Pro-life/pro-choice according to the SurveyUSA poll.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:01:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Pro-life/pro-choice according to the SurveyUSA poll.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pro-life/pro-choice according to the SurveyUSA poll.  (Read 3460 times)
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 19, 2005, 12:42:24 AM »

Sorry if this was discussed elsewhere but in the SurveyUSA governor poll they also asked the broad "pro-choice or pro-life" question, here's the results by state:

Pro-choice: 483 EV
Pro-life: 52 EV

Utah is the only state where pro-life garnered a majority of the votes.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2005, 12:47:59 AM »

It was posted before. I just forget where. Anyway, this gives me another chance to laugh. North Dakota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Nebraska, Alabama, South Carolina, North Carolina, Idaho, Kansas....Pro Choice? Sure.  Roll Eyes
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 01:12:43 AM »

Texas is not pro-choice majority state.  Sorry, lived there too long and that is wrong.

I think I explained why in a post to Jesus at an earlier point, but I'm too lazy to look for it.  Smiley
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 01:51:44 AM »

And yet pro-life candidates keep kicking your asses.  Man, must suck to be you Smiley
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 02:50:11 PM »

Beat you!

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=25314.msg552019#msg552019

Washington was over 60%, BTW.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 02:53:49 PM »

What was the question on this poll BTW? It looks like a keep Roe v. Wade legal poll. It certainly didn't ask anything more in depth than pro-choice/pro-life.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 10:06:43 PM »

What was the question on this poll BTW? It looks like a keep Roe v. Wade legal poll. It certainly didn't ask anything more in depth than pro-choice/pro-life.

I dunno that's all it said on the survey results
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2005, 03:41:29 AM »

And yet pro-life candidates keep kicking your asses.  Man, must suck to be you Smiley

"The Kids got a point", not that most of the party will ever admit it anytime soon, but things seem to be moving to a more moderate and less militant stance on the issue, the pro-choice lobbyists are less cocky than they once where and pro-lifers are being more readily accepted and promoted by the party leadership... still a long way to go though.

As for how the country breaks down, I don't think its as easy as saying which states are "Pro-Life" vs which are "Pro-choice", a great number of states would fit into supporting keeping abortion legal but restricting it or leaving it up to the states to decide… so if we include a middle option where you have states which back restrictions, but not necessarily an outright band, things look more like this… 

Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2005, 12:30:40 PM »

Sorry if this was discussed elsewhere but in the SurveyUSA governor poll they also asked the broad "pro-choice or pro-life" question, here's the results by state:

That map of this survey is somewhat hard to believe

Some people are pro-choice (i.e. it's the woman's right to choose and nobody elses); other's are anti-abortion - period; while the rest, and possibly the largest single plurality (or, indeed, a majority), favour abortion when a matter of necessity (i.e. suporting restrictions). Has this latter group, somehow, been incorporated with the pro-choicers?

Dave
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2005, 02:06:49 PM »

Some people are pro-choice (i.e. it's the woman's right to choose and nobody elses); other's are anti-abortion - period; while the rest, and possibly the largest single plurality (or, indeed, a majority), favour abortion when a matter of necessity (i.e. suporting restrictions). Has this latter group, somehow, been incorporated with the pro-choicers?

Dave

I think the answer must be that the question asked was something like “should abortion be legal or illegal” which will naturally produce a result which shows most of the country in favour of keeping it legal, but at the same time it doesn’t take into account the fact that, as you say, the vast majority of Americans favour keeping abortion legal when it necessary but favour restricts on it as the law presently stands, for example most people strongly support banning partial birth abortions and reduce the period in which an abortion is legal except in extreme circumstances.   

tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2005, 11:50:17 AM »

Remind me what social issues carried Bush to election?  It couldn't have been abortion.  I guess it was all the homosexual marriage referendums.  I have to say that's one of the best moves in political history.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2005, 12:37:09 AM »

BS
KillerPollo
Mexico

Political Matrix
E: -3.15, S: -0.82

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2005, 10:17:51 PM »

Dave

I think the answer must be that the question asked was something like “should abortion be legal or illegal” which will naturally produce a result which shows most of the country in favour of keeping it legal, but at the same time it doesn’t take into account the fact that, as you say, the vast majority of Americans favour keeping abortion legal when it necessary but favour restricts on it as the law presently stands, for example most people strongly support banning partial birth abortions and reduce the period in which an abortion is legal except in extreme circumstances.   

wow! that is one biased as hell map! not THAT many people support it! come on!
PADem

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2005, 10:44:58 PM »

I think I explained why in a post to Jesus at an earlier point, but I'm too lazy to look for it.  Smiley

Heh even religion moves with the times. Praying not fashinable these days?
The Duke
JohnD.Ford
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: -1.23

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2005, 09:50:26 AM »

Large majorities in Georgia and Texas back abortion rights?  That does not pass the smell test.
FerrisBueller86
jhsu

« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2005, 10:21:23 PM »

Since I'm strongly pro-choice, I'm pleased to see that pro-choice wins in a landslide.  As I expected, Utah and the Dixie are the least pro-choice and the Northeast is the most pro-choice.

I'm not sure how accurate the map is on an absolute basis, so I'll comment on the relative figures.

I can't believe that Arkansas (Bill Clinton's home state) is less pro-choice than Alabama and South Carolina.

I can't believe that Alaska, Kansas (the state with something the matter with it), Indiana (ultra-conservative), Texas (Bush's home state), North Carolina (home of Jesse Helms), and Georgia (Zell Miller's home state) are the same color as much more liberal states like Washington (Democratic since 1988), Illinois (where many Republicans are pro-choice), Wisconsin, Minnesota (the state Reagan never carried, not even in 1984), and Iowa (home of Senator Harkin).  I can't believe that Colorado, Montana, Florida, and Ohio are more pro-choice than the preceding more liberal states and the same colar as much more liberal states like Oregon, California, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, Rhode Island, and Maine.
RBH

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2005, 03:39:27 AM »

Some of the people who favor legal abortion for rape/incest/health say pro-life, more say pro-choice.

Both labels are really inaccurate. But both sides intended that.

I favor ways to reduce the number of unwanted conceptions, which would reduce abortions and unwanted children.

The messege of "If you don't want kids, don't do things that carry a good chance of pregnancy" has to be put out to people harder.

(Granted, "If you don't want kids, perform oral on each other" isn't ready for prime time)
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2005, 03:51:14 PM »

Since I'm strongly pro-choice, I'm pleased to see that pro-choice wins in a landslide.  As I expected, Utah and the Dixie are the least pro-choice and the Northeast is the most pro-choice.

I'm not sure how accurate the map is on an absolute basis, so I'll comment on the relative figures.

I can't believe that Arkansas (Bill Clinton's home state) is less pro-choice than Alabama and South Carolina.

I can't believe that Alaska, Kansas (the state with something the matter with it), Indiana (ultra-conservative), Texas (Bush's home state), North Carolina (home of Jesse Helms), and Georgia (Zell Miller's home state) are the same color as much more liberal states like Washington (Democratic since 1988), Illinois (where many Republicans are pro-choice), Wisconsin, Minnesota (the state Reagan never carried, not even in 1984), and Iowa (home of Senator Harkin).  I can't believe that Colorado, Montana, Florida, and Ohio are more pro-choice than the preceding more liberal states and the same colar as much more liberal states like Oregon, California, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, Rhode Island, and Maine.
North Carolina is definitely pro-Roe.  I'd say 53-47.  South Carolina:  Don't know, but likely 51-49 pro-Wade.  Georgia:  Probably 51-49, pro-Roe.
Three things I think we should do:
(1)  Encourage abstinence, but also discuss/provide contraception.
(2)  To be blunt, we should force girls into math and science.  Or if not academically inclined provide girls with vocational training (the earlier, the better).
(3)  Encourage adoption, more lenient abandonment laws (you can leave a newborn at the hospital, for instance).
(4)  Disperse emergency contraception.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies