Max Cleland for Lieutenant Governor?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:41:14 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Max Cleland for Lieutenant Governor?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Max Cleland for Lieutenant Governor?  (Read 3574 times)
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2005, 04:26:36 PM »

Barnes lost for three reasons.

Look at the map of the 1998 and 2002 races.  The big differences are all the sparsely-populated South GA counties, which switched to R for the first time in quite a while (perhaps forever) at the state level.  This was because of 1) the flag and 2) Sonny's hailing from Houston County in central GA.  Most previous (and always unsuccessful) GOP challengers for Gov were businessmen from the Atlanta suburbs and thus only preached to the choir.  Sonny is from an area that was increasingly vulnerable for the Dems.

The third reason was Barnes' perceived arrogance.  The vote totals were lower for Gov than for Senator and the other constitutional offices.  A lot of people simply abstained in the Gov race.  It wasn't just a Republican tide by any means that swept him out.  Lt Gov Mark Taylor, a Dem, managed to be reelected quite easily, as did all the other Dems - Sec of State, Atty General, Comm of Labor, and Comm of Agriculture.

I could see Barnes running for Congress some day, but I doubt he would challenge Sexby.  I can definitely see Rep. Jim Marshall of the 3rd district as a GA Senator some day.  And when John Lewis of the most urban Atlanta district retires, which could be as early as next year, someone powerful will win that one.  Perhaps Barnes or Cleland.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2005, 04:27:34 PM »

Max needs to knock off that scumbag chambliss and not even worry about Lt.Gov.
Ben Meyers
BenMeyers
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 5.74

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2005, 07:29:43 PM »

I doubt Cleland would run for Lt Gov.  Lt Gov is a position much lower in status than US Senator.  It would be like a Governor running for City Council.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2005, 08:07:10 PM »

chambliss smear campaign was only part of the reason cleland lost.

cleland's liberal voting record was waaaaay out of step with the average georgian.
I don't have a problem with the outcome i have a problem with Chambliss equating a war hero with Osama in order to try and win.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2005, 08:38:28 PM »

I doubt Cleland would run for Lt Gov.  Lt Gov is a position much lower in status than US Senator.  It would be like a Governor running for City Council.

Hey, former Virginia Gov. Doug Wilder is now Richmond Mayor.  Former Maryland Governor Schaefer has been state comptroller for a while now.  That's kinda the same.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2005, 10:10:04 PM »

Cleland didn't lose because of any 'smear campaign.'  he lost because his voting record didn't match the mindset of today's GA voters. 

Props to Cleland for serving his country, but what exactly did he do to earn "war hero" status?   does blowing  yourself up while playing with a grenade (in a drunken stupor, i might add) qualify as war hero material?
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2005, 10:56:16 PM »

does blowing  yourself up while playing with a grenade (in a drunken stupor, i might add) qualify as war hero material?

I don't know, but that's not what happened to Cleland.  Why did you just make that up?
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2005, 11:32:24 PM »

I really don't understand why they let you come back.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2005, 11:36:51 PM »

Segment of a great article from the Washington Post.  I'll have to find a link to an online copy:

"He graduated from Stetson with a history degree, earned a master's in history at Emory University, then returned to Washington in 1965 as a congressional intern. By then, war was raging in Vietnam, and Cleland, still fired with idealism, joined the Army.

"On April 8, 1968, during the siege of Khe Sanh, he stepped off a helicopter and saw a grenade at his feet. He thought he'd dropped it. He was wrong. When he reached down to pick it up, it exploded, ripping off both legs and his right hand. He was 25.

"He spent eight months recuperating at Walter Reed Army Hospital. On one of his first trips out of the hospital, an old girlfriend pushed him around Washington in his wheelchair. Outside the White House, the chair hit a curb and Cleland pitched forward and fell out. He remembers flopping around helplessly in the dirt and cigarette butts in the gutter.

"He returned home to Georgia in December 1969. 'I had no job, no girlfriend, no car, no hope,' he says. 'I figured this is a good time to run for the state Senate. And politics became my therapy, forcing me to get out of the house and be seen.'"

So I don't want to hear any more of this crap that has surfaced occasionally by rabid partisan hacks about what "really" happened to Max Cleland in Vietnam.  Go defame someone else.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2005, 11:38:51 PM »

Your sick if you think you can compare McVeigh to a real hero like Cleland.
Max Power
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 1.84, S: -8.09

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2005, 12:12:25 AM »

And that is related to this discussion how?
How was calling Timothy McVeigh a war hero related to the discussion, Michael?
PADem

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2005, 04:16:30 AM »

He's on probation...
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2005, 07:28:36 AM »

the pc police will come get you if you dare say anything negative about the 'war hero' max cleland.

i think he is a horribly annoying person with a huge chip on his shoulder. 
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2005, 07:38:30 AM »

What a load of bullsh!t.  That comment alone shows what kind of person you are.  How about making a constructive argument for once in your life?
ElectionAtlas
Atlas Proginator
YaBB God
United States

P P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2005, 08:57:15 AM »

I think that NixonNow means that prior to the Oklahoma City bombing, McVeigh was a decorated veteran having served in the Gulf War, where he earned a Bronze Star.  See Wikipedia Entry.  Not that Cleland and McVeigh are comparable, the argument is a polarized example that a "war hero" does not necessarily translate into qualifications for other jobs.  NixonNow - the argument is stronger if additional data is used in conjunction with your statement.  Timothy McVeigh is not known for his war hero history, and therefore the one-liner could easily be mis-interpreted that this bombing in Oklahoma City was heroic to some fringe group.
Dave
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2005, 09:29:31 AM »

I think that NixonNow means that prior to the Oklahoma City bombing, McVeigh was a decorated veteran having served in the Gulf War, where he earned a Bronze Star.  See Wikipedia Entry.  Not that Cleland and McVeigh are comparable, the argument is a polarized example that a "war hero" does not necessarily translate into qualifications for other jobs.  NixonNow - the argument is stronger if additional data is used in conjunction with your statement.  Timothy McVeigh is not known for his war hero history, and therefore the one-liner could easily be mis-interpreted that this bombing in Oklahoma City was heroic to some fringe group.
Dave

Yeah, that's what it sounded like.  I just thought it was wrong to put Max Cleland in the same breath as a terrorist who also happened to be a vet.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies