SCOTUS-Watch: It's Gorsuch!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 01, 2024, 02:50:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  SCOTUS-Watch: It's Gorsuch!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 17
Author Topic: SCOTUS-Watch: It's Gorsuch!  (Read 27702 times)
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: January 29, 2017, 05:21:14 PM »

Gorsuch would be better than Hardiman, because there is nothing with Hardiman to assure me that he will be pro-life.  I wish he would go with Pryor, though.
Fight for Trump
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #126 on: January 29, 2017, 05:23:11 PM »

Gorsuch would be a fine pick.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #127 on: January 29, 2017, 05:23:28 PM »

Now that I think about it, we should consider Trump's habit of choosing people that "look the part". In that regard, Hardiman may have an advantage on Gorsuch.
ApatheticAustrian
ApathicAustrian
Junior Chimp
Austria

« Reply #128 on: January 29, 2017, 05:28:40 PM »

as the tea leabes tell trump's sister would recommend hardiman and trump delcared he would pick someone who would confirmed instantly.......

...... so i guess hardiman is the frontrunner.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #129 on: January 29, 2017, 06:03:35 PM »

Update: Announcement may be coming Monday or Tuesday. Down to Gorsuch and Hardiman.

Jonathan Karl ‏@jonkarl  56m56 minutes ago
Senior administration official tells me @realDonaldTrump's SCOTUS short list is down Neil Gorsuch & Thomas Hardiman.

Jonathan Karl ‏@jonkarl  59m59 minutes ago
WH SOURCE: The WH is preparing for an earlier announcement of @realDonaldTrump's pick for Supreme Court - likely Tues, possibly tomorrow

My money's on Hardiman. He's being pushed hard by Trump's sister and Hardiman has no known record on anything abortion related making him easier to push through

Both are completely unacceptable right-wing extremists, especially Gorsuch who would undoubtably move the court to the right.  Of course, anyone Trump nominates should be blocked since the country voted to have a Democratic nominee on the Supreme Court.

Looks like I was right and Trump will nominate a liberal/"moderate" Republican to the SCOTUS.

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #130 on: January 29, 2017, 06:46:36 PM »

While both are totally right-wingers, they are both a bit more moderate than Scalia was, so this could actually be a net move of the court to the left.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #131 on: January 29, 2017, 06:47:47 PM »

Hardimann is a bad pick for those hoping Scalia's voice for civil liberties would be continued.
MarkD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #132 on: January 29, 2017, 09:31:38 PM »

Can we please not pretend "judicial activist" means anything more than "makes rulings I don't agree with?"  Thanks! Smiley

I'll grant that there are some people who use the term "judicial activist" for that reason, but not everybody who uses that term means that. I know what activism means, I use the term even-handedly, against both conservative members of the Supreme Court and liberal ones, and it is not merely because I "don't agree" with their rulings. I use it when I am sure my interpretation of the Constitution is objective and historically accurate, while the Justices' interpretation is not. Bush v. Gore was the worst decision ever.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #133 on: January 29, 2017, 09:36:08 PM »

While both are totally right-wingers, they are both a bit more moderate than Scalia was, so this could actually be a net move of the court to the left.

Gorsuch would definitely move the court to the right.
Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #134 on: January 29, 2017, 09:39:51 PM »

Update: Announcement may be coming Monday or Tuesday. Down to Gorsuch and Hardiman.

Jonathan Karl ‏@jonkarl  56m56 minutes ago
Senior administration official tells me @realDonaldTrump's SCOTUS short list is down Neil Gorsuch & Thomas Hardiman.

Jonathan Karl ‏@jonkarl  59m59 minutes ago
WH SOURCE: The WH is preparing for an earlier announcement of @realDonaldTrump's pick for Supreme Court - likely Tues, possibly tomorrow

My money's on Hardiman. He's being pushed hard by Trump's sister and Hardiman has no known record on anything abortion related making him easier to push through

Both are completely unacceptable right-wing extremists, especially Gorsuch who would undoubtably move the court to the right.  Of course, anyone Trump nominates should be blocked since the country voted to have a Democratic nominee on the Supreme Court.

Looks like I was right and Trump will nominate a liberal/"moderate" Republican to the SCOTUS.

Yeah, whoever ends up on the bench is going to have a controversial standing for the sole fact that this seat was stolen for political purposes.  Any rulings against abortion or marriage equality should be ignored.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #135 on: January 29, 2017, 09:42:16 PM »

Both are completely unacceptable right-wing extremists, especially Gorsuch who would undoubtably move the court to the right.  Of course, anyone Trump nominates should be blocked since the country voted to have a Democratic nominee on the Supreme Court.

Yeah, whoever ends up on the bench is going to have a controversial standing for the sole fact that this seat was stolen for political purposes.  Any rulings against abortion or marriage equality should be ignored.

Any conservative rulings should be ignored, period.  The court has no legitimacy so long as a Trump appointee holds the balance of power.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #136 on: January 29, 2017, 11:26:38 PM »

Mitch McConnell just instagrammed a photo with this caption:

The Supreme Court plays a critical role in our nation. I look forward to the President's selection.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BP3sXf6hoj-/

Announcement imminent?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #137 on: January 29, 2017, 11:32:25 PM »

Any conservative rulings should be ignored, period.  The court has no legitimacy so long as a Trump appointee holds the balance of power.

Bush stole the 2000 election, and yet a majority of Senate Democrats voted for his $2 trillion war that led to the creation of ISIS. So there will be plenty of enablers among Democrats.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #138 on: January 30, 2017, 09:01:44 AM »

Fox Reporting: Trump will announce it live 8PM Tuesday.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #139 on: January 30, 2017, 09:04:56 AM »

Fox Reporting: Trump will announce it live 8PM Tuesday.

Any bets on what percent of the announcement will be about the court appointment, and how mch will be off-topic ranting about his ego?
Klartext89

« Reply #140 on: January 30, 2017, 10:35:16 AM »

I'm hoping it'll be Gorsuch, but I have a hunch it'll be Hardiman.

After studying all 3 remaining candidates, I would prefer Hardiman over Gorsuch and Pryor. In my eyes, Hardiman is the one you can trust the most to not become a disappointment.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #141 on: January 30, 2017, 11:13:28 AM »

There's still a pretty good chance the name could leak today at some point.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #142 on: January 30, 2017, 12:10:00 PM »

Saw an estimate on Twitter that Hardiman would be right of Kennedy and left of Roberts

I will laugh if after all the "but SCOTUS!" protests from the GOP this guy turns out to be Souter 2.0
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #143 on: January 30, 2017, 12:21:24 PM »

The sense seems to be that Pence+Ryan+Priebus want Gorsuch, but Trump and his sister want Hardiman. After selling Trump on Gorsuch, Trump may have flipped to Hardiman and ended up with him for his final decision.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #144 on: January 30, 2017, 12:24:33 PM »

The sense seems to be that Pence+Ryan+Priebus want Gorsuch, but Trump and his sister want Hardiman. After selling Trump on Gorsuch, Trump may have flipped to Hardiman and ended up with him for his final decision.

Never cross the family.
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #145 on: January 30, 2017, 12:24:57 PM »

Does anyone else think it's terrible that the court has become so politicized, and that we care more about a justice's position on a particular social issue than their ability and knowledge of the law?
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #146 on: January 30, 2017, 12:26:36 PM »

Does anyone else think it's terrible that the court has become so politicized, and that we care more about a justice's position on a particular social issue than their ability and knowledge of the law?

Yes but it's not like that's a new development.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #147 on: January 30, 2017, 12:26:59 PM »

Never cross the family.

Both Kushner and his sister are family Smiley!
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #148 on: January 30, 2017, 12:35:04 PM »

This just in: "Senate Dems will filibuster Trump’s Supreme Court nominee"

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/senate-democrats-filibuster-supreme-court-pick-234368
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #149 on: January 30, 2017, 12:46:27 PM »

This just in: "Senate Dems will filibuster Trump’s Supreme Court nominee"

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/01/senate-democrats-filibuster-supreme-court-pick-234368

If they are nuked, they then can always deny quorum, right?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies