United States forcing Canada to change time zones
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 29, 2024, 02:10:31 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  United States forcing Canada to change time zones
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: United States forcing Canada to change time zones  (Read 3096 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2005, 09:25:04 PM »

Except your population is clustered right near the border. Toronto and lower Ontario, Montreal and southern Quebec, Victoria and Vancouver.

Yes, but you cant conquer Canada unless you have conquered it all.
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -3.15, S: -0.82

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2005, 09:28:28 PM »
« Edited: July 21, 2005, 09:44:02 PM by Mexican StatesRights™ (AKA: KillerPollo) »

Except your population is clustered right near the border. Toronto and lower Ontario, Montreal and southern Quebec, Victoria and Vancouver.

*eats popcorn* Goooood, my young apprentice, GOOOOOOOD!!!

Our huge sailboat could rape canadia's raft!
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2005, 09:44:49 PM »

They're not forcing us to do it, contrary to popular belief, Canada is a sovereign nation.
Of course they are... it will cost us billions and billions if we don't follow suit.
It would certainly be an inconvenience, but if we can deal with time zone differences everywhere else in the world, I'm sure it wouldn't be that big of a deal. And as I said, they haven't invaded Canada demanding we change it. Until they do, they are not forcing Canada to do anything.

Don't give us ideas. Wink The Texas National Guard could probably conquer all of Canada by themselves, you know. Grin

Don't be silly, Canada is the second largest country in the world. You have troubles with Iraq- and that's whith the help of Australia, the UK and Poland. Our army may be sh**t, but our geography will be your worse enemy. Especially against unequipped Texans.

The Texans are many things, but 'unequipped' they ain't. Wink I've read about them, and they have more firepower than a lot of countries. It's true there would be a long tedious guerrilla campaign...

For the Canadian terrain? I think not. Not even the Canadian army is equipped for Canadian terrain, although that isn't saying much Smiley

Cheesy Well, I guess you could hold out in Alert and Eureka...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2005, 10:47:28 PM »

They're not forcing us to do it, contrary to popular belief, Canada is a sovereign nation.
Of course they are... it will cost us billions and billions if we don't follow suit.
It would certainly be an inconvenience, but if we can deal with time zone differences everywhere else in the world, I'm sure it wouldn't be that big of a deal. And as I said, they haven't invaded Canada demanding we change it. Until they do, they are not forcing Canada to do anything.

Don't give us ideas. Wink The Texas National Guard could probably conquer all of Canada by themselves, you know. Grin

Don't be silly, Canada is the second largest country in the world. You have troubles with Iraq- and that's whith the help of Australia, the UK and Poland. Our army may be sh**t, but our geography will be your worse enemy. Especially against unequipped Texans.

The Texans are many things, but 'unequipped' they ain't. Wink I've read about them, and they have more firepower than a lot of countries. It's true there would be a long tedious guerrilla campaign...

For the Canadian terrain? I think not. Not even the Canadian army is equipped for Canadian terrain, although that isn't saying much Smiley

Don't mess with Alert. Too cold for Mexicans!
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2005, 10:49:04 PM »

Er, you do recognize that Canada spends 50% more on our military than Mexico, don't you? Tongue
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2005, 07:11:29 AM »

Er, you do recognize that Canada spends 50% more on our military than Mexico, don't you? Tongue

Yeah, but the Mexicans have more biological weapons.  I mean you can't even drink their water!
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2005, 07:18:21 AM »

Yeah, but the Mexicans have more biological weapons.  I mean you can't even drink their water!

Oh noes, the Mexicans will contaminate our drinking water with their drinking water! Surprise
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2005, 10:11:49 AM »

Be a man. (Er, well, be a country.) Abolish DST altogether, and force America to do the same because it'd cost too much in money and inconvenience not to.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2005, 12:50:49 PM »

Don't mess with Alert. Too cold for Mexicans!

Too cold for anyone. I had never even heard of the weather condition known as "ice crystals" until I looked at Canada's weather service one winter day and saw it there. Once I finally learned what it actually was (the F-in air freezes) I had to shudder in horror. Shocked
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2005, 07:32:02 PM »

Back on topic ...

The House and Senate appear to have reached a compromise on the proposed change to DST. The propsal moves its start three weeks earlier, to the second Sunday in March, and its end one week later, to the first Sunday in November. CNN's report on the agreement is here.
freek
Netherlands

« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2005, 06:19:20 PM »

In fact, some U.S. states dont have DST either. I think Hawaii, Arizona and Indiana don't. Many countries dont have it either, and those that do all differ on the exact date. The world still turns.
Since 1996 all countries in the European Union change to DST and back to normal time on the same dates: the last Sundays of March and October.

1981-1995 there were two groups: All countries changed to DST on the last Sunday in March. The British isles would change back on the last Sunday in October, the rest of the European Union/European Community already on the last Sunday in September.

Before 1981 every country had its own rules, which could mean that neighbouring states changed to DST on different dates.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #36 on: July 24, 2005, 01:25:09 PM »

We should just switch to permanent daylight savings time.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies