TX Gov.: Chris Bell's a Joke (trailing Kinky Friedman's fundraising)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:35:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  TX Gov.: Chris Bell's a Joke (trailing Kinky Friedman's fundraising)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: TX Gov.: Chris Bell's a Joke (trailing Kinky Friedman's fundraising)  (Read 1937 times)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 18, 2005, 11:31:13 PM »

Article on the Denton-Record Chronicle.  So much for all the Dems that said Chris Bell might have a chance!

Fundraising for the Forum Candidates
Gov. Perry (R) $2.3 million raised with $8.4 million on hand
Strayhorn (R) $1.5 million raised with $7 million on hand
Friedman (I)  $300,000 raised with $17,000 on hand
Bell (D) $150,000 raised with $25,000 on hand
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2005, 11:58:27 PM »

This is news???

Everyone in Texas pretty much knows the race is between Strayhorn and Perry.  Next.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2005, 01:52:23 AM »

YAY Strayhorn!
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2005, 02:08:22 AM »

I wonder how well Friedman will do in the General against Bell?
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2005, 02:23:06 AM »

It will be interesting whether Friedman gets on the ballot.  It takes around 45,000 signatures to get on the ballot.  The signatures have to be from voters who did not participate in the Republican or Democrat primaries, nor caucuses of the Libertarian or Green parties.  In 2004, Nader was unable to do it (it is the same standard for any statewide office or statewide party)
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2005, 04:34:17 PM »

Friedman should go for the Democratic nomination as the Texas Democratic party loves to support lost causes.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2005, 04:56:49 PM »

Friedman should go for the Democratic nomination as the Texas Democratic party loves to support lost causes.

He'd do better than Bell Grin
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2005, 06:08:50 PM »

It will be interesting whether Friedman gets on the ballot.  It takes around 45,000 signatures to get on the ballot.  The signatures have to be from voters who did not participate in the Republican or Democrat primaries, nor caucuses of the Libertarian or Green parties.  In 2004, Nader was unable to do it (it is the same standard for any statewide office or statewide party)

Yep, Texas has a pretty hard standard to meet to actually get on the ballot.  Still, I would predict he does.

I would have to assume the Democrats would get a better candidate than Bell, but since it's the Texas Democrats, I'm not that sure.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2005, 12:36:44 PM »

John Kerry was at the Tour de France today to watch Lance Armstrong.  He said he wants Lance to run for Texas Governor and then made some boring half-assed jokes.

Armstrong said he would probably run for political office after he retires from biking, but he is a declared Republican (with a Communist girlfriend) so John Kerry might be barking up the wrong tree.  If it was a Democratic candidacy, no doubt he would do a lot better in fundraising and overall results than Chris Bell.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2005, 07:15:43 AM »

John Kerry was at the Tour de France today to watch Lance Armstrong.  He said he wants Lance to run for Texas Governor and then made some boring half-assed jokes.

Armstrong said he would probably run for political office after he retires from biking, but he is a declared Republican (with a Communist girlfriend) so John Kerry might be barking up the wrong tree.  If it was a Democratic candidacy, no doubt he would do a lot better in fundraising and overall results than Chris Bell.
Armstrong a Republican? I've seen him referred to as a Democrat umpteen times...
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2005, 07:29:02 AM »

Armstrong a Republican? I've seen him referred to as a Democrat umpteen times...
I thought he was anti-war for some reason.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2005, 07:57:37 AM »

I thought he was anti-war for some reason.
I did a search on him and various words like Democrat and Republican and politics in the Houston Chronicle and most of the matches were somewhat peripheral, like politicians wanting to be seen with him (for example he was a guest at Geoge Bush's first state dinner).  Kirk Watson, form mayor of Austin and Democrat candidate for Texas Attorney General in 2000, is (was?) a member of the board of Armstrong's foundation, but is also a survivor of testicular cancer.  In 2003, when Friedman was musing about running for Governor he said that he would probably run unless Willie Nelson or Lance Armstrong did.  In an interview earlier this month, Armstrong was asked if he was interested in getting into politics, he said that the press conferences were his least favorite part of bicycle racing, so why would he want a job that would require a press conference every day.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2005, 08:04:00 AM »

Ah, Wikipedia.
"Political possibilities
In an interview with the New York Times, teammate George Hincapie hinted at Armstrong possibly running for Governor of Texas after retiring from cycling. In the July 2005 issue of Outside magazine (http://outside.away.com/outside/toc/200507.html), Armstrong himself hinted at possibly running for Governor, although "not in '06." By Texas political standards, he would almost certainly run as a Democrat, as he has described himself in the past as being "left of center," "against mixing up State and Church," "not keen on guns," opposed to the Iraq War, and pro-choice."
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2005, 08:07:03 AM »

Ah, Wikipedia.
"Political possibilities
In an interview with the New York Times, teammate George Hincapie hinted at Armstrong possibly running for Governor of Texas after retiring from cycling. In the July 2005 issue of Outside magazine (http://outside.away.com/outside/toc/200507.html), Armstrong himself hinted at possibly running for Governor, although "not in '06." By Texas political standards, he would almost certainly run as a Democrat, as he has described himself in the past as being "left of center," "against mixing up State and Church," "not keen on guns," opposed to the Iraq War, and pro-choice."

I never realized Armstrong was socially liberal, I just thought he was anti-war. Pro-choice, not keen on guns, against mixing up state and church, he'd be attacked viciously if he ever ran for anything in Texas.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2005, 01:07:56 PM »

Ah, Wikipedia.
"Political possibilities

I never realized Armstrong was socially liberal, I just thought he was anti-war. Pro-choice, not keen on guns, against mixing up state and church, he'd be attacked viciously if he ever ran for anything in Texas.

Yep, I don't know whether even the celebrity factor would overcome issue problems like those in Texas, especially the gun beliefs.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2005, 01:12:25 PM »

Depends what "not keen on guns" was supposed to mean...what if it just meant "well, I'm not personally interested in them; I wouldn't want one in my house"?
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2005, 01:29:44 PM »

Depends what "not keen on guns" was supposed to mean...what if it just meant "well, I'm not personally interested in them; I wouldn't want one in my house"?

That response would be even less popular than a simple "I believe in background checks, etc." He'd lose the Austin liberal vote with that sort of equivocation.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2005, 01:34:53 PM »

Let's just assume he didn`t say that on the campaign trail and that it`s a snippet from some old interview way back, and that he`d get a stance if he ever ran for office, or preferably some months before, okay? Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies