Department of Federal Elections (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:01:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Department of Federal Elections (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Department of Federal Elections  (Read 72036 times)
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« on: January 10, 2017, 09:19:33 PM »

Just so long as nobody is confused, you cannot be officially confirmed or swear in until Rpryor has resigned.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2017, 11:22:54 PM »

Madame Secretary,

Using Google Translate to decipher Hashemite's vote, it translates as such:

THE PRESIDENT
[1] April Ludgate
[2] Seda Toutkhalian
[3] Aliya Mustafina
[4] DFW Liberty Lover

HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES
[1] April Ludgate
I'm not sure Hash's vote would've been valid anyway. Didn't we pass a law after the October elections saying that the ballot has to be in English?

(Albeit, it's a pretty moot point given that the ballot is spoiled anyway)

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=255115.msg5514720#msg5514720
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2017, 11:27:22 PM »

Its a Constitutional Amendment, not a bill.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2017, 02:55:42 AM »

Where's the victory and concesssion speeches

Their campaign threads I think. Never posted his I know.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2017, 12:33:50 PM »

Wouldn't be Atlasia without a problem with an election. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2017, 02:46:23 PM »

According to the Wiki, the Quota is determined by dividing the number of ballots by the number of seats, plus one; the Quota is 11 instead of 12 because you always round down when counting currency (whether money, votes, or whatnot). For the record, it doesn't change anything if the Quota is 13; in that scenario, the only candidate with a surplus is Peebs, and OneJ and 1184AZ had more second preferences than Cashew among Peebs voters.

So our statutes don't have the same formula as the wikipedia page for STV, which is:
{Valid Votes/(Seats+1)}+1

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2017, 04:59:07 PM »

I'd still second preference Maxwell and Smilo.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2017, 01:36:32 AM »

After finding a way to view that tiny spreadsheet, we (like everyone in both parties) discovered that there was a voter missed in Dereich's count.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2017, 11:18:23 AM »

Yeah you have Drew at 12 votes but only have 11 names down in his box.

Yea, Siren's vote is what gets Drew to 11, not 12.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2017, 11:48:05 AM »

NC Yankee 13
Leinad 12
Santander 12
Pesimistic 11
Dereich 12  (w/ Peterthlee's vote)
Simossad 12
Peebs 12
OneJ 12
Clyde 12
Drew 10 (11 w/ Siren's)

Since it is a floor function, the quota rounds down to 12 according to PiT.  NC Yankee is elected with surplus; Leinad, Santander, Dereich, Simossad, Peebs, OneJ and Clyde are elected at quota

10 of my voters preferenced Pessimistic over Drew, 2 preferenced Drew over Pessimistic and 1 Preferenced neither. Clyde calculated everyone's surplus, which only narrows the gap by .11. He has 11.71 and 11.24 doing it his probably more accurate way. My quick and dirty calculation of just my surplus has 11.76 and 11.15 

Either way my surplus gives more to pessimistic than Drew. Drew is eliminated and Pessimistic is elected without quota.

Also, in case anyone is wondering.

HPV:
Fed+ACP+IND is 60  50.42%
Labor is 59               49.58%

How many would like a House result that mirrors the PV that closely in RL? Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2017, 01:46:56 AM »

I think the quota is wrong

Floor (Valid Votes Cast/[Seats+1])+1

I had 119 votes cast validly in the House election. Does anyone else have that number?

119/10 (Seats+1) is 11.9

floor function rounds down according to PiT back in April.

That means 11+1 equal 12.

If I am wrong on the number of votes and it was 120 or higher, the quota is 13 instead of 12.

I don't see where 14 was obtained, unless they used a different formula or have a different interpretation of the formula from PiT.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 06:12:07 AM »
« Edited: August 19, 2017, 06:20:36 AM by People's Speaker North Carolina Yankee »

The fact that both major political parties regularly settle for a narrow 5-4 majority seems strange. Is there any particular reason that parties don't often go for a bigger majority?
Because of the voting system employed for elections to the House, fielding more candidates than your opposition presents a strategic weakness, because it ensures that your share of the vote will be more thinly spread and thus increases the likelihood that your candidates will be the first eliminated. There's also the fact that candidates are needed for other offices as well (Senate, regional legislatures, etc.), and every candidate put towards attaining a super majority in the House is a candidate taken away from one of those races.

Not as much of a strategic weakness (though it can be), as it is just very impractical to crack the 60% of the vote you would need and then even more beyond that nationwide to win a 6th seat, which means that it is indeed a potential candidate for another office running a near impossible bid for house.

If you count accepted write-ins, both parties are running six and for a time Cora was even beating me for a House seat for most of yesterday as a Labor write-in.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2017, 11:09:24 PM »

Am I eligible to vote in the federal? (I don't really know where to ask this, so... Smiley)

Its on the ballot:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2017, 11:20:30 PM »

Am I eligible to vote in the federal? (I don't really know where to ask this, so... Smiley)

Its on the ballot:

Ok, thank you.

95% of every mistake made in Atlasian voting occurs because people do not read the ballot carefully.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2017, 02:25:54 AM »

Its atlasia, of course they want to see the dirty work, just like the dirty laundry and the dirty talk.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2017, 01:25:43 AM »

Just have to ask, is the Federalist Party still in existence?

Of course it is.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2017, 01:16:54 AM »

Round 4:

wxtransit - 8.171665898
ReaganClinton20XX - 7.998269497
1184AZ - 7.460371481

thumb21 - 7.172963775

Wow, that is close...

...and that is not close. Tongue

Somewhere, bgwah is smiling. Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2018, 12:09:09 AM »

Not yet. The only major election I see coming next month is the Southern election, which will start on January 19th and end on the 21st.

Will Fremont elections also be occurring in January to your knowledge?
If Kamala calls a snap election. If she doesn't, I believe the next election is due in February.
It will be in January regardless; parliament is up for election every three months, and since the current term began in November, the next elections are slated for January.

Ok, thanks.
Right, I am an idiot. Upon consulting the Constitution, the next election will actually be in February (barring an early election). Now, if you will excuse me, I am late for a course in remedial counting.

lol too err is... Tongue
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2018, 01:37:15 PM »
« Edited: February 20, 2018, 01:39:38 PM by People's Speaker North Carolina Yankee »

At-large is never a head to head contest. Never has been, never will be, even if for a fleeting moment it will be, until the final votes are cast the whole field is in flux. Then you find out who came up short on that last count, especially when transfers are accounted for and there is a lot of transfers, with a number of candidates below quota.

In some ways that is a better system in that when it works probably in an ideal world (or at least my ideal world where all the candidates have earned their own voters both inside and outside the party and my PMs basically just serve as reminders that the elections have started), more representative in that sense. I have never yet seen a result that didn't match the Popular vote in an At-Large House election. April 2017 was perhaps the best test ever of that.

Granted, as is always the case in Atlasia, you have the potential for a post election chaos to erase an election result in an instant through party changes and scandals. This is partly why June was so maddening because we won a massive landslide and then DFW got fidgety and bolted for for funsies.

But the election method works! Now if only we could get more then nine or 10 candidates (or go down to seven seats) Tongue

Also, while extremely unlikely, if I were to be given the chance to appoint a Fed, I probably look at Jimmy or Koopa first as newer people with similar views and backgrounds to RC (Assembly service etc).
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2018, 01:29:01 AM »

Highest quota since the reset and formation of the house.

Previous high was 13, which was hit in three elections I think.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2018, 10:26:32 PM »

April 2017 all over again.

North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2019, 12:48:36 AM »

Since ASV failed to provide a sheet of preferences, I'll just make a list of who got elected, and how many first preferences they got, courtesy of Wulfric. If anyone can provide me with a sheet of preferences, I should be able to get the details calculated relatively quickly.

Elcaspar (inc.) - 17
Blair2015 (inc.) - 16

fhtagn (inc.) - 16
razze (inc.) - 16
tack50 - 16
thumb21 (inc.) - 16

LouisvilleThunder (inc.) - 14
ReaganClinton (inc.) - 14
lfromnj - 13

Lakigigar - 6
Write-in: Weatherboy1102 - 2
Write-in: Pericles - 1
Write-in: Peebs - 1

tack edited his vote and Wulfric didn't notice, the actual first prefs are Tack 15, Blair 17

Also, I'm pretty certain archon's vote for lfromnj will be invalid, given he only has 18 posts. That should additionally bring lfromnj down to 12 votes.

What the hell is pretty certain mean? All of his posts are after the validity window's commencement's he is more than valid.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 17, 2019, 01:01:39 AM »

It hasn't been higher than mid teens in years. I remember when it was 50 posts, but that was a long time ago.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 17, 2019, 01:12:43 AM »

It hasn't been higher than mid teens in years. I remember when it was 50 posts, but that was a long time ago.

Must be confusing it with something else then. Weird, I could have sworn it was always 20 posts to register.
Wait, didn't it used to be 10 posts to register and another 10 posts to be eligible to vote, or something like that?

They were always separate calculations. There is no condition in the Electoral Act of 2016 regarding 10 posts in last 8 weeks.
North Carolina Yankee
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2019, 01:16:22 AM »

Navigation & Joining the Game
When you decide to join Atlasia, you must first register as a citizen by posting your username, party preference (if any), and in-game home state in the New Register Thread linked below. In addition to the fifty real-life states, you may register as a citizen of the District of Columbia (Nyman); the island of Puerto Rico (a state in the Southern Region); or any of the following constituencies of the United Kingdom: England, Gibraltar, Northern Ireland, Scotland, and Wales. Users must have an account at least seven days (168 hours) old and have made at least fifteen posts on the forum before they can register as a citizen.
Pages: [1] 2  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies