppose it but may vote if she feels like that's what her constituents want, she knows how to play her cards right and is one to bend over for her constituents. Manchin and Donnelly are almost certain yes votes, Heitkamp could go either way. Casey has moved to the center on abortion lately but will likely vote yes with his election next year. Of the Republicans, Collins is a certain no vote, and I can't see Murkowski supporting it either.

Toomey ran against Specter in 2004 by making abortion a major issue in the primary, so why would he vote against it?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2017, 01:01:12 AM »

Passed the House 238-183. Lipinksi, Peterson, and Cuellar were the only Dems to support it. No Republican defected.

The only pro-choice Republican, Richard Hanna, retired.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2017, 01:37:10 AM »

I wish I could be so optimistic. It's going to take a Congresswoman with some guts to strip it away.

You'll get your wish, though it might be from a congressman.  America has lost its moral compass and this is most likely the last stand of the pro-life movement.  You won't have to worry about us for much longer.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2017, 01:44:11 AM »

You'll get your wish, though it might be from a congressman.  America has lost its moral compass and this is most likely the last stand of the pro-life movement.  You won't have to worry about us for much longer.

I agree. People support wars, commit horrendous crimes, are cruel to animals, etc. Why would anyone expect them to be against abortions? The abortion industry will never lose this battle, regardless of who is in the White House.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2017, 01:51:19 AM »

I agree. People support wars, commit horrendous crimes, are cruel to animals, etc. Why would anyone expect them to be against abortions? The abortion industry will never lose this battle, regardless of who is in the White House.

Well, I think the abortion industry might lose sometime in the distant future.  The irony is that the eventually demise of Planned Parenthood might come from increased immigration from the more religious countries in the world.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2017, 01:54:27 AM »

"Abortion industry"

Get some meds
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2017, 02:05:24 AM »

No offense, but I see you making fun of people who are pro-life in every thread. I know you're solidly pro-choice and very liberal in general, but there's really no need to be so snarky. At least try to understand and respect the other side of the argument as well, even if you disagree with them. Your condescending one-liners aren't going to change anyone's mind.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2017, 03:10:29 AM »

No offense, but I see you making fun of people who are pro-life in every thread. I know you're solidly pro-choice and very liberal in general, but there's really no need to be so snarky. At least try to understand and respect the other side of the argument as well, even if you disagree with them. Your condescending one-liners aren't going to change anyone's mind.

Agreed.  For a similar reason, even though I am staunchly anti-abortion and consider it a grave, grave offense, I have no interest in going around and calling people I disagree with "baby-killers" or using inflammatory rhetoric - it undermines the true issue (personhood) and generally heats up the argument without actually moving the argument forward.
Mercenary

Political Matrix
E: -3.94, S: -2.70

« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2017, 05:41:27 AM »

Passed the House 238-183. Lipinksi, Peterson, and Cuellar were the only Dems to support it. No Republican defected.

It is pathetic just how in line with the party members of congress are.
I support this legislation but I would like to see more republicans oppose it and more democrats support if only to know that some people can think for themselves and not just do what their party leaders tell them to do.

I find it absolutely repulsive anyone could support using the people's money to pay for the killing of the unborn though. Granted I also find it repulsive to force people to fund drone innocent kids in the middle east and yet both sides seem to have no problem doing that.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2017, 05:44:36 AM »

I support this legislation but I would like to see more republicans oppose it and more democrats support if only to know that some people can think for themselves and not just do what their party leaders tell them to do.

I find it absolutely repulsive anyone could support using the people's money to pay for the killing of the unborn though. Granted I also find it repulsive to force people to fund drone innocent kids in the middle east and yet both sides seem to have no problem doing that.

It would be nice if our tax forms came with little boxes that read "I do not want my tax dollars funding x" or "I would like my tax dollars going to x."  Alas, that would bring on its own set of budgetary problems.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2017, 05:46:22 AM »

No taxpayer money is used for abortions, and it probably saves the insurance companies to cover abortions since abortions are cheaper than all of the healthcare costs of giving birth and a new dependent.
Mercenary

Political Matrix

« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2017, 08:57:08 AM »

It would be nice if our tax forms came with little boxes that read "I do not want my tax dollars funding x" or "I would like my tax dollars going to x."  Alas, that would bring on its own set of budgetary problems.

If we simply didnt spend money at all on reprehensible things it would take care of itself. At the very least we could refrain from spending on things that say at least 25% of the country objects to. I mean of course there will be the strange fellow that has some objection to criminals being put in jail or something so there will have to be some kind of standard.
Mercenary

Political Matrix

« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2017, 09:01:31 AM »

No taxpayer money is used for abortions, and it probably saves the insurance companies to cover abortions since abortions are cheaper than all of the healthcare costs of giving birth and a new dependent.

Sure but if Hyde was gone it is possible money could be used for it, that is the reason I support making it permanent.
As for insurance they can do what they want as long as no money is spent on subsidizing any plans that cover abortion. I would just prefer there be no insurance companies and we just have single payer though. Not fond of organizations that profit is determined by how well they screw people over granted that could cover a lot of other industries too.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2017, 10:02:26 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2017, 10:05:42 PM by Senator Scott »

If we simply didnt spend money at all on reprehensible things it would take care of itself. At the very least we could refrain from spending on things that say at least 25% of the country objects to. I mean of course there will be the strange fellow that has some objection to criminals being put in jail or something so there will have to be some kind of standard.

"Reprehensible things" is very subjective, though.  I personally wouldn't mind my tax dollars subsidizing abortions, but I don't like them funding silly, unnecessary conflicts in the Middle East, being used as foreign aide for countries that I don't like, or going to corporate welfare.

I'm pretty confident that more than 25% of Americans object to current US foreign policy and don't like their tax dollars funding it, but it's pretty obvious why that can't be used as a criteria for which dollars go where.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2017, 10:09:32 PM »
« Edited: January 25, 2017, 10:13:49 PM by Devout Centrist »

Changing other's minds is a foolish idea in the first place, but no matter, calling it an industry is intellectually dishonest.

Besides social issues, I'm not a liberal. Really I'm not. And if you want to know, there is a personal reason why I am strongly pro-choice and no, it's not because I knocked up my girlfriend and forced her to get an abortion.
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2017, 10:14:09 PM »

You should take some of your own advice.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2017, 11:32:15 PM »

Maybe if Democrats already have enough votes to block it, I'm sure certain Senators will feel free to vote for it knowing it won't get passed anyway, but let's not pretend like voting against any little legislative action that Republicans want is going to doom their reelection chances. Abortion-related or not.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies