Pro-life/pro-choice according to the SurveyUSA poll. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:26:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Pro-life/pro-choice according to the SurveyUSA poll. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pro-life/pro-choice according to the SurveyUSA poll.  (Read 3459 times)
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« on: July 20, 2005, 03:41:29 AM »

And yet pro-life candidates keep kicking your asses.  Man, must suck to be you Smiley

"The Kids got a point", not that most of the party will ever admit it anytime soon, but things seem to be moving to a more moderate and less militant stance on the issue, the pro-choice lobbyists are less cocky than they once where and pro-lifers are being more readily accepted and promoted by the party leadership... still a long way to go though.

As for how the country breaks down, I don't think its as easy as saying which states are "Pro-Life" vs which are "Pro-choice", a great number of states would fit into supporting keeping abortion legal but restricting it or leaving it up to the states to decide… so if we include a middle option where you have states which back restrictions, but not necessarily an outright band, things look more like this… 

Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2005, 02:06:49 PM »

Sorry if this was discussed elsewhere but in the SurveyUSA governor poll they also asked the broad "pro-choice or pro-life" question, here's the results by state:

Pro-choice: 483 EV
Pro-life: 52 EV

Utah is the only state where pro-life garnered a majority of the votes.

That map of this survey is somewhat hard to believe

Some people are pro-choice (i.e. it's the woman's right to choose and nobody elses); other's are anti-abortion - period; while the rest, and possibly the largest single plurality (or, indeed, a majority), favour abortion when a matter of necessity (i.e. suporting restrictions). Has this latter group, somehow, been incorporated with the pro-choicers?

Dave

I think the answer must be that the question asked was something like “should abortion be legal or illegal” which will naturally produce a result which shows most of the country in favour of keeping it legal, but at the same time it doesn’t take into account the fact that, as you say, the vast majority of Americans favour keeping abortion legal when it necessary but favour restricts on it as the law presently stands, for example most people strongly support banning partial birth abortions and reduce the period in which an abortion is legal except in extreme circumstances.   

Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies