FT 20.04 – Plain Packaging Act (Law)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:18:12 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  FT 20.04 – Plain Packaging Act (Law)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: FT 20.04 – Plain Packaging Act (Law)  (Read 427 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 14, 2021, 11:10:48 PM »
« edited: September 04, 2021, 04:37:37 PM by Unconditional Surrender Truman »

AN ACT
to hit the parasitic purveyors of poison to people where it hurts

Section 1 (Title)
i. The title of this act shall be, the "Plain Packaging Act."
ii. As it appears in this legislation, "retail packaging" refers to the packaging in which tobacco products are presented to the consumer in a store or other venue.

Section 2 (Requirement for plain packaging)
i. No tobacco products may be sold on the market except those whose retail packaging conforms to the requirements set forth herein.

Section 3 (Shape)
i. All tobacco products must be packaged for sale in a box or carton made of cardboard and only of cardboard, without ridges, embossed images, or any other variation of shape or texture.
ii. Any glue or adhesive used in manufacturing must be transparent and colorless.
iii. When the box or carton is closed, each outer surface must be rectangular, and the surfaces of the packaging must meet at 90˚ angles. All edges must be straight and not rounded, bevelled, or otherwise embellished in any way.
iv. The packaging must open with a flip-top lid hinged only at the back and with straight edges. Neither the lid nor the edges of the lid may be rounded, bevelled, or otherwise embellished in any way.

Section 4 (Finish)
i. All outer and inner surfaces of the retail packaging of tobacco products, as well as any lining of a box or carton, must have a matte finish and be brown in color.
(a) As it appears in this section, "brown" refers to pantone #448c.

Section 5 (Wrapper)
i. Any plastic or other wrapper must be transparent and colorless and carry no text or identifying mark.
ii. The wrapper must nor be textured or embellished in any way.

Section 6 (Text and logos)
i. No trade mark may appear anywhere on the retail packaging of tobacco products.
ii. No other text or mark may appear anywhere on the retail packaging of tobacco products, except as expressly provided herein.
iii. All text must be printed in white twelve-point Avenir font, except as expressly provided herein.

Section 7 (Labels)
i. The name of the product and manufacturer may appear only once on the retail packaging of tobacco products.
ii. The label must appear in the following formulation, and include no other text or other promotional symbols, messages, or marks: the type of product, and directly beneath this the manufacturer. The label must be centered in the bottom third of the side of the packaging on which it appears.
iii. Directly above the label, the packaging must display a full-color, high-resolution photograph sized to fit the perimeter of the packaging, along with a message in bolded twenty-point font. It must either display:
(a) a photograph of a diseased human lung, with the caption above, "SMOKING CAUSES LUNG CANCER"; or
(b) a photograph of rotted and discolored teeth, with the caption above, "SMOKING CAUSES MOUTH AND THROAT CANCER"; or
(c) a photograph of a child attached to a respirator, with the caption above, "DON'T LET YOUR CHILDREN BREATH SMOKE"; or
(d) some other combination of image and message mandated by the Ministry of Health and Human Services.
(e) Appropriate photographs will be selected by the Ministry of Health and Human Services.
iv. The reverse side of the packaging must carry another of the above images with the corresponding message.
v. All other sides of the packaging must display a warning provided by the Ministry of Health and Human Services; this warning must be printed in bolded black twelve-point letters on an amber #ffbf00 background.

Section 8 (Scent and noise)
i. When opened, the retail packaging of tobacco products must be rigged to emit a harmless sulphuric odor and to play a recording of a shrill scream or siren lasting at least 60 seconds.
ii. No part of the retail packaging of tobacco products may make any other noise, or contain or produce a scent, that could be taken to constitute tobacco advertising and promotion.

Section 9 (Effect)
i. This act shall apply to all tobacco products packaged on or after October 1, 2021.
Sponsor: Harry S Truman, FM

The first minister has the floor.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2021, 11:13:10 PM »

Well! This bill is a long time coming —it traces its earliest origins to a conversation I had with the honorable member from Utah roughly a year ago about the Australian plain packaging law, which has been supremely effective in discouraging the use of tobacco products in that country. This bill is modeled closely on the aforementioned law, prescribing new regulations governing the packaging of all tobacco products for sale in Frιmont, with the goal of discouraging their use and decreasing their marketability.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2021, 08:10:50 AM »

Fantastic legislation which has my wholehearted support. I can only suggest that in addition to these measures we also consider raising the rate of Tobacco Excise to further discourage use of this vile substance.

An extra idea just to through out there, could we extend this to also apply to Vaping products? They're a very serious risk to teenager's health and so much of their appeal is based on savvy marketing. By eliminating said savvy marketing we can help discourage uptake of vaping and save the next generation from the scourge of Nicotine.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2021, 06:49:39 PM »

I support this bill!

I don't have much objection to a possible amendment that would extend to vaping, but I am also not as informed about its problems.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2021, 11:05:36 PM »

Amendment:

AN ACT

Section 1 (Title)
ii. As it appears in this legislation, "retail packaging" refers to the packaging in which tobacco and vape products are presented to the consumer in a store or other venue.

i. No tobacco or vape products may be sold on the market except those whose retail packaging conforms to the requirements set forth herein.

Section 3 (Shape)
i. All tobacco and vape products must be packaged for sale in a box or carton made of cardboard and only of cardboard, without ridges, embossed images, or any other variation of shape or texture.
ii. Any glue or adhesive used in manufacturing must be transparent and colorless.
iii. When the box or carton is closed, each outer surface must be rectangular, and the surfaces of the packaging must meet at 90˚ angles. All edges must be straight and not rounded, bevelled, or otherwise embellished in any way.
iv. The packaging must open with a flip-top lid hinged only at the back and with straight edges. Neither the lid nor the edges of the lid may be rounded, bevelled, or otherwise embellished in any way.

Section 4 (Finish)
i. All outer and inner surfaces of the retail packaging of tobacco and vape products, as well as any lining of a box or carton, must have a matte finish and be brown in color.

Section 5 (Wrapper)
i. Any plastic or other wrapper must be transparent and colorless and carry no text or identifying mark.

i. No trade mark may appear anywhere on the retail packaging of tobacco and vape products.
ii. No other text or mark may appear anywhere on the retail packaging of tobacco and vape products, except as expressly provided herein.
iii. All text must be printed in white twelve-point Avenir font, except as expressly provided herein.

Section 7 (Labels)
i. The name of the product and manufacturer may appear only once on the retail packaging of tobacco products.
ii. The label must appear in the following formulation, and include no other text or other promotional symbols, messages, or marks: the type of product, and directly beneath this the manufacturer. The label must be centered in the bottom third of the side of the packaging on which it appears.
iii. Directly above the label, the packaging must display a full-color, high-resolution photograph sized to fit the perimeter of the packaging, along with a message in bolded twenty-point font. It must either display:
(a) a photograph of a diseased human lung, with the caption above, "SMOKING CAUSES LUNG CANCER"; or
(b) a photograph of rotted and discolored teeth, with the caption above, "SMOKING CAUSES MOUTH AND THROAT CANCER"; or
(c) a photograph of a child attached to a respirator, with the caption above, "DON'T LET YOUR CHILDREN BREATH SMOKE"; or
(d) some other combination of image and message mandated by the Ministry of Health and Human Services.
(e) Appropriate photographs will be selected by the Ministry of Health and Human Services.
iv. The reverse side of the packaging must carry another of the above images with the corresponding message.
v. All other sides of the packaging must display a warning provided by the Ministry of Health and Human Services; this warning must be printed in bolded black twelve-point letters on an amber #ffbf00 background.

i. When opened, the retail packaging of tobacco and vape products must be rigged to emit a harmless sulphuric odor and to play a recording of a shrill scream or siren lasting at least 60 seconds.
ii. No part of the retail packaging of tobacco and vape products may make any other noise, or contain or produce a scent, that could be taken to constitute tobacco advertising and promotion.

Section 9 (Effect)
i. This act shall apply to all tobacco and vape products packaged on or after October 1, 2021.
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2021, 12:27:37 AM »

The amendment is adopted.

I move for a vote.
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2021, 12:31:59 AM »

Seconded
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2021, 12:53:55 AM »

Right-o.

The vote will start now. Vote yes, or I shoot.

Aye!
AustralianSwingVoter
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Australia

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2021, 01:37:14 AM »

YE
Modadmin
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -0.52

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2021, 08:11:38 AM »

Abstain.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2021, 05:51:49 PM »

Aye
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2021, 04:36:30 PM »

AN ACT

Section 1 (Title)
ii. As it appears in this legislation, "retail packaging" refers to the packaging in which tobacco and vape products are presented to the consumer in a store or other venue.

i. No tobacco or vape products may be sold on the market except those whose retail packaging conforms to the requirements set forth herein.

Section 3 (Shape)
i. All tobacco and vape products must be packaged for sale in a box or carton made of cardboard and only of cardboard, without ridges, embossed images, or any other variation of shape or texture.

Section 4 (Finish)
i. All outer and inner surfaces of the retail packaging of tobacco and vape products, as well as any lining of a box or carton, must have a matte finish and be brown in color.

Section 5 (Wrapper)

i. No trade mark may appear anywhere on the retail packaging of tobacco and vape products.
ii. No other text or mark may appear anywhere on the retail packaging of tobacco and vape products, except as expressly provided herein.

Section 7 (Labels)

i. When opened, the retail packaging of tobacco and vape products must be rigged to emit a harmless sulphuric odor and to play a recording of a shrill scream or siren lasting at least 60 seconds.
ii. No part of the retail packaging of tobacco and vape products may make any other noise, or contain or produce a scent, that could be taken to constitute tobacco advertising and promotion.

Section 9 (Effect)
i. This act shall apply to all tobacco and vape products packaged on or after October 1, 2021.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies