Multiple Sources: IN Republicans Propose Bill Making It Legal for Police to Kill
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:08:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Multiple Sources: IN Republicans Propose Bill Making It Legal for Police to Kill
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Multiple Sources: IN Republicans Propose Bill Making It Legal for Police to Kill  (Read 1943 times)
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 20, 2017, 06:02:37 PM »

Holy hell

"The Indiana state legislature is considering an authoritarian bill that would essentially allow police to kill protesters with zero accountability.

Republican senator Jim Tomes introduced Senate Bill 285 in January, though it was given its first committee hearing on Wednesday. The bill authorizes city officials to use “any means necessary” to break up a group of 10 or more protesters blocking traffic, “even to the point of costing lives.”

"According to The Guardian, Tomes has a history of introducing draconian right-wing legislation, including bills that call for incarcerating transgender people for up to a year not using the bathroom associated with the gender on their birth certificate. Sue Ellen Braunlin, who is the co-president of the Indiana Religious Coalition for Reproductive Justice, called Tomes’ bill the “Block Traffic and You Die bill.”"

Links: http://usuncut.com/news/republicans-kill-protesters/
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/18/indiana-protest-bill-police-power
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 06:09:43 PM »

It's beginning.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 06:13:11 PM »

1992: "The Butchers of Beijing"

2017: "They're just using any means necessary to clear the roads!"
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2017, 06:15:04 PM »

The American Democracy is really starting to show cracks. The judges being partisan, something other countries don't have, could really cause problem as partisanship could prevent any supervision between the various branches of government.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 06:16:32 PM »

Both sides are. Peacefully protest, but once you block the roads where working people have to head home, don't expect not to be in grave danger. Simple. Blocking roads can only tick people off even more than they are already.
Lambsbread
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2017, 06:16:51 PM »

My God. This is truly disturbing.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2017, 06:16:57 PM »

Murderous country this is
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2017, 06:18:35 PM »

Both sides are. Peacefully protest, but once you block the roads where working people have to head home, don't expect not to be in grave danger. Simple. Blocking roads can only tick people off even more than they are already.
Is that the hardcore centrism you believe in?

F**k, you'd allow a genocide if it got rid of an inconvenience for you.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2017, 06:19:50 PM »

Yikes.

I'd normally think this is flatly unconstitutional, but these days who knows
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2017, 06:22:48 PM »

What if it's pro-life protesters protesting abortion at an abortion clinic...can I just run them over?

Absolutely. If you are tired as hell from a long day of work and protesters are blocking the streets, you expect to rah rah and sit in your car and take that? I don't care if you are left or right. Protest in the park, not on the roads. That is how you lose people on a political side.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2017, 06:25:09 PM »

I am a hardcore centrist, but you don't make like miserable for people who have nothing to do with the protests. It's simple. Protest in the parks. People are in no mood for BS when coming home from work to be blocked for hours for a political protest.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2017, 06:27:09 PM »

I am a hardcore centrist, but you don't make like miserable for people who have nothing to do with the protests. It's simple. Protest in the parks. People are in no mood for BS when coming home from work to be blocked for hours for a political protest.

1) You are no centrist
2) That discomfort is the point since it makes you temporarily feel the powerlessness the protesters feel perennially
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 06:27:29 PM »

Won't hold up in court if it even passed which isn't likely if abortion protestors are the chief opponents.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 06:28:00 PM »

What if it's pro-life protesters protesting abortion at an abortion clinic...can I just run them over?

Absolutely. If you are tired as hell from a long day of work and protesters are blocking the streets, you expect to rah rah and sit in your car and take that? I don't care if you are left or right. Protest in the park, not on the roads. That is how you lose people on a political side.

lol

I'm not a madman. It's called common sense. How'd you feel if you were stuck in a car because of blocked roads for a protest? Both sides do it.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2017, 06:28:44 PM »

I have always opposed blocking roads, but if threats like this are used I will support it. Civility built on fear is not civility but terror. Better the entire country is stuck in traffic for a whole day, than people be too afraid to act out of fear of being executed.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2017, 06:29:09 PM »

Deadly force is not a solution for blocked roads. If you want to murder someone for blocking the road, then you are a scary individual.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2017, 06:29:37 PM »

1) You are no centrist
2) That discomfort is the point since it makes you temporarily feel the powerlessness the protesters feel perennially
1. How am I not a centrist? I call out both parties.
2. They can get a job, an education, quit moaning if they want to make their lives better.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2017, 06:30:30 PM »

1) You are no centrist
2. They can get a job, an education, quit moaning if they want to make their lives better.

There is nothing centrist about murder, my friend.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2017, 06:32:16 PM »

1) You are no centrist

Explain to me how "getting a job, an education," etc. helped MLK Jr., Rosa Parks, and others accomplish what they did? These are institutional problems they are protesting. The "get in line" approach is literally what they shouldn't be doing if they want change.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2017, 06:37:46 PM »

1) You are no centrist

Explain to me how "getting a job, an education," etc. helped MLK Jr., Rosa Parks, and others accomplish what they did? These are institutional problems they are protesting. The "get in line" approach is literally what they shouldn't be doing if they want change.

They are more opportunities now than they were in the 50s and 60s. Now, these protesters want to blame white people for every part of their miserable, gutless lives. Not every white person will take it lightly. They will only push people to the extreme limit. Both sides need to cool it, or else, it's Civil War II.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2017, 06:41:26 PM »

1) You are no centrist

They are more opportunities now than they were in the 50s and 60s. Now, these protesters want to blame white people for every part of their miserable, gutless lives. Not every white person will take it lightly. They will only push people to the extreme limit. Both sides need to cool it, or else, it's Civil War II.

No, there aren't. Do you understand what a systematic institutional civil right issue is? It's because they have no other options that they have to resort to this.

As long as you keep perceiving it as nuisance because you're white, and not because you're NOT marginalized, you will continue to struggle to understand the problem.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2017, 06:43:41 PM »

1) You are no centrist

That's what happens when the powerful just do whatever they want. They will either have to git rid of all those who oppose them or be removed.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2017, 06:44:32 PM »

1) You are no centrist

No, there aren't. Do you understand what a systematic institutional civil right issue is? It's because they have no other options that they have to resort to this.

As long as you keep perceiving it as nuisance because you're white, and not because you're NOT marginalized, you will continue to struggle to understand the problem.

They chose to drop out of high school. Don't tell me that there is no opportunities. BS. You have accomplished entertainers like LeBron James, Oprah, Jennifer Lopez. Don't give me this oppression BS, Arch. Look at the broader picture. People choose what type of life they want to have.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2017, 06:47:13 PM »

The people who need to get an education are those Trump supporters who sit around waiting to get paid $50 an hour to glue parts to something and blame minorities for those jobs going away. Let's be real about who is sitting around blaming other people for their own failings.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2017, 06:48:08 PM »

The people who need to get an education are those Trump supporters who sit around waiting to get paid $50 an hour to glue parts to something and blame minorities for those jobs going away. Let's be real about who is sitting around blaming other people for their own failings.

Both sides need to get an education.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies