Canadian Redistribution - Federal, Provincial, Municipal
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:59:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Canadian Redistribution - Federal, Provincial, Municipal
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14
Author Topic: Canadian Redistribution - Federal, Provincial, Municipal  (Read 43944 times)
Krago
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2017, 01:26:53 PM »
« edited: January 29, 2017, 01:29:15 PM by Krago »

- there would be several changes to other districts, to make sure all ridings are within plus or minus 25% of the new provincial quotient (13,573, using the electors from the 2013 provincial election)

The 'other changes' would include:

- moving Cambridge Mountain Road to Kings West to drop Kings South below the +25% threshold

- moving Mount Uniacke to Sackville-Beaver Bank to drop Hants East below the +25% threshold

- moving the area west of Bicentennial Drive to Hammonds Plains-Lucasville to drop Bedford below the +25% threshold

- re-aligning districts in the Dartmouth/Cole Harbour area (Dartmouth East, Dartmouth South, Cole Harbour-Eastern Passage, Cole Harbour-Portland Valley, Eastern Shore) to include the areas relinquished by Preston-Dartmouth, while remaining below the upper population limit

- moving Port Hawkesbury to Inverness and the Big Pond area to Sydney River-Mira-Louisbourg

- transferring Whitney Pier to Cape Breton Centre and Dominion to Glace Bay, to avoid exceeding the population limit
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2017, 05:16:11 PM »

Cool stuff. Really the only quibble I'd have is your new map has a riding names Guysborough-_____-____- Tracadie, but Tracadie isn't in the riding.
Krago
« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2017, 05:56:45 PM »

Cool stuff. Really the only quibble I'd have is your new map has a riding names Guysborough-_____-____- Tracadie, but Tracadie isn't in the riding.

Those are the current name and boundaries of the provincial riding. I didn't change a thing.

http://electionsnovascotia.ca/sites/default/files/20_guysborough-eastern_shore-tracadie.pdf
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2017, 07:30:22 PM »

Those are the current name and boundaries of the provincial riding. I didn't change a thing.

http://electionsnovascotia.ca/sites/default/files/20_guysborough-eastern_shore-tracadie.pdf

Oh I see East Tracadie, but not West Tracadie would be in the riding Tongue Silly.
Krago
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2017, 01:29:10 PM »

The Prince Edward Island Electoral Boundaries Commission (http://www.electoralboundaries.pe.ca/) has kicked off it's public hearings.

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/news/local/2017/2/7/illegal-districts-on-p-e-i---boundaries-map-under-review.html

They are tasked with creating a new map of 27 ridings.  So that means that:

(a) the province is going to add 13 list MLAs to reflect the victory of the MMP side in the recent Electoral Reform plebiscite (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Edward_Island_electoral_reform_referendum,_2016); or

(b) Do a Justin and toss PR out the window.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #30 on: February 08, 2017, 08:45:00 PM »

The Prince Edward Island Electoral Boundaries Commission (http://www.electoralboundaries.pe.ca/) has kicked off it's public hearings.

http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/news/local/2017/2/7/illegal-districts-on-p-e-i---boundaries-map-under-review.html

They are tasked with creating a new map of 27 ridings.  So that means that:

(a) the province is going to add 13 list MLAs to reflect the victory of the MMP side in the recent Electoral Reform plebiscite (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Edward_Island_electoral_reform_referendum,_2016); or

(b) Do a Justin and toss PR out the window.

They've already tossed it out the window. A Liberal, is a Liberal, is a Liberal.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #31 on: February 08, 2017, 09:22:39 PM »

The first census results came out today. Anyone notice anything interesting vis a vis redistribution

They've already tossed it out the window. A Liberal, is a Liberal, is a Liberal.

True dat.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2017, 10:23:49 PM »

the new geosearch program makes amateur redistricting a lot easier. I've just put an hour or so into a PEI proposal, and got a pretty good map so far outside of Charlottetown.
the506
Canada

« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2017, 10:34:38 AM »

Now that it looks like FPTP is here to stay, part of me now wants to put together a Canadian version of Dave's Redistricting App. I may be crazy.
Krago
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2017, 12:49:42 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2017, 01:19:58 PM by Krago »

The first census results came out today. Anyone notice anything interesting vis a vis redistribution

The most populous riding in Ontario is Niagara Falls (136,292).  The least populous riding in Southern Ontario is Niagara West (90,838).

You could fix things by adding Niagara-on-the-Lake (17,511) to St. Catharines riding, and moving that part of St. Catharines riding west of Martindale Pond and Twelve Mile Creek (12,222) to Niagara West.

Niagara Falls: 136,292 - 17,511 = 118,781
St. Catharines: 111,691 + 17,511 - 12,222 = 116,980
Niagara West: 90,838 + 12,222 = 103,060

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2017, 01:46:12 PM »

What about adding Fort Erie to Niagara Centre, and moving Thorold and the small part of St. Catharines north of it to Niagara West?  The populations wouldn't be as even as your map (NF would be ~105K;  Niagara West would be ~125K), but it avoids an awkward split of St. Catharines.
Krago
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2017, 01:48:55 PM »

What about adding Fort Erie to Niagara Centre, and moving Thorold and the small part of St. Catharines north of it to Niagara West?  The populations wouldn't be as even as your map (NF would be ~105K;  Niagara West would be ~125K), but it avoids an awkward split of St. Catharines.

Here's another option that provides great population balance, and communities of interest, but the NDP would hate Hate HATE it.

Krago
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2017, 03:47:17 PM »

And here is a Hatman-like proposal.  Thorold South would move to Niagara Falls and Fonthill would join Niagara South.

Krago
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2017, 04:12:04 PM »

It's amazing what you can accomplish at work when you don't feel like working!

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2017, 04:31:52 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2017, 04:33:44 PM by 🍁 Hatman »

Any riding that connects Niagara-on-the-Lake to the rest of the island by a thin strip of land fails compactness. (though I'm aware this was done back in the 1960s with the provincial riding monstrosity of "Lincoln")
Krago
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2017, 04:54:16 PM »

Any riding that connects Niagara-on-the-Lake to the rest of the island by a thin strip of land fails compactness. (though I'm aware this was done back in the 1960s with the provincial riding monstrosity of "Lincoln")

If only there was a map that showed some sort of community of interest among Grimsby, Lincoln and Niagara-on-the-Lake, connected by a transportation route along the southern edge of St. Catharines...

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2017, 09:30:37 AM »

If only there was a map that showed some sort of community of interest among Grimsby, Lincoln and Niagara-on-the-Lake, connected by a transportation route along the southern edge of St. Catharines...

Ahh, I know there is a community of interest, but it's an ugly shape.
Krago
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2017, 11:41:48 AM »

I'm working on the revisions to my Alberta proposal using the new Census populations.  What do you think of these?

- Banff-Kananaskis
- Cochrane-Crossfield
- Airdrie West
- Chestermere-Airdrie East

Calgary is turning out to be a bit of a pain with the new numbers.
Njall
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -5.91

« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2017, 06:00:26 PM »

I'm working on the revisions to my Alberta proposal using the new Census populations.  What do you think of these?

- Banff-Kananaskis
- Cochrane-Crossfield
- Airdrie West
- Chestermere-Airdrie East

Calgary is turning out to be a bit of a pain with the new numbers.

I'd have to see them on a map to give a firm judgement. But just based off of their names, I feel like a Canff-Kananaskis district would certainly make sense. In terms of Calgary's bedroom communities...that's pretty tricky. In my mind, it would make more sense to pair Crossfield with Airdrie than with Cochrane, but following that path may prove to be too much hassle.

I agree, Calgary is a pretty big pain to try to redistrict. I've been trying to play around with potential scenarios based on the community-by-community totals in the 2016 municipal census, but it's tough to make everything work decently well.
Krago
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2017, 01:03:24 AM »

Here's my attempt to equalize the populations of all 87 Alberta provincial electoral divisions: https://goo.gl/DcCPF0.

The population statistics will be added once the 2016 Census figures are released on February 8.

I have revised my proposed Alberta map using the new 2016 Census population counts.  Please look it over and let me know what you think.

https://goo.gl/DcCPF0
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2017, 02:56:46 PM »
« Edited: February 13, 2017, 03:09:43 PM by 🍁 Hatman »

Here's my attempt to equalize the populations of all 87 Alberta provincial electoral divisions: https://goo.gl/DcCPF0.

The population statistics will be added once the 2016 Census figures are released on February 8.

I have revised my proposed Alberta map using the new 2016 Census population counts.  Please look it over and let me know what you think.

https://goo.gl/DcCPF0

(Just looking at Calgary) Pretty good map, except for that Calgary-Klein abomination. Was that unavoidable?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2017, 03:15:10 PM »

In Edmonton, I would want to re-draw Edmonton-Southwest and Edmonton-Riverview. I don't like how the river bifurcates both ridings (Edmonton SW is particularly awful with all that uninhabited area in the middle of the riding). Also, I don't like how Edmonton-Getty crosses the highway. Cheesy
Krago
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2017, 04:39:58 PM »

(Just looking at Calgary) Pretty good map, except for that Calgary-Klein abomination. Was that unavoidable?

You could combine Calgary-Klein with Calgary-Mountain View, and split it into east and west ridings along Centre St N.  Would that be an improvement?
Krago
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2017, 05:09:22 PM »
« Edited: February 13, 2017, 05:11:00 PM by Krago »

In Edmonton, I would want to re-draw Edmonton-Southwest and Edmonton-Riverview. I don't like how the river bifurcates both ridings (Edmonton SW is particularly awful with all that uninhabited area in the middle of the riding). Also, I don't like how Edmonton-Getty crosses the highway. Cheesy

Do you like this better?  The blue lines represent my revised proposal (the one I created last night) while the colours show the new non-river-crossing boundaries.

I renamed the four SW Edmonton ridings after Four of the Famous Five.  Emily Murphy can go suck a lemon.

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2017, 06:12:01 PM »

Much better! Cheesy

Oh, and why is Edmonton-Meadowlark called that IRL? The Meadowlark area is not in the riding Tongue Maybe we should rename it Edmononton-Murphy? Though "West Edmonton" of course is the only acceptable name.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies