Prediction Maps for 2006 Races…
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 01:01:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Prediction Maps for 2006 Races…
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Prediction Maps for 2006 Races…  (Read 3923 times)
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2005, 04:48:11 PM »

Nussle seems to be a very strong candidate and Vilsack being unpopular doesn't help the Democrats, either.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2005, 05:02:24 PM »

I think the following seats will switch:

Dem->Rep:  VA, IA, IL
Rep->Dem: NY, MD, MA, CA, OH

I think Roy Moore will challenge Riley and keep the Alabama seat red (barely)

I think Murkowski is a weak incumbent in Alaska, but the Democratic party up there is just plain awful.

I haven't looked into the Wisconsin race enough to get a feel for it.

Michigan is also a very viable pick-up for the Republicans if they can find a good challenger.

Colorado also leans/slight Democrat if Salazar retires from the Senate to run for Governor, but I think as a freshman governor, he won't do that.

Everything else should remain the same.

Who do the Republicans have in Illinois that can win?  I know Blagojevich is unpopular, but unless the GOP recruits someone from Congress, I don't see how they defeat him.  I think Wisconsin and Michigan are more or less the same situation.

Wisconsin has Scott Walker, Milwaukee County Executive. Last election he won 58% of Milwaukee County, Doyle won less to get his 45% of the vote for his win. If Walker gets past the primaries he can easily defeat Doyle.
Wishful thinking.
Ben.
Ben
YaBB God

« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2005, 05:18:34 PM »

I think Murkowski is a weak incumbent in Alaska, but the Democratic party up there is just plain awful.

Michigan is also a very viable pick-up for the Republicans if they can find a good challenger.

Colorado also leans/slight Democrat if Salazar retires from the Senate to run for Governor, but I think as a freshman governor, he won't do that.

Who do the Republicans have in Illinois that can win?  I know Blagojevich is unpopular, but unless the GOP recruits someone from Congress, I don't see how they defeat him.  I think Wisconsin and Michigan are more or less the same situation.

Wisconsin has Scott Walker, Milwaukee County Executive. Last election he won 58% of Milwaukee County, Doyle won less to get his 45% of the vote for his win. If Walker gets past the primaries he can easily defeat Doyle.
Wishful thinking.

Out of interest what is the situation in Wisconsin? I have to confess I’m pretty ignorant, I can imagine that Doyle will have to fight for re-election, but as to how seriously he’s threatened, the quality of the potential GOP candidates, the mood across the state, etc… I really don’t know; care to fill me, and anyone else who’s in the dark, in?       
Sarnstrom
sarnstrom54014

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2005, 05:50:19 PM »

Wishful thinking.

Out of interest what is the situation in Wisconsin? I have to confess I’m pretty ignorant, I can imagine that Doyle will have to fight for re-election, but as to how seriously he’s threatened, the quality of the potential GOP candidates, the mood across the state, etc… I really don’t know; care to fill me, and anyone else who’s in the dark, in?       
Doyle isn't going anywhere. First off, Mark Green will beat Scott Walker in the primary easily. So the general will have Doyle vs Green, and Doyle will likely win by 53-47 or 54-46.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2005, 08:29:51 PM »

Doyle isn't as vulnerable as some like to think.
He will carry Dane and Milwaukee counties big time.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2005, 10:41:27 PM »

Hickenlooper and Salazar could win it if they ran and Knowles could win it if he ran.  All three are unlikely to run though.

I could see Hick going for it, but Ken Salazar seems less likely.  With 4 years left in his Senate term, and no tough challengers on the horizon for 2010, I doubt he would give it all up for a chance to be Governor.  How about John Salazar, though?

Is Knowles eligible to run again after already serving 2 terms?

I asked AKSaber once and I think he said Knowles is ineligible to run again.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2005, 07:08:34 AM »

Doyle isn't as vulnerable as some like to think.
He will carry Dane and Milwaukee counties big time.

Mark Green won't automatically win, Walker has a really good chance because he's liked down here in southeastern Wisconsin. And if Walker gets the nomination Doyle will have to fight a lot harder for Milwaukee County. Walker run re-election and won a higher percentage of the vote in the county than Doyle did when he became Governor. And so far for the last 3 months the highest Doyle has gotten in the polls is 46% and the lowest 41%.  If it continues on the way it is now he'll either stay the same (43% currently) or go down in the polls. If he goes down he'll have to fight hard seeing as how he only won 45% (or was it 46%) of the vote when he won in the first place. Plus there was the 10% that voted Libertarian in the last election because of how dirty it was, at least 9% will be coming back to vote for either the Democrat of the Republican. They won't stick with Ed Thompson.
AkSaber
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -8.00

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2005, 05:05:34 PM »

I don't think Murkowski is in such bad shape as everyone seems to think. His reelection isn't a sure-thing, but it is not impossible.

He wanted tax hikes and some benefit cuts which the public didn't like too much. He also did some odd things. Like when he was in the middle of cutting spending to save the economy, he wanted to trade-in the governor's prop-propelled plane for a jet. Now most thought it was unnecessary, especially when his administration was tough on spending.

85% of the Alaska state economy comes from oil. With the high price of oil, it means good times for Alaska. Smiley The budget deficit has gotten smaller. The state has more money to spend, and Murkowski has even proposed an increase in education spending. So I think he is not as in trouble as some may think, but I'm not taking anything for granted.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2005, 01:36:04 PM »

I don't think Murkowski is in such bad shape as everyone seems to think. His reelection isn't a sure-thing, but it is not impossible.

He wanted tax hikes and some benefit cuts which the public didn't like too much. He also did some odd things. Like
appointing his daughter to the Senate. Wink
tarheel-leftist85
krustytheklown
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2005, 05:56:32 PM »

He wanted tax hikes and some benefit cuts which the public didn't like too much. He also did some odd things. Like
Nepotism:  It's a good thing Wink
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2005, 06:12:38 PM »

But she was elected in her own right against a *strong* challenger. She's her own gal now (as is The Other Woman, D-NY)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2005, 10:29:01 AM »

Haven't been paying much attention, so I wouldn't even hazzard a guess at making any predictions just yet

Even where incumbents have low approval ratings, there's still time for them to bounce back. For some poor buggers, like Taft though I think the writing's on the wall - but I wouldn't be surprised if the gimmick (yes, Arnold - you can't really expect me to complementary after that infantile slur of his - "Don't be economic girlie men" - at the RNC) over in California turns out to be some kind of political Houdini

Still, I'd like to think Democrats will be a majority Wink come 2006

Dave
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #37 on: July 31, 2005, 02:09:20 AM »

Haven't been paying much attention, so I wouldn't even hazzard a guess at making any predictions just yet

Even where incumbents have low approval ratings, there's still time for them to bounce back. For some poor buggers, like Taft though I think the writing's on the wall - but I wouldn't be surprised if the gimmick (yes, Arnold - you can't really expect me to complementary after that infantile slur of his - "Don't be economic girlie men" - at the RNC) over in California turns out to be some kind of political Houdini

Still, I'd like to think Democrats will be a majority Wink come 2006

Dave

Taft is barred from seeking a third term so he isn't running again.  Yeah the Democrats have the best chance of taking the majority in something w/Governorships (good chances in AL, AK (weaker), AR, CA, CO, FL (weaker), GA (weaker), KY (2007, weaker), MD, MA,  MS (2007, weaker), NY, OH while the GOP pickup chances are in IL, IA, ME (weaker), MI (weaker), NH (weaker), OK (if Watts runs), OR (weaker), PA, WI)
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2005, 05:16:23 AM »

Taft is barred from seeking a third term so he isn't running again

Probably just as well then. Only time will tell if Taft's dire ratings affect the chances of the GOP candidate

Dave
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies