Ecuador election, 19th February (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:21:37 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Ecuador election, 19th February (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ecuador election, 19th February  (Read 13911 times)
warandwar
United States

« on: April 02, 2017, 01:36:39 PM »

n e o l i b e r a l

This is like the definition of the New Imperialism
warandwar
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 05:16:47 PM »

Firstly, a quite large segment of the indigenous voters didn’t vote for the conservative candidate per se, but for the leading opponent to Correa. See for example the difference between the presidential and the national assemblymen’s elections in the Shuar- and Saraguro populated areas: in these places, indigenous voters voted for Lasso in the presidential poll but for Pachakutik, a fairly left-wing party, in the legislative election. I have already gave several reasons for why the indigenous voters dislikes Correa: the government’s support for mega-mining and oil drilling in indigenous-populated areas; Correa’s feud with the CONAIE, the main indigenous organization; crackdown on indigenous protests (remember that the province of Morona Santiago is under a state of emergency); modification of the water law in a sense that seems to favor big agro-business over small-scale farmers; Correa’s long-time refusal to comply with Pachakutik’s indigenist platform (transformation of Ecuador into a plurinational state; creation of an indigenous justice system; comprehensive agrarian reform; aggressive promotion of indigenous languages).

Ugh, that's incredibly disappointing. Thanks for the explanation though!

If you're interested in indigenous politics in Ecuador, I'd highly recommend "Crude Chronicles," by Suzana Sawyer.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies