Canadian Redistribution - Federal, Provincial, Municipal
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 04:21:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian Redistribution - Federal, Provincial, Municipal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14
Author Topic: Canadian Redistribution - Federal, Provincial, Municipal  (Read 43979 times)
Ontarois
Rookie
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #300 on: June 22, 2020, 10:21:16 PM »

I prefer Krago's can-kicking abiltiies to those of Ksituan Northland
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #301 on: June 26, 2020, 09:03:22 AM »

Ottawa's ward boundary review options report is out. I had no idea they were taking feedback from public on this, and there was even a survey on it. >-( Oh well, plenty of time to participate going forward. Apparently, more people wanted to increase the size of council than decrease! I doubt Ford will let us get away with increasing council size. There are five options in the report, two status quo (23 wards), one  that decreases to 17 wards, and two that increase (24 and 25). All of the maps are terrible, gerrymandered monstrosities. I explained earlier in this thread how a 24 map would be best and how it would have the least affect on the current ward boundaries. Anyway, here is the report: https://app05.ottawa.ca/sirepub/cache/2/e2ekqhmi0gcwyjw3dsb022uv/64527106262020093259974.PDF
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #302 on: June 26, 2020, 05:55:59 PM »

A bit off topic, but Ksituan also has a DeviantArt with some cool stuff - a lot of it fictional, but RL maps of all Canadian things political as well.
catographer
Megameow
United States
« Reply #303 on: June 26, 2020, 08:36:38 PM »

A bit off topic, but Ksituan also has a DeviantArt with some cool stuff - a lot of it fictional, but RL maps of all Canadian things political as well.

Follow him on twitter! I love his stuff.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #304 on: June 26, 2020, 11:35:09 PM »

His map of Alberta truly is a work of art.
Krago
« Reply #305 on: July 08, 2020, 02:20:24 PM »

Here are some new Ottawa ward boundary proposals for those so interested.

https://www.tinyurl.com/Ottawa24

The 24-ward option is the brainchild of Hatman; I take full blame for the 23- and 25-ward proposals.
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #306 on: September 17, 2020, 06:52:43 PM »

Edmonton’s Indigenous Ward Naming Knowledge Committee has released its recommendations on municipal Ward names for the 2021 election: https://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/city_organization/indigenous-ward-naming-knowledge-committee.aspx. City council will debate the report on Sept. 21.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #307 on: September 17, 2020, 09:44:07 PM »

Edmonton’s Indigenous Ward Naming Knowledge Committee has released its recommendations on municipal Ward names for the 2021 election: https://www.edmonton.ca/city_government/city_organization/indigenous-ward-naming-knowledge-committee.aspx. City council will debate the report on Sept. 21.

Cool idea. Smiley It's going to be fun for locals to try and pronounce some these, though. Especially Ward 10.
Krago
« Reply #308 on: October 29, 2020, 06:53:33 PM »

Guelph Council composition report recommends eight full-time councillors, one per ward

I know what I'm doing this weekend.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #309 on: October 30, 2020, 06:56:19 AM »

What a catch-22. I oppose reducing the size of councils, but support having one councillor per ward.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #310 on: October 30, 2020, 05:04:13 PM »

General question on redistribution. I've been reading many people want to get out of city to go to suburbs or more rural place because there is more space for families when you have to stay home and now more people work from home so less need to be near downtown.

There is a census coming. Is it possible there is a population shift that could have some effects for the next redistribution? Or is the effect if it exists very small and doesn't matter. There is also less immigration and I think for federal purposes they take into account everyone even if not voters.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #311 on: October 30, 2020, 06:24:15 PM »

General question on redistribution. I've been reading many people want to get out of city to go to suburbs or more rural place because there is more space for families when you have to stay home and now more people work from home so less need to be near downtown.

There is a census coming. Is it possible there is a population shift that could have some effects for the next redistribution? Or is the effect if it exists very small and doesn't matter. There is also less immigration and I think for federal purposes they take into account everyone even if not voters.

The next census is only next May. Do you think there's going to be a lot of people moving before then?
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #312 on: November 02, 2020, 10:58:24 PM »

The next census is only next May. Do you think there's going to be a lot of people moving before then?

I don't know in absolute numbers, it could be a problem of supply and demand but prices for homes are going up. With the usual movement of people leaving Montreal for the greater region and maybe less immigration to replace those leaving and less university students needing to be near universities I was wondering if it will make a difference. Probably not enough in numbers.
Krago
« Reply #313 on: November 10, 2020, 12:00:17 AM »
« Edited: November 10, 2020, 12:10:54 AM by Krago »

What a catch-22. I oppose reducing the size of councils, but support having one councillor per ward.

Here are my six kicks at the can.

http://bit.ly/GuelphWards

And here is the exhaustive agenda for the special City Council meeting.  Rather than endorse eight single-member wards, Council asked the Consultants to prepare maps of different scenarios (2x6, 1x8, 1x10, 1x12).

https://pub-guelph.escribemeetings.com/FileStream.ashx?DocumentId=10087

https://www.guelphtoday.com/local-news/council-makes-decisions-on-its-future-make-up-2850227

https://www.guelphtoday.com/columns/market-squared-by-adam-a-donaldson/the-ouroboros-shaped-city-council-discussion-predictably-eats-itself-2857188

https://www.guelphtoday.com/local-news/have-your-say-about-how-guelph-votes-2862209

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #314 on: November 10, 2020, 03:54:41 PM »

Decent job. I know how difficult dividing Guelph's south end is. I split it up nearly the exact same way when I made an 8 seat Wellington County map (from an ongoing project I'm doing of a 508 seat Ontario Legislative Assembly, maintaining county borders)

DL
Canada

« Reply #315 on: November 11, 2020, 10:30:22 AM »

Now that the BC election is over and the NDP won big - I wonder how long before the issue of redistribution comes up. Right now BC has a formula that is extremely generous to the depopulated interior and the BC Liberals likely got a bonus of 3 or 4 seats beyond what they should have had because they win a bunch of interior seats with extremely small populations (i.e. Peace River North, Peace River South, Nechako Lakes, the Cariboos etc...). Granted the NDP also has some "rotton boroughs" like North Coast and Stikine.

I wonder if the NDP will reduce the allowable deviation in riding populations and have a new map in time for the 2024 election that would likely add seats in the Lower Mainland and in southern Vancouver Island and subtract seats in the interior?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #316 on: November 11, 2020, 05:52:03 PM »

I'm reminded of when the NS NDP got rid of the protected franco ridings and the African riding, and people got upset. Not saying they lost the election because of that, but these kinds of things can be unpopular. Best to sneakily increase the size of the legislature by adding seats in the Lower Mainland.
DL
Canada

« Reply #317 on: November 12, 2020, 04:31:37 PM »

I'm reminded of when the NS NDP got rid of the protected franco ridings and the African riding, and people got upset. Not saying they lost the election because of that, but these kinds of things can be unpopular. Best to sneakily increase the size of the legislature by adding seats in the Lower Mainland.

I think the issue there was that ridings had been created specifically with the goal of ensuring representation of francophones and for Blacks...in BC the ridings with small populations are not designed to favour any minority group - they are just rural seats with too few people.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #318 on: November 20, 2020, 06:21:35 PM »

Final report from Ottawa's ward boundary review:

I wonder what the odds are of Doug Ford rolling back any recommendations? Sad
Krago
« Reply #319 on: February 25, 2021, 06:29:24 PM »

On Tuesday, the Consultants hired by the City of Guelph to review its ward boundaries released 13 proposed ward maps.  They also included a link to download the shapefile used to create the proposals.

https://www.haveyoursay.guelph.ca/council-composition

On Thursday, I released my (first) five alternatives.

Alternative Guelph Ward Maps

I'm going to be busy this weekend.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #320 on: February 26, 2021, 03:36:51 AM »

On Tuesday, the Consultants hired by the City of Guelph to review its ward boundaries released 13 proposed ward maps.  They also included a link to download the shapefile used to create the proposals.

https://www.haveyoursay.guelph.ca/council-composition

On Thursday, I released my (first) five alternatives.

I'm going to be busy this weekend.

For what it's worth the second iteration of your 6 ward proposal was my favourite. In the 8 and 10 ward proposals the south of Guelph is a bit cumbersome.
Krago
« Reply #321 on: March 20, 2021, 06:31:02 PM »

I now have eight alternatives.  I rest my case.

Krago
« Reply #322 on: March 27, 2021, 09:21:47 PM »

The Overbrook Community Association is appealing the new ward boundaries to the LPAT.

New ward boundary? OCA objects.

Ward boundary changes appealed by community groups

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #323 on: March 28, 2021, 07:30:31 AM »

The Overbrook Community Association is appealing the new ward boundaries to the LPAT.

New ward boundary? OCA objects.

Ward boundary changes appealed by community groups

It was rather dumb for them to suggest moving the boundary. Vanier may not exist as its own city any more, but it still exists as a neighbourhood, and its southern boundary hasn't changed as a result, even if it runs between houses.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #324 on: October 06, 2022, 07:35:42 PM »

https://bcebc.ca/

Preliminary report of the BC Commission, who proposes adding 6 seats (Burnaby, Kelowna, Langley, Surrey, Vancouver, South Vancouver Island).

Using Ridingbuilder, the results would be:

NDP 61 (+4)
Lib 30 (+2)
Grn 2

New NDP seats are Burnaby-New Westminster, Langley-Willoughby, Surrey Central, Juan de Fuca-Malahat and Vancouver-South Granville
The new Liberal seat is Kelowna Centre

NPD gain over Green in Cowichan Valley, Green gain over Liberal in West Vancouver-Sea to Sky, Liberal gains over NDP in Vancouver-Yaletown (former Vancouver-False Creek) and Langley-Aldergrove (former Langley East).
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 [13] 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies