TX Gov.: Chris Bell's a Joke (trailing Kinky Friedman's fundraising) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:49:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  TX Gov.: Chris Bell's a Joke (trailing Kinky Friedman's fundraising) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: TX Gov.: Chris Bell's a Joke (trailing Kinky Friedman's fundraising)  (Read 1960 times)
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« on: July 19, 2005, 02:23:06 AM »

I wonder how well Friedman will do in the General against Bell?
It will be interesting whether Friedman gets on the ballot.  It takes around 45,000 signatures to get on the ballot.  The signatures have to be from voters who did not participate in the Republican or Democrat primaries, nor caucuses of the Libertarian or Green parties.  In 2004, Nader was unable to do it (it is the same standard for any statewide office or statewide party)
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2005, 07:57:37 AM »

John Kerry was at the Tour de France today to watch Lance Armstrong.  He said he wants Lance to run for Texas Governor and then made some boring half-assed jokes.

Armstrong said he would probably run for political office after he retires from biking, but he is a declared Republican (with a Communist girlfriend) so John Kerry might be barking up the wrong tree.  If it was a Democratic candidacy, no doubt he would do a lot better in fundraising and overall results than Chris Bell.
Armstrong a Republican? I've seen him referred to as a Democrat umpteen times...
I thought he was anti-war for some reason.
I did a search on him and various words like Democrat and Republican and politics in the Houston Chronicle and most of the matches were somewhat peripheral, like politicians wanting to be seen with him (for example he was a guest at Geoge Bush's first state dinner).  Kirk Watson, form mayor of Austin and Democrat candidate for Texas Attorney General in 2000, is (was?) a member of the board of Armstrong's foundation, but is also a survivor of testicular cancer.  In 2003, when Friedman was musing about running for Governor he said that he would probably run unless Willie Nelson or Lance Armstrong did.  In an interview earlier this month, Armstrong was asked if he was interested in getting into politics, he said that the press conferences were his least favorite part of bicycle racing, so why would he want a job that would require a press conference every day.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies